Rumor: Apple to boost 4.7" 'iPhone 6' battery by 15% over iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 21 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

There will only be a need for an A8X if the A8 doesn't have enough graphical power to drive the iPad Air 2 display. The A7 GPU is powerful enough for the iPad Air and the A8 will probably have more than 2x increase. Unless Apple is doubling the resolution of the next iPad I don't think the A8 will have any problems.

I'm actually hoping for an increase in this area as well.. my retina mini stutters at points and it's surprising... it's the first iPad I've owned (after the first gen) that visually stuttered when performing common tasks.

• Reply 22 of 128
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    This is Apple's biggest fault:  They prioritize form over function.    Beautiful design and slimness is great, but it's worthless if you can't use the phone because the battery is dead. 

What's going to sell more phones:  a slimmer phone or a longer battery life?  I'd gladly buy a thicker phone for longer battery life. 

It's also a ridiculous compromise because most people put their phone into a case and once you do that, any semblance of its former thinness is gone anyway.    So Apple's phone will look great in ads, but not in real life.   At least not until they develop the technology to create a phone that doesn't need a case. 

(To Apple's credit, my iPhone5 slipped out of my pocket onto a concrete subway platform and then down onto the tracks and suffered absolutely no damage.  It was not in a case at the time.)
    So why don't you buy a battery case. That'll give you the battery power you desire and protect your iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 128
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    itpromike wrote: »
    It is silly to assume... so you should stop assuming.

Wow! Speaking of assuming. You called [@]AdonisSMU[/@] ignorant when he stated that users of Android-based devices don't use their devices as much as iOS-based devices by selecting only the Galaxy S5 as an example. The stats clearly show that device the trillions of Android activations iOS-based devices have a greater usage presence. That is proof that the average Android-based device is utilized less often than a iOS-based device.

Then you go on to say that the results of the tests are based on the same usage but it's not. I'll let you read [@]IndyFX[/@]'s post as he sums it up better than I could.
  • Reply 24 of 128
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

The bloody hell are you going on about mate? I never said my work was more or less important than anyone elses... I'm merely stating that many iPhone users don't just browse the net, play games, and watch videos (Apple/iTunes video drain battery much less than you think by the way because the GPU has optimization for the file formats the chips support and use HW acceleration to use less battery life).

When you said "especially those who like me use their phone to get work done"- I read it as you were taking a high-brow shot at those that don't use their phone for "real work" and don't need the battery life like you do.  If I misread that, I apologize.

Videos via iTunes don't drain that much life- and Apple rates it at 10 hours.  That's why I carefully chose the words I used- I said "streaming" video online, and playing games.  Example- I played xCom (3gb video game) on my iPad Air on the way back from North Carolina- and it lasted maybe 3hrs on a full charge.

You also didn't answer the question- I'm actually curious what you do that drains the battery so long.  I live on my cellphone for work.  But it is just phone calls.  When I am on the road or traveling, navigation crushes my battery life- but I have a car charger to negate that.  So I'm genuinely curious what "field work" you do that drains battery life over a 8 hour period where there is no alternative.

You also didn't address @JamesTheLesser 's point that you could simply put a case on it that extends the battery life an addition 10 hours- granted, the phone would be heavier and thicker, but thats something you said was secondary to your battery life.

Can't you see how that is a significantly better option for you?  Instead of punishing me and others with a heavier and thicker phone with uneccessary battery life that I won't use and don't need?

And regardless how long your friend's 5S lasts- they still have to use not only Android, but Touchwiz.  So pity them.  Don't envy them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

I'm actually hoping for an increase in this area as well.. my retina mini stutters at points and it's surprising... it's the first iPad I've owned (after the first gen) that visually stuttered when performing common tasks.

Ok- so now you're either trolling or simply misinformed.  Neither my Retina iPad mini and iPad Air stutter.  And I use the Air for a significant amount of work with extreme graphically intensive apps.  I don't get stutter.  I didn't get it on my iPad 4 w/ an A6 either.  If you are getting it on "common tasks", then yours is clearly defective and you should take it in.

