Tim Cook reportedly seeking new blood for Apple's board of directors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2014
According to a report on Monday, Apple CEO Tim Cook is "actively seeking" new directors for the company's board as he relaxes the tech giant's laser focus in favor of support for existing products and new initiatives.

Tim CookSource: ImagineChina/AP Photo via Bloomberg

In a profile on his performance as successor to Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, The Wall Street Journal claims Cook is looking to add to the company's long-standing -- and aging -- eight-person board of directors.

The board includes seven outside directors, six of whom are over the age of 63. Four have been with Apple for more than a decade, while Intuit CEO Bill Campbell and J. Crew Group chief Millard S. "Mickey" Drexler have both served since the late 1990s.

As noted by the publication, the current board is known for its loyalty to Jobs, which could make things difficult for Cook as he reshapes Apple to better retain its lead in the marketplace. Overall, the Apple chief's recent moves are considered to be more in line with those of "normal" tech firm CEOs, a distinct departure from the way Jobs ran his company.

One former employee describes Cook as a "peacetime CEO," contrasting against Jobs, who was a "wartime CEO."

"The only thing that Steve cared about was creating great products. The company, the employees were only there to facilitate that goal," said a former employee. "Tim is much more worried about everything at the company."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    bobbyfozzbobbyfozz Posts: 97member

Want to see that Intuit Campbell guy go and VP Gore. The others I don't know but Campbell was a friend of Steve, but he's a jerk at running Intuit and keep the Mac platform behind as far as possible. Gore? What possible contribution has he made, even if we are talking political clout. Zero.

• Reply 2 of 90
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

As long as they don't base their decisions on "diversity" or any other forms of modern day discrimination, then I am in favor of this.

I've said this before, but being on the board of Apple sure sounds like winning a lottery ticket.

How often does the board have to meet? How many hours per year do the board members put in on average? How much of an input does the board really have?

I am much more in favor of a "wartime CEO", than a "peacetime CEO", but there's nothing that can be done about that since Jobs is no longer around of course, and Tim Cook has done a pretty good job so far.

• Reply 3 of 90
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Get rid of Gore. What expertise does he have in technology? And now that Apple has Lisa Jackson reporting directly to Cook they don't need an environmental guru on the board.
  • Reply 4 of 90
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Get rid of Gore. What expertise does he have in technology? And now that Apple has Lisa Jackson reporting directly to Cook they don't need an environmental guru on the board.

Algorithms were named after him for a reason. Duh¡
  • Reply 5 of 90
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Get rid of Phil Schiller first.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »

I never saw that one before! LOL

I think they need an end user with a lot of experience, and I am available. :D
  • Reply 7 of 90
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He believes he invented the internet.

He thinks Cacti are waving at him when he drives his Prius through the desert.

He has never been Googled.

He's, the least interesting man in the world.

• Reply 8 of 90
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    I've never understood why Ron Sugar is on the board. Former Northrop Grumman?
  • Reply 9 of 90
    dworlunddworlund Posts: 20member

RadarTheKat

"He's, the least interesting man in the world."

That's funny! ROFL!

• Reply 10 of 90
    Get rid of Phil Schiller first.
    Nah, just give him a new role. I'm sure Tim could find something for him to do.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Good news if true. Many of the board members are bit long in the tooth. I've been saying this for about a year now.

That said, I would also vote for some stability and continuity, and moving slowly. Many of them have grown up with the modern Apple, and they know today's company pretty well. They have, for better or worse, been a part of shaping it.
  • Reply 12 of 90
    jbcarojbcaro Posts: 47member

I'm available.

• Reply 13 of 90
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

"relaxes the tech giant's laser focus in favor of support for existing products and new initiatives."

Doesn't even make sense. What else does Apple do, other than focus on existing products, and new initiatives?

• Reply 14 of 90
    mactswmactsw Posts: 5member
    Oooh,ooh. ME!!!!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

How often does the board have to meet? How many hours per year do the board members put in on average? How much of an input does the board really have?

At least four times a year, in companies like Apple. The average Fortune 500 board member spends about one month worth of company-related work. Post-SOx, boards have a major say in what goes on in companies.

• Reply 16 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Get rid of Gore. What expertise does he have in technology?

Probably more expertise than you do.

I might agree with your suggestion, but your politics aside, why do you want to get rid of Gore?

• Reply 17 of 90
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

He believes he invented the internet.

He thinks Cacti are waving at him when he drives his Prius through the desert.

He has never been Googled.

He's, the least interesting man in the world.

I think that summed it up nicely.

• Reply 18 of 90
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Let face it. Steve was thrown out by the original board of Apple since they were bean counters. Steve obviously was able to get people in place who did not question what he was doing, they were just figure heads to give the outside world some satisfaction that someone may have been watching over Steve. The next worse thing for some companies outside of listening to what Wall Street has to say about how a company should be run is a board it is pushing the Wall street agenda. It is obvious that this board did not do that until Cook took over and they fell to the pressure of icahn and wall street.

• Reply 19 of 90
    Probably more expertise than you do.

I might agree with your suggestion, but your politics aside, why do you want to get rid of Gore?
    Because of what I said. Apple should have board members experienced in technology or running large corporations. But outside of politics why do you think Gore should stay?
  • Reply 20 of 90
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Nah, just give him a new role. I'm sure Tim could find something for him to do.

As long as that doesnt involve any product presentations at all, I might be okay. I cringe when he gets on stage. You can tell there's little to no understanding about what he's presenting. Just marketing speak.