Alleged 4.7" front panel for Apple's 'iPhone 6' handled on camera to show one-handed use

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
The latest alleged "iPhone 6" parts leak claims to show the device's front glass panel, with a video showcasing its larger 4.7-inch size and how much of the display can be reached by holding it with one hand.

One-handed use was a key focus for Apple when the company introduced the larger 4-inch display on the iPhone 5 in 2012, but it may now be willing to eschew those principles to follow the trend of larger display sizes, if the new part obtained by Chinese website iFanr is legitimate. In the video below, the part is compared to a genuine iPhone 5 glass panel, and the site noted that both seem to be similarly designed.

The site noted that the edges of the glass have an "arc" to them, sporting curved edges as opposed to the rounded off corners on the iPhone 5 class. The alleged "iPhone 6" front glass is also noticeably thinner than its predecessor.

The glass part also suggests the forward facing FaceTime camera may have been moved to the left of the call speaker. Starting with the iPhone 5 and carrying over to the iPhone 5s, Apple had moved the camera to a centered position above the ear speaker.

And in one-handed use in the included video, the user is able to reach the sides of the larger 4.7-inch display, but it appears that reaching the bottom and top of the screen with one-handed use would be extremely difficult for most users.

For months, rumors have claimed that Apple's next-generation handset will come in two screen sizes: A 4.7-inch display claimed to be pictured above, and a larger 5.5-inch screen that would cater to the growing "phablet" market. One questionable report from earlier Thursday suggested the 5.5-inch variant could be dubbed the "iPhone Air."

In addition to having a larger screen, the "iPhone 6" is also expected to be completely redesigned, with a thinner design and curved sides making it distinct from its predecessors. Mockups claiming to show the design of Apple's "iPhone 6" also suggest that the lock button on the device has been moved to the upper right side of the handset, while the volume buttons are expected to be "pill" shaped instead of circles.

The next iPhone is expected to be about as thick as a current iPod touch, which measures just 6.1 millimeters, making it much thinner than the 7.6-millimeter frame of the current iPhone 5s. If Apple follows its recent release pattern, as is expected, then the next iPhone should be unveiled sometime in September and would launch the following Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 138
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    Rather than confirming one-handed use, this video demonstrates the opposite. While it shows that the thumb can reach from side to side of the screen, it cannot reach the top, where an entire row of app icons would be unreachable.
  • Reply 2 of 138
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    It's just so large...I really hope we get a 4" iPhone 6.
  • Reply 3 of 138
    ham_boneham_bone Posts: 67member
    I am a 34yr old guy who (like the guys i hang around with) do NOT want a bigger phone. One of my friends still has his 4s because he hates a big phone. Due to some of my job requirements that can be (slightly) physical at times, i keep a slim case on my phone at work. I have a lot of friends who are plumbers, contractors, electricians etc that have to use lifeproof or otterbox cases while they are working. Add the bulk of that to a larger phone and you now have a brick like the old days. If theres a "phablet" market for those with purses, murses & huge pockets then build/offer one for them. But dont kill a pocketable phone. The samsung flip i traded in for my 1st iphone took up less pocket space than my 5s does. Keep the PHONE in iPHONE.
    RANT OVER.
  • Reply 4 of 138
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member

A few thoughts:

1. one-handed use is nice, but there are clearly tradeoffs. I can understand that some users might want to sacrifice one handed use for the benefits of a larger device. I think it's fine that those users are able to buy an iPhone that better suits their needs. 

2. I also hope we get a 4" iPhone 6, and I hope it's not crippled somehow. Apple should not impose artificial tradeoffs between devices. 

3. I recognize that there may legitimately be some features that can be added to a big iPhone that can't be added to a small iPhone. For example, the thermals are probably different on the big iPhone (so maybe the CPU can run a little faster) and the big iPhone has more room for the battery (meaning it could be thinner, or have longer battery life). 

• Reply 5 of 138

My thoughts exactly... 4" screen is about as big as i'd like to have a new iPhone... Hopefully they'll have an 4" version of the iPhone 6 for people who don't want a monster phone you can't fit in a pocket!

• Reply 6 of 138
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    That 4.7" phone could easily fit into a pocket. And it isn't that much larger. Additionally, if it's as thin as we have seen rumors showing- that will expand the ability to reach further.

The main point is- wait until we see the final product to pass judgement. This could easily be a slightly taller and wider phone but less total volume and weight- like the iPhone 5 was. Apple will knock this thing out of the park.

Side rant- for one handed operation, all you have to do is be able to reach the top edge or bottom edge to "pull down" notifications or "drag up" control panel. Additionally- almost all commands are on the right side of the screen (delete, move, etc). So I really don't see where anyone will lose one handed functionality. Unless you're left handed of course, but then you're used to the world screwing you.
  • Reply 7 of 138
    I for one, am only interested in the 4.7" as I dedicate a Pants front pocket to the phone. I have absolutely no interest in the 5.5" phone. If I want to use a larger screen I grab my iPad.

Have you seen how silly it looks to hold a Phablet to your ear???
  • Reply 8 of 138
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Silly?

Nooooooooo.....

http://www.globalnerdy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Samsung-Galaxy-Note3.jpg

I think it looks perfectly fine... lol no

• Reply 9 of 138
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

That 4.7" phone could easily fit into a pocket. And it isn't that much larger. Additionally, if it's as thin as we have seen rumors showing- that will expand the ability to reach further.

