Rumor: Apple to boost 4.7" 'iPhone 6' battery by 15% over iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    shev wrote: »
    I'd normally have 3 bars all day and only 1 bar at home so don't think it's that. Don't think I've ever seen it hit 5 bars thinking about it.

Not ever having a great connection sounds like an issue to me.
  • Reply 102 of 128
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Total BS! First A7 is no where near fast enough to realize the full potential of iPad and neither will be A8 if Apple continues to follow the pattern set up with A7. IPad is severely limited due to the lack of computational horsepower, not just GPU power.

Think all you want but you might try to imagine a future with far more advanced apps running on the platform! There is huge potential in the iPad as a concept that can only be tapped with much higher performance in the computational elements. This means fast CPUs, more and faster RAM and beefing up the SSD.

Ever since that Apple-bashing Samsung crap ad about batteries, I've seen a LOT more trolls like you rolling around here at AI, and most other Apple sites. Quite coincidental, don't you think?

The A7 is one of THE MOST, if not THE MOST powerful mobile SoC available on the market, period, and you're calling it and the iPad a concept? STFU twirp.

• Reply 103 of 128
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shev View Post

I'd normally have 3 bars all day and only 1 bar at home so don't think it's that. Don't think I've ever seen it hit 5 bars thinking about it.

You might glance at your apps usage and see if anything is going nuts in the background, I've some weather and other apps that draw a lot of data which I expect translates to battery power in it's way. I expect that's part of the rationale for the One M8 "extreme" power saver option that just shuts a lot of stuff down globally, rather than Apple's approach of having to do that selectively.

• Reply 104 of 128
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Not ever having a great connection sounds like an issue to me.

A test for that might be airplane mode? Then selectively turn on WiFi and see what happens. Both shots show good WiFi reception.

• Reply 105 of 128
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    A test for that might be airplane mode? Then selectively turn on WiFi and see what happens. Both shots show good WiFi reception.

If he can go with standard phone calls for awhile that would be a great test that would exclude the cellular HW from the equation.
  • Reply 106 of 128
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Is it common for people to misspell "losing" as "loosing" on the forums? Or are the people doing it one and same person with multiple sock accounts?

Because I've never seen this mistake made elsewhere in social media. Just these forums. It's not even a common mistake, like confusing "you're and your" or confusing "who's and whose".

Explain, please.
  • Reply 107 of 128
    Is it common for people to misspell "losing" as "loosing" on the forums? Or are the people doing it one and same person with multiple sock accounts?

Because I've never seen this mistake made elsewhere in social media. Just these forums. It's not even a common mistake, like confusing "you're and your" or confusing "who's and whose".

Explain, please.

It's common on forums because of the fast nature of the writing which mirrors a spoken conversation more than an article. It has nothing to do with no not knowing the difference between the words.
  • Reply 108 of 128
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

If he can go with standard phone calls for awhile that would be a great test that would exclude the cellular HW from the equation.

Maybe it's just me- but I'd make an appt with Apple, go check out the new pro in person, and be in and out in 30 mins.  :smokey:

• Reply 109 of 128
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Explain, please.

Look- I dont know whose it is your talking about, but you need to loose the attitude

• Reply 110 of 128
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Explain, please.

I think that it's common. I've seen it before.

A great many people simply do not know how to spell properly. Everybody makes typos every once in a while, but many people do not even have a basic grasp of the English language.

I've seen people mixing up losing and loosing before, though it's not as common as they're and their, you're and your, etc.

And yes, I am definitely a grammar nazi. I will judge people and look down upon them if I notice that they do not know how to use simple words like they're and their. And I don't think that I am the only one to judge. A person's online appearance on a forum is their words, and if their words are ignorant and spelled incorrectly, then they are likely to be seen as being not too bright, and people are less likely to trust any facts or statements coming from people who type like they are in kindergarten. If people are not interested in coming across as smart or educated on the internet, then they can simply keep repeating their ignorant mistakes, while they refuse to learn anything. 

• Reply 111 of 128
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And yes, I am definitely a grammar nazi. I will judge people and look down upon them if I notice that they do not know how to use simple words like they're and their. 

Although this is primarily a USA site, there are also many foreign posters who are using English as a second language. When your system preferences are set to some language other than English, every word shows up as misspelled while trying to type in English. It is not too difficult for us to identify those situations and perhaps a little forgiveness for grammatical and spelling mistakes would be in order.  

