8 new automakers pledge support for Apple's CarPlay, including Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Mazda & Ram

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

<*Yawn!*> What's that? Another article about who is and isn't officially supporting CarPlay today? That's nice. I should probably read it. I'm sure it's a very well-crafted article. I just can't seem to make myself give a shit about who may or may not ever actually do anything with a system about which we know almost nothing. Maybe it's because, so far, no one has really described what CarPlay will do, how I will benefit, or why I would want it. Maybe it's the greatest thing ever. Maybe it's no big deal. It's really hard to know, and therefore care, without actually seeing a real product in action.

I'm gonna go have a nap. Someone please wake me if and when someone actually releases a CarPlay product. Thanks!

(Does that come across as cynical?)

your post comes off as completely clueless...not sure if youre living under a rock, but the features and value of CP are well documented. Pioneer's head units are implementing it now via firmware.

also, if you were as uninterested as you pretend to be, you wouldnt click the link, read the story, and write a comment. dur durrr

• Reply 22 of 62
    sailorpaulsailorpaul Posts: 322member
    Volkswagen. Get w the program. "...otherwise the three- pointed star will win 'ma heart". (Sung to some country tune or another)
  • Reply 23 of 62
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

Volkswagen. Get w the program. "...otherwise the three- pointed star will win 'ma heart". (Sung to some country tune or another)

Mitsubishi or a VW?  What a choice.  One is a car company with no cars and the other is cars without any customers.  (And that's from a long time VW owner).  Subaru all the way...

• Reply 24 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

RAM is Dodge. Talk about redundant.

RAM is not Dodge. RAM is a separate brand in itself for its truck lineup. There used to be Dodge RAM's, but once Fiat took over Chrysler, RAM became its own brand as did Dodge, Chrysler, SRT, etc. The idea was to have RAM for trucks and Dodge for cars. There's RAM truck (1500,2500, and 3500), RAM Promaster (big cargo van like what FedEx uses), and RAM C/V (basically a Caravan without windows or seats in the rear)

RAM has its own logo (the old Dodge logo), and Dodge has its own new logo with the double red / / . They're 2 totally different brands under the FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) umbrella. 

• Reply 25 of 62
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Honestly? You come across like a sarcastic a-hole. If you hadn't noticed, this is an Apple rumor website. Those of us who care to speculate and relish in possible Apple future-tech come here to get their fill. It's obvious that you shouldn't be counted as one of us. Hope you wake a little less cranky.

Too subtle I guess. Not cranky, just cheeky.

My point was that we haven't the slightest idea what CarPlay does. The news so far is essentially that it exists and that some car makers promise to use it. That's it. We've seen only the most cursory description of what it IS.

It would be nice to know a little bit about what car makers can actually DO with it. If a CarPlay equipped car came out tomorrow I wouldn't even be able to evaluate how well it exploits the system since we don't even know what the system is capable of or what it's intended to do.

How will a CarPlay-equipped vehicle compare to one with a traditional entertainment system? How about to one that uses Microsoft Sync? What functions will it provide? How will they differ from (or resemble) existing products? How will users interact with it? What the heck IS it beyond some vague description of an amorphous platform for some obscure purpose?

Since Apple won't tell us, all we can really do is wait for an actual product and see if it's compelling or not. Reading about nothing more than who's on board is boring.

Sorry if the humorous intent failed.

• Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

your post comes off as completely clueless...

Yeah, there's a good reason for that... People use a little too much emphasis when they tell me I'm "special." :)

Quote:

not sure if youre living under a rock, but the features and value of CP are well documented.

Not so much on AI, though, yes? All I've seen here is "Apple creates system for cars" and "These manufacturers might use it." If there has been a description of what it does and how it works, and I missed it, I apologize.

Quote:

Pioneer's head units are implementing it now via firmware.

Pioneer? They make plasma TV's, right?

I'm kidding.

I'm not a car audio enthusiast though so I don't follow what happens in that market. I'm just a Mac and iPhone user who reads only one forum that is specifically geared towards those products. Well, except for the user group I read for work, but there's not much about CarPlay on the Pro Tools forum!

Quote:

also, if you were as uninterested as you pretend to be, you wouldnt click the link, read the story, and write a comment. dur durrr

I didn't read it, and said so, remember? I clicked the link for the express purpose of voicing my disappointment about the lack of information about the actual product. Besides, isn't it kind of early in our relationship for you to be insulting me? Aren't you supposed to buy me dinner first or something?

