Rumor: Apple to boost 4.7" 'iPhone 6' battery by 15% over iPhone 5s

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
Apple may be planning to trade battery capacity for slimness in its next-generation handsets, according to a Monday report from the Far East, with the hotly-anticipated 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" said to pack an 1,800 mAh unit and its 5.5-inch sibling bringing a 2,500 mAh reserve.

"iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" concepts by Martin Hajek.

If true, the more diminutive device would receive a battery capacity bump significantly larger than the 8 percent jump between the iPhone 5 and the current-generation iPhone 5s, likely attributable to the increased power demands of the larger display. The report was first published by Chinese technology website IT168.

The stated 2,500 mAh capacity of the widely-rumored 5.5-inch "phablet" variant, meanwhile, would be an increase of 60 percent from the iPhone 5s. Despite the seemingly substantial increases, they would place Apple's offerings behind similarly-sized devices from rivals like Samsung and Motorola.

Samsung's flagship Galaxy S5, for instance, sports a 2,800 mAh battery alongside a 5.1-inch display. Motorola's Moto X packs a 2,200 mAh battery with its own 4.7-inch screen.

One reason Apple might consider such a move would be as part of a strategy to slim down the next-generation devices, as larger-capacity batteries bring with them a corresponding increase in size -- the Galaxy S5, despite a larger frame in which to place the battery, is still thicker than the iPhone 5s. The Cupertino company could also have designed a much more power-efficient architecture, thanks to their impressive vertical integration, that would allow runtime to remain the same despite the lessened power reserve.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

What’s that? A larger phone can have a larger battery? Gee.

Best part is that the A8 won’t compromise power per watt because of it, unlike what other companies would do. Wonder if there’s a portable 802.11ac chip yet…

• Reply 2 of 128
    There is so much wrong with this article.

Apple can't be "trading battery capacity for thinness" if the phone itself is actually thinner than last years. And the new phone isn't "diminutive" if it's larger than last years.

The batteries are larger because the phones are larger. Add whatever Apple's yearly battery improvement is to that, and you get a longer lasting battery.
  • Reply 3 of 128
    jaribbsjaribbs Posts: 8member

Anyone calculate the percentage increase in the screen size difference?  Is it comparable to the increase in battery size?  I can't find suspected height and width dimensions for the new screen to do the math.

• Reply 4 of 128
    I think the larger iPhone can have a comparable battery life to the iPad. That would be great.
  • Reply 5 of 128
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ????
  • Reply 6 of 128
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Clearly a response to Samsungs marketing. /s
  • Reply 7 of 128
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    If this turns out to be true then I think this may be the year I actually ditch the iPhone since using one for 7 years. The battery on the iPhones is laughable.
  • Reply 8 of 128
    itpromikeitpromike Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Best part is that the A8 won’t compromise power per watt because of it, unlike what other companies would do. Wonder if there’s a portable 802.11ac chip yet…

Indeed a larger phone COULD sport a larger battery... if the company making it was concerened about such things instead of their own engineering pride and prowess. We get it, making thin devices that pack a lot of power is difficult to do and is a feat of engineering... Making a device that lasts a whole day of heavy use or even longer is also a feat... a feat of customer satisfaction and many iPhone owners/users including myself would much rather a phone that they can use longer (especially those who like me use their phone to get work done) than a phone that's .05mm than the competition...

So yeah we get it, only Apple can make a device so thin and pretty... I guess my co-workers who work in the field with me will just have to settle with the fact that their preferred manufacturer can't make a phone as thin as my preferred manufacturer... while their using their devices several hours longer during our work day than I can with me having to constantly run back to the car or home office to charge up... Yay for us iPhone users... meh

• Reply 9 of 128
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Shocking isn't it?

As to A8, rumor has it that Apples primary goal with A8 is to lower power usage so it is very possible that the next generation phones will have very good run times. I'm also expecting a split with more powerful A8X's going into iPads. The one chip does all strategy really doesnt work because one product or the other ends up compromised.
  • Reply 10 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

Making a device that lasts a whole day of heavy use or even longer is also a feat... a feat of customer satisfaction and many iPhone owners/users including myself would much rather a phone that they can use longer (especially those who like me use their phone to get work done) than a phone that's .05mm than the competition...

