Apple CEO Tim Cook 'outed' as gay by CNBC co-achor

Comments

• Reply 141 of 199
    Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

It seems that Mr. Stewart was under the wrong impression that it was common knowledge that TC was gay (which I mistakenly thought too) and was trying to compliment him for being both open and very effective at his job.

Well, no.

Mr. Stewart said John Browne was the first CEO to acknowledge being gay, and that other gay CEOs refuses to be named for his story.

It was Simon Hobbs who thought it was common knowledge.

• Reply 142 of 199
    ollebolle wrote: »
    I'm disappointed in that he doesn't dare to come out publicly. He has nothing to worry about, his life, financially, is set. Why doesn't he show himself as a potential role model? Especially when they want to make it seem Apple is such a value-abundant company...

You apparently didn't read the part where the CNBC guests were talking about what happened to BP CEO John Browne when he was outed. You should be disappointed that it caused a scandal and resulted in Browne's resignation, not that more CEOs don't come out and be your role model.

Apple (the public corporation) has taken stands on social issues that define its values, and that's solely what defines Apple's values. And one of Apple's values is user privacy, is it not?
  • Reply 143 of 199
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ollebolle wrote: »
    I'm disappointed in that he doesn't dare to come out publicly. He has nothing to worry about, his life, financially, is set. Why doesn't he show himself as a potential role model? Especially when they want to make it seem Apple is such a value-abundant company...
    According to twitter and Instagram Cook is at the pride event in SF today. Lots of selfies with Apple employees. I think that's as close as we'll get to him publicly coming out.

• Reply 144 of 199
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pacrimfred View Post

Apple Insider is the only Junk publication that chose to include this in their postings.

Are you saying the other "junk" publications didn't? You'll have to list them, because there are plenty of websites that have this story.

I signed up tonight just to make this point.

Great going. Your point is wrong.

Other publications have the restraint/insight to ignore this type of nonsense.

Again, which other publications, because LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE OTHER PUBLICATION HAS A VARIANT.

Your publication is just perpetuating the crap of getting eyeballs on a somewhat suspect online resource.

Welcome to the rumor business, kid. No, this specific story has absolutely no place here, but this is what we do.

• Reply 145 of 199
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, no.

Mr. Stewart said John Browne was the first CEO to acknowledge being gay, and that other gay CEOs refuses to be named for his story.

It was Simon Hobbs who thought it was common knowledge.

Thank you, I stand corrected.

• Reply 146 of 199
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    According to twitter and Instagram Cook is at the pride event in SF today. Lots of selfies with Apple employees. I think that's as close as we'll get to him publicly coming out.

[image]

Supporting gay rights in no way means you're homosexual. I support equal rights and have even participated in a breast cancer event. Now it is possible for males to get breast cancer but I don't have nor have never had it and I'm not female (you'll just have to take my word for it).
  • Reply 147 of 199
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    mstone wrote: »
    Marvin wrote: »
    Being a workaholic lifelong bachelor is not a commendable way to live.
    Why? It is generally believed that Jesus was dedicated to the work of teaching and also never married.

Yeah but Jesus died young so he didn't suffer long periods of loneliness and he had all those followers to keep him company. There are religious people who go through their lives without having relationships, the exceptions are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sexually_active_popes

and they seem ok outwardly but it's not very healthy. Nobody automatically assumes the popes are gay of course.

It's healthy to have friends and lovers. It's like Chrisann Brennan said, Steve Jobs was so moved by their relationship at times that he called up about their intimate moments 15 years later. It's a validation of your existence that someone else is willing to share in the most intimate things they can do physically.

