Apple releases OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 with fixes for Wi-Fi, wake from sleep

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Even if Google uses a non-standard implementation of IMAP...

... it is on THEM to propagate its use.

• Reply 22 of 72
    tpf1952tpf1952 Posts: 65member
    10.9.4 is a vital update if you operate a new Mac Pro and use Premiere Pro. The two were incompatible for many users, self included, when attempting to render sequences using Open CL. The machine would crash frequently, create glitches and strange patterns in video. For weeks, angry Mac Pro users, self included, reached out to Apple, Adobe or other users looking for a fix. With 10.9.4, it appears the fix has arrived.

Thank you, Apple.

Tom
  • Reply 23 of 72
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Even if Google uses a non-standard implementation of IMAP

Has anyone determined what is non-complient about Gmail IMAP? I don't use Mail on OS X so I have no first hand knowledge but apparently IMAP on Gmail works fine on iOS, Gnome RedHat, and Outlook on Windows. What other mail clients are encountering problems with Gmail other than Mail on OS X?

• Reply 24 of 72

It appears that this update has fixed the dodgy bluetooth/wireless settings that were causing problems connecting to Wi-Fi after sleep (from a few sleep/wake cycles). This pleases me very much!

• Reply 25 of 72
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ytsethunder View Post

It appears that this update has fixed the dodgy bluetooth/wireless settings that were causing problems connecting to Wi-Fi after sleep (from a few sleep/wake cycles). This pleases me very much!

Hope so. This has been bugging me for 18 months :devil:

• Reply 26 of 72

weird - I never had any troubles at all with resuming wifi or wake-from-sleep (2013 15" MBP)...

...what devices has trouble with this?

• Reply 27 of 72

Mine is a 2013 13" MBA. It only started happening after Christmas, when I started using Bose SoundLink Mini bluetooth speakers. The issue was solved by deleting the bluetooth preferences - this obviously necessitated a repairing which caused the issue again.

FYI, the issue was that when the shell was opened after a sleep, the Wi-Fi wouldn't connect to the preferred network immediately. Sometimes waiting would work, but more often than not, I would have to turn the Wi-Fi off then on again in order for it to connect. A real pain which I hope has been sorted for good now.

• Reply 28 of 72
    hillstones wrote: »
    aplnub wrote: »

You would think they would fix Mail.app before exiting to Yosemite. I think yearly updates are nice but it seems they leave some problems unresolved. I guess that is how you forge ahead and progress.
    Apple does not work that way anymore.  They never fixed any of the problems with Lion, and instead they dumped it and moved forward with Mountain Lion.  At least current updates are free and they don't charge you again to fix their earlier mistakes.  They are dumping Mavericks and all its problems and moving forward with Yosemite.

Yes, you're absolutely correct. In fact, they deliberately concoct new problems just so as to annoy hillstones. ????
  • Reply 29 of 72
    mpantone wrote: »

Because it isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with Mail and IMAP. It's Google's problem.
    No, not really.

Even if Google uses a non-standard implementation of IMAP, it's really up to Apple to write a version of their Mail application that will play nicely with one of the most popular mail services on the planet if they want their users to be satisfied.

Google should fix their IMAP implementation, however they show no interest in doing so. Therefore it falls on Apple's shoulders to keep users happy. Unfair? Yes. But that's life, sometimes there are inconsistencies between companies, and Apple really needs to show a little flexibility here.

Disclaimer: I own shares in both Google and Apple.

If Google are so stupid as to use a non-standard implementation of IMAP, more fool them and their users.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    aplnub wrote: »
    You would think they would fix Mail.app before exiting to Yosemite. I think yearly updates are nice but it seems they leave some problems unresolved. I guess that is how you forge ahead and progress.

Maybe you need your Mac fixing. Try Disk Warrior.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    mpantone wrote: »
    No, not really.

Even if Google uses a non-standard implementation of IMAP, it's really up to Apple to write a version of their Mail application that will play nicely with one of the most popular mail services on the planet if they want their users to be satisfied.

Google should fix their IMAP implementation, however they show no interest in doing so. Therefore it falls on Apple's shoulders to keep users happy. Unfair? Yes. But that's life, sometimes there are inconsistencies between companies, and Apple really needs to show a little flexibility here.

Disclaimer: I own shares in both Google and Apple.

How do you spell 'naive'? Apple should give a shit about Google? Really? The company that ripped of iOS? Personally I'd be evil if I were Apple I'd deliberately screw with anything from Google, but that's just me.

Disclaimer :own as shit load of AAPL and no gargoyle
  • Reply 32 of 72
    If Google are so stupid as to use a non-standard implementation of IMAP, more fool them and their users.

Well said.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    mstone wrote: »
    Has anyone determined what is non-complient about Gmail IMAP? I don't use Mail on OS X so I have no first hand knowledge but apparently IMAP on Gmail works fine on iOS, Gnome RedHat, and Outlook on Windows. What other mail clients are encountering problems with Gmail other than Mail on OS X?

I am puzzled, why wouldn't you use Mail on OS X? As you post here so regularly surely it would behove you to have experience with Apple's own mail system.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Because it isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with Mail and IMAP. It's Google's problem.

Apple should simply stop supporting all things Google on OS X and iOS. How long do Apple have to pretend to care about Google? Is that too radical of me?
  • Reply 35 of 72
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I am puzzled, why wouldn't you use Mail on OS X? As you post here so regularly surely it would behove you to have experience with Apple's own mail system.

I use Gmail in Chrome and Squirrel Mail in Linux, Gmail in iOS, me.com in iOS, iOS Yahoo, and  corporate email in Outlook through a VPN

• Reply 36 of 72
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    And what exactly is broken? Don't bother saying IMAP.
    Why do you jump on anyone who claims that Apple's software isn't perfect?
  • Reply 37 of 72
    imap has been broken for MANY months. It is not a GMAIL thing. It is imap. You have to constantly quit and restart mail. It happens for gmail and it happens for two other imap accounts.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WRONG.  It is not gmail. it is an IMAP problem because I have two other IMAP accounts that constantly stop showing new mail until I stop the app and restart it.    Stick to what you know dude!!!!!

• Reply 39 of 72
    Then how come I've had it happen with my bog-standard Courier IMAP server?
  • Reply 40 of 72
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

The update fixes a problem with Compressor that I found months ago.  Apple even mailed me this morning to say that it was a bug at the OS level and had been fixed in the update.  

Before the update, there were noise artifacts added to movies created in Compressor using an image sequence and attaching an audio file; now fixed!  Saves a bit of time not having to perform a work-around.

Regarding Mail, I don't know yet if the update has fixed the problem I've had for a long time: Mail sometimes won't quit.  I have to force quit it.  Hopefully...