Apple's Cook says iOS 8 voice messaging a key feature, prompts speculation of inclusion in 'iWatch'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2014
Citing a meeting with Apple CEO Tim Cook, an analyst released a report on Wednesday predicting iOS 8's new voice messaging feature could trickle down to a long-rumored "iWatch" wearable device, noting the gesture-based messaging technique is ideal for small-screened devices.

iWatch concept

In a research note issued on Wednesday, UBS analyst Steven Milunovich described the recent meeting with Cook, saying Apple's chief is keen on Chinese-style voice messaging that allows users to dictate messages to their phones before sending them off, reports Fortune. The analyst believes that porting such a feature to a wrist-worn device "makes sense."

"When we visited with Tim Cook, he said that walking down streets in China one sees people speaking into their phones sending voice rather than text messages," Milunovich writes. "It also could aid penetration of China, which Cook said has a ways to go."

While Apple's current iOS 7 features speech-to-text dictation, it does not have voice messaging functionality built in. Third-party messaging apps like Facebook Messenger are quickly incorporating the feature, however.

In the next-generation iOS 8, Apple includes voice messaging technology in the Messages app as an alternative to traditional text-based input. Current beta builds of the forthcoming mobile OS let users record a voice message with a single tap-and-hold gesture, then send it or cancel by swiping, a method that would be of use on a device like a wearable.

Messages will also be able to send video messages in much the same way, with simple one-finger gestures controlling the process of recording and sending.

While Cook did not call the iWatch out by name, the analyst believes iOS 8's upcoming voice messaging capabilities could be a keystone feature for the rumored wearable. Instead of trying to tap in text on a small screen, users would be able to simply talk to the device, perform one or two simple gestures and send the message on its way.

With rumors pointing to an October release, speculation as to what Apple is planning with the as-yet-unannounced iWatch has ramped up in recent weeks. Some reports claim the supposed wearable will come with more than ten sensors capable of detecting movement and deciphering health-related metrics like a user's heart rate. Others say the wearable will come with a "slightly rectangular" display could boast a new form of wireless charging.

As for Milunovich, he considers voice messaging as one of Apple's "jobs to be done" for the iWatch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Viber has had this feature for a while now.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    In iMessages in iOS 8 do you have the ability to preview the voice message before you send it?
  • Reply 3 of 66
    mazecookiemazecookie Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

In iMessages in iOS 8 do you have the ability to preview the voice message before you send it?

Indeed you do.

After holding the Voice Message button, depressing it turns it into a Play button to playback the recording before sending.

• Reply 4 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's current iOS 7 does not have dictation functionality built, though third-party messaging apps like Facebook Messenger are quickly incorporating the feature.

iOS7 does include Dictation. The dictation button appears next to the space bar on text keyboards throughout the OS.

iOS7 does not however include an easy way to send Voice Messages.

• Reply 5 of 66
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    I don't know about voice messages, but ever since I got an ERA Earpiece, I hardly ever do any typing: I dictate everything and use Siri to make calls, and even initiate the writing of emails.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    I cannot see the point in this feature, why not just call someone and have a conversation? If the are not available to take the call leave an answer phone message.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"When we visited with Tim Cook, he said that walking down streets in China one sees people speaking into their phones sending voice rather than text messages," 

So what app are these people in China using to send the voice messages?

• Reply 8 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

I cannot see the point in this feature, why not just call someone and have a conversation? If the are not available to take the call leave an answer phone message.

Then by your logic surely you cannot see the point in a text message?

Why not just call someone and have a conversation, and if they're not available leave an answer phone message.

This is a very obvious upgrade to text message with regards to convenience. Instead of writing it out, which is slow, you can speak your message. 

• Reply 9 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I think there is a purpose. If you are walking it might be easier to send a voice message. It is not exactly like a conversation in real time. Think of it just like a text message exchange, just easier to compose while on the go. 

• Reply 10 of 66
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    C'mon Samesung release a new Gear with this feature before Apple release iWatch.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    It would be cool if the recipient could chose to have either the audio or convert the message to text.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

Sometimes people don't want to be disturbed by an incoming call which buzzes/rings for a while in their pocket unless they take action to silence it.  A text message is generally less invasive.

• Reply 13 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I already can dictate a msg in Voice Memos and send it through Messages app. A wrist worn device would be easier, but not some grand revelation as opposed to just taking out my iPhone.
    It would be cool if the recipient could chose to have either the audio or convert the message to text.

And then have Siri read it to you, if the sender has an annoying voice¡
  • Reply 14 of 66
    wookie01wookie01 Posts: 54member
    crosslad wrote: »
    One point might be cost.
    In most countries every call is charged and even leaving or receiving voice messages costs more money.
    So sending an audio message via iMessage or any other messaging system that supports this means that it is just data. [Yes I know data costs money but not the same as the prices that Telcos charge for messaging and voice data ]
  • Reply 15 of 66
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

You may recording something incriminating and send it out before they kill you :-) Like that who sent a text message out before allegedly killed by NFL player Aaron Hernandez.

• Reply 16 of 66
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    Heytell has had this feature for years. And is it cross-platform! This is ideal for an iWatch.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Reminds me of the "Family Guy" bit:

BRIAN: "Do you even listen to yourself when you talk?"

PETER: "I drift in and out."

• Reply 18 of 66
    alcstarheelalcstarheel Posts: 554member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I already can dictate a msg in Voice Memos and send it through Messages app. A wrist worn device would be easier, but not some grand revelation as opposed to just taking out my iPhone.

But it will be more convenient and quicker to do. Instead of 7 arduous steps to send a voice message (open Voice Memos, create memo, save memo, find memo and hit share button, copy or hit text messages, find recipient, hit send) it'll take 3 quick ones (find text message, hold record and speak, hit send).
  • Reply 19 of 66
    crosslad wrote: »
    I prefer texting over phoning about 90 percent of the time. Besides, my kids rarely answer the phone or listen to their voice mail in this day and age.
    iOS 7 currently voice texts just fine: summon Siri and ask him to text anyone in your contacts, dictate your message, and it is done - you even get a preview of your text before permitting Siri to send it off. I only wish Siri would proofread the text back in order to keep the experience 100 percent eyes-free.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    iPod plays MP3s? My Diamond Rio has had this feature for years before the iPod. Apple = fail. /s