It can tear people right up inside and you wouldn't know it. Just look at the recent case of Elliot Rodger who led a lonely life, never even convinced a girl to hold his hand and at just the age of 22 decided enough was enough and killed 7 people including himself and injured 13 others. He left a series of videos describing how he felt:

[VIDEO]

long video here:

He was a good looking guy, wealthy, his dad was assistant director on The Hunger Games but he never connected to anyone and he expressed it as anger. The other route to go is feeling really depressed all the time. A few examples here:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140126130753AA3OoOm "I'm depressed and lonely. I think about suicide daily. What do I do?"
    https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110209212246AAqVYst "i live alone and have trust issues i don't have any friends anymore and never had a lover. i am awkward and have social issues but not unfriendly or anything. i will be 31 this month."
    https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140219130816AAnR1Cc "I'm a soldier in the army, I am in my late 30's and alone. I spend a lot of my time alone, am always kind and thoughtful to people or try to be a good person. I try to help people to hide away from my own issues. But I look at my life with no meaning and full of hurt and loneliness and want to stop the pain."
    https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111206191402AAUWKsc "My life isn't great. I have no friends, nobody to talk to about anything. I don't go to school so I can't just "make friends". I've been suicidal for a long time always wanting to die, but never being able to do it. I'm 14 just in case anyone's wondering."

Loneliness was mentioned in the suicides of the Foxconn workers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10182824

"workers do 100 hours of overtime per month. They don't do anything but working there. They don't even talk to the people working next to them. Workers don't have much time to communicate with each other and they feel quite lonely. We work six days a week with one day off and every day we work two hours overtime."

Stephen Fry who is gay mentioned he'd tried to kill himself at one point:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/jun/05/stephen-fry-attempted-suicide-bipolar

"There are times when I'm doing QI and I'm going, 'Ha ha, yeah, yeah,' and inside I'm going 'I want to f*cking die. I … want … to … f*cking … die.'

He made a post here about feeling lonely:

http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/06/24/only-the-lonely/

"Lonely? I get invitation cards through the post almost every day. I shall be in the Royal Box at Wimbledon and I have serious and generous offers from friends asking me to join them in the South of France, Italy, Sicily, South Africa, British Columbia and America this summer. I have two months to start a book before I go off to Broadway for a run of Twelfth Night there.

I can read back that last sentence and see that, bipolar or not, if I’m under treatment and not actually depressed, what the f*ck right do I have to be lonely, unhappy or forlorn? I don’t have the right. But there again I don’t have the right not to have those feelings. Feelings are not something to which one does or does not have rights.

In the end loneliness is the most terrible and contradictory of my problems. I hate having only myself to come home to.

It’s not that I want a sexual partner, a long-term partner, someone to share a bed and a snuggle on the sofa with – although perhaps I do and in the past I have had and it has been joyful. But the fact is I value my privacy too. It’s a lose-lose matter. I don’t want to be alone, but I want to be left alone. Perhaps this is just a form of narcissism, vanity, overdemanding entitlement – give it whatever derogatory term you think it deserves. I don’t know the answer.

I suppose I just don’t like my own company very much. Which is odd, given how many times people very kindly tell me that they’d put me on their ideal dinner party guestlist. I do think I can usually be relied upon to be good company when I’m out and about and sitting round a table chatting, being silly, sharing jokes and stories and bringing shy people out of their shells.
    But then I get home and I’m all alone again.

Perhaps I am writing this for any of you out there who are lonely too. There’s not much we can do about it. I am luckier than many of you because I am lonely in a crowd of people who are mostly very nice to me and appear to be pleased to meet me. But I want you to know that you are not alone in your being alone.

Loneliness is not much written about (my spell-check wanted me to say that loveliness is not much written about – how wrong that is) but humankind is a social species and maybe it’s something we should think about more than we do. I cannot think of many plays or documentaries or novels about lonely people. Aah, look at them all, Paul McCartney enjoined us in Eleanor Rigby… where do they all come from?

The strange thing is, if you see me in the street and engage in conversation I will probably freeze into polite fear and smile inanely until I can get away to be on my lonely ownsome."

Tim Cook is 53 and outwardly, he might seem happy with his life but you don't know how people feel inside. Over 13,000 nights he might have gone home alone and hated it every time wondering why doesn't someone love him like they do other people. He's wealthy, successful, a nice guy and yet possibly very lonely and this can easily affect his work, though not necessarily in a bad way.

