Samsung predicts massive profit decline, blames slumping smartphone sales

Comments

• Reply 101 of 172
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Samsung's pain will grow when Apple's healthy numbers come out for the latest quarter.
  • Reply 102 of 172
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mostcallmerob View Post

I never said that Apple was not innovative as a company, I was talking in regards to the iPhone. As another member pointed out, Apple has been the most innovative tech company in regards to the iPod, iPhone, and iPad. I give them credit for setting the bar for all of those devices, and setting the path for others to mirror off of. Yes, prior to the iPhone all other phones had a keyboard and small non-touch screen, and there wasn't much innovation at all during that time until Apple introduced the iPhone, and all others followed. They did provide a web browsing experience that wasn't "watered-down." I'll never forget the first time I opened a website and the difference in it between my then Cingular flip phone. 

Stereotypical PC guy. I haven't heard that one yet, but as mentioned in my other post, I own a Macbook Pro 15" that I'm absolutely in love with, and I'll never go back to PC. You mention specs and how your "stereotypical PC guy" is only focused on the specs it comes with and not the function. I upgraded my RAM to 8GB and my harddrive to a SSD, but that's so my laptop continues to run smoothly while operating intense programs such as Photoshop and Lightroom. 

I'm assuming by your last sentence you claim I have little understanding of technology and no regard for liberal arts or design, but that is far from the truth. I believe in function over form, but the iPhone delivers both for me. Compared to my S4, I grab my iPhone nine out of ten times to do things related to productivity and general work, regardless of the smaller screen. Why? Because it just seems to work better. It's hard to explain, but I use my iPhone if I want to get things done, and my Android for things like games/social media where a larger screen is more important. I'm sure you can relate to that as well, but the functionally of iOS is there, for both mobile and desktop. 

Everything you just wrote contradicts the tone of everything you've ever posted on this forum, lol. As you noticed, I did look up your comment history, and everything you've posted has been a snide remark against Apple or in defense of Android. 

Are you trolling for shits and giggles?

• Reply 103 of 172
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Die Samesung Die.

After iPhone 6 it will get worst.
  • Reply 104 of 172
    Samsung should stick to just making components and TV's. I have one thing in my house made by Samsung and that's my 10 year old microwave. I have to give them kudos on their kitchen appliances.
  • Reply 105 of 172
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mostcallmerob View Post

You guys speak of innovation and Apple, but honestly, what innovation have they supplied to the smartphone market? They keep making their phones slimmer, upgrading internals with better chips, increasing screen resolution, and now following Samsung, they are finally increasing their screen size to something respectable. You think that innovation is slimming down and making a screen bigger, big whoop. 

Either you think we are ignorant, or you are.  Because you left out some of the real innovative stuff that happened with iPhone hardware over the last year or so, and even Sammy with all of their resources can't match them.  Go figure it out and then come back with tail between legs.

• Reply 106 of 172
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ash471 wrote: »
    What makes Samsung good business people is that they recognized there wasn't time to develop a platform from scratch.  Wholesale copying was the only chance they had.  I'm not condoning the copying.  I'm just saying that Samsung is a better-run company than Microsoft, Blackberry, Nokia, etc, because Samsung recognized the path to success.  And it wasn't just because Samdung has a culture of copying and companies like Microsoft don't.  Quite the contrary, Microsoft has a history of copying and anti-competition.  No, I think Microsoft took a different approach because MS thought it could do a better job.  MS has this delusional belief that it has a successful brand when in reality it has a successful monopoly.  If anything, MS's brand has negative value.      

I agree with you say, especially about Microsoft. Their attempts at being original for the first time in their history has been a complete failure. Microsoft is a company about not to be here if they are not careful. The rest already left.
  • Reply 107 of 172
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

You forgot the /sarcasm tag.

Thank you for reading between the lines. 

Actually, I forgot the /sarcasm tag.