Personally, I want an iPhone that's as thin and light as possible. I prefer a smaller profile with good battery life over a heavier phone with great battery life.

If you really don't mind a heavier device, why not just get a case with an external battery? Doing this will get you outstanding battery life.

• Reply 11 of 128
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

This is Apple's biggest fault:  They prioritize form over function.    Beautiful design and slimness is great, but it's worthless if you can't use the phone because the battery is dead. 

What's going to sell more phones:  a slimmer phone or a longer battery life?  I'd gladly buy a thicker phone for longer battery life. 

It's also a ridiculous compromise because most people put their phone into a case and once you do that, any semblance of its former thinness is gone anyway.    So Apple's phone will look great in ads, but not in real life.   At least not until they develop the technology to create a phone that doesn't need a case. 

(To Apple's credit, my iPhone5 slipped out of my pocket onto a concrete subway platform and then down onto the tracks and suffered absolutely no damage.  It was not in a case at the time.)

• Reply 12 of 128
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Indeed a larger phone COULD sport a larger battery... if the company making it was concerened about such things instead of their own engineering pride and prowess. We get it, making thin devices that pack a lot of power is difficult to do and is a feat of engineering... Making a device that lasts a whole day of heavy use or even longer is also a feat... a feat of customer satisfaction and many iPhone owners/users including myself would much rather a phone that they can use longer (especially those who like me use their phone to get work done) than a phone that's .05mm than the competition...

So yeah we get it, only Apple can make a device so thin and pretty... I guess my co-workers who work in the field with me will just have to settle with the fact that their preferred manufacturer can't make a phone as thin as my preferred manufacturer... while their using their devices several hours longer during our work day than I can with me having to constantly run back to the car or home office to charge up... Yay for us iPhone users... meh

Do you boo. I mean seriously... Studies have shown that Android people don't actually use their phones. It's only natural that the battery might last longer time wise since they aren't even using it to begin with. iPhone users are heavy users as a group. So yeah wall huggers iPhone users may be but Samsung users aren't even using their phones.

• Reply 13 of 128
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

a feat of customer satisfaction and many iPhone owners/users including myself would much rather a phone that they can use longer (especially those who like me use their phone to get work done)

I'm curious- what is it that you do that is "work" that drains the battery life so much?  Games and streaming video are the 2 biggest drains of battery-life.  So, technically, gamers should be the ones more concerned with wanting longer battery life.  Stop pretending you and your tasks are more important  than someone else's.  They are simply different tasks- none greater or lesser.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesTheLesser View Post

Personally, I want an iPhone that's as thin and light as possible. I prefer a smaller profile with good battery life over a heavier phone with great battery life.

If you really don't mind a heavier device, why not just get a case with an external battery? Doing this will get you outstanding battery life.

I'm in agreement with you completely.  I prefer the lighter and thinner phone.  I also can get through my day of work fine without needing a charge.  Of course, I'm not playing Candy Crush at the office or headed to the bathroom for a yank-fest either, so I understand how others need more battery life.

Regardless- You aren't grasping his point.  It's all about him and his uses.  Don't worry about solutions for the masses.

• Reply 14 of 128
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    shev wrote: »
    If this turns out to be true then I think this may be the year I actually ditch the iPhone since using one for 7 years. The battery on the iPhones is laughable.

You did read the article right, they would be increasing battery life! Combined with a new generation of electronics that should be a big win.
  • Reply 15 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Do you boo. I mean seriously... Studies have shown that Android people don't actually use their phones. It's only natural that the battery might last longer time wise since they aren't even using it to begin with. iPhone users are heavy users as a group. So yeah wall huggers iPhone users may be but Samsung users aren't even using their phones.