I always wonder why there isn't a more prominent social network for connecting people together that isn't explicitly a dating site. The problems you have with Facebook and Twitter is they aren't localized and they try to coerce you into connecting with people you might already know (e.g family). The problem with dating sites is that just using them is an indicator that you're looking for a date and can't find one by interacting with people. Also, people don't want that kind of profile out on the internet for everyone to see.

Maybe Apple could make their own social network through iTunes like they did with Ping but with a different purpose. It would have to be a network that Apple execs would be comfortable having a profile on so nothing explicitly about dating or sexuality. It wouldn't automatically try to connect you to people you knew and it may in fact be better trying to hide people it thinks you already know. There would be a profile that you could fill in interests, post a few pictures of yourself and your general location. People wouldn't have to mark down their sexuality but they could add interests that indicated it. The network would match up interests and similar locations and allow people to message each other without any payment fees and all messages would be private.

So Tim would sign up, make the profile, add a few interests that mentioned support of gay rights etc. When he logged on, it would show interest matches. He'd then get private messages from others in his locality. To send messages out, the network could allow anonymous messages not attached to a profile like a secret valentine card and the recipient could see that it came from a male and accept it or decline. They'd be able to initiate a Facetime or private iMessage rather than messages through the network to help prevent people easily copying and pasting private conversations to other social networks.

Profiles and content wouldn't be public like Facebook. It can hide unmatched interests until you gain the trust of another member and of course you'd be able to block a member entirely and you can block remote users that you might never meet anyway.

Helping people to connect with each other would be a good way for Apple to help prevent people feeling marginalised.
    sip wrote:
    Haven't they noticed that a lot of gay men tend to buff up their bodies in daily gym visits, and many of them could probably take on the role of Rambo.

Tim might be using gym visits as his social event. It's probably a good place for him to meet someone as they'd share his interest in fitness and if they can make it in at 5am, they'd share his interest in getting up in the middle of the night to exercise. I can't imagine there would be too many options with that criteria though. Maybe he should compromise and hit the gym around 8am and move everything he does at 8am back to 5am.
    clayp711 wrote:
    His homosexuality would explain the company's extreme endorsement as the largest supporter of PRODUCT(RED)

As Cook explained, Apple tries to promote human rights. They have the RED campaign, they publicly supported gay marriage:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/26/apple-issues-statement-in-support-of-supreme-court-gay-marriage-rulings/

Stephen Fry is a well known gay Apple supporter and he asked Steve Jobs if the Apple logo was a tribute to Alan Turing who committed suicide for being prosecuted for being gay:

http://frostysramblings.wordpress.com/2013/11/28/time-to-pardon-alan-turing-father-of-the-computer/

"Some say Apple computer’s logo commemorates Turing’s curious death. Turing admirer Stephen Fry asked the late Apple founder Steve Jobs if the story was true. “Sadly not” said Jobs “but God, I wish it were.”"

Apple has a number of gay employees. They hired a transexual a couple of years ago:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/154845/apple-hires-former-windows-security-hacker-to-strengthen-os-x

It's not really about promoting a personal agenda but recognising human suffering or vulnerability and taking measures to alleviate it to ultimately promote happiness.
  • Reply 148 of 199
    Did you know that Appleinsider is Gay! Oooooops, did I accidentally out them?
  • Reply 149 of 199
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I never got any gay vibes from Cook having only seen him in professional appearances. Is there any credible evidence of Cook and a partner? As far as I'm concerned, until there is or he says something, I will just consider him non-sexual because he doesn't present himself as either homosexual or heterosexual, just male.

There's a profile here that was speculating about Tim taking over as CEO back in 2008:

http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2008/11/09/technology/cook_apple.fortune/index2.htm

"Though he's capable of mirth, Cook's default facial expression is a frown, and his humor is of the dry variety.

Cook dresses casually in jeans, his graying hair cropped close in the style of Lance Armstrong, whom he idolizes.

While a select group can claim to understand Cook at work, almost nobody claims to know much about his life outside Apple. A lifelong bachelor, he lives in a rented house in Palo Alto, vacations in places like Yosemite and Zion national parks, and shows few visible signs of wealth despite having sold more than $100 million of Apple stock over the years.

