Apple cuts $45 off iPhone 'Reuse and Recycling' trade-in value, new max set at $225

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
Apple on Tuesday lowered trade-in values for its iPhone Reuse and Recycling Program in the U.S. and Canada, cutting as much as $45 off the value of older generation handsets like the iPhone 5.

Apple's Reuse and Recycling Program pricing changed overnight in the U.S. and Canada. | Source: Apple

As seen in the above photo, Apple's new recycling pricing appears to max out at $225, down from a price of $270 advertised through the company's website on Monday. The lower iPhone valuation was first spotted by iPhone in Canada.

Confusingly, while advertised in-store trade-in pricing has dropped, Apple's Reuse and Recycling online site is still showing payouts of $255 for good condition iPhone 5 units. Values should be consistent across both online and physical stores as Apple outsources its Reuse and Recycling program to a third-party vendor.

The new rate change is in stark contrast to Apple's previous recycling efforts. In August 2012, Apple began offering up to $345 for then-current model iPhone 4S units under the rebranded "Reuse and Recycling" program. The company has yet to start accepting trade-ins for the iPhone 5s, but that is expected to change with the upcoming iPhone refresh this fall.

In May, Apple launched a special promotion for upgraders by offering up to $199 for iPhone 4S units, or $99 for iPhone 4 trade-ins, with the credit to be put toward the purchase of a new iPhone 5s or 5c.

Apple first rolled out its product buyback program in partnership with California-based recycling contractor PowerON in 2011. Since then, the recycling initiative has expanded beyond the U.S. and Canada to the UK, as well as France and Germany.

As of April, the recycling effort now includes free recycling of Apple products at all brick-and-mortar Apple Store locations.

Outside of Apple's Reuse and Recycle program, third-party firms like Gazelle and eBay offer up to $360 in cash for 64GB iPhone 5s models. Those looking to upgrade to a newer model or simply offload old hardware can check out AppleInsider's Trade-in Guide for the latest deals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I just checked on a 64GB iPhone 5 and Apple's site is offering $205 for a device in good condition. Gazelle offers $220, and $230 for a device with flawless condition. I'm not sure what Apple and Gazelle were previously offering but a $25 difference doesn't seem like a big deal. I never assumed Apple's recycle program would pay out as much as something like Gazelle anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I just checked on a 64GB iPhone 5 and Apple's site is offering $205 for a device in good condition. Gazelle offers $220, and $230 for a device with flawless condition. I'm not sure what Apple and Gazelle were previously offering but a $25 difference doesn't seem like a big deal. I never assumed Apple's recycle program would pay out as much as something like Gazelle anyway.

It won't, but you get the convenience of being able to trade it in for an upgraded iPhone in one go. With Gazelle you have to package it up, wait for them to receive it, check it and fund you, and they might say it's not same condition you think it's in. Amazon's the same way but they do pay tend to pay out more quite a bit more, but it's in Amazon gift card.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Old handsets like the iPhone 5 LOL I still am using the iPhone 3GS
  • Reply 4 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It won't, but you get the convenience of being able to trade it in for an upgraded iPhone in one go. With Gazelle you have to package it up, wait for them to receive it, check it and fund you, and they might say it's not same condition you think it's in. Amazon's the same way but they do pay tend to pay out more quite a bit more, but it's in Amazon gift card.
    I checked a couple other sites and they were quoting prices similar to Apple and Gazelle. One site said sell within the next 7 days as iPhone 5 prices are expected to fall. I've used Gazelle before mostly because it's easy. I've always gotten the price they quoted me. Plus I'm not really a fan of using eBay or Craigslist.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    rogifan wrote: »
    I checked a couple other sites and they were quoting prices similar to Apple and Gazelle. One site said sell within the next 7 days as iPhone 5 prices are expected to fall. I've used Gazelle before mostly because it's easy. I've always gotten the price they quoted me. Plus I'm not really a fan of using eBay or Craigslist.

I think Gazelle locks in your value for 30 days so that can be a benefit.
  • Reply 6 of 20

There's a free app which can accurately determine the fair market value of an iPhone.  Prices are based off of average selling prices on eBay and Craigslist.  Takes about 3 mins to get price. https://www.getorchard.com/sell/

• Reply 7 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

AT&T will unlock your phone once the contract expires which is great for me. I keep my old phone as my international phone and the new phone is locked for USA. Then I just hand down my old-old unlocked international phone to a deserving person. I keep all the packaging so the gift phone looks like brand new.

