8 new automakers pledge support for Apple's CarPlay, including Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Mazda & Ram

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
Joining last week's announcement that Audi will support the upcoming CarPlay platform, eight more car makers have been listed on Apple's website as "committed partners."

Audi was officially added to Apple's CarPlay site on Tuesday, along with the following eight new automakers:
  • Abarth
  • Alfa Romeo
  • Chrysler
  • Dodge
  • Fiat
  • Jeep
  • Mazda
  • Ram
Those companies join the likes of Toyota, Ford, BMW, Chevrolet, Nissan and more, who have pledged to support CarPlay in upcoming vehicles. Many have not given dates for when those vehicles will arrive, but Audi said last week that CarPlay support will be included in some of its 2015 models.

CarPlay

Many of the companies listed are also members of Google's Android-based Open Automotive Alliance, and some have indicated they plan to support both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay together in future vehicle "infotainment" systems.

A total of five car makers have pledged to bring CarPlay support to vehicles in their 2014 lineup. Those companies are: Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo.

Aftermarket solutions for older cars from Alpine and Pioneer are also forthcoming.

A week ago, Apple updated the CarPlay website to list the MLB.com At Bat app as a supporting third-party launch partner. It joins Apple's Podcasts app along with Betas Music, iHeartRadio, Spotify and Stitcher.

CarPlay will also come with built-in compatibility for Apple's native iPhone, Music, Maps and Messages applications. A new "Now Playing" application is also exclusive to CarPlay as part of the default installation.

When CarPlay products launch later this year, they will support the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, and iPhone 5. Connection to a head unit is required through a Lightning cable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    It doesn't necessarily mean all that much that they've signed on in principle. The question is, when will it actually become available in their models? For instance, Audi announced last week that it will be available in their 2015 models; but BMW has made no such commitment as of yet.

[Delete added portion]
  • Reply 2 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Does anyone know if these are all QNX-based systems?
  • Reply 3 of 62
    I wish they would start announcing models and not just automakers I'm curious to know if it's the full line up or just certain models will get it
  • Reply 4 of 62
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member
    Doesn't it seem redundant to list Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, & Ram? They're all a part of the same manufacturer - right?
  • Reply 5 of 62
    cfuglecfugle Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Doesn't it seem redundant to list Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, & Ram? They're all a part of the same manufacturer - right?

And add to that Fiat, Alfa Romero, Abarth and all the other smaller divisions of Fiat such as Lancia of Italy and so on. As Chrysler parts bins are now supplying bits and pieces to the newer Maseratis (brake pedals, infotainment units, window switches) this will only become another item in the bin. Add-ons from your dealer (e.g.: software applications to tune your engine, call SOS, online cell services) will cost an arm and a leg as dealers and their networks will not change how they do business because a couple high end tech companies want to see change. Yet maybe as one make starts inserting CarPlay quickly into their cars, it may force the competition to push forward is sales slump. It's a funny business the auto industry...it is so slow to change and would prefer to use 1920's sales techniques that gives the dealership/and or car network 100% of the control. We all know that CarPlay or its equivalent from Google is going to be a high end option like GPS Navigation even though every phone we now carry includes it for free. I see it being packaged as a leather seating/heated seats/extra chrome options only forcing you to buy into all this unneeded stuff to get the one thing you really want.

• Reply 6 of 62
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't know about the rest of the auto manufacturers, but the new Ford Sync will be a QNX based system. 

EDIT: The system in GM vehicles is QNX. 

• Reply 7 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Also, Audi...but not VW? VW owns Audi! Get with the program, VW.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Also, Audi...but not VW? VW owns Audi! Get with the program, VW.

Seriously, what's up with that?!

• Reply 9 of 62
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

they are shopped as separate brands.  To tell me Honda is supporting it doesn't tell me Acura is.  I'm a potential Acura buyer.  Not so much a Honda buyer.

• Reply 10 of 62
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member

<*Yawn!*> What's that? Another article about who is and isn't officially supporting CarPlay today? That's nice. I should probably read it. I'm sure it's a very well-crafted article. I just can't seem to make myself give a shit about who may or may not ever actually do anything with a system about which we know almost nothing. Maybe it's because, so far, no one has really described what CarPlay will do, how I will benefit, or why I would want it. Maybe it's the greatest thing ever. Maybe it's no big deal. It's really hard to know, and therefore care, without actually seeing a real product in action.