• Reply 27 of 62
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I like my BMW. Even if it had CarPlay I would probably prefer the built-in software using iDrive instead of having to reach out and touch the screen. 

I don't like being distracted while driving so the other things that iOS would bring to the screen are generally things I do not want anyway, especially not Siri. I get so frustrated trying to use Siri, I would likely be pounding my fist on the dash. That has got to be the most aggravating piece of software ever invented. When something only works about 50% of the time, you are better off doing without it altogether in my opinion.

Unfortunately the BMW iDrive was one of the starters of this touch screen car control panels.

Since a BMW with no spare tire doesn't meet my needs, avoiding iDrive was no problem. Too bad as otherwise BMW has some nice cars, but a real spare is needed for long distance highway driving, particularly in the winter.

Now that all are following the iDrive, plus adding more on screen playthings, finding a car with REAL CONTROLS is going to be a big problem. I can see an after market for effective car controls, used by safe thinking concentrating drivers!

• Reply 28 of 62

I'm beginning to think my grasp of this product category may be hindered by my lack of familiarity with current automotive infotainment technology. The last time I installed a stereo there was no such thing as controls on the steering wheel or cell phone integration. Head units were, for the most part, standardized for size and mounting, and systems with system-specific outboard OEM amplifiers and weird-impedance speakers were a rare exception.

Now that those things are the norm, does it mean that any aftermarket system must involve a complete end-to-end replacement? Can I replace just the head unit in my wife's Jeep, or do I have to also replace the OEM multi-channel amp and 2-ohm speakers? Will an aftermarket head unit support the controls in the steering wheel? Do I have to install my own microphone for hands-free operation or will an aftermarket device work with whatever is already in the vehicle?

I'm sure I can get answers to most of this at my local specialty shop, I've just never cared enough to look into it (partly because the factory-installed systems are now so much better than they were in my day), but if CarPlay turns out to be compelling I'd be interested in knowing whether it can be implemented without having to replace the entire vehicle.

• Reply 29 of 62
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It doesn't necessarily mean all that much that they've signed on in principle. The question is, when will it actually become available in their models? For instance, Audi announced last week that it will be available in their 2015 models; but BMW has made no such commitment as of yet.

[Delete added portion]

In an email from BMW Customer Services to me yesterday, they wrote "With reference to Apple Car Play, I can confirm that the only up to date information we have received, is that this feature will become compatible with our vehicles in the near future.  However, I regret that I am unable to provide you with a definite date."  This sounds like a holding reply made to look like something might happen but who knows when?

• Reply 30 of 62
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member

Volkswagen is a complete mystery. 

My stab in the dark is that, before CarPlay, they went all out on a new Beetle called the iBeetle, which was their 'Apple' car. That was supposed to materialise this year, but hasn't. The reason? CarPlay came along, and they were so pissed at Apple because of having to start again that they decided to snub them. 

Probably ridiculous, but unless we get VW telling us here or a rumour or news slips out, wild speculation it is.

• Reply 31 of 62
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

OMG! My baby   and CarPlay! :p 

• Reply 32 of 62
    spinnydspinnyd Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

they are shopped as separate brands.  To tell me Honda is supporting it doesn't tell me Acura is.  I'm a potential Acura buyer.  Not so much a Honda buyer.

You're a Honda buyer all right, you just pay more for a nicer one.

• Reply 33 of 62
    Too subtle I guess. Not cranky, just cheeky.

My point was that we haven't the slightest idea what CarPlay does. The news so far is essentially that it exists and that some car makers promise to use it. That's it. We've seen only the most cursory decryption of what it IS.

It would be nice to know a little bit about what car makers can actually DO with it. If a CarPlay equipped car came out tomorrow I wouldn't even be able to evaluate how well it exploits the system since we don't even know what the system is capable of or what it's intended to do.

How will a CarPlay-equipped vehicle compare to one with a traditional entertainment system? How about to one that uses Microsoft Sync? What functions will it provide? How will they differ from (or resemble) existing products? How will users interact with it? What the heck IS it beyond some vague description of an amorphous platform for some obscure purpose?

Since Apple won't tell us, all we can really do is wait for an actual product and see if it's compelling or not. Reading about nothing more than who's on board is boring.

