Samsung to guard against anticipated 'iPhone 6' with metal-clad 'Galaxy F' in September

Posted:
in iPad edited July 2014
With a 4.7-inch iPhone rumored to be on the horizon, Samsung is reportedly readying its first non-plastic handset for a September unveiling in what could be an attempt to stave off defections from Galaxy buyers waiting for a larger-screened option from Apple.

Samsung's device, dubbed the "Galaxy F," is thought to bring an all-metal construction along with Qualcomm's Snapdragon 805, a 1440-pixel-by-2560-pixel QHD display, and 3 gigabytes of RAM. The metal build seems to be confirmed via high-resolution press shots published by @evleaks, but it is possible that Samsung will merely use a textured plastic to simulate an aluminum finish.

The handset has thus far been seen in both silver and gold liveries, though it is likely that a black version will also be available.

Samsung has been rumored to be considering a "premium" all-metal handset in the past, with the Galaxy S5 pegged to come in both plastic and metal variants. The company did not choose that route, however, instead releasing the handset with a dimpled plastic finish.

Apple's "iPhone 6" is widely expected to sport a larger 4.7-inch display, a change that surveys suggest could woo as much as 35 percent of Android and Windows Phone buyers. An even larger 5.5-inch "phablet" variant is also thought to be in the offing, though its existence is the subject of debate among analysts and Apple watchers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Samsung is Sam-sunk.

• Reply 2 of 68
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

It's just resting.

• Reply 3 of 68
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Looking at my wife's gold, er champaign iPhone 5s it occurs to me that Apple's been working on creating a gold-replacement metal for fashion for some time, like for the iWatch. Apple will continually be so far ahead of Samsung they really don't have a prayer if the large screen iPhones come online.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    A headline to goad derision, outrage and laughter, but the article doesn't really deliver what the headline promises.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Samsung's strategy for products...

• Reply 6 of 68
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member

That's a great idea, because the only reason I use an iPhone instead of a Samsung is the case material. I keep saying, "If only Samsung made a phone with a metal case I would no longer care about AirPlay or iCloud sync or FaceTime or Messages or Photo Stream or security at all."

(Shaking my head and rolling my eyes.)

• Reply 7 of 68
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's "iPhone 6" is widely expected to sport a larger 4.7-inch display, a change that surveys suggest could woo as much as 35 percent of Android and Windows Phone buyers.

Not sure about that. If I was Nexus 5 owner, I would not probably switch to a bigger phone with a smaller screen.

• Reply 8 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Galaxy Fail? I wonder how many ads would be targeted for vandalism.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    For mac ecosystem owners, i dont see moving to a samsung or android (even if some features are better) making any sense.

The mac os x is straight up clean and awesome. Coupling it with an ipad and iphone is gonna be even nicer with continuity and improved icloud space.

Airplay continues to be the best way for me to playback music on my system and in all my family member's houses.

Samsung/android currently have zero chance of wooing me away with better widgets or possibly slightly better interfaces. They would need to do something groundbreaking. Slightly better pixels on a screen or on the camera isnt enough to make me care.

I love the security of touch ID and now that it is PROVEN to be effective a vast majority of the time... Im sure i will love using it with 1password and for payments, etc.

Samsung fabricates chips well and should continue to stick to that core competency. I do appreciate them keeping apple on its toes too.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

It's just resting.

It's pining for the fjords. 

• Reply 11 of 68
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

A turd wrapped in plastic is the same to me as a turd wrapped in metal. At the end of the day, you're still left with a turd.

• Reply 12 of 68
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    Boo for samsung phone.????
  • Reply 13 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

silver and gold liveries

Where's the bucket?

• Reply 14 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

The back is still going to pop off for battery access. A stamped piece of sheet metal will dent or deform easily. Nothing at all like a solid block of aluminum.

• Reply 15 of 68

"guard against" in the title seems to suggest a defensive move.  A better defensive move would be if they went 64-bit, which I still haven't heard any rumor of (unless you count the vaporware-like reactionary "oh, we'll have that too" statements Samsung and others have been tossing out ever since iPhone 5S was announced).

I'm just not sure changing the material of the case will do that much when it only brings it to parity, rather than differentiating.

• Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

For mac ecosystem owners, i dont see moving to a samsung or android (even if some features are better) making any sense.

The mac os x is straight up clean and awesome. Coupling it with an ipad and iphone is gonna be even nicer with continuity and improved icloud space.

Airplay continues to be the best way for me to playback music on my system and in all my family member's houses.

Samsung/android currently have zero chance of wooing me away with better widgets or possibly slightly better interfaces. They would need to do something groundbreaking. Slightly better pixels on a screen or on the camera isnt enough to make me care.

I love the security of touch ID and now that it is PROVEN to be effective a vast majority of the time... Im sure i will love using it with 1password and for payments, etc.

Samsung fabricates chips well and should continue to stick to that core competency. I do appreciate them keeping apple on its toes too.

Like Apple creating the iPhone because of something Sumsang did or was doing? 

• Reply 17 of 68
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Why would they call it "Galaxy F" when a name like Galaxy 6 invites comparison with the "iPhone 6?"?
  • Reply 18 of 68
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    When a cheap, plasticky, iPhone-3G-ripoff Samsung design creaks and flexes, it just means you're holding it wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Lipstick on a pig Samsung.  That's all you're doing.

I took a look at the the S5 over the weekend while at Best Buy.  I had time to burn and figured I'd get a kick out of seeing if Samsung did anything to improve the performance of their phone with the latest Android build.

Damn shame.  I tested a few heavy graphic websites out there on my iPhone, then did the exact same thing on the S5.  With absolutely no surprise, the S5 still suffered from laggy/stuttering performance while my iPhone5 was silky smooth.

Shame on you Samsung for not only putting out crap, but pretending it's better than the iPhone experience.  Shame on Fandroids for having such low standards, they don't expect better from what is supposed to be a "premium" smartphone.

• Reply 20 of 68
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    How many versions of the Galaxy 5 so far? Obviously they didn't get it right the first time.