Many consider Cook aloof, though it's just as likely he's off-the-charts shy.

"Tim's just not a real social person," says Gloski. "He's not antisocial, either. He just never seemed that interested in other people. I'm a hugger and a kisser, but I'd never feel comfortable giving Tim a hug or a kiss.""

That sounds a bit depressing. Someone should give Tim a hug. Shy people need them more than anyone.

It must be difficult trying to meet people when you have such a high profile. It's not like you can just sign up to any old dating site. You really need to maintain a social network. Steve Jobs met his girlfriends this way e.g:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/new-steve-jobs-bio-reveals-details-of-his-relationships-with-bob-dylan-bono-20111024

"In 1982, Jobs was introduced to Joan Baez by her sister Mimi Farina. He was 27 and she was 41. "It turned into a serious relationship between two accidental friends who became lovers," said Jobs. Some of his friends believed that one thing that drew Jobs to Baez was the fact that she used to date Bob Dylan. "Steve loved that connection to Dylan," said Jobs' college friend Elizabeth Holmes." The relationship fizzled out when it became clear that Jobs wanted children and Baez did not."

http://marriage.about.com/od/entrepreneurs/p/Laurene-Powell-And-Steve-Jobs-Marriage-Profile.htm

"Steve first met Laurene after noticing her in the front row at one of his speeches at Stanford University. He asked her out to dinner that night.

"I was in the parking lot with the key in the car, and I thought to myself, 'If this is my last night on earth, would I rather spend it at a business meeting or with this woman?' I ran across the parking lot, asked her if she'd have dinner with me. She said yes, we walked into town and we've been together ever since.""

He met Chrisann Brennan at university:

http://nypost.com/2013/10/15/steve-jobs-ex-reveals-their-explosive-relationship/

"Steve often said that he had a strong sense of having had a past life as a World War II pilot. He’d tell me how, when driving, he felt a strong impulse to pull the steering wheel back as if for takeoff. It was a curious thing for him to say, but he did have that sense of unadorned glamour from the forties. He loved the big band sound of Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, and Count Basie. At the first Apple party he even danced like he was from the forties.

Even after swapping rooms in this way, Steve and I still shared nights of lovemaking so profound that, astonishingly, some fifteen years later, he called me out of the blue to thank me for them. He was married at the time of his call and all I could think of was, Whoa . . . men . . . are . . . really . . . different. Imagine if I had called him to say such a thing."

The example of Laurene is a good representation of seizing opportunity when it comes along. Some people believe in serendipity: a purposeful confluence of events, but it's all just odds playing out. It's actually surprising that so many people end up in relationships when you think of all the variables of personality, attractiveness, location. I guess that's why people all tend to exhibit similar behaviour (dress code, meeting social expectations, politeness, attending similar social events) because it increases the chances of successful partnership.

The number of people identifying as homosexual in the US is apparently under 2%. There's probably more than that in reality but with such a small population, it's understandable that more homosexuals could lead a lonely life, especially when they don't make it clear that's the relationship they're looking for.

Ultimately, it's up to an individual what they want to get out of their life but if Tim does want to find a partner, he has to let people know what he wants, build up a social network and act on opportunities that come from it. Being a workaholic lifelong bachelor is not a commendable way to live.

I disagree with your viewpoint. If he wants to be a workaholic lifelong bachelor, let him. What's wrong with that?

You also intimate that he is shy or 'aloof,' as though those are bad things. If more people tended towards shyness and aloofness, the world would be a better place.

• Reply 150 of 199
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Now if Cook decided he wants to be a woman and starts wearing female clothes and schedules a gender change, then I'll worry.

Just curious about this comment.

Why is gay ok but trans is a reason to worry? Is it because women are not as good as CEOs? Or because he might not work as hard after having his salary cut by 30% or so? Or is it just that trans is too wierd, but gay is mostly sort of acceptable now?

Astute comment.

• Reply 151 of 199
    Quote:

Quote:

Why? It is generally believed that Jesus was dedicated to the work of teaching and also never married.