• Reply 25 of 128
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Total BS! First A7 is no where near fast enough to realize the full potential of iPad and neither will be A8 if Apple continues to follow the pattern set up with A7. IPad is severely limited due to the lack of computational horsepower, not just GPU power.
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    There will only be a need for an A8X if the A8 doesn't have enough graphical power to drive the iPad Air 2 display. The A7 GPU is powerful enough for the iPad Air and the A8 will probably have more than 2x increase. Unless Apple is doubling the resolution of the next iPad I don't think the A8 will have any problems.

Think all you want but you might try to imagine a future with far more advanced apps running on the platform! There is huge potential in the iPad as a concept that can only be tapped with much higher performance in the computational elements. This means fast CPUs, more and faster RAM and beefing up the SSD.
  • Reply 26 of 128
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    It is silly to assume... so you should stop assuming. Take a stroll through the Apple support forums and search for battery life related forums. Take a stroll through Anandtechs site that does pretty rigid analysis of devices and gander at battery life performance charts that chart life over time/life of devices. These devices are run through the same rigorous tests so the results are based on same usage...
    Great! For lte usage iPhone 5s is tops. In wifi it lags behind. If you need to be cobbled to a wifi hotspot all day you may have a point but if you are already cobbled to wifi, why not plug the dayum phone in. The bottom line is if you need to be mobile....then iPhone 5s is the phone to beat.
  • Reply 27 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I'm curious- what is it that you do that is "work" that drains the battery life so much?  Games and streaming video are the 2 biggest drains of battery-life.  So, technically, gamers should be the ones more concerned with wanting longer battery life.  Stop pretending you and your tasks are more important  than someone else's.  They are simply different tasks- none greater or lesser.

I also wonder about this. I consider myself a heavy user. I primarily make phone calls, text message and e-mail (the primary means of communication anyone "working" would likely use). My 5S battery lasts me all day at work with about 20% to spare. If I spent any more time on my phone then I wouldn't get any actual "work" done at my job.

Which makes me question all these people who claim to run out of battery power. I challenge any of you to list ALL your daily activities such as how many calls you make, where you work (office or road), what your job description is (anyone with a real job with have this), whether or not you have a laptop/PC at your desk/workstation and so on.

• Reply 28 of 128
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Total BS! First A7 is no where near fast enough to realize the full potential of iPad and neither will be A8 if Apple continues to follow the pattern set up with A7. IPad is severely limited due to the lack of computational horsepower, not just GPU power.

Think all you want but you might try to imagine a future with far more advanced apps running on the platform! There is huge potential in the iPad as a concept that can only be tapped with much higher performance in the computational elements. This means fast CPUs, more and faster RAM and beefing up the SSD.

In his defense, he is correct.  There isn't an app- graphically or cpu wise that the A7 can't handle.  If we can assume the A8 will be 1.5x-2x more powerful (which is typically the case)- then apps will advance accordingly.

Hey- I'm all for everything you mentioned- faster CPU, GPU, Ram and SSD- and I fully agree we've only scratched the surface of what the iPad can and will be able to do.  But give Apple a break- the A7, 9 months after its release, is still the best designed chip out there- from anyone.  And still a year+ ahead of the competition w/ 64-bit.  The A8 will only expand on that lead.  The A8x might not even be a possibility because it's simply not feasible.

• Reply 29 of 128
    Which means nothing. The vast majority of users have no problems with their iPhones and battery life. As a tool it fits their needs perfectly. If the tool doesn't fit your needs then there are one of two possibilities here. One is you have to learn and adapt to its quirks or two you learn to pick the right tool for the job!