Just chill a bit, while you're at it.
  • Reply 108 of 172
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Samsung's pain will grow when Apple's healthy numbers come out for the latest quarter.

Agreed. I have to think they are having a very serious rethink about their strategy going forward. It's not too late for them to change. It's not as if, other than Apple, they have any competition.
  • Reply 109 of 172
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,253member
    You guys speak of innovation and Apple, but honestly, what innovation have they supplied to the smartphone market? They keep making their phones slimmer, upgrading internals with better chips, increasing screen resolution, and now following Samsung, they are finally increasing their screen size to something respectable. You think that innovation is slimming down and making a screen bigger, big whoop. 

64-bit chip, co-processor for gyro data, a fingerprint scanner that actually works, super smooth and fluid UI, etc...to name a few.
  • Reply 110 of 172
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    andysol wrote: »
    You didn't answer my question at all.  I said name a single company that has released 3 revolutionary products in the last 15 years.  I didn't say name revolutionary things- that would be ludicrous.  I said name a company.  Which, of course, you can't do.

Apple is the innovator the past decade and a half.  Particularly in the technology field.  Period.

You're the clown that came in here touting that Apple doesn't innovate anything.  So when you come in here with that douchebag attitude, don't expect to kindly be responded to.  Douchebags will be responded to like douchebags should be responded to.

He/she is going to dodge the question of specifics, or make some sloppy generalizations. Nothing more. A classic case of starting with their conclusion and then cherry picking "evidence" to support it while ignoring the rest.
  • Reply 111 of 172
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member
    <p>You guys speak of innovation and Apple, but honestly, what innovation have they supplied to the smartphone market? They keep making their phones slimmer, upgrading internals with better chips, increasing screen resolution, and now following Samsung, they are finally increasing their screen size to something respectable. You think that innovation is slimming down and making a screen bigger, big whoop. </p>

they were the first to create products that looked great and work greet for me. Which is as good an innovation as any.

When I was looking for a way to control the smart board in my classroom wirelessly in 2012, only the Apple TV presented itself as a viable alternative. It was easy to setup and figure out, and remains one of the more reliable means of doing so, which I feel is impressive considering it hasn't been updated in 2 years.

I moved to a Mac in 2011 and haven't looked back since. Apple products represent integrated solutions which "just work" for me, and have more than paid for themselves in the form of improved productivity and fewer headaches.

If apple isn't innovating, then nobody else in the smartphone, tablet or computing industry is innovating, IMO.
  • Reply 112 of 172
    bobbyfozzbobbyfozz Posts: 97member

In my post #3 some idiot replied that what I wrote was a rant without details. Of course it was a rant, it just was a short one. Samsung's dishonesty is catching up with Samsung. Do I need proof? This is what happens in business when you are disingenuous for too long of a period of time. Samsung is trying to outspend it's competitors, leak (ha) false information, and despite all the money spent, it isn't working but they think if they pump more coal in the furnace it HAS to work. Apple Insider doesn't NOT require "rants" to be missing from this website, we are expressing our displeasure where as you want to concentrate, like some others do, on spelling grammar, and rants. Elementary school is over bud!

• Reply 113 of 172
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    You guys speak of innovation and Apple, but honestly, what innovation have they supplied to the smartphone market?

The use of an intuitive, fluidly responsive multitouch UI designed to be used without a stylus. This revolutionized all smartphones. Competitors had to copy it or see their marketshare decline. Blackberry and Nokia still picking up the pieces of their former businesses. Palm already died. Windows Mobile saw their marketshare collapse.
  • Reply 114 of 172
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    With Sapphire iPhone 6 people will know which phone is truly premium
  • Reply 115 of 172
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    You sir, should probably shut up and go away. Having 33,000 posts in less than four years is disgusting. That's a rough average of 23 a day, do you have a life? Let me answer that for you. No, you don't, you sit on your computer all day posting on a forum dedicated to Apple. Get out of your "coma" and go outside. 

