Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' to launch on Sept. 25, larger 5.5" version dubbed 'iPhone Air'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    darklite wrote: »
    I disagree - I think it'd be a shame if it didn't have superior hardware. A 5.5" screen gives them a lot more case space to play with, and it would be a real disappointment if Apple didn't take advantage of that space to include (for example) better camera components that physically wouldn't fit in a smaller device.

Back in the day, the premium Japanese electronics (Walkmans for example), had the smallest and lightest components; bulk and weight were relegated to the cheaper products. Automatically equating bulk = better is something Detroit marketers cooked up. Sounds like some of you never got past that.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I can definitely see Apple having a few differentiating features between the two sized phones.

Apple sometimes seems to make it a hard to choice to pick between various models of a product. People will have to weigh the cons and the pros of each one.

Maybe somebody was all set on getting the smaller model, but then they notice that the larger iPhone has a killer battery time. What to do, what to do.

• Reply 23 of 62
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    mention is made of a 16GB 5.5-inch version that will supposedly be called "iPhone Air."

How about iPhone Hot Air. There's no way Apple's making a 5.5" phablet.

Articles like the following suggest it's a big market:

http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/mobile-business/phablet-sales-surge-what-will-apple-do/d/d-id/1252800

but they include 5" flagship Android devices, which aren't considered phablets. Whatever size Apple goes with for the iPhone 6, this will compete with the flagship Android devices.

As the article points out, Samsung is the phablet leader and their phablet sales are still 1/10th of their product line. Some might say that means Apple could grow their userbase by 1/10th but they also fragment the screen size and have to have a whole set of support and separate repair components just for that small portion of the lineup. It's not worth it.

They just need to pick one size for the iPhone 6 that works well for most people.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member

Yes. Many phablet users I see are women, since they just chuck it in a bag.

Sadly, most of them don't understand the purpose of a tablet, so they think by having some massive phone they're covered on both fronts.

Please explain the purpose of a tablet in regards to functional difference from a phablet.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Please explain the purpose of a tablet in regards to functional difference from a phablet.

Phablets are just big phones.

It seems to me that some people who I see using crappy Android phablets are trying to kill two birds with one stone, but they are not succeeding. I think that many phablet users can't afford a tablet, so they figure that their big phone will be an ok compromise, but it's not of course.

• Reply 26 of 62
    What would people think if one of these ended up being the new iPod Touch?
  • Reply 27 of 62
    zatchuzatchu Posts: 2member
    Just because you Don't like the 5.5" iPhone doesn't mean that everyone doesn't, Myself I can't wait to get the 5.5" iPhone. I have a 5.5 Android now and I like the size. That is why I left Apple was the screen was to small,now I can come back to Apple and have my Big screen! Thank You Apple for listening to us and building a Bigger iPhone. I love the Apple ecosystem,I have a iMac,iPad 4 and a iPhone 5. So I'm excited and can't wait for the 5.5 iPhone Air to be released. Apple Rock's! All I need now is a new iPad! LOL!
  • Reply 28 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I want my portable electronics to be LESS portable. This makes sense to me.

iPads are considered portable but neither of ours leave the house very often.

• Reply 29 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I'm thinking it's not the size of the woman --it's the size of her purse. 

Well, I know one woman in particular who doesn't want a phone any larger than her current iPhone even though all of her purses are on the large side, however her hands are small. When I told her that the next iPhone was going to be bigger, she just said, "I don't want a bigger phone."

• Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

...Strangely, it seems the smaller the woman, the larger the phone! All the ladies I've seen carrying them are tiny.

Oddly, that is similar to a crazy thing I have observed here in Arizona.  The smaller the woman, the larger the truck she is driving.  Again, not a sexist remark (since I am not saying she is an idiot or anything like that), just an observation.

Interesting analysis aside, I have to think that if Apple makes a larger (4.7") and huge (5.5") phone, I would think that they are going to add things to the larger one that makes use of the additional space.  The better question is this, if they do make a phablet (damn, I hate that word something fierce), would they try to combine the functionality of the iPhone (i.e. calling people) and the iPad (on a much smaller screen); paving the way to an actual phablet device (instead of an overly large phone)?