Look at it this way if you hired a carpenter to build an addition to your house and you saw him driving nails with a crow bar would you be impressed? In a similar way you are making yourself look like the fool driving nails with a crow bar as you either can't learn to use the tool within its capabilities or you don't have the sense to buy the right tool. So really why are you whining on the forums here?
    It is silly to assume... so you should stop assuming. Take a stroll through the Apple support forums and search for battery life related forums. Take a stroll through Anandtechs site that does pretty rigid analysis of devices and gander at battery life performance charts that chart life over time/life of devices. These devices are run through the same rigorous tests so the results are based on same usage...
  • Reply 30 of 128
    I also wonder about this. I consider myself a heavy user. I primarily make phone calls, text message and e-mail (the primary means of communication anyone "working" would likely use). My 5S battery lasts me all day at work with about 20% to spare. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">If I spent any more time on my phone then I wouldn't get any actual "work" done at my job.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Which makes me question all these people who claim to run out of battery power. I challenge any of you to list ALL your daily activities such as how many calls you make, where you work (office or road), what your job description is (anyone with a real job with have this), whether or not you have a laptop/PC at your desk/workstation and so on.</span>

You may see yourself as a heavy user because you're using your device for a long duration each day, but from the standpoint of the device making phone calls and sending text-based messages, especially if they are SMS, is not very taxing. In fact, phone calls are how you can extend the usage of your device because the display is off and the power to send the voice channel is much less than for data, especially on a CDMA-based network.

It's also a way to gauge just how large the battery is in these newer devices without knowing the capacity of the battery as noted by the examples below.

700 700
  • Reply 31 of 128
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Wonder if there’s a portable 802.11ac chip yet…
    It's not entirely clear to me what you mean by that. Anyway there are already phones out there that support 802.11ac like the Nexus 5 f.e.
  • Reply 32 of 128
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I also wonder about this. I consider myself a heavy user. I primarily make phone calls, text message and e-mail (the primary means of communication anyone "working" would likely use). My 5S battery lasts me all day at work with about 20% to spare. If I spent any more time on my phone then I wouldn't get any actual "work" done at my job.

Which makes me question all these people who claim to run out of battery power. I challenge any of you to list ALL your daily activities such as how many calls you make, where you work (office or road), what your job description is (anyone with a real job with have this), whether or not you have a laptop/PC at your desk/workstation and so on.

Agreed Eric. I usually end the day with about 37% left when I put it on the charger.

Anyone who is having terrible battery life, you may have a rogue app that is draining your battery. That happened to me for a short time and on my girlfriend's iPad. It turned out that Plex was an issue. I just deleted it off of my phone all together while she restored her iPad and reinstalled. Fixed the problem for both of us.

• Reply 33 of 128
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    To get slimmer iPhones, Apple reduces battery capacity, resulting in that clever Samsung wall-hugger' ad. Users then buy add-ons that conceal all the effort that Apple has put into the iPhone's appearance. The result is uglier and thicker than if Apple simply created EL-models with extended battery life.

The real choice isn't between a pretty and thin iPhone and a still attractive but slightly thicker EL model. It's whether Apple makes only a model with such limited battery life that users must cover up that pretty phone with an ugly, generic case.

Customers like choices. Given Apple's large market share, it needs to include EL models among those choices.
  • Reply 34 of 128
    ralphmouthralphmouth Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Relax dude. I was only stating my opinion; I wasn't trying to argue with you. Of course it is always better to have faster CPU and GPU! That is not a bad thing. But Apple is not designing the iPad for the 5% of power users who may need the additional computational power. The iPad is marketed towards the average person as a general portable computing device so there will be no need for an A8X. I still think the A7 is fine for the iPad Air. No problems whatsoever for me even when I play 3D games.

Edit: Let me just add that if Apple does put a A8X with much more GPU power then I'm not going to complain. 

• Reply 35 of 128

I don't think it's very controversial to believe that people use their smartphones more and more - from the basic phone/text/email to browsing/Facebook to gaming/videos. More battery life - whether through optimizations or a larger battery - is not a bad thing and we are NOT yet to the point where we should be satisfied. 

I actually think the newest Android phones are getting pretty close to the point of diminishing returns where you can go a full heavy day of use and still have battery to spare. So a hour of calls, checking email all day, a couple hours of browsing on LTE, streaming music all day on LTE, checking Facebook/Twitter/etc throughout the day - and ending at midnight with 25% left. I can say my iPhone 5 cannot do the above. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8169/the-lg-g3-review/3 (note including a link just for comparison of current phones, not the this particular phone)

I'm 100% sure the SOC in the iPhone 6 will be incredibly efficient but a larger screen with higher resolution is going to draw more power. So I think it's fair to be a bit concerned about battery life on the iPhone 6 IF these battery rumours hold true.