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic troll. You have no argument. Every single word you have said has been disproven. Nothing you say is even remotely correct. You have absolutely no right to continue posting whatsoever. It is not your opinion. Trolling is not an opinion.
    I don't find them innovative. 

Good for you. You're completely and utterly wrong.
  • Reply 116 of 172
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Sounds easy on paper, but I think Tizen would be a disaster.  Samsung customers are like Microsoft customers.  They didn't care about performance to begin with, which is why they chose Samsung (or Microsoft) in the first place.  Once they learned how to use their shitty software, the worst thing you can do to them is make them learn new shitty software.  Look at Microsoft XP customers. MS can't get them to upgrade over a decade later. Every new MS OS release is followed by years of bitching.  While quality shares part of the blame, a big part of it is the customers. Think about it, if the Samdung customers were smart enough or wealthy enough to select good software, they wouldn't be using Samdung or MS in the first place.  The galaxy S owners over the age of 50 are the one exception. They need the bigger screen to avoid using reading glasses.     

Also, Samsung just tried Tizen on some of its watches and it didn't go well.  They are now going to release watches for Android.  If Samsung experiments with Tizen on the Galaxy S phones, I think it will be very short lived.

I am going to go ahead and guess you have little experience actually using android, let alone a galaxy s5.  there are some really nice things one can do with android and on the samsung s5. And let's face it- neither of us know much about how great Tizen can be, as i doubt you touched the watch that had the software. A watch is not a good identifier of how the software would be on a phone. The best thing Samsung could do it to distance itself from android.

How great was iOS on the iPod shuffle? How well did that sell? Let's not pretend that Apple has never had a flop. Great company? No doubts, innovative and pushing hard for the future, i love every Apple product i have ever bought. But you cannot presume to know about Tizen and Samsung's choices regarding the software because no one bought the watch it was on- nearly no one bought the iOS laden iPod shuffle with a screen, and so Apple changed it back.  

There are probably more power users on android than there is iOS, because android lets you roll up your sleeves and do some extra. 

And microsoft is not even in the same league when it comes to the smartphone sphere, they should not have been brought up in the first place. The performance on the S5 is better than any other android crap i have ever messed around with.  

• Reply 117 of 172
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

no samsung products

they steal ip   look at their dyson look alike

they are bullies and don't innovate  

when my samsung washer dryer goes  i'll replace with whirlpool

its the same reason i don't steal music, movies etc    the creator needs to be  rewarded for creating

samsung the thief

• Reply 118 of 172
    I got IPhone 4 it is 3 years old it takes less time too charge than my S3 which is iPod now and it is little over year old it takes 61/2 hours to charge from 0% to 100% my HTC ONE is four months old it takes 51/2 hours to charge from 0% to 100% now my iPhone 4 which is iPod now takes two hours to charge from 0% to 100% the very worse app in all three is Google Plus it freezes then crashes on the S3 Google will crash when I am in Facebook even when I am in my Photo Gallery the S3 lousy on apps but it does have lot bell and whistles for photos which Apple does not have only problem Apple have is on the apps when they update on third party apps they do not work all the time or they do not work at all plus you can not get help to fix those apps from the third party apps not even Apple will help you I found out they will not fix them only the third-party app company can
  • Reply 119 of 172
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Samsung is not good in business.

They got lucky.  Flat out.  They stumbled upon making GIAGANTIC screens and the market ate it up.  There would always be a huge market for Android phones because of price.  Samsung was just the lucky one.  It will only go down hill from now on.  Profits are down 25% and top end unit sales are down 35%.  Soon they will need to cut marketing and that will lessen sales even more.  The Chinese companies will destroy Samsung's mid-range phones and they will be forced to cut prices even more.

Can you say Nokia 2.0?
    No, Samsung just has no growth path.

Eventually they run out of places to expand into, and without offering something better than the competitor, what did they expect? Apple is the innovator. Samsung is not. Google is not.