• Reply 8 of 20
    I looked at some of the other sites that offer trade-ins, and found I could get $236 from uSell. And like @solipsismx says they lock in for 30 days too. Best part is it's cash too.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Would the phone be worth more if the original owner used Puracoat?
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/puracoat-liquid-screen-protector
  • Reply 10 of 20
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

From what I have read and heard Gazelle will almost never offer for the condition/grade you expect and instead will mention flaws or other attributes that downgrade its value. Scratch seen only under 20x magnification -- downgrade. Speck of fuzz inside 30 pin connector -- downgrade. Virtually nothing qualifies as flawless. They would find problems with something new in the box from the factory.

• Reply 11 of 20
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkman View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

From what I have read and heard Gazelle will almost never offer for the condition/grade you expect and instead will mention flaws or other attributes that downgrade its value. Scratch seen only under 20x magnification -- downgrade. Speck of fuzz inside 30 pin connector -- downgrade. Virtually nothing qualifies as flawless. They would find problems with something new in the box from the factory.

I had the exact opposite experience with Gazelle -- they gave me nothing but the best service. They made an offer on my iPhone 4 before I got my iPhone 5s -- I sent it to them in a box they provided. As soon as they got it the examined it and agreed that it was flawless and offered to pay what they offered. I had a check in a couple days. I think the entire process took less than a week.

Would recommend them over anyone also!

• Reply 12 of 20
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    This just hints there iPhone 6 is coming soon, probably iPhone 5S sart trading at the 5 price was in a few months.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I would never get enough value in trade to make it worthwhile for me to buy a new phone. If somehow I end up with a new phone some day (I'm on iPhone 4), I'll pass my current phone on to a friend that doesn't have a good phone, for free, which is what I did with my previous iPhone (original).
  • Reply 14 of 20
    dysamoria wrote: »
    I would never get enough value in trade to make it worthwhile for me to buy a new phone. If somehow I end up with a new phone some day (I'm on iPhone 4), I'll pass my current phone on to a friend that doesn't have a good phone, for free, which is what I did with my previous iPhone (original).

In the US it's typically advantagous to upgrade.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

I'm with you; my current iPhone4 at 3.5 yrs of age and original battery,

is still doing the job very well on a $30/m prepaid plan.

Only  the occasional slowness because of iOS7,

which has some lovely functional upgrades that more than make up for the occasional slowness.

If my iPhone4 still works well, when I'm attracted to a new iPhone model (could happen with the iPhone6) I'll give my current iPhone4 to some family member.

Then I'll buy from Apple an unlocked iPhone? and run it on the $30 prepaid plan,

which covers my needs very well thanks to free WiFi almost everywhere.

• Reply 16 of 20
    I fail to understand why so many people stick to a phone longer than two years. Nowadays you get upgrades for free or even 99$.

My mother is a great example, still rocking iPhone 4 yet she could have used free upgrade to get into either 4S or 5C at this point. And still be eligible for upgrade when 6 is released.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    We got $199 for my wife's 4s towards a 5s. It was a good deal. 32 gig on both.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    The recycle program and gazelle are nothing but scams, an iPhone 5 can cost $400 easily on ebay. Why are people so lazy? It doesn't take ages, the best way is putting your iPhone for bidding starting at $.99 cents....the bidders get attached to the race and once you know it, you got $400 for that 5!
    I strongly recommend ebay for anyone that has some time to get what your phone is truly worth!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    The recycle program and gazelle are nothing but scams, an iPhone 5 can cost $400 easily on ebay. Why are people so lazy? It doesn't take ages, the best way is putting your iPhone for bidding starting at $.99 cents....the bidders get attached to the race and once you know it, you got $400 for that 5!
    I strongly recommend ebay for anyone that has some time to get what your phone is truly worth!

1. $400 is not a guarantee
    2. What I call convenience you call laziness. Is the cost of my time not important?
    3. Even if I make more on eBay I have to make enough to cover to eBay and PayPal fees
    4. Why are you recommending eBay as a better option for someone, say, a grandmother who wants to get a new iPad? How is that better for her or are you just thinking about this from your own PoV?
    5. If one sells it on eBay they either need to go without an iPhone for a spell so they can get a good rate before the next model comes out or pay up front for the next iPhone and then sell it on eBay after the next model is out. This both will lower the value they can get and means I'm paying for the next model up front, whereas Apple applies the trade-in to your purchase.

Look, no one is saying eBay isn't a bad choice for you, but to call people that don't use eBay lazy is just ridiculous. I use it for certain things, but when it comes to my iPhone the value of convenience is very high.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Passing that iPhone along to a friend or relative makes the most sense. That's what I do. Selling locally can be convenient too. That's how I got my 3GS. Not everyone can afford those costly contracts and the more iPhone users around, the better the app selection.

I'd be more likely to sell to Apple if they made clear that all working phones are reused, meaning acquired by someone else. But their vague chatter about 'reuse and recycle' leaves me with a disturbing feeling that all but the newest ones are on a fast track to becoming milk bottles and pop cans.