Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 328
    I love their desperation.

Also - I use my 5S. Maybe the Samesungites don't use the S5? They just flash the 'big' screen! No need to recharge for that ^^
  • Reply 122 of 328
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Those station look like they use NEMA connectors which makes that more for advertising and not stations specifically to charge your Samsung devices.

2) It become libelous when they say something that is blatantly false. All iPhones need to be charged and they can prove that someone has had a dead iPhone battery that needed charging in a public place. The Galaxy S5 will tell you the estimated max time remaining and the battery is user-replacable so that's all true. If they made some absolute statement that couldn't be proven as true and referred to specifically to the iPhone then it would be an issue.

3) This might be the first time a Galaxy S-line has bested the iPhone is battery life.

4) This ad is weak. Anyone that thinks the iPhone's battery life, which has been leading the market of app phones since it debuted, or a replaceable battery are issues aren't likely to be Apple customers anyway. For an Android-based phone it's a good choice, even though I'd go for the Nexus or HTC if I was forced to use Android, but I don't see this attack add doing anything but reinforcing the irrationality of their consumer base. But maybe that's what they want to do as the 8th gen iPhone is approaching.

What about measuring power efficient based on performance hours PER square inch of screen? GS5 = 11 sq in vs iPhone 5s/5c = 7 sq in. That means iPhone 5s/5c is still 30% more power efficient than GS5. You can do the math.

• Reply 123 of 328
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    We're not fucking morons like you, we have Juice Pack's if we need battery and we actually use our phone's because their not fucking shit. Your little battery saving feature, ya it looks like mutton and your design, well you fired your designer. Oh and your 2mb music file you have is crap. Water proof (UP TO ONE METER) I had a galaxy S2. THE WORST PIECE OF SHIP T ON THE PLANET. Not to mention your bad sales and everyone I've talked to who bought one of those things (2 people in total) hate the damn thing. The iPhone 5s's battery life (apparently) is longer than the galaxy s4 and the iPhone has a smaller screen. Assholes.
  • Reply 124 of 328
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    If they had fantastic battery life they wouldn't need to be plugged in, that's what the original poster was probably trying to get across.
    And you are so sure of when they last charged it. One issue in Starbucks is they are usually surrounded by other businesses a
    Not to mention the users in the building your wifi and or Bluetooth is looking at constantly. How the wifi is setup can have a huge effect too.
  • Reply 125 of 328
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    tooltalk wrote: »
    This ad is right on the money.  I was at Starbucks in SOHO, NYC, sitting next to a wall socket charging my MacBook last week. I was swarmed by iPhone users the whole three hours. Some even asked if they could use the USB ports on my MacBook to charge their iPhones -- I let them. Perhaps Android phones aren't very popular in this particular neighborhood -- there were a lot of tourists -- , but there was no Galaxy phone users asking for charging. 
    That would be using your phone. Either get a battery pack or a battery cover. I've noticed at restaurants, people with iPhone tend to use their phones more than galaxy users or android users.
  • Reply 126 of 328
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carloblackmore View Post

How about videos that are only posted to a YouTube channel no longer get described as "ads" or "shots at" anyone. If a company isn't brave enough to broadcast an ad on television or external outlets then I don't think it counts as saying anything important or new. It's not even posted in a conspicuous place on their own website. A corporate YouTube channel barely amounts to more than an internal messaging archive, that a company hopes will get turned into actual publicity.

it is not bravery- they spent truckloads of money last year on advertising.  in the end it helped negligibly.  now they want to pull back on spending.

funny and true story from two or three days ago. my friend and i were at a coffee shop, she let her phone (galaxy 5s) flop a little on the the table.  her back plate came off and the battery lost connection- reboot.  totally worth having a phone that has a self eject on the battery.  and where i work in Korea- three of us have iPhones, never plugged in.  nearly all the rest are samsung, on the charger, tied to their desk, even the newest one.   

• Reply 127 of 328
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

And you are so sure of when they last charged it. One issue in Starbucks is they are usually surrounded by other businesses a

Not to mention the users in the building your wifi and or Bluetooth is looking at constantly. How the wifi is setup can have a huge effect too

Doesn't matter when they last charged it, the fact is that the poster was swarmed for 3 hrs by iPhone users looking to charge their phones. The scenario he experienced directly correlated with the Samsung ad.

• Reply 128 of 328
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

That would be using your phone. Either get a battery pack or a battery cover. I've noticed at restaurants, people with iPhone tend to use their phones more than galaxy users or android users.

Finally some respect for non iPhone users :-)

• Reply 129 of 328
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

.... undeniable that they have the absolute best reputation of any brand and the Samsung ad is not about getting iPhone users to switch but more about keeping Android and Samsung users from switching to iPhone.

I think that's putting too fine a point on it. I saw no such interpretation.

I was simply pointing out that Samsung's ads -- regardless of truth, decency, fairness etc, on all of which the Mac/PC ad series was unimpeachable and Samsung is not -- are in the vein of boldly taking on the market leader hoping to sow doubt in the user's minds.

• Reply 130 of 328
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    How about videos that are only posted to a YouTube channel no longer get described as "ads" or "shots at" anyone. If a company isn't brave enough to broadcast an ad on television or external outlets then I don't think it counts as saying anything important or new. It's not even posted in a conspicuous place on their own website. A corporate YouTube channel barely amounts to more than an internal messaging archive, that a company hopes will get turned into actual publicity.

