Samsung to guard against anticipated 'iPhone 6' with metal-clad 'Galaxy F' in September

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

It won't stop Samsung buyers from buying iPhones, but it may stop Android users from buying iPhones...  

You can't ask them to leave a competitive market and then in the next breath appreciate the competition they bring to that market.

BTW, One Samsung's core competencies IS consumer/business electronics.   Semiconductors is just a part of that.  

(Their Land Construction and Ship Building are also pretty huge... no one is asking them to just build container ships).

Yes, its pretty scary.  With our boom in fracked gas and resulting dip in energy costs in the US, the global energy conglomerates are looking to build multiple LNG ports so they can raise gas prices to the world market rate.  LNG ships are being ordered to the max and have a backlog of years before they even start building them.

The US has lost the capability to build these ships.  Our choices are China... or Samsung.  Lots of these are being built.  Each loaded one stores the energy of more than 50 of the nuclear bombs dropped on Hiroshima(although the explosion mechanism would certainly be different).  Here's hoping Samsungs profit drops in phones don't prompt them to take shortcuts in the shipbuilding unit =/

• Reply 62 of 68
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    frood wrote: »
    The US has lost the capability to build these ships.  Our choices are China... or Samsung.  

1- "at a competitive price"
    2- international ship maintenance is a known issue (examples abound, Erika among them)
    3- as long as CEOs won't get life sentences for having put the general public at risk, including pollution risk, this will stay a Wall Street enforced situation
    4- and why did the terrorists of 9/11 not just blow one of these up? That would have been spectacular.

France, Germany or the USA can build them, secure and safe. But not cheap. This is in the end why the only option is enwealthening te global community, and not US-style liberalism, increasing wealth differences and destroying value for the sake of a few privileged people. Just saying.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Samsung's strategy seems to have served the company well in the short term, but in the long term they've shot themselves in the foot- or the face. The thing is, with a company like Samsung, they can get caught up in their own hype, and own success, and lose a sense of reality, which is that consumers can get over-exposed to a brand, and its products. In the past couple years Samsung has been spamming marketing like crazy, as well as spamming phones. In the past 5 months alone they've released 11 new tablets. Just think about that. As for phones, their "flagship" is not staying their flagship for more than a couple months, with this new "S5 Prime" and "F" coming out. Like a child, they have an obsession with always staying in the spotlight. What Samsung doesnt understand is that this eventually erodes brand value- marketing saturation can pay dividends initially, but then people inevitably tone out. All their products, and all their marketing, has harmed their credibility, potential for excitement, and diluted their products for the long term.

I think Apple understands this concept well, since they tend to shut the **** u when they have nothing new to announce, and have long breaks between product launches. And these product launches are meaningful. You're not being beat on the head every month with a new product from Apple that they're pushing you to run out and buy. They know that this marketing effort is valuable and sacred, as is the attention and time of consumers. Same with their products. I think we've seen the peak of Samsung's strategy, and it will be downhill from here, especially after this fall. Their latest ads reek of desperation, as well as their upcoming products. The media loved peddling the "Samsung is the next Apple" narrative, so they can make some kind of "the giant has fallen" story, but they've gotten sick of that too. I truly think that even within a year, Samsung's mobile division will be a shell of its former self, both in terms of flagship phone sales, perceived value, and attention from consumers. And Samung will have noone to blame but themselves, but their short-sighted, superficial, spam-like product strategy. 

• Reply 64 of 68
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member

Have you all see this leaked photo of the Galaxy F??

Oh dear lord.  I may not use an iPhone myself but my next phone will not be Samsung.

• Reply 65 of 68
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

[...] I truly think that even within a year, Samsung's mobile division will be a shell of its former self, both in terms of flagship phone sales, perceived value, and attention from consumers.

I dunno. In the absence of some other player to step and take away the spotlight, it may dim somewhat but I don't think it'll move. Reporters and writers need a foil to rail against Apple's relatively glacial pace with respect to incorporating popular new features.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

A co-worker and I were recently discussing whether or not Samsung's reputation is deserved. We noted that TVs all look alike too -- someone had to have been first with the present form-factor, others saw that it was good and imitated the concept.

Ultimately we decided that Samsung is a special case. They go well beyond incorporating the good ideas of others into their own designs. They obviously try to make their devices seem like iPhone "equivalents" rather than "competitors." It's an indefensible and shameful practice.

• Reply 66 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Oh dear lord.  I may not use an iPhone myself but my next phone will not be Samsung.

YEEEEEEEEEES! That’s at LEAST another billion for Apple. Maybe even two or three. And it’s DEFINITELY an import ban.

• Reply 67 of 68
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

YEEEEEEEEEES! That’s at LEAST another billion for Apple. Maybe even two or three. And it’s DEFINITELY an import ban.

Only time will tell. 

• Reply 68 of 68
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Looks to me like Samsung actually makes money out of this even though they got hit with huge damages. 

I cannot see any other reason why they'd keep at it, else...