Apple releases OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 with fixes for Wi-Fi, wake from sleep

Posted:
in macOS edited July 2014
As Mac users await this fall's launch of OS X Yosemite, Apple's current Mac operating system received a minor update on Monday, with OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 fixing minor bugs related to Wi-Fi and wake from sleep.

OS X 10.9.4 is now available to download through Software Update on the Mac App Store. Apple has said the update is recommended for all users of the Mavericks operating system, and it improves the stability, compatibility and security of Mac systems.

Specifically, the update is said to fix an issue that could prevent some Macs from automatically connecting to known Wi-Fi networks. The update also improves the reliability of wake from sleep.

In addition, the new software update also includes Safari 7.0.5, the latest version of Apple's desktop Web browser.

OS X 10.9.4 only received two betas before Monday's launch to the public. The first developer beta was supplied at the end of May.

Any updates to Mavericks going forward are likely to be minor similar to the security and stability update issued on Monday. That's because Apple's attention has focused to OS X Yosemite, which is set to become available for free on the Mac App Store this fall. For more, see AppleInsider's full coverage of Yosemite.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72

Is this the one that was code named 'Epic'?

• Reply 2 of 72
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Why is the iOS update Breaking News, and the OS X one not? I guess OS X isn't important anymore to AI. 

• Reply 3 of 72
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Has the slowness of the previous update been fixed?
  • Reply 4 of 72
    Mine isn't even showing an update.

Oh wait... there it is.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member

You would think they would fix Mail.app before exiting to Yosemite. I think yearly updates are nice but it seems they leave some problems unresolved. I guess that is how you forge ahead and progress.

• Reply 6 of 72
    I'll be more excited for the Yosemite public beta. I'll install that..just can't install the developer ones on my main/work MB air. Anyone have a clue when that's coming out? "Summer" is pretty broad.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

You would think they would fix Mail.app before exiting to Yosemite.

And what exactly is broken? Don't bother saying IMAP.

• Reply 8 of 72
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We are having to constantly quit Mail and reopen for our mail to fetch. I guess that falls under iMap.

• Reply 9 of 72
    Quote:

"Mail has unexpectedly quit." Bla bla bla.

It happens at least twice a day for me, usually when trying to recall the main window. (this is Yosemite...) Of course I don't expect it to be perfect yet, and it's not too annoying, but the same issues and general bugs in Mail still remain so far...

• Reply 10 of 72
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member

I know.... Just tell this to some light user irritated about his gmail not working.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    OK, I'll say it. It seems to be snappier. :)

The old version slowing down has been a frustration, but my HD is overloaded and I've considered a cleanup to be needed. I'll see over the best few days how things to, but it does look faster.
  • Reply 12 of 72
    "And what exactly is broken [in an e-mail program]? Don't bother saying [the protocol needed to download e-mail]."

What the hell, dude?

Anyway, to answer your question, Mail.app in 10.9.3 often seemed to get stuck in a state where it doesn't detect new mail coming in. Quitting the app and restarting it was sometimes necessary to get it to notice that you'd gotten an e-mail, and otherwise it'd just happily claim there were no new messages. It was pretty irritating if you were waiting for an important e-mail and wondering why it hadn't come in yet, only to find out that it actually had, but Mail.app wasn't registering it. Whether 10.9.4 will fix this, only time will tell. The Yosemite e-mail client is reportedly a lot better.

(and please, don't bother going "Just use POP3!". This is 2014, not 1994.)
  • Reply 13 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Has the slowness of the previous update been fixed?

Where did you get this nonsense anyway? What slowness? There was no ‘slowness’ to be fixed. I swear to God, what makes you think that because you have an unstable system everybody else does too? Complete baloney.

• Reply 14 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

I know.... Just tell this to some light user irritated about his gmail not working.

You know, counting Google search hits doesn’t mean there’s real problem. What is it anyway about extrapolating individual issues into pandemic flaws that ‘everyone’ has? What is it about labeling those without the alleged issues as “one of the lucky ones.” 

• Reply 15 of 72
    Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

What the hell, dude?

Because it isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with Mail and IMAP. It's Google's problem.

• Reply 16 of 72
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

You would think they would fix Mail.app before exiting to Yosemite. I think yearly updates are nice but it seems they leave some problems unresolved. I guess that is how you forge ahead and progress.

Apple does not work that way anymore.  They never fixed any of the problems with Lion, and instead they dumped it and moved forward with Mountain Lion.  At least current updates are free and they don't charge you again to fix their earlier mistakes.  They are dumping Mavericks and all its problems and moving forward with Yosemite.

• Reply 17 of 72
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    I he
    lkrupp wrote: »
    You know, counting Google search hits doesn’t mean there’s real problem. What is it anyway about extrapolating individual issues into pandemic flaws that ‘everyone’ has? What is it about labeling those without the alleged issues as “one of the lucky ones.” 

I hear you.
    Going down that route I am sure that the vast majority of users don't even know about a feature that may/may not work. Does it mean it shouldn't be fixed? No. Does it justify pandemonium? No way.
    OTOH I know a few people that have mostly self created problems by fiddling around and installing stuff that just don't work. Who was it again who said "it's my fault. But I know whom to blame".
  • Reply 18 of 72
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Because it isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with Mail and IMAP. It's Google's problem.

Mail worked perfectly with Mountain Lion and earlier, and they broke it with Mavericks, publicly admitting Mail did not work correctly.  Have you been living in a hole in the ground, or have you failed to pay attention to THREE patches to try and fix Mail?  All issued by Apple.  Funny that you claim Mavericks is perfect, yet you have posted many rants that iBooks did not work correctly.  Yet you attack anyone that has problems with Mail.

• Reply 19 of 72
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

They never fixed any of the problems with Lion...

Hey, look! You replied for me!

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You are really that ignorant, or are you just trolling with your attitude?

Shut up and go away.

Funny that you claim Mavericks is perfect...

Thanks for the strawman! Get out.

you have posted many rants that iBooks 

Yep, all two of them.

• Reply 20 of 72
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

No, not really.

Even if Google uses a non-standard implementation of IMAP, it's really up to Apple to write a version of their Mail application that will play nicely with one of the most popular mail services on the planet if they want their users to be satisfied.

Google should fix their IMAP implementation, however they show no interest in doing so. Therefore it falls on Apple's shoulders to keep users happy. Unfair? Yes. But that's life, sometimes there are inconsistencies between companies, and Apple really needs to show a little flexibility here.

Disclaimer: I own shares in both Google and Apple.