Often for me it really depends on the quality of the content despite the typos. A lot of people are suffering from iOS error prone keyboards as well as auto correct insanity.  

But I agree with you on judging users who post ludicrous comments in conjunction with poor English writing skills. 

I am also annoyed by typos by the article authors. That to me is inexcusable because it is supposed to be journalism. 

• Reply 112 of 128
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    This is Apple's biggest fault:  They prioritize form over function.    Beautiful design and slimness is great, but it's worthless if you can't use the phone because the battery is dead. 

What's going to sell more phones:  a slimmer phone or a longer battery life?  I'd gladly buy a thicker phone for longer battery life. 

It's also a ridiculous compromise because most people put their phone into a case and once you do that, any semblance of its former thinness is gone anyway.    So Apple's phone will look great in ads, but not in real life.   At least not until they develop the technology to create a phone that doesn't need a case. 

(To Apple's credit, my iPhone5 slipped out of my pocket onto a concrete subway platform and then down onto the tracks and suffered absolutely no damage.  It was not in a case at the time.)

Obviously the marketplace disagrees with your observations and conclusions since the iPhone outsells all other high end models. And apparently your "worthless" comment is in direct conflict with the fact that you own an iPhone.
  • Reply 113 of 128

I think the big iPhone can have a comparable battery life to the iPad. That would be great.Is it comparable to the increase in battery size? 

• Reply 114 of 128
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:

If this turns out to be true then I think this may be the year I actually ditch the iPhone since using one for 7 years. The battery on the iPhones is laughable.

Apple still does not get it that battery life is much more important than thinness. still playing catch up to Android oem

• Reply 115 of 128
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You did read the article right, they would be increasing battery life! Combined with a new generation of electronics that should be a big win.

oh yeah maybe we can get an extra 10 minute to add to an average 5-6 hrs battery life on my 5s wow! 

• Reply 116 of 128
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RPT View Post

Quote:

And what battery life was sacrificed when the device is more power efficient and has an increased battery capacity resulting in longer duration of use for the same tasks?

The better battery life that would have resulted if they didn't choose to reduce the thickness, which is the single most criticized feature by the 5000+ users of the iPhone where I work.

Luckily, we don't all have to work in an environment that desires ugliness.

• Reply 117 of 128
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Have you considered taking it into the Apple store and having them run a diagnostic on it?  4 hour drains through regular usage are absolutely not normal.  What if it ends up being a rogue app as another user earlier mentioned?  Or if it's defective in some way?

A personal note- my wife took her gold 5s in about 2 weeks ago that we got on release day in because the speakers were all muffled sounding.  She assumed it was because she has it in her sports bra when she does cardio and sweats (don't ask).  When they plugged it in- keep in mind this info is coming from my wife- the diagnostic said it had something defective that was draining the battery and he asked if she noticed her battery life was less than her old 5.  She didn't notice, but regardless, they replaced it without a question.

So before you criticize, there is a distinct possibility yours could be defective- be it hardware or software.  40 million iPhones- theres gonna be some that aren't perfect.

Yeah, maybe it is a defective battery. Couple of screenshots I've taken recently. I personally don't find that acceptable for a smartphone in 2014 and I'm waiting for the '6' reviews to see how it's battery holds up against the competition. Continuity in Yosemite is the only thing keeping me from jumping to the One M8 right now if I'm honest.

I notice that you have a very weak cellular reception, which is notorious with all phones for draining the battery quickly. Do you live in the sticks?

I addition, I don't believe you own an iPad, so I imagine you do everything on your iPhone. 

• Reply 118 of 128
    Quote:

Explain, please.

I see it all over the place. The best thing to do is to correct someone who makes a mistake, rather than cowering behind a post to no-one. 

Your own post contained several grammatical errors. Life is short.

• Reply 119 of 128
    Quote:

Quote:

Explain, please.

It's common on forums because of the fast nature of the writing which mirrors a spoken conversation more than an article. It has nothing to do with no not knowing the difference between the words.

No; I believe it's a common mistake that people make. Autocorrect doesn't correct it because loose is a legitimate word.

• Reply 120 of 128
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Sapphire has a slightly lower transparency. You need more for backlight.

Add to that the larger screen.

I think this largely going to be a wash.