Samsung to guard against anticipated 'iPhone 6' with metal-clad 'Galaxy F' in September

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why would they call it "Galaxy F" when a name like Galaxy 6 invites comparison with the "iPhone 6?"?

F is the sixth letter of the alphabet 

• Reply 22 of 68
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

They're not going to call it the Galaxy F, that is the worst name for a phone ever.

They're going to call it the Galaxy 6, the iGalaxy 6, or the iPhone-like Galaxy 6, or the iSamsung 6.

• Reply 23 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

They're not going to call it the Galaxy F, that is the worst name for a phone ever.

They're going to call it the Galaxy 6, the iGalaxy 6, or the iPhone-like Galaxy 6, or the iSamsung 6.

Check out the names of some of their other phones.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung-phones-9.php

I particularly like: Galaxy Fame Lite Duos 

• Reply 24 of 68
    Quote:

Why would they call it "Galaxy F" ...?

That was answered earlier in the comments, by jungmark:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Galaxy Fail? 

• Reply 25 of 68
    I saw recent polling that said up to 35% of Samsung users would jump to iPhone if it had a bigger screen. Brushed metal or not, you can't polish a turd.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:

is thought to bring an all-metal construction.... The metal build seems to be confirmed via high-resolution press shots published by@evleaks, but it is possible that Samsung will merely use a textured plastic to simulate an aluminum finish.

Yeah, texture + paint = cheapo phone that will start flaking chips of metallic paint making the user look like the tightwad s/he is.

• Reply 27 of 68
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

It's just resting.

No no! They're pining!

• Reply 28 of 68
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    But possible that Samsung will merely use a textured plastic to simulate an aluminum finish.?...
    But possible marble
    But possible fake marble look
    But possible carbon
    But possible fake carbon look
    But possible diamond
    But possible fake diamond
    But possible wood
    But possible fake wood look

Imho.. Samdung = FAKE ..
  • Reply 29 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Who’s desperate now, Fandroids?

• Reply 30 of 68
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    mstone wrote: »
    F is the sixth letter of the alphabet 

Maybe it will use Android FROYO.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    It runs Android. You can make the outside appear better, but the inside is still worthless. It's like pouring perfume on a pig.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Why would they call it "Galaxy F" when a name like Galaxy 6 invites comparison with the "iPhone 6?"?

Because lawsuits.

• Reply 33 of 68
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    He he he, F.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    rbalmerrbalmer Posts: 31member
    I prefer iPhone. It looks nice though.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

"guard against" in the title seems to suggest a defensive move.  A better defensive move would be if they went 64-bit, which I still haven't heard any rumor of (unless you count the vaporware-like reactionary "oh, we'll have that too" statements Samsung and others have been tossing out ever since iPhone 5S was announced).

I'm just not sure changing the material of the case will do that much when it only brings it to parity, rather than differentiating.

It won't stop Samsung buyers from buying iPhones, but it may stop Android users from buying iPhones...  

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Samsung fabricates chips well and should continue to stick to that core competency. I do appreciate them keeping apple on its toes too.

You can't ask them to leave a competitive market and then in the next breath appreciate the competition they bring to that market.

BTW, One Samsung's core competencies IS consumer/business electronics.   Semiconductors is just a part of that.  

(Their Land Construction and Ship Building are also pretty huge... no one is asking them to just build container ships).

• Reply 36 of 68
    bocboc Posts: 72member
    As if "metal" is going to change a person's mind in picking a safe, secure, integrated ecosystem, curated App smartphone???

Given Samsungss warnings to 'analysts', & Woz's rejection of their Galaxy Gear watch, I don't think Apple has anything to fear.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Because lawsuits.

Now they care about being sued?
  • Reply 38 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Now they care about being sued?

2 billion in the hole with more on the way and some import bans?

I personally hope they don’t care, but I just want to see it compound on them.

• Reply 39 of 68
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Remove the physical home button, the pulse scanner on the back, and replace TouchWiz with a different launcher and that phone would start looking pretty good.  In its current form, I'll pass.

• Reply 40 of 68
    sirgrmsirgrm Posts: 1member

Does this mean that Samsung will have to price this F-line higher than the already premium GS5?  I know the GS5 has been out for a few months now, but yikes, nothing like having a phone depreciate quickly.