So you're saying that my mates who are doing the same work as me with the Galaxy S5's in the field are getting better battery life not because their batteries have a much larger capacity but because somehow we aren't doing the same work that I'm seeing with my own eyes? That somehow they are using their phone less than me? Larger battery capacity have potential for longer battery life. It's not a bias thing it's pure facts, numbers, and science mate. Unless Apple has created a brand new type of battery with breakthrough technology that no one has heard of or seen before then the battery life of this new iPhone will have marginal improvements. So it would go from bloody awful to just awful... nice.

• Reply 16 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You did read the article right, they would be increasing battery life! Combined with a new generation of electronics that should be a big win.

By a measly10% yes... so for a phone that lasts 5 to 6 hours of use that would give 30 more minutes of use.

• Reply 17 of 128
    ralphmouthralphmouth Posts: 192member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Shocking isn't it?

As to A8, rumor has it that Apples primary goal with A8 is to lower power usage so it is very possible that the next generation phones will have very good run times. I'm also expecting a split with more powerful A8X's going into iPads. The one chip does all strategy really doesnt work because one product or the other ends up compromised.

There will only be a need for an A8X if the A8 doesn't have enough graphical power to drive the iPad Air 2 display. The A7 GPU is powerful enough for the iPad Air and the A8 will probably have more than 2x increase. Unless Apple is doubling the resolution of the next iPad I don't think the A8 will have any problems.

• Reply 18 of 128
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    itpromike wrote: »
    I refuse to believe you are that ignorant... I just refuse. So you're saying that my mates who are doing the same work as me with the Galaxy S5's in the field are getting better battery life not because their batteries have a much larger capacity but because somehow we aren't doing the same work that I'm seeing with my own eyes? That somehow they are using their phone less than me? Nope I refuse to believe you're that ignorant. Larger battery capacity have potential for longer battery life. It's not a bias thing it's pure facts, numbers, and science mate. Unless Apple has created a brand new type of battery with breakthrough technology that no one has heard of or seen before then the battery life of this new iPhone will have marginal improvements. So it would go from bloody awful to just awful... nice.

I refuse to believe you are as incapable of reding comprehension as your post would lead one to believe. I said studies show Android users dont use their phones as heavily as iPhone users. Secondly, you may be using your phone more before work than they are. You dont what they are or arent doing with their phones prior to and after work. Its silly to try to assume. What we do know is what the studies show. Unless you have some other study that shows Galaxy 5 users use the phones heavily and get better battery life.....

You are assume the only difference in the phone is the screen size...lol! Its better not to make assumptions before you have all the facts in place....and even then real world usage means something vs theory. Apple is one of the best at making less hardware do more.
  • Reply 19 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I'm curious- what is it that you do that is "work" that drains the battery life so much?  Games and streaming video are the 2 biggest drains of battery-life.  So, technically, gamers should be the ones more concerned with wanting longer battery life.  Stop pretending you and your tasks are more important  than someone else's.  They are simply different tasks- none greater or lesser.

I'm in agreement with you completely.  I prefer the lighter and thinner phone.  I also can get through my day of work fine without needing a charge.  Of course, I'm not playing Candy Crush at the office or headed to the bathroom for a yank-fest either, so I understand how others need more battery life.

Regardless- You aren't grasping his point.  It's all about him and his uses.  Don't worry about solutions for the masses.

The bloody hell are you going on about mate? I never said my work was more or less important than anyone elses... I'm merely stating that many iPhone users don't just browse the net, play games, and watch videos (Apple/iTunes video drain battery much less than you think by the way because the GPU has optimization for the file formats the chips support and use HW acceleration to use less battery life).

• Reply 20 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I refuse to believe you are as incapable of reding comprehension as your post would lead one to believe. I said studies show this about Android as a group. Secondly, you may be using your phone more before work than they are. You dont what they are or arent doing with their phones prior to and after work. Its silly to try to assume.

It is silly to assume... so you should stop assuming. Take a stroll through the Apple support forums and search for battery life related forums. Take a stroll through Anandtechs site that does pretty rigid analysis of devices and gander at battery life performance charts that chart life over time/life of devices. These devices are run through the same rigorous tests so the results are based on same usage...