Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'

Comments

• Reply 261 of 328
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Then it's a good thing that Google Android is neither of those.

I guess you missed the part where Sundar Pichai proclaimed Android to be "not designed to be safe, it was designed to be open"... And Android is based on Linux, that is open source, and the source code is released to the community.

Android is nothing short of a disaster in terms of code quality and management, with hundreds of millions of users around the wrong being denied even the most basic security updates.

Everyone around here knows you're an Android supporter. Guess what, you're on the wrong site, and you won't get any pat on the backs for being one.

• Reply 262 of 328
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Different strategies favor different business models. But perhaps the more relevant topic is which business model favors the consumer, the one where they're treated as a valued customer or the one where they're treated as a profitable commodity?

I would prefer going with the valued customer model, as it ensures repeat business and continued prosperity for the company. Also, when a company treats their customers with respect and looks out for them, they show far higher moral standards.

• Reply 263 of 328
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Pages, Keynote, Numbers - Open office

This is the Saturday night comedy hour, right?

Windows Media Player seems like it may be equivalent iphoto and imovie.

Yep. You’ve never used them at all.

Quick search of garageband equivalents for pc provide multiple free results and I'm fairly certain there are other freeware photo and movie editing programs available for pc.

None of which do anything remotely like Apple’s suite.

If deciding a version of Windows to install is considered a problem, then I'm guessing you have much bigger issues.

Yes, because John Q. Public is supposed to be able to know the difference between Windows Basic 64, Windows Home 32, Windows Ultimate 64, etc.¡

Aesthetics is irrelevant.

Nope.

If you found me a copy of Windows 3, I could probably install it and get it running.  Wouldn't be functional with today's standards by any means and neither is your 25 year old mac.  Also, Windows machine parts can be replaced and upgraded.  Can't say the same for Macs. 

Just be quiet, please.

Learning Curve.  That's a very specific task, and not really a basic one.

It IS the comedy hour... Look, he’s double spacing after sentences and everything.

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

You would choose an older version of WMP. Try this and see the similarities. 

It doesn’t matter what version is used; they’re not the same product.

• Reply 264 of 328
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

And Android is based on Linux, that is open source, and the source code is released to the community.

Well, perhaps loosely based on Linux and also Java, but that is not any more of a negative than OS X being based on Free BSD and Darwin, both open source. I'm not saying Android is wonderful, only that your logic is flawed

• Reply 265 of 328
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Learning Curve.  That's a very specific task, and not really a basic one.

It IS the comedy hour... Look, he’s double spacing after sentences and everything.

I find that annoying too, but it was taught in school. Only typographers/graphic designers recognize that. This is a forum not a publication so double spaces after periods are excusable. The substance of his arguments, not so much.

• Reply 266 of 328
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

This image should explain why everyone who needed to charge their phone at the SoHo Starbucks had an iPhone. Hop over to Jersey and you may see the opposite. 

Wait.

There are iPhone users in Newwark?

• Reply 267 of 328
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

Request granted.

Look at the size of that thing!

It's gotta be a winner. Android fans follow the "bulk = more room for better components" formula.

• Reply 268 of 328
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    I type a lot, either inside the FB app or the Mail app. The iPhone 5S battery in these two apps is simply so horrible it is unbelievable.

My phone can go from 100% to 30% in just 3-4 hours of mail or FB use! So effectively I am at 30% by 10 am!

I am one of those who believe that Apple should add an additional 10 grams of battery, even if that increased the thickness by 0.5mm. That change would make the phone a much more pleasurable experience.

I am forced to keep my mails on Fetch Manual, forced to keep Bluetooth and WiFi and Cellular Data off when not required, forced to turn off Spotlight indexing, etc. If it was worthwhile to turn off AutoCorrect, I would do that too! I need to constantly close apps that are "running", etc.

This isn't the way I want to use my iPhone - by managing the power use. I still don't believe Samsung's replaceable battery is the solution, but definitely, a beefier battery would be awesome.