Google was originally trying to copy the Blackberry, before the blackberry tanked because everyone was switching the much nicer better iPhone. So all existing Android devices are this ugly middle ground of crappy low/mid-tier device with crappy development tools. Add into fact that the Android platform is also heavily pirated, and you have this perfect storm of nobody wants to use the device, nobody wants to develop for the device, and nobody cares enough to update the device into something that is "better" than the iPhone.

Samsung needs to ultimately dump Android if they want to offer anything compelling to switch from the iOS ecosystem. They won't succeed because they are not invested in doing that. Tizen might offer Samsung an out, but I think unless Samsung starts marketing the Tizen devices as higher tier devices than the Android devices (which I doubt) it's just going to add more fragmentation to Samsung's product line, and I doubt it will convince iOS developers/users to switch either.
  • Reply 120 of 172
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Agreed. It's pretty widely known that the phone 6 will have some large screen options, and that's the reason many Sam sung owners bought their phones anyway. Give them a choice to get a modern, fresh OS, amazing hardware crafted by Ive & Co, and a large screen? They'll be lining up around the globe.

iOS is defiantly fastly becoming an OS that I can finally embrace. I'm however still waiting for a proper file manager that I can use to not only logon to all of my Cloud storage from a single app but my NAS and local data as well. I use a file manager as my starting point when I use devices like my Nexus 10, instead of going to a specific application to open up a file I go to the actually file itself and then select the app that I want to use to open and manipulate. When I open up a file from my File Manager, ES File Explorer, whatever program I use it will save that file to whatever location in which the file was originally opened up from as Cloud storage is mounted locally.  This way of handling files is head over heals better then anything that I can do in iOS. However It looks like iOS 8 just actually might make my dreams come true.

Now that there are third party keyboards as well I am also hoping that we can finally choose a default browser other than Safari. Yes, Safari is an okay browser but I've found when dealing with many online apps, like my favorite IDE's, Chrome or Opera works better, in some cases Safari can't even display them. I would also like to see Apple allowing other web browsers that don't utilize webkit. I really enjoy using my iPad because of the many wonderful music apps and the buttery smoothness of the OS, but I never fully embraced iOS as my de facto mobile OS do to some of my favorite features found in other OS's and hardware being absent. Things like being able to see my full user directory when the device is connected to a computer, there is actually no reason or good excuse for this and I'm sure this has everything to do with Apple aggressively pushing iTunes as the sole outlet for managing ones media, specifically purchases. Whatever the reason is, using an MP3 player to sync music and movies is not my idea of intuitive. Multitasking has gotten much better over the years but it's time that Apple extend it's support for apps running in the background, which also means, hopefully, more RAM, as 1GB is just plain cheap of Apple. I also hope the multi-app spit screen view becomes a reality as it's a fantastic option, one of the reasons why I like Windows 8, but this feature is more geared towards the iPad and not really needed on a phone.

Talking about phones and the reason for this post, features that I would defiantly want before considering an iPhone is;

• DLNA (I love this technology, it has always worked perfectly on every device that I've owned that included it), on my Nokia 1020 for instance, all I have to do is start up OneDrive, select a movie and push it to my TV as the output, takes all of a minute to do, I probably use it at least once a day. Trying to do this with an iPhone or iPad without an Apple TV, HDMI dongle or some other device that supports AirPlay is well impossible. DLNA is available on almost every mid to top tier TV and I always make sure that all of my TV's have it before purchasing a new one. Talking about dongles I suggest everyone grab a Smart Stick, it's a tiny device that supports, DLNA, MiraCast and Airplay, costs only 30 bucks and is perfect for traveling or extending your homes media center i can actually live without this feature but I really don't want too.