Quite. Good example!

• Reply 152 of 199
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Supporting gay rights in no way means you're homosexual. I support equal rights and have even participated in a breast cancer event. Now it is possible for males to get breast cancer but I don't have nor have never had it and I'm not female (you'll just have to take my word for it).
    That's true. But from what I've seen on Instagram so far it looks like Cook is the only one from the senior leadership team there (I know Ive isn't there as I saw a photo of him at some car festival in England). I don't think it's a coincidence that Cook is the one who showed up. IMO it's his way of saying "I'm one of you" without actually saying the words.
  • Reply 153 of 199
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    IMO it's his way of saying "I'm one of you" without actually saying the words.

A human being? Yeah, I'm one, too.
  • Reply 154 of 199
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah but Jesus died young so he didn't suffer long periods of loneliness and he had all those followers to keep him company. There are religious people who go through their lives without having relationships, the exceptions are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sexually_active_popes

and they seem ok outwardly but it's not very healthy. Nobody automatically assumes the popes are gay of course.

It's healthy to have friends and lovers. It's like Chrisann Brennan said, Steve Jobs was so moved by their relationship at times that he called up about their intimate moments 15 years later. It's a validation of your existence that someone else is willing to share in the most intimate things they can do physically.

It can tear people right up inside and you wouldn't know it. Just look at the recent case of Elliot Rodger who led a lonely life, never even convinced a girl to hold his hand and at just the age of 22 decided enough was enough and killed 7 people including himself and injured 13 others. He left a series of videos describing how he felt:

long video here:

He was a good looking guy, wealthy, his dad was assistant director on The Hunger Games but he never connected to anyone and he expressed it as anger. The other route to go is feeling really depressed all the time. A few examples here:

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140126130753AA3OoOm "I'm depressed and lonely. I think about suicide daily. What do I do?"

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110209212246AAqVYst "i live alone and have trust issues i don't have any friends anymore and never had a lover. i am awkward and have social issues but not unfriendly or anything. i will be 31 this month."

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140219130816AAnR1Cc "I'm a soldier in the army, I am in my late 30's and alone. I spend a lot of my time alone, am always kind and thoughtful to people or try to be a good person. I try to help people to hide away from my own issues. But I look at my life with no meaning and full of hurt and loneliness and want to stop the pain."

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111206191402AAUWKsc "My life isn't great. I have no friends, nobody to talk to about anything. I don't go to school so I can't just "make friends". I've been suicidal for a long time always wanting to die, but never being able to do it. I'm 14 just in case anyone's wondering."

Loneliness was mentioned in the suicides of the Foxconn workers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10182824

"workers do 100 hours of overtime per month. They don't do anything but working there. They don't even talk to the people working next to them. Workers don't have much time to communicate with each other and they feel quite lonely. We work six days a week with one day off and every day we work two hours overtime."

Stephen Fry who is gay mentioned he'd tried to kill himself at one point:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/jun/05/stephen-fry-attempted-suicide-bipolar

"There are times when I'm doing QI and I'm going, 'Ha ha, yeah, yeah,' and inside I'm going 'I want to f*cking die. I … want … to … f*cking … die.'

He made a post here about feeling lonely:

http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/06/24/only-the-lonely/

"Lonely? I get invitation cards through the post almost every day. I shall be in the Royal Box at Wimbledon and I have serious and generous offers from friends asking me to join them in the South of France, Italy, Sicily, South Africa, British Columbia and America this summer. I have two months to start a book before I go off to Broadway for a run of Twelfth Night there.

I can read back that last sentence and see that, bipolar or not, if I’m under treatment and not actually depressed, what the f*ck right do I have to be lonely, unhappy or forlorn? I don’t have the right. But there again I don’t have the right not to have those feelings. Feelings are not something to which one does or does not have rights.

In the end loneliness is the most terrible and contradictory of my problems. I hate having only myself to come home to.