In fact, if Apple launched a Pro iPhone, with a double sized battery and a marginal increase in weight and thickness, many people would go for it!
  • Reply 269 of 328
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    macarena wrote: »
    In fact, if Apple launched a Pro iPhone, with a double sized battery and a marginal increase in weight and thickness, many people would go for it!

Then get a Mophie JuicePack.
  • Reply 270 of 328
    macarena wrote: »
    I type a lot, either inside the FB app or the Mail app. The iPhone 5S battery in these two apps is simply so horrible it is unbelievable.

My phone can go from 100% to 30% in just 3-4 hours of mail or FB use! So effectively I am at 30% by 10 am!

I am one of those who believe that Apple should add an additional 10 grams of battery, even if that increased the thickness by 0.5mm. That change would make the phone a much more pleasurable experience.

I am forced to keep my mails on Fetch Manual, forced to keep Bluetooth and WiFi and Cellular Data off when not required, forced to turn off Spotlight indexing, etc. If it was worthwhile to turn off AutoCorrect, I would do that too! I need to constantly close apps that are "running", etc.

This isn't the way I want to use my iPhone - by managing the power use. I still don't believe Samsung's replaceable battery is the solution, but definitely, a beefier battery would be awesome.

Sounds like you have bigger issues...

First off, the Facebook app has ALWAYS been a battery hog, on both iOS and Android, so this is by no means inclusive of iOS. Also, I am constantly in my Mail and FB apps, and with moderate use (3-5 hours daily), I still have 70%+ battery remaining at the end of my work day.

My best guess is you have a defective unit, because I NEVER hear of iPhone owners with your level of drain unless it's defective.
  • Reply 271 of 328
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Then get a Mophie JuicePack.

Come on - you can't be serious! Why would you kill the looks of an iPhone by slapping on a monstrosity like that Juice Pack!

Can't you understand the difference between making the phone 10 gm heavier and 0.5mm thicker, vs slapping on an ugly power pack?

A 0.5mm thicker and 10 gm heavier phone, would be like the same as Previous iPhones. But would comfortably allow anyone to use ALL the nice features of a smartphone, without worrying about battery life.

My point is, Apple is fighting a battle no one cares for, beyond a point. No one will even bother if the phone was marginally thicker or heavier - and most wouldn't even notice it!

And it is forcing users to compromise the way they derive value from their phones.
  • Reply 272 of 328
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Android is a mess of hobbled together and "tacked on" features. iOS has been properly engineered from the ground up by a team of engineers with decades experience in OS design. If we want to discuss the "efficiency" of either OS then we need to look at the underlying architecture in detail (something the trolls here know nothing about). Then the superiority of iOS will become apparent.

Though I don't share your sentiment since Google doesn't control the hardware and software. Even though there are many examples of hobbled messes when a pure Android build is used from Google without any outside modifications from third party developers and paired with a solid hardware infrastructure the experience can be quite enjoyable. Android has done a lot of growing up over the years and the latest version, "L" is quite fantastic, regardless of your biased feelings towards the platform. The Nexus 5 has a 2,300 mAh battery, I loaded the Lord Of The RIng's Trilogy  encoded as an MP4, 1080P, running time 682 minutes in VLC, turned on airplane mode and increased the brightness to 100 percent. The Nexus 5 finished all three movies and showed 8 percent remaining on battery. Next my husbands iPhone 5s, has a 1507 mAH, set it's setting to exactly that of the Nexus 5, the movies didn't finish, it got to the 42 min mark of the third film. Yes, the Nexus 5 has a bigger battery, yes this proves nothing but stating that Android is an unoptimized mess is simply not the truth. I did the same test with my iPad Air and Nexus 10, this time both finished but the iPad had 20 percent more battery remaining and the Nexus 10 was already complaining about low power. However the Nexus 10 like the iPhone had a smaller battery and wasn't running the new L build of Android.  The real surprise was my Nokia 2520, it showed 42 percent remaining but that is no surprise as I consistently get between 11 and 12 hours of battery life (amazingly when full brightness is at full I only loose about an hour, so it's always on full), 16 to 17 when connected to it's keyboard. The same with my Nokia 1020, during the LOTR rundown it also finished with almost 30 percent left on the battery and that was without it's Camera Grip which has an additional battery.