How do you know that they aren't buying advertising space on network television?
  • Reply 131 of 328
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

I don't know about the rest of you but my 5s gets charged 1 time a day when I go home and ranges from 80% left to 50% left depending on my usage.  Also Im running the beta of iOS 8 and it is a battery pig in some ways. So I think just from my observations that this samsung add is complete and utter BS as per usual from samsung.

• Reply 132 of 328
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    boeyc15 wrote: »
     IMO, the ability to change the battery, insert memory is a plus for power users. For the rest of us hacks(90 percenters(yes its a guess)), m'eh, typical Samsung FUD.

Not really. I'm a power user, as are most iPhone users as we tend to use our devices more frequently for more things. It's simple - buy the model with the most memory and manage it well, even using cloud services. Next, just like Samsung, get a good battery back up you can carry in your purse or briefcase, or even attached to your phone - a great model is the uNu Power DX case - it's brilliant, easy to put on and take off, and comes in handy on those rare occasions when I need it. You can find it here... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EP0U76S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The fact that you can change the battery in the Samesung phone is an advantage only in their own stupid minds!
  • Reply 133 of 328
    ppartekimppartekim Posts: 18member
    Could it be that iPhone users are actually using their phones more than S'phones and therefore are needing to recharge. I mean people who drive their cars more tend to use more gas than people who just have cars to use. That said, my wife and I only throw our iPhones in the charger at night and pick them up in the morn on the way out the door. Never had any battery issues unless I am using the Waze navigation and Pandora apps for day long trips in the car which was expected.
  • Reply 134 of 328
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Because there are no Mophie cases for Android, right?

According to this ad, they don't exist when you're in the Samsung world.

And battery cases and battery chargers do exist for Android, but they typically suck because they are cheaper quality, and Android users are notoriously cheap. I have yet to see a single Android owner using a mophie, or other seemingly high-quality battery pack.

At work I have three employees who are constantly asking if there's any good pack I can recommend under $30, I just shooh them away.

• Reply 135 of 328
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

.... undeniable that they have the absolute best reputation of any brand and the Samsung ad is not about getting iPhone users to switch but more about keeping Android and Samsung users from switching to iPhone.

I think that's putting too fine a point on it. I saw no such interpretation.

I was simply pointing out that Samsung's ads -- regardless of truth, decency, fairness etc, on all of which the Mac/PC ad series was unimpeachable and Samsung is not -- are in the vein of boldly taking on the market leader hoping to sow doubt in the user's minds.

Understood, but it is the difference between presenting something new and wonderful and trying to prevent a mutiny. Do you remember the PC hunter ads MS released? Sort of the same concept. Not so much trying to convert as it is trying to stop the bleeding.

• Reply 136 of 328
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

This ad is right on the money.  I was at Starbucks in SOHO, NYC, sitting next to a wall socket charging my MacBook last week. I was swarmed by iPhone users the whole three hours. Some even asked if they could use the USB ports on my MacBook to charge their iPhones -- I let them. Perhaps Android phones aren't very popular in this particular neighborhood -- there were a lot of tourists -- , but there was no Galaxy phone users asking for charging. 

I'm gonna have to call BS on this story for two reasons. One, I have never seen a smartphone user of any kind approach a complete stranger to ask them to charge their phone. Two, your history of posting lies and troll comments.

• Reply 137 of 328
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

For the generation these ads are aimed at I'm sure that the phrase "wall hugger" is intended to call up the "face hugger" of the Alien films. I don't believe that that is any kind of coincidence, particularly as Apple's battery life is excellent. 

• Reply 138 of 328
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ppartekim wrote: »
    Could it be that iPhone users are actually using their phones more than S'phones and therefore are needing to recharge.

That's very likely a huge factor as noted by comparing usage for iOS v Android, but I think a much bigger part of it is there are simply more people using iPhones as smartphones. I bet those distinctive, shiny white chargers and cord stick out more than the matte black of cheaper devices with worse battery life. I bet if you find the smartphone with the worst battery life as tested by AnandTech no one here will remember it being charged which is simply a case of them not being nearly as popular in the US compared to the iPhone.
  • Reply 139 of 328
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ppartekim View Post

Could it be that iPhone users are actually using their phones more than S'phones and therefore are needing to recharge. I mean people who drive their cars more tend to use more gas than people who just have cars to use. That said, my wife and I only throw our iPhones in the charger at night and pick them up in the morn on the way out the door. Never had any battery issues unless I am using the Waze navigation and Pandora apps for day long trips in the car which was expected.

As I take transit to and from work, I can add something more to this...

I see TONS of people on the bus and train using smartphones everyday, most of them iPhone's once you get to the downtown area, and mostly cheapoo Samsung's when you get to the suburbs with lower property and income values (correlation perhaps?).

Of the two groups, you only occasionally see the Samsung users pull their phone out and do something more extensive on them. Some watch a TV show, but usually not for the whole trip. Whereas the iPhone users are glued to their devices actively doing something on them. While I don't think this is healthy or social mind you, it shows the iPhone's get used far more than Samsung.

Even the coffee shop I'm sitting in now, I see two Samsung's, one is plugged in, and the other isn't being used. I also see 5 iPhone's and all are in active use, along with some iPad's.

• Reply 140 of 328
    skleinivskleiniv Posts: 37member
    Marvin wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any need for these then Samsung:

I wonder where the Apple charging stations are. This seems like another bout of insecurity from Samsung. Their S5 has flopped, they have no inspiration for future designs. Expect more cheap shots as they head downhill.

They did this with previous ads suggesting the iPhone was for older people and stats don't back that up either. When does it become libellous?
    Those pictures of the samsung charging stations in airports are hilarious after watching their ad!"