Apple updating its Maps with user corrections every day at 3 am Eastern

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2014
Apple is now routinely updating its mapping database on a daily basis with user corrections submitted through the native Maps applications for iOS and OS X, it has been discovered.

Apple Maps POIs appear to be updated every day at 3 a.m., user "heyyoudvd" disclosed in a thread on Reddit. That person has been actively tracking Apple's progress with its Maps application, and they believe they have seen more updates to the mapping data in recent weeks than in the previous two years combined.

"Over the past month, Maps were being updated once a week (every Friday) for me, but now, that has improved even further," they wrote. "Over the past few days, I've noticed an update occur every single day at 3 a.m. Eastern."

For years, reporting problems in Apple's Maps application did not result in swift changes to the company's data. But now that appears to have changed, and significantly, with infrastructure in place to push out updates on a daily basis.

Those posting in the Reddit thread noted that they are seeing points of interest fixed in a prompt fashion, while various side roads and other small changes have been implemented. These changes appear to be going into place worldwide, with one user noting that they marked issues on beaches in Sydney, and the problems were addressed accordingly.

Maps
Apple Maps as seen in OS X Mavericks.

Users can report issues with Apple's Maps application on an iOS device by tapping the "i" button in the bottom right corner and selecting "Report a Problem." From there, users can notify Apple about incorrect search results, inaccurate street names, missing locations, problems with directions, and more.

Mapping issues can also be reported in OS X by selecting the main Maps menu from the Menu Bar and choosing "Report a Problem." The feature has been available since Apple brought Maps to Mavericks last year, extending tools for reporting and fixing errors to a large installed base of Mac users.

Apple's iOS Maps debuted in September of 2012 along with iOS 6, and immediately drew criticism and complaints from many users, who found inaccuracies in the location data and faulty rendering of the 3D flyover data. The ensuing controversy was so widespread that Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook was compelled to issue an apology to his customers, and even recommend alternative options.

Since then, Apple has acquired a number of mapping companies, including Embark, HopStop, Broadmap, Locationary, and earlier this month, Spotsetter.

Despite those acquisitions, Apple Maps continue to lack built-in public transit directions, including the current beta of iOS 8. One report from this month claimed that a lack of updates for Maps in iOS 8 were as a result of a "failure" of the project management team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If true, wonderful news. Interesting that maps didn't get much love at WWDC. Maybe we'll hear more about it this fall?
  • Reply 2 of 74
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    I have been noticing POI and map errors are getting rapidly fixed. There were many outstanding issues I noticed from when Maps was first released. From roads that would take you over a cliff in various remote areas (like 4WD remote) to roads being wrong in various state parks. Likewise, there were many POIs that were in the wrong location (bars in the middle of a house development instead of 1/4 to the East).

These were unchanged for almost 2 years even with monthly "report a problem" being filed. 2 years. From when I first found them in July of 2012 to a few weeks ago. Similar issues in Google Maps tend to be fixed in 3-4 weeks.

All of a sudden, these are all fixed in the past 2 weeks. Just like that. All fairly obscure.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Good news if true. And I'm sure Apple has thought of a way to
    Prevent its competitors from submitting bogus map information user apple's user input system.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

So what is to stop people from giving erroneous information just to see if it's showing up in Maps?

• Reply 5 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If true, wonderful news. Interesting that maps didn't get much love at WWDC. Maybe we'll hear more about it this fall?

Better to highlight it at the launch of iOS 8 anyway, as it’s more a consumer feature.

• Reply 6 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I have been noticing POI and map errors are getting rapidly fixed. There were many outstanding issues I noticed from when Maps was first released. From roads that would take you over a cliff in various remote areas (like 4WD remote) to roads being wrong in various state parks. Likewise, there were many POIs that were in the wrong location (bars in the middle of a house development instead of 1/4 to the East).

These were unchanged for almost 2 years even with monthly "report a problem" being filed. 2 years. From when I first found them in July of 2012 to a few weeks ago. Similar issues in Google Maps tend to be fixed in 3-4 weeks.

All of a sudden, these are all fixed in the past 2 weeks. Just like that. All fairly obscure.