Battery life is a crap shoot, it depends on what your running and how many hardware features you have turned. That being said I have never been impressed with the iPhones battery, Both my husband and daughter use battery cases with theirs where as my son and I who have Nokia's never needed one. This of course has a lot to do with the size of the battery that's in it, the new larger iPhone will most likely change all of that.

So what I have learned, that if both the iPhone and Nexus 5 had the same size battery their battery performance would be very similar.

• Reply 273 of 328
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The Nexus 5 finished all three movies and showed 12 percent remaining on battery. Next my husbands iPhone 5s, has a 1507 mAH, set it's setting to exactly that of the Nexus 5, the movies didn't finish, it got to the 42 min mark of the third film. Yes, the Nexus 5 has a bigger battery, yes this proves nothing but stating that Android is an unoptimized mess is simply not the truth. I did the same test with my iPad Air and Nexus 10, this time both finished but the iPad had 20 percent more battery remaining and the Nexus 10 was already complaining about low power. However the Nexus 10 like the iPhone had a smaller battery and wasn't running the new L build of Android.  

So what I have learned, that if both the iPhone and Nexus 5 had the same size battery their battery performance would be very similar.

Your conclusion is a guess, but in any case you're just pointing out what many of us already have - that battery life is largely a function of the size of the battery (and therefore, the device.) So it's grossly misleading to run ad campaigns portraying iPhones as having poor battery life when that comparison is only possible against Android devices that are considerably larger and heavier. 

• Reply 274 of 328
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member
    Does it matter if the phone is heavier if you get good battery life?
  • Reply 275 of 328
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Does it matter if the phone is heavier if you get good battery life?

Yes it does. It also matters if it's bigger and doesn't bit comfortably in a jeans pocket.

• Reply 276 of 328
    Quote:

Yes it does. It also matters if it's bigger and doesn't bit comfortably in a jeans pocket.

My phone is bigger and heavier than the iPhone 5S and yet it gives me a whole days use (heavy usage) or 2 days use (light use) and still fits nicely in my jeans pocket, so I don't quite get your point.

• Reply 277 of 328
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Your experience isn't typical. I rarely go on Facebook or place voice phone calls, but I use my iPhone extensively throughout the day and typically have battery power to spare by 7PM. I have my email set to fetch every 30 minutes and I have WiFi, Bluetooth, Cellular and numerous notifications turned on all the time. The only time I generally run into battery life issues is when I'm traveling, and that's what my Mophie Juicepack and charger are for. I do not want to carry around a bulkier and heavier phone for the few instances where the added battery life would be substantially beneficial.

If you're at 30% battery power by 10 am, adding 10 grams of battery and .5mm of thickness will not solve your problem. I don't know anyone who's iPhone battery is that low by mid morning. There's likely something wrong with your phone or its settings.

• Reply 278 of 328
    Quote:

My phone is bigger and heavier than the iPhone 5S and yet it gives me a whole days use (heavy usage) or 2 days use (light use) and still fits nicely in my jeans pocket, so I don't quite get your point.

Galaxy S3 in front jeans pocket while sitting down does not sound very comfortable. Also that dim and oversaturated AMOLED display makes me want to barf.

• Reply 279 of 328
    Quote:

Galaxy S3 in front jeans pocket while sitting down does not sound very comfortable. Also that dim and oversaturated AMOLED display makes me want to barf.

Well I have no issues at all. Sorry about that. Dim? as if, my phone has a nice bright display. I only turn it down to half brightness to help save some power. I found that if you use auto brightness, you will use more power due to the phone constantly checking the light levels with the ambient light sensor.

• Reply 280 of 328
    Quote:

Well I have no issues at all. Sorry about that. 

And I have no issues with my iPhone's battery life.