Apple releases iOS 7.1.2 with fixes for iBeacon, Mail, and accessory connectivity

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2015
Apple on Monday pushed an over-the-air update to its iOS mobile operating system, bringing fixes that enhance iBeacon connectivity and stability while correcting problems with Mail attachment data protection and data transfer to third-party accessories.

According to Apple's release notes, iOS 7.1.2 addresses issues that may crop up when using third-party accessories such as barcode scanners that connect to an iPhone or iPad. In addition to the iBeacon fixes, it also corrects an problem with the data protection class designations of some Mail attachments.

iOS 7.1.2 comes just over two months after the release of iOS 7.1.1, which brought improvements to Touch ID and keyboard responsiveness. it is not clear how many more maintenance updates Apple plans to provide before the launch of iOS 8, which is widely expected to drop alongside the next-generation iPhone this fall.

The update, which comes in as a 23.1-megabyte delta when applied via iOS's over-the-air update mechanism, also contains miscellaneous bug fixes and security updates.

Apple also updated the Apple TV to version 6.2 but was mum on the included changes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    this will make the ipad better than android L!!
  • Reply 2 of 23
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member
    Wonder if 7.1.2 kills the Pangu jailbreak?

Either way, thank god I upgraded my iPhone & iPad Mini to 7.1.1 a few days ago!!
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Daekwan wrote: »
    Wonder if 7.1.2 kills the Pangu jailbreak?

Either way, thank god I upgraded my iPhone & iPad Mini to 7.1.1 a few days ago!!

The Pangu jailbreak works fine with 7.1.2.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    enewayeneway Posts: 1member
    my 5s is now bricked :(
  • Reply 5 of 23
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

The Pangu jailbreak works fine with 7.1.2.

if that is true I am kind of surprise they did not fix that exploit quickly, I was expecting Apple to release an update once I heard about the new jailbreak.

• Reply 6 of 23
    aimbddaimbdd Posts: 49member
    Wifi only..?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Applied the update to my iPad 3. Bricked it. In 25 years of using Apple products, this is the worst upgrade I've ever seen.
  • Reply 8 of 23

iPhone 5 and iPad 3 both froze during normal upgrade from 7.1.1 to 7.1.2, but a forced shutdown brought both units back to normal life, reporting the new iOS version. But I agree horrible upgrade for a company that claims things just work.

• Reply 9 of 23
    scotyscoty Posts: 8member
    This new upgrade has made my iPhone 4s much snappier and responsive
  • Reply 10 of 23
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dsjander View Post

iPhone 5 and iPad 3 both froze during normal upgrade from 7.1.1 to 7.1.2, but a forced shutdown brought both units back to normal life, reporting the new iOS version. But I agree horrible upgrade for a company that claims things just work.

My iPhone 5S also froze during the upgrade (progress bar was about ? done), but after a hard reset it seems to be working normally with the updated system. I was a bit in a hurry and didn't back up the 5S to iTunes as I normally do, so fortunately nothing was lost. I am going to back up my iPhone 5 and iPad Air to iTunes before I apply the update (all are backed up on iCloud). I have a feeling Apple will re-release this update.

• Reply 11 of 23
    My iPhone 5s and iPad Air froze upon the first restart: the progress bar hangs at around 33% progress.

As mentioned in the Apple support forum here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6426562?tstart=0 it says we need to do a hard restart (hold the lock + home button simultaneously). I did that and both my devices restarted fine, and the iOS version now shows 7.1.2.

On the contrary, my iPad 2 updated just fine, so I can't see what was the reason behind this issue really.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    newcodenewcode Posts: 24member
    Strange to read these comments, I plugged in a power cable to both my 5S and my Air, set them installing and went into the shower. When I came out they had both updated succesfully without any intervention from me at all. I wonder how widespread these problems are?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by newcode View Post

Strange to read these comments, I plugged in a power cable to both my 5S and my Air, set them installing and went into the shower. When I came out they had both updated succesfully without any intervention from me at all. I wonder how widespread these problems are?

Not at all.

Remember, most complaint is done by a ludicrously small proportion who thinks that if they scream loud enough they never have to learn anything.

• Reply 14 of 23
    Just updated my iPhone 5S without any glitch.
    Too bad the Carrier 16.1 settings were not updated and hence I still cannot use LTE (setting still say "enable 3G") on the Eplus Network here in Germany.... :(((
    (hoping in iOS 8)
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Not at all.

Remember, most complaint is done by a ludicrously small proportion who thinks that if they scream loud enough they never have to learn anything.

Apple always gota do something more then once to get it right. So im not suprised people are having problems. Thats exactly why im staying on 7.1.1 cause i could care less about mail encryptions. People are getting my mail so who cares. I dont .
  • Reply 16 of 23
    dsjander wrote: »

cm477 wrote: »
    My iPhone 5S also froze during the upgrade (progress bar was about ? done), but after a hard reset it seems to be working normally with the updated system. I was a bit in a hurry and didn't back up the 5S to iTunes as I normally do, so fortunately nothing was lost. I am going to back up my iPhone 5 and iPad Air to iTunes before I apply the update (all are backed up on iCloud). I have a feeling Apple will re-release this update.

Not at all.

As usual the sycophants kiss the Apple and blame users. Good way to call people's problems as ludicrous and wanting attention. Last night I installed the update, let my phone sit all night for about six hours, woke and it was frozen. Had to do a hard restart to make it work. Had some podcast crashing problems at first, but after 6-8 tries it finally started working. Good to know I'm a ludicrous attention wanting person and Apple is clean in this, they could never make a mistake. iP5 btw.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

As usual the sycophants kiss the Apple and blame users.

Except we’re not wrong. Get over yourself.

Good way to call people's problems as ludicrous and wanting attention.

Nowhere did we say that people’s problems aren’t real. We are saying the problems are not widespread.

• Reply 18 of 23
    jqlehmanjqlehman Posts: 1member
    The comments above by droslovinia are exactly what I experienced.

"Applied the update to my iPad 3. Bricked it. In 25 years of using Apple products, this is the worst upgrade I've ever seen."

I have an iPad 3 and after attempting to upgrade it totally bricked it. I have never had this problem before with any other apple upgrades. The message it conveys is to plug into iTunes. When doing such it wants to do a complete restore, doesn't even give the option of restoring from a backup. Not sure whether I should do such, but I don't see any other options
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Except we’re not wrong. Get over yourself.

Nowhere did we say that people’s problems aren’t real. We are saying the problems are not widespread.

Well, they did exist for some and that does not make them ludicrous - it means some had problems and they are real. Seems you need to "get over yourself" in your 'Apple can do no wrong and anyone who points out a simple problem or flaw are the ones with the problem.' You contradict yourself, I said you're blaming users and you say "we're not wrong," then say "we didn't didn't say the problems don't exist." Funny. I'm ghost on this.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Well, they did exist for some…

Mentioned that.

…and that does not make them ludicrous…

Did you read the post?

…your ‘Apple can do no wrong…

No, you didn’t read the post, did you.

…I said you’re blaming users…

Which is wrong.

…and you say “we’re not wrong,”…

In saying that the proportion of users experiencing problems is small.

…then say “we didn’t say the problems don't exist."

Because we didn’t.