My guess? Overall, the 4.7" iPhone 6 will have equal battery life (though much higher standby life) to the iPhone 5S. Slightly disappointing, but not a deal breaker. 

Personally I'd trade some thickness and weight for another 20-25% increase in battery size - since you get it at a FRACTION of the additional thickness and weight of an aftermarket battery case. 

• Reply 36 of 128
    Come on Andy you can do better than this! I may not agree with it promise about battery life but A7 is not enough even for the current catalog of apps and OS behaviors. IOS 8 "might" fix some of the performance problems but then again it might not.
    andysol wrote: »
    In his defense, he is correct.  There isn't an app- graphically or cpu wise that the A7 can't handle.  If we can assume the A8 will be 1.5x-2x more powerful (which is typically the case)- then apps will advance accordingly.
    You do realize you contradict yourself here. If there isn't an app A7 can't handle then there would be no need to have an A8 to advance apps!!!!! Given that there is a lot that A7 cant do well right now due to constraints on performance.

Hey- I'm all for everything you mentioned- faster CPU, GPU, Ram and SSD- and I fully agree we've only scratched the surface of what the iPad can and will be able to do.  But give Apple a break- the A7, 9 months after its release, is still the best designed chip out there- from anyone.  And still a year+ ahead of the competition w/ 64-bit.  The A8 will only expand on that lead.  The A8x might not even be a possibility because it's simply not feasible.
    A7 is certainly leading the pack relative to ARM based hardware and makes for a nice cell phone processor. It is far from being everything we need in an iPad. As for A8X it is feasible if Apple wants to go that way and wouldn't be an extreme departure from A8. For one a wider path to RAM and support for more RAM should be easy and isn't much more than what other X variants offered. However I'd like to see Apple go farther here and beef up the flash interface to support dual channels to flash to effectively beef up the SSD performance.

Honestly guys I have to shake my head when I see posts in these forums saying iPad is fast enough. It isn't even close even with run of the mill software I use. Hesitation is a bad thing. I see T as having low standards for acceptable performance if iPAd performance is seen as good enough.
  • Reply 37 of 128
    inkling wrote: »
    To get slimmer iPhones, Apple reduces battery capacity,

No they don't.

iPhone 3GS = 12.3 mm = 1219 mAh
    iPhone 4 = 9.3 mm = 1420 mAh

iPhone 4S = 9.3 mm = 1430 mAh
    iPhone 5 = 7.6 mm = 1440 mAh

Now in the iPhone 5S the battery has a higher capacity than it has ever been at 1570 mAh.
    Given Apple's large market share, it needs to include EL models among those choices.

No they don't.
  • Reply 38 of 128
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member

Hilarious! Does Apple have some magic pixie dust it sprinkles over iPhone batteries to give them a certain capacity independent of their size. Of course not. A smaller case means smaller space for a battery and thus a lower capacity battery.

Criticizing the anemic (compared to others) battery capacity in iPhones is about the best way around to bring out the Apple fanboys.

• Reply 39 of 128
    inkling wrote: »
    Hilarious! Does Apple have some magic pixie dust it sprinkles over iPhone batteries to give them a certain capacity independent of their size. Of course not. A smaller case means smaller space for a battery and thus a lower capacity battery.

Criticizing the anemic (compared to others) battery capacity in iPhones is about the best way around to bring out the Apple fanboys.

So despite all the independent reviews that detail the capacity of the batteries you still choose to believe that the batteries have to be smaller in size simply because the casings are getting smaller because you can't see how reducing the size of the other components can lead to having more internal space for the battery. Keep up the good work¡
  • Reply 40 of 128
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shev View Post

If this turns out to be true then I think this may be the year I actually ditch the iPhone since using one for 7 years. The battery on the iPhones is laughable.

no it isnt. i typically charge my phone once a day and have never had to laugh at the battery because its lasted me 24 hours. sometimes more.