A couple millimeters of thinness do not compensate for a screen that extends 1/2"-1" beyond the reach of your thumb. The phone could be as flat as a credit card and it still wouldn't mitigate the issue.

• Reply 10 of 138
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So does Apple just pretend they never made a big deal about being able to comfortably use the phone with one hand?
  • Reply 11 of 138
    newcodenewcode Posts: 24member
    It's interesting that Apple added features that help mitigate this problem before making the phone any bigger. The "swipe from the left" gesture now replaces having to reach the top left corner in many apps (Mail, Messages, Contacts). I'm pretty sure that wasn't a coincidence.

I'm torn, I would like more screen space but I like the ease of one handed use the 4" model currently offers. Hoping the 4.7" rumoured is a decent compromise.
  • Reply 12 of 138
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    blastdoor wrote: »
    A few thoughts:

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">1. one-handed use is nice, but there are clearly tradeoffs. I can understand that some users might want to sacrifice one handed use for the benefits of a larger device. I think it's fine that those users are able to buy an iPhone that better suits their needs. </span>

2. I also hope we get a 4" iPhone 6, and I hope it's not crippled somehow. Apple should not impose artificial tradeoffs between devices. 

3. I recognize that there may legitimately be some features that can be added to a big iPhone that can't be added to a small iPhone. For example, the thermals are probably different on the big iPhone (so maybe the CPU can run a little faster) and the big iPhone has more room for the battery (meaning it could be thinner, or have longer battery life). 
    I agree 100% that there should be no artificial tradeoffs between devices. I can see where a larger screen device might get software features that make sense on a bigger screen but I hope Apple doesn't do any BS like better camera specs on the larger device just to try and upsell you to something more expensive. I get having a premium and non-premium phone but screen size shouldn't determine which is which. Considering how many 4" phones Apple sells right now I'm guessing more people would opt for a 4.7" device than a 5.5" one.
  • Reply 13 of 138
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I wonder what's wacky about my settings on AI?

Not only do I not see any embedded video (which at least one persons refers to seeing),

but most of the 'links' in the article take me to product pages in Amazon and eBay, not

informational sources...:???:

• Reply 14 of 138
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I like the curved glass on the edges of the panel. I wonder though if that means there won't be chamfered metal edges as well?
  • Reply 15 of 138
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member
    Whose hand? Gene Simmons? Warwick Davis?
  • Reply 16 of 138
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Considering how many 4" phones Apple sells right now I'm guessing more people would opt for a 4.7" device than a 5.5" one.

A recent RBC Capital Markets survey of 705 would-be iPhone buyers showed 64% wanting the next iPhone model even if it's bigger, but only 26% were interested in one with a 5.5" display.

Sorry for the convoluted way I stated this, but that's the result of the flawed and leading way RBC presented the question to survey participants.

http://qz.com/225557/most-people-want-a-bigger-iphone-some-are-even-willing-to-pay-extra-for-it/

• Reply 17 of 138
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member

Possibility of the new lineup?

iPhone6 Air: 5.5" (A8)

iPhone6: 4.7" (A7)

iPhone 6c: 4" (A6)

Large

Medium

Small

Fast

Kinda Fast

Not Very Fast

• Reply 18 of 138
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

iPhone6 Air: 5.5" (A8)

iPhone6: 4.7" (A7)

iPhone 6c: 4" (A6?)

Large, Medium, Small?

The A6 is going away, excepting the massive iPad 4. Apple wants as many A7's or better out there as they can. There's no reason for the 4.7" to have the A7. Give it the A8, make the 6C have an A7. You'd need it to support TouchID as well.

• Reply 19 of 138
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member

If this picture is real, it looks like they might cover the entire top of the phone with glass instead of embedding it in the sides of the aluminum case. And just eyeballing it, the bezel looks narrower too. This would let them increase the width of the screen without having to increase the width of the phone by the same amount. It's a clever trick and totally Apple.

That rounded bevel also lends credence to the idea of an iPad-esque rounded side. But I wonder if the glass bevel is going to get nicked and scratched in people's pockets. Maybe this is where a sapphire layer comes in?

• Reply 20 of 138
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

I'm of the opinion that when it comes to mobile devices, mobility is key, so a smaller device is better than carrying around a larger device. I like to keep my phone in my back pocket, the current iPhone is about as large as I'd ever want to go (maybe even slightly larger - although I do miss the 3.5" models). However I know a lot of people who do not keep their phones in their pocket, they set them on the bar or table or just hold it in their hands, so I can see that a larger device wouldn't be a hindrance to them.

I honestly don't really care what the damned screen size is as long as the overall size of the device doesn't get much bigger (or they keep the 4" phone around). I am also going to be extremely disappointed if these leaked parts are real. I think Apple can do a MUCH better job than just stretching the old design. Last year with iOS 7 Jony concentrated on a new radical design for the software. I think this year, we'll see a different hardware design; if Apple is going to move to a much larger display size, I'm pretty sure they'll rework the entire design.

iPhone 6... 4" and 4.7"

And I still believe any 5.5" display will not end up in an iPhone, but rather a new iPod.