It’s not that I want a sexual partner, a long-term partner, someone to share a bed and a snuggle on the sofa with – although perhaps I do and in the past I have had and it has been joyful. But the fact is I value my privacy too. It’s a lose-lose matter. I don’t want to be alone, but I want to be left alone. Perhaps this is just a form of narcissism, vanity, overdemanding entitlement – give it whatever derogatory term you think it deserves. I don’t know the answer.

I suppose I just don’t like my own company very much. Which is odd, given how many times people very kindly tell me that they’d put me on their ideal dinner party guestlist. I do think I can usually be relied upon to be good company when I’m out and about and sitting round a table chatting, being silly, sharing jokes and stories and bringing shy people out of their shells.

But then I get home and I’m all alone again.

Perhaps I am writing this for any of you out there who are lonely too. There’s not much we can do about it. I am luckier than many of you because I am lonely in a crowd of people who are mostly very nice to me and appear to be pleased to meet me. But I want you to know that you are not alone in your being alone.

Loneliness is not much written about (my spell-check wanted me to say that loveliness is not much written about – how wrong that is) but humankind is a social species and maybe it’s something we should think about more than we do. I cannot think of many plays or documentaries or novels about lonely people. Aah, look at them all, Paul McCartney enjoined us in Eleanor Rigby… where do they all come from?

The strange thing is, if you see me in the street and engage in conversation I will probably freeze into polite fear and smile inanely until I can get away to be on my lonely ownsome."

Tim Cook is 53 and outwardly, he might seem happy with his life but you don't know how people feel inside. Over 13,000 nights he might have gone home alone and hated it every time wondering why doesn't someone love him like they do other people. He's wealthy, successful, a nice guy and yet possibly very lonely and this can easily affect his work, though not necessarily in a bad way.

I always wonder why there isn't a more prominent social network for connecting people together that isn't explicitly a dating site. The problems you have with Facebook and Twitter is they aren't localized and they try to coerce you into connecting with people you might already know (e.g family). The problem with dating sites is that just using them is an indicator that you're looking for a date and can't find one by interacting with people. Also, people don't want that kind of profile out on the internet for everyone to see.

Maybe Apple could make their own social network through iTunes like they did with Ping but with a different purpose. It would have to be a network that Apple execs would be comfortable having a profile on so nothing explicitly about dating or sexuality. It wouldn't automatically try to connect you to people you knew and it may in fact be better trying to hide people it thinks you already know. There would be a profile that you could fill in interests, post a few pictures of yourself and your general location. People wouldn't have to mark down their sexuality but they could add interests that indicated it. The network would match up interests and similar locations and allow people to message each other without any payment fees and all messages would be private.

So Tim would sign up, make the profile, add a few interests that mentioned support of gay rights etc. When he logged on, it would show interest matches. He'd then get private messages from others in his locality. To send messages out, the network could allow anonymous messages not attached to a profile like a secret valentine card and the recipient could see that it came from a male and accept it or decline. They'd be able to initiate a Facetime or private iMessage rather than messages through the network to help prevent people easily copying and pasting private conversations to other social networks.

Profiles and content wouldn't be public like Facebook. It can hide unmatched interests until you gain the trust of another member and of course you'd be able to block a member entirely and you can block remote users that you might never meet anyway.

Helping people to connect with each other would be a good way for Apple to help prevent people feeling marginalised.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sip 

Haven't they noticed that a lot of gay men tend to buff up their bodies in daily gym visits, and many of them could probably take on the role of Rambo.

Tim might be using gym visits as his social event. It's probably a good place for him to meet someone as they'd share his interest in fitness and if they can make it in at 5am, they'd share his interest in getting up in the middle of the night to exercise. I can't imagine there would be too many options with that criteria though. Maybe he should compromise and hit the gym around 8am and move everything he does at 8am back to 5am.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clayp711 

His homosexuality would explain the company's extreme endorsement as the largest supporter of PRODUCT(RED)

As Cook explained, Apple tries to promote human rights. They have the RED campaign, they publicly supported gay marriage:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/26/apple-issues-statement-in-support-of-supreme-court-gay-marriage-rulings/

Stephen Fry is a well known gay Apple supporter and he asked Steve Jobs if the Apple logo was a tribute to Alan Turing who committed suicide for being prosecuted for being gay:

http://frostysramblings.wordpress.com/2013/11/28/time-to-pardon-alan-turing-father-of-the-computer/

"Some say Apple computer’s logo commemorates Turing’s curious death. Turing admirer Stephen Fry asked the late Apple founder Steve Jobs if the story was true. “Sadly not” said Jobs “but God, I wish it were.”"