My street name has been mis-spelled since the start of Apple Maps. (It's a non-trivial issue since the street does not show up if you search for it using the correct spelling). I have reported the problem a half-dozen times, and it still has not been changed.

I just tried again. Let's see if there's a response this time.

Apple's software offerings -- networking products, iWork, Maps, iTunes U, iTunes -- have had lots of little irksome issues in the past couple of years. Or perhaps it's just my luck.

• Reply 7 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So what is to stop people from giving erroneous information just to see if it's showing up in Maps?

Do you really think that they can't cross-reference something for its accuracy!? 

C'mon...

• Reply 8 of 74
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Submitted/requested changes probably aren't automatically made. I would guess that each one is reviewed by Apple/Tom Tom staff first.

• Reply 9 of 74
    Quote:

Come on. Apple wouldn't implement a change just because someone submitted a problem. They'd verify the issue themselves and then put in the necessary corrections.

I think Apple has probably assembled a team to work on Maps issues alone, and they only recently started actively applying corrections, which is why people are noticing them right away. Or they might have had a team all along, but they had such a backlog of problems that it seemed like it took "forever" for changes to appear. Now that they're caught up, changes are coming much sooner.

• Reply 10 of 74
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It's good to see that Apple are on top of things, fixing things every single day for Maps.

At the next keynote, Apple should pound their chests and announce just how much better Maps is, because I notice that some people still like to poke fun at Apple maps when it is mentioned, and those same ignoramuses need to be made aware that their outdated memes and stupid jokes are incorrect, but that probably wont stop them of course, even if they are made aware of new facts.

• Reply 11 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Had an unfortunate situation yesterday and Apple's Maps failed me. I was sent driving around in a circle instead of being directed to my destination, so I stopped and used Waze, which directed me to where I needed to go. I was very disappointed. There is nothing worse than bad directions in an emergency and this was one of those rare occasions when time was of the essence.

Fortunately, things worked out OK, but I will not use Maps first next time.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Yeah, the building a work in isn't spelled properly. For a while I thought it just wasn't listed in Apple's Maps. I've just submitted a problem report with the correct spelling. I'm excited to see how long it'll take become live.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    I've noticed that several quite major local errors that I have been reporting since Maps was released have now been fixed. I'm surprised if they have only just started a significant effort on this.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Apple's software offerings -- networking products, iWork, Maps, iTunes U, iTunes -- have had lots of little irksome issues in the past couple of years. Or perhaps it's just my luck.

I think it must just be your luck. On the planet where the rest of us lucky unicorn jockeys live software never has any little idiosyncrasies or annoyances, pencils don't have erasers, and word processors do not need spell checkers.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think it must just be your luck. On the planet where the rest of us lucky unicorn jockeys live software never has any little idiosyncrasies or annoyances, pencils don't have erasers, and word processors do not need spell checkers.

Oh, I was being charitable when I said "irksome issues." Also, my standard for comparison in making that statement is not what "software" does in general, but what Apple's software has been capable of.

(Sarcasm noted.)

• Reply 16 of 74
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

It was quite annoying this summer, that Apple maps suggested nearest Costco on Maui, while we were on Big Island. Had to switch to Google maps to find it.

I see that the problem has been fixed already.

• Reply 17 of 74
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    My only complaint with Maps is that there is no way to turn off "toll roads". I live near a toll highway and Maps tells me to use it all the time, and often there are no offered suggestions without the toll road used.

Other than that, it is great!
  • Reply 18 of 74

It's a Christmas miracle!  Seriously, it's about time Apple start taking action on user-reported errors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Had an unfortunate situation yesterday and Apple's Maps failed me. I was sent driving around in a circle instead of being directed to my destination, so I stopped and used Waze, which directed me to where I needed to go. I was very disappointed.

I used to love Waze - until they got sucked up by Google.  And I'm as Google-free as possible these days, so no more Waze for me.  I think Apple should have made that acquisition instead.

• Reply 19 of 74
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member

Ya none of my corrections, submitted both years ago and days ago, are getting implemented.

• Reply 20 of 74
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I sense a big Maps update coming this fall.