• Reply 31 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

What would people think if one of these ended up being the new iPod Touch?

...or an iPad "nano"?

• Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

How about iPhone Hot Air. There's no way Apple's making a 5.5" phablet.

Articles like the following suggest it's a big market:

http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/mobile-business/phablet-sales-surge-what-will-apple-do/d/d-id/1252800

but they include 5" flagship Android devices, which aren't considered phablets. Whatever size Apple goes with for the iPhone 6, this will compete with the flagship Android devices.

As the article points out, Samsung is the phablet leader and their phablet sales are still 1/10th of their product line. Some might say that means Apple could grow their userbase by 1/10th but they also fragment the screen size and have to have a whole set of support and separate repair components just for that small portion of the lineup. It's not worth it.

They just need to pick one size for the iPhone 6 that works well for most people.

Two phone sizes would be OK. A 4" and a 4.7". Let the 5.5" be a giant iPod or a tiny iPad.

• Reply 33 of 62
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

It seems quite clear to me that the 5.5" iPhone is a rumour put out by Samsung.

They know that the only thing they have left is larger screens which Apple is about to do as well with a 4.7" iPhone.

Samsung start the 5.5" rumour so when Apple doesn't release a 5.5" iPhone, all the naysayers can start spouting that Apple is doomed and if you want a really big screen, you have to buy a Samsung phone.

• Reply 34 of 62
    With respect to more features on a the bigger version. Having a larger phone makes it easier to stuff more features. it also adds to the value of having said bigger phone which will have negative user experience based with respect to size.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

... I want a phone that can fit in my jeans pocket.... 

I have to wonder if a phone of that size is at all practical for a front jeans pocket. First sitting down with it in your pocket would require more similar to a pouch -- kangaroo pants. I have to imagine it wouldn't be too comfortable in the sitting position especially for guys. The stress it would put on the iPhone body (frame and either sapphire or metal surfaces) would seem to make it much more prone to screen breakage. I just don't see this working unless you don't mind taking it out of your pocket every time you sit down.

• Reply 36 of 62
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    mstone wrote: »
    iPads are considered portable but neither of ours leave the house very often.

The Osbourne suitcase-sized PC was considered portable too. My point is that MORE portability is still something that people value in portable devices.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    appleemplappleempl Posts: 75member
    I WANT THE BIG ONE! YEAH!
  • Reply 38 of 62
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple would be stupid to do that. They have to know the 4.7" will be the biggest seller. I'm still not convinced these phablets are that popular (outside of China). Also the recent front panel leaks have only shown 4.7" so I'm still not convinced a 5.5" model will actually go into production.

When the survey result shows 59% on 4.7" and 41% on 5.5" for iPhone 6, I would say 5.5" will be popular in the US as well. Most women will get 5.5" because they have purse and text more than talk on the phone.

• Reply 39 of 62
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well, I know one woman in particular who doesn't want a phone any larger than her current iPhone even though all of her purses are on the large side, however her hands are small. When I told her that the next iPhone was going to be bigger, she just said, "I don't want a bigger phone."

Yup...ONE woman....no more comment.

• Reply 40 of 62
    belugabeluga Posts: 83member

this is the lineup i'd like to see someday in the near future:

3.5" screen (like the iphone 4) -> iphone nano

4.0" screen (like the iphone 5) -> iphone air

4.7" screen (like the iphone thats coming, super thin) -> iphone

5.5" screen -> iphone pro

I think thats the best way to call them, and they keep the names unchanged in future models just like they do in the laptop line . Its confusing (and just plain ugly) to have the iphone models named 4S, 5S all while the samsung models are named S4, S5 ect.. yuk!

the iphone nano & air could have a little less features and previous generation CPU and be more price competitive. The iphone nano could come in different colors as well. Thats my glimpse of the future! :)