I'm gonna go have a nap. Someone please wake me if and when someone actually releases a CarPlay product. Thanks!

(Does that come across as cynical?)

• Reply 11 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It doesn't necessarily mean all that much that they've signed on in principle. The question is, when will it actually become available in their models? For instance, Audi announced last week that it will be available in their 2015 models; but BMW has made no such commitment as of yet.

I like my BMW. Even if it had CarPlay I would probably prefer the built-in software using iDrive instead of having to reach out and touch the screen. 

I don't like being distracted while driving so the other things that iOS would bring to the screen are generally things I do not want anyway, especially not Siri. I get so frustrated trying to use Siri, I would likely be pounding my fist on the dash. That has got to be the most aggravating piece of software ever invented. When something only works about 50% of the time, you are better off doing without it altogether in my opinion.

• Reply 12 of 62
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I like my BMW. Even if it had CarPlay I would probably prefer the built-in software using iDrive instead of having to reach out and touch the screen. 

I don't like being distracted while driving so the other things that iOS would bring to the screen are generally things I do not want anyway, especially not Siri. I get so frustrated trying to use Siri, I would likely be pounding my fist on the dash. That has got to be the most aggravating piece of software ever invented. When something only works about 50% of the time, you are better off doing without it altogether in my opinion.

I like my BMW too, but for the way it drives. IMHO, BMW's iDrive is crap. Talk about worse than distracting. It has the worst music interface and the worst voice command system of any car that I've owned (and, between my family members and me, I've owned a fair number of good ones from very good car manufacturers).

Moreover, there's nothing about Carplay implementation that is premised only on Siri, or more importantly, on touch. Indeed, one of the companies that demo-ed it (I forget which one) showed a physical knob controlled version. The importance of Carplay for me is seamless integration with my maps/nav, emails/texts, music, and less about Siri.

• Reply 13 of 62
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I'm gonna go have a nap. Someone please wake me if and when someone actually releases a CarPlay product. Thanks!

No, it comes across as impatient.

• Reply 14 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I know the uconnect system Chrysler uses for all its brands are QNX based. Its an awesome system that everyone loves. Extremely intuitive, responsive, and fairly compatible. I have the 8.4 w/Nav in my Dart. Its very nice. Its not perfect, but its far, far from any Microsoft based system such as what Ford uses. 

• Reply 15 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I don't know about the rest of the auto manufacturers, but the new Ford Sync will be a QNX based system. 

EDIT: The system in GM vehicles is QNX. 

I hope so, because the Microsoft based system sucks very badly. Its a shame so many people fell for their marketing. 

• Reply 16 of 62
    Quote:

They're all part of FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles), formally known as Chrysler Group & Fiat SpA. That being said, they might not all use the same exact system. Fiat doesn't use the same entertainment system as Jeep for example. Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep all use the QNX based uconnect based system, however some are using version 2 while other models are still shipping with version 1 of the 8.4" system. There are even some still shipping with the old old 6.5" uconnect system, but those are rapidly being phased out. They're all different manufacturers in the end with not quite the same exact systems. 

• Reply 17 of 62
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    I can't wait.... I have a Ford with MS Sync. It sucks rocks! It's not intuitive, It's clumsy and down right dangerous!
  • Reply 18 of 62
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

<*Yawn!*> What's that? Another article about who is and isn't officially supporting CarPlay today? That's nice. I should probably read it. I'm sure it's a very well-crafted article. I just can't seem to make myself give a shit about who may or may not ever actually do anything with a system about which we know almost nothing. Maybe it's because, so far, no one has really described what CarPlay will do, how I will benefit, or why I would want it. Maybe it's the greatest thing ever. Maybe it's no big deal. It's really hard to know, and therefore care, without actually seeing a real product in action.

Honestly? You come across like a sarcastic a-hole. If you hadn't noticed, this is an Apple rumor website. Those of us who care to speculate and relish in possible Apple future-tech come here to get their fill. It's obvious that you shouldn't be counted as one of us. Hope you wake a little less cranky.

• Reply 19 of 62
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    RAM is Dodge. Talk about redundant.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

RAM is Dodge. Talk about redundant.

They're really product lines, so pointing out that each line will have CarPlay is not redundant.