•  NFC, say what you want about it but I really like using this tech, I have 5 little Nokia Play 360° (if anyone is looking for a wonderful little portable speaker, look no further these little guys are just great, not only do they sound fantastic but the battery lasts about 21 hours, yep you read that correctly) speakers through out the house, and a Nokia MD-100W (which is also a wireless charging station) on my nightstand, when I'm listening to a podcast in my bedroom and then decide to raid the refrigerator in the kitchen because I have a whole plate of pot brownies (actually prescribed from my doctor) all I have to do is touch these little guys with my Nokia 1020 and it will start playing. Also sharing files between 2 devices by touching them is extremely useful, yes there are a hundred different ways to do this without NFC but not as intuitive or fast. When traveling on a train I can pay using SBB's app by tapping on the conductors handheld when he passes by, the conductor doesn't even have to start up anything, takes all of 5 seconds, yes again there other options for none NFC phones, the SBB app can also show a barcode in which the conductor scans with his handheld to process the transaction but this method takes a little longer and the handheld doesn't always register the barcode on the first swipe, okay, it works but defiantly not as cool. Not only SBB but Post Finance, UBS, Credit Suisse, (Zuger, Zurich, Luzern, etc.)  Kantonalbanks all have NFC enabled payment apps that can be used at most Kiosks, Coop, Migros grocery stores, restaurants, kinos, Taxis, etc., I really like this service and more and more establishments are supporting this payment type. Swiss really don't use credit cards, mostly debit cards and cash, in fact it's a common site to see someone using a 1,000 CHF (1,110 USD) note to pay for something as simple as a soda, so using a phone as a debit card is something we embraced pretty quickly.

• Wireless charging, this is a great way to charge a device regardless of all of the negative comments I have read on this board to the contrary, I have a Nokia pillow, the aforementioned Nokia speaker, a Nokia charging plate mounted underneath the middle console of my car and have been waiting impatiently for my EverPurse ClutchSo I have not only embraced this super cool tech but have invested heavily in it and I don't think I could own another phone without it so hopefully Apple embraces it in the iPhone 6.

• LTE-A, I like me some fast Internet but until the iPhone supports LTE-A my current 150 Mbit contract would just go to waste.

• Image stabilization, I love the camera on my Nokia 1020 there just isn't any comparison except maybe for the camera in the Nokia 801, it's beyond great, Now I don't expect Apple to use a similar sensor but what I do want is image stabilization, especially for taking videos,anyone who's seen a side by side comparison of a phone with and without it would immediately wonder how they lived without this feature.

• Stronger build quality, that's as far as I'm going to go into that before I'm taking outside and shot with acid soaked bullets through a Nerf gun.

I commented to your post because you sounded pretty sure that all it would take is for Apple to increase the screen size of the iPhone and Samsung users will line up to replace their phones. Now I'm not a Samsung user but I'm sure it would take a little more then that, especially if the person was used to having some of the features that I listed above, specifically a file manager. I am currently extremely happy with my Nokia 1020, especially now with Windows 8.1 and  my Nexus 5, though my Nexus 5 is more of a toy and learning tool (app programming). Until such time that Apple includes the missing features that I want I will continue to use what makes me happy. Not to say that there is anything wrong with the iPhone as millions of users are very happy with them. As they should be, the iPhone offers most people everything that they could possibly ever want from a phone. Also please don't take offense to anything that I wrote above. I know a lot of you have this certain agape love for Apple and it's products and the very thought of someone being negative towards Apple infuriates. Though I am not as passionate for inanimate objects or the company's that produce them I have always been a big fan of Nokia phones none the less. Thankfully I also like Window's 8.1 mobile, especially the phone that runs it. It's different and works very well for me, which in an endless sea of iPhone's and Android phones is something hard to find. It used to be cool to own an iPhone as we were part of a small elite group but now that every Joe Smoe has one and the iPhone users are the majority, it's just not the case anymore. It also seems the hatred towards none iPhone users has increased, where the attitude and slogan was once a simple Think Different, has now been replaced with join us or die. Whatever phone someone uses, regardless if it's an Android phone they should never be judged on the electronics that they use.