Tim Cook reportedly seeking new blood for Apple's board of directors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Because of what I said. Apple should have board members experienced in technology or running large corporations. But outside of politics why do you think Gore should stay?

Al Gore, may have not invented the internet (in any event, for those interested in actual facts, he was misquoted on that), but as a member of the US Congress, he pioneered some of the enabling legislation that helped advance the internet as we know it today. I am not making this up: you're welcome to educate yourself by checking it out on the internet (no less!), if you wish.

All major corporate boards have political/regulatory types on them. Apple is by no means unique in that respect. It therefore makes perfect sense for someone like Gore to be on a major board. That said, he may be past his sell-by date. I am not sure who the alternative would be, but I can see that he should perhaps go.

"Because of what [you] said"? That's laughable. You simply asserted that Gore should go without offering an argument (unless you were claiming that he knows nothing about tech, in which case, you're plainly wrong), and then said that is because of what you said!

Typical of your shallow, drive-by posting style. (Not that I expect you to change -- my guess is, you won't -- but I'll call you out on it if/when I see it).

• Reply 22 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Get rid of Phil Schiller first.

Any reason for this madness, or can we just chalk it up to yet another person not to listen to?

• Reply 23 of 90
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

He believes he invented the internet.

He thinks Cacti are waving at him when he drives his Prius through the desert.

He has never been Googled.

He's, the least interesting man in the world.

Give it a rest!  Gore never claimed to invent the internet, he claimed to have played the leading political role in bringing it about.  That is true, and is backed up by the technical people who actually invented the internet.

• Reply 24 of 90
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Give it a rest!  Gore never claimed to invent the internet, he claimed to have played the leading political role in bringing it about.  That is true, and is backed up by the technical people who actually invented the internet.

Thank you! I am sick of that repeated myth going around saying that Al Gore "invented" the Internet when Al Gore never said that. 

• Reply 25 of 90
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Al Gore, may have not invented the internet (in any event, for those interested in actual facts, he was misquoted on that), but as a member of the US Congress, he pioneered some of the enabling legislation that helped advance the internet as we know it today. I am not making this up: you're welcome to educate yourself by checking it out on the internet (no less!), if you wish.

All major corporate boards have political/regulatory types on them. Apple is by no means unique in that respect. It therefore makes perfect sense for someone like Gore to be on a major board. That said, he may be past his sell-by date. I am not sure who the alternative would be, but I can see that he should perhaps go.

"Because of what [you] said"? That's laughable. You simply asserted that Gore should go without offering an argument (unless you were claiming that he knows nothing about tech, in which case, you're plainly wrong), and then said that is because of what you said!

Typical of your shallow, drive-by posting style. (Not that I expect you to change -- my guess is, you won't -- but I'll call you out on it if/when I see it).
    Yes my argument is I think there are others that know more about technology and running large corporations. And Gore's political connections certainly didn't help Apple with the DOJ.

As far as the internet goes...http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10000872396390444464304577539063008406518
  • Reply 26 of 90
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Give it a rest!

You’re unfamiliar with these commercials, I see.

• Reply 27 of 90
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Any reason for this madness, or can we just chalk it up to yet another person not to listen to?

His product presentations are horrible, and I feel he's a bit myopic about Apple's marketing? Good enough?
  • Reply 28 of 90
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

His product presentations are horrible, and I feel he's a bit myopic about Apple's marketing? Good enough?

Hey, at least it’s a reason! Just post it next time rather than “HE SHOULD BE FIRED BECAUSE HE SHOULD BE FIRED”. Cheers for having the guts to speak your mind.

• Reply 29 of 90
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Ugh. Another one of these articles. Sorry, I don't trusts sources that are unnamed and are former employees.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    "The only thing that Steve cared about was creating great products. The company, the employees were only there to facilitate that goal," said a former employee. "Tim is much more worried about everything at the company."

Steve had the right idea.... Pursue greatness and success follows.

Pursue success, and you become Hewlett-Packard. Or Compaq....

There's more to success than a tight supply chain.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    As long as they don't base their decisions on "diversity" or any other forms of modern day discrimination, then I am in favor of this.

I've said this before, but being on the board of Apple sure sounds like winning a lottery ticket.

How often does the board have to meet? How many hours per year do the board members put in on average? How much of an input does the board really have?

I am much more in favor of a "wartime CEO", than a "peacetime CEO", but there's nothing that can be done about that since Jobs is no longer around of course, and Tim Cook has done a pretty good job so far.

Where's "zombie steve jobs" when you need him?

Talk about forcefully grabbing market share and shaking up the board...
  • Reply 32 of 90
    nhajnhaj Posts: 7member
    With the new iWatch coming out I better sell my old Apple devices and use that money to get the iWatch. I usually search 8-12 different sites to find the best offer, but I just found this company that compares all the buyback companies in one spot. it%u2019s called RecomHub.

It%u2019s like Kayak but for electronic Devices that show you all the offers in one spot.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    vaporland wrote: »
    Steve had the right idea.... Pursue greatness and success follows.

Pursue success, and you become Hewlett-Packard. Or Compaq....

There's more to success than a tight supply chain.
    You don't think Tim is interested in pursuing greatness? You can be great and successful at the same time.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Algorithms were named after him for a reason. Duh¡

He believes he invented the internet.
    He thinks Cacti are waving at him when he drives his Prius through the desert.
    He has never been Googled.
    He's, the least interesting man in the world.

He thinks that grape nuts is a venereal disease.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

How about Jony Ive? Anything that would prevent a sitting SVP from also being a board member?

If not him, how about Elon Musk?

• Reply 36 of 90
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

You're showing your age with the use of the term 'venereal disease'. ;)
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

• Reply 38 of 90
    I see the head honcho of Tesla ripe for a seat at Apple. And Jean-Louis Gassée is really a wired in tech guy and a friend of Apple's.

.... Also, did anyone ever fill the seat of the Google mole on the Apple board?
  • Reply 39 of 90

Or...

He's a real hit with the cool kids.

• Reply 40 of 90
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    How about Jony Ive? Anything that would prevent a sitting SVP from also being a board member?

If not him, how about Elon Musk?

No except that it will waste Jony's time. Besides it's better to get trusted outsiders on an advisory role.