Sorry if the humorous intent failed.

Try looking at the 2015 Hyundai Sonata Carplay Demo video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBzhZ7g94i8 (from http://www.slashgear.com/2015-hyundai-sonata-first-drive-carplay-android-auto-onboard-30335834/).
  • Reply 34 of 62
    mstone wrote: »
    It doesn't necessarily mean all that much that they've signed on in principle. The question is, when will it actually become available in their models? For instance, Audi announced last week that it will be available in their 2015 models; but BMW has made no such commitment as of yet.

I like my BMW. Even if it had CarPlay I would probably prefer the built-in software using iDrive instead of having to reach out and touch the screen. 

I don't like being distracted while driving so the other things that iOS would bring to the screen are generally things I do not want anyway, especially not Siri. I get so frustrated trying to use Siri, I would likely be pounding my fist on the dash. That has got to be the most aggravating piece of software ever invented. When something only works about 50% of the time, you are better off doing without it altogether in my opinion.

Would you feel less violent if Siri had a male voice?
  • Reply 35 of 62
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Siri for music searches on your music library works quite well and I look forward to using it in the.

I use siri for maps directions all the time and it seems to work quite well most of the time. Also a very helpful feature i would like to use in the car. My in-car navigation is annoying as hell.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

OMG! My baby   and CarPlay! :p 

Although saving money and fuel is a nobel cause, that little vehicle would be squashed like the bug of its namesake if colliding with an SUV or truck. I know that I am not being all that environmentally responsible but give me a solid heavy duty automobile any day of the week over that minuscule death trap.

• Reply 37 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacSince1988 View Post

Try looking at the 2015 Hyundai Sonata Carplay Demo video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBzhZ7g94i8 (from http://www.slashgear.com/2015-hyundai-sonata-first-drive-carplay-android-auto-onboard-30335834/).

Thanks 1,000,000 for that! That's really helpful. I now know what CarPlay does -- it simply recreates the iPhone interface on the car's dashboard to make it easier to see and access. Not quite the vehicle operation renaissance some were wildly imagining but definitely handy. I want!

I'm still left wondering why this site hasn't provided that kind of informative overview though. It seems like the kind of thing an Apple-specific news site should have been all over. Oh well, moving on.

• Reply 38 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Thanks 1,000,000 for that! That's really helpful. I now know what CarPlay does -- it simply recreates the iPhone interface on the car's dashboard to make it easier to see and access. Not quite the vehicle operation renaissance some were wildly imagining but definitely handy. I want!

I'm still left wondering why this site hasn't provided that kind of informative overview though. It seems like the kind of thing an Apple-specific news site should have been all over. Oh well, moving on.

1) It doesn't recreate the iPhone interface, it's a completely new UI built into iOS for iPhone that's designed for the in-dash display, it's controls, mic(s), and speaker(s). That may seem like splitting hairs but it's a key difference over, say, simply installing an iPad mini in your car.

2) I seem to recall AI having extensive articles on CarPlay when it first premiered earlier this year at a car show.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    sailorpaulsailorpaul Posts: 322member
    razorpit wrote: »
    Mitsubishi or a VW?  What a choice.  One is a car company with no cars and the other is cars without any customers.  (And that's from a long time VW owner).  Subaru all the way...

Geez.... I meant Mecedes. As in "Loooord, woun't you buy me a Mercedes Benz"
  • Reply 40 of 62
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Although saving money and fuel is a nobel cause, that little vehicle would be squashed like the bug of its namesake if colliding with an SUV or truck. I know that I am not being all that environmentally responsible but give me a solid heavy duty automobile any day of the week over that minuscule death trap.

No concern here for that tiny Fiat, I just don't fit inside it.  It's also overpriced when well equiped !

If you are concerned about serious damage from a large SUV of truck hit, don't worry as even a mid sized car as I drive would be in trouble from such a hit.  But the mid sized car's handling makes it safer overall than a  large SUV or truck.

I found with a recent rental of a mid sized car, a VW Passat 1.8L TSI, that one doesn't need to get a tiny car to get very good fuel mileage.  That Passat consistently gave 41 MP(US)G at 65mph, except for Kangroo gas fill which was 10% less !

The Passat also ran very smoothly, with good acceleration.  I had to watch my speed closely, even on the highway.