Apple has a number of gay employees. They hired a transexual a couple of years ago:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/154845/apple-hires-former-windows-security-hacker-to-strengthen-os-x

It's not really about promoting a personal agenda but recognising human suffering or vulnerability and taking measures to alleviate it to ultimately promote happiness.

You're making wrong assumptions about people's lifestyles.

It's no good drawing upon anecdotal data. You cite a lonely teenager going on shooting sprees, as though the loneliness was the prime cause. Hitler had many friends and was very sociable and charismatic; just look what he achieved!

You said that Jesus never suffered long periods of loneliness. He spent forty days and nights in the wilderness by himself!

• Reply 155 of 199

I think this is the worst article I've ever had the misfortune to read on AI. 

The very headline is wrong; I watched the short video and no-one was 'outed.'

Campbell says:

'While Cook speaks somewhat frankly about Apple, he is notoriously guarded when it comes to his private life.'

?How can you be 'notoriously guarded' about your private life? Isn't that an oxymoron? 

Notorious generally implies a negative connotation, when used in a personal manner. I don't find it 'notorious' that someone should wish to keep their private life private, least of all the CEO of Apple!

?Thankfully, most of the articles here are good or excellent.

• Reply 156 of 199
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    I disagree with your viewpoint. If he wants to be a workaholic lifelong bachelor, let him. What's wrong with that?

I would find it difficult to believe that anyone wants to be alone their entire life. I can understand being reconciled to choosing between being alone or being with someone you don't want to be with because your level of attractiveness or social standing might only allow you to partner with people you don't want to be with but there are biological forces that compel people to look for partners and they exist in everyone. You can choose not to eat food but your body will constantly make you long for it.
    You also intimate that he is shy or 'aloof,' as though those are bad things. If more people tended towards shyness and aloofness, the world would be a better place.

I didn't suggest shyness was a bad trait. It can just lead to loneliness, which IMO is a bad outcome.
    It's no good drawing upon anecdotal data. You cite a lonely teenager going on shooting sprees, as though the loneliness was the prime cause.

The videos make it pretty clear to me that loneliness was the root cause of his anger.
    Hitler had many friends and was very sociable and charismatic; just look what he achieved!

If he'd been more of a loner then perhaps he wouldn't have been able to do what he did but his social life wasn't his motive. Also, he was successful. Although his success resulted in atrocities, he achieved a lot of what he wanted. Loneliness can also lead to failures in other parts of life.
    You said that Jesus never suffered long periods of loneliness. He spent forty days and nights in the wilderness by himself!

By his own choice though, that doesn't count.
  • Reply 157 of 199
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

It's healthy to have friends and lovers.

True. Married men statistically live longer than unmarried men. But is that really something to fault someone for? Being unmarried?  Some people are married to their work.   I'm sure Tim has a lot of meaningful interactions with people at work. I think you place far too much importance on sexual intimacy. 

Quote:

It is unfair to compare a mentally ill, immature, spoiled brat, college dropout, to Tim Cook.

• Reply 158 of 199
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    Gay means happy
    Who cares if he is or isn't gay
    He does a good job
    And he gives to charity
    He hasn't committed any crimes
    So what's the big deal
  • Reply 159 of 199
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Oh Noes! By transitive property, this will make me teh gay when I buy my iPhone 6 this Fall.

I'll alert my wife immediately...

• Reply 160 of 199
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Hitler had many friends and was very sociable and charismatic; just look what he achieved!

Godwin's law aside, the biographers of Hitler whose work I've read would disagree: Hitler was charming when he needed to be, but did not have many lasting meaningful friendships.