Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'

Comments

• Reply 281 of 328
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

And I have no issues with my iPhone's battery life.

That's great. Its what any phone user wants regardless of the OS it runs. 

• Reply 282 of 328
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Well I have no issues at all. Sorry about that. Dim? as if, my phone has a nice bright display. I only turn it down to half brightness to help save some power. I found that if you use auto brightness, you will use more power due to the phone constantly checking the light levels with the ambient light sensor.

My iPhone's brightness is always set to auto. I don't waste my time fiddling with phone settings all day long since my iPhone does a great job doing that for me.

The S III's maximum brightness is 283 cd/m2. The iPhone 5's max brightness is 556 cd/m2. Makes a big difference when you're trying to read your screen outdoors in daylight.

• Reply 283 of 328
    Quote:

My iPhone's brightness is always set to auto. I don't waste my time fiddling with phone settings all day long since my iPhone does a great job doing that for me.

The S III's maximum brightness is 283 cd/m2. The iPhone 5's max brightness is 556 cd/m2. Makes a big difference when you're trying to read your screen outdoors in daylight.

I don't waste time fiddling with my settings. I set my brightness and leave it there. I don't change it.  You want to reveal your source for the brightness levels? 

• Reply 284 of 328
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Seriously?

Way to edit my quote where I clearly said I wasn't fully aware of iPhoto and iMovie.  Additionally I mispoke, I was thinking of Windows Media Center (which includes Media Player and other items) when I said just Media Player.  Even still, I'm not quite sure if they are comparable, but there are plenty of freeware movie editors out there.

• Reply 285 of 328
    Quote:

I don't waste time fiddling with my settings. I set my brightness and leave it there. I don't change it.  You want to reveal your source for the brightness levels? 

You're right, I was mistaken in my brightness specs. The S III is only 224 cd/m2, not 283. 

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

• Reply 286 of 328
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Even still, I'm not quite sure if they are comparable, but there are plenty of freeware movie editors out there.

They all suck in comparison.

• Reply 287 of 328
    Quote:

You're right, I was mistaken in my brightness specs. The S III is only 224 cd/m2, not 283. 

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

At the end of the day, if you are happy with the phone you have chosen, what anyone else says is irrelevant. My next phone certainly wont be a Samsung.

• Reply 288 of 328
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Your conclusion is a guess, but in any case you're just pointing out what many of us already have - that battery life is largely a function of the size of the battery (and therefore, the device.) So it's grossly misleading to run ad campaigns portraying iPhones as having poor battery life when that comparison is only possible against Android devices that are considerably larger and heavier. 

Oh most defiantly and I in no way did I  run this test very scientifically, just loaded three movies and pushed play. I just wanted to point out that Android isn't as inefficient as the poster I was commenting too was trying to imply. By the way the Nexus 5 is only 10 grams heavier then the iPhone 5s, that's about half the weight of a tooth brush so it's not much. Dimensions are also not so dramatically apart, 137.84 x 69.17 x 8.59 mm vs. 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm.

• Reply 289 of 328

If you're intent on sticking with Android, at least get an attractive phone like the HTC One or one without all the crapware, like the Nexus.

• Reply 290 of 328
    Quote:

If you're intent on sticking with Android, at least get an attractive phone like the HTC One or one without all the crapware, like the Nexus.

Oh its going to be the Nexus for me. The pure Android experience without all the crapware. Btw what is defined as crapware? Is it  "software put on the phone by the manufacture that the user deems a waste of storage space" ?? 

• Reply 291 of 328
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Oh most defiantly and I in no way did I  run this test very scientifically, just loaded three movies and pushed play. I just wanted to point out that Android isn't as inefficient as the poster I was commenting too was trying to imply. By the way the Nexus 5 is only 10 grams heavier then the iPhone 5s, that's about half the weight of a tooth brush so it's not much. Dimensions are also not so dramatically apart, 137.84 x 69.17 x 8.59 mm vs. 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm.

What I find amusing about these arguments is how the Android side is always moving the goal post to support their arguments. If we're talking about the Nexus 5, then the entire battery life argument goes down the drain...

"... the iPhone 5s lasted six hours and 15 minutes. The Nexus 5 lasted four hours and 43 minutes. That's 33 percent longer for the iPhone."

http://www.gizmag.com/iphone-5s-vs-nexus-5-comparison-review/30616/

• Reply 292 of 328
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Quote:

They all suck in comparison.

Please elaborate on what points they all suck.

• Reply 293 of 328
    Quote:

Oh its going to be the Nexus for me. The pure Android experience without all the crapware. Btw what is defined as crapware? Is it  "software put on the phone by the manufacture that the user deems a waste of storage space" ?? 

By the manufacturer and/or by the cell carrier. Same as all the junk installed on most Windows PCs that customers then have to pay a fee to have removed. 

• Reply 294 of 328
    Quote:

What I find amusing about these arguments is how the Android side is always moving the goal post to support their arguments. If we're talking about the Nexus 5, then the entire battery life argument goes down the drain...

"... the iPhone 5s lasted six hours and 15 minutes. The Nexus 5 lasted four hours and 43 minutes. That's 33 percent longer for the iPhone."

http://www.gizmag.com/iphone-5s-vs-nexus-5-comparison-review/30616/

WOAH that's kind of makes my idea of getting a nexus a bit mad now. I might have to go with a MOTO G because get a load of this....

• Reply 295 of 328
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Please elaborate on what points they all suck.

Sorry that's for another day. Do a Google search and compare usability and functionality between iMovie and its competitors, especially free ones. Also note that once you're comfortable with iMovie you can upgrade to the professional level Final Cut Pro X which has a similar UI. Try going from Windows Movie Maker to any professional grade video editing software on Windows and let me know how the learning curve goes.

• Reply 296 of 328
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Buy a Mac.  No need to search for freeware.

Out of the box:  organise and edit photos, organise and edit movies, create presentations, create documents, create spreadsheets, create music, organise and listen to music, video chat... of course, net, mail, messages, reminders.

?Many of these apps share libraries, so you can access photos, movies, music from other apps, and even edit photos again  in the new app using almost identical interfaces as in the original editor.

Seriously, you need to try a Mac to find out just how easy it is.

• Reply 297 of 328
    Quote:

WOAH that's kind of makes my idea of getting a nexus a bit mad now. I might have to go with a MOTO G because get a load of this....

Better stock up on memory cards if you get the 8GB Moto G. Also, if you take a lot of pictures with your phone, the Moto G's camera isn't the best...

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/moto-g-1199218/review/6

• Reply 298 of 328
    Quote:

Crapware? The Nexus and Google Play phones are the only Android phones without the addition of unnecessary software. The HTC One comes loaded to the gills with the crap. I will only buy an Android device if it has Nexus written across the back, third party developers have done nothing but destroy the Android platform, specifically Samsung and HTC. Sense is one of the worst skins I have ever used, not as bad as TouchWiz but pretty darn close. If I was to buy an HTC One M8, it would only be the Google Play addition.

• Reply 299 of 328
    Quote:

The new L developers build adds an additional 2 hours to that number, increases battery by 36 percent. It's still in development but so far the build has been extremely stable.

• Reply 300 of 328
    Quote:

Better stock up on memory cards if you get the 8GB Moto G. Also, if you take a lot of pictures with your phone, the Moto G's camera isn't the best...

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/moto-g-1199218/review/6

The Moto G comes in a 16Gb version and in any case, I have a 100gb storage on Google Drive. As for the camera, its meant for quick pictures. If i want to take pictures I intend to develop and frame, I will use my proper camera that isnt a mobile phone.