Apple's iTunes U update brings new discussion features for students, course creation tools for teach

Posted:
in iPad edited July 2014
As expected, Apple on tuesday released a major update to its iTunes U comprehensive educational software, bringing new discussion options for students and iPad creation tools for teachers.

Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue announced today's iTunes U update in June, saying at the time that version 2.0 would bring a new level of integration and personalization to the company's iPad in education.

"Education is at the core of Apple's DNA and iTunes U is an incredibly valuable resource for teachers and students," Cue said."iTunes U features an amazing selection of academic materials for everyone around the world. Now, with the ability to better manage and discuss educational content, learning becomes even more personalized on iPad."

With the new app version, students participating in private courses can ask questions, answer queries posed by other students and jump into ongoing discussions. Push notifications keep both students and teachers up to date with the latest posts.

Teachers can now create and update courses, send out course outlines, upload materials and distribute assignments directly from their iPad.

In addition, teachers can not tap into the iPad's camera to take photos or video for inclusion in course assignments. Support for Apple's productivity suite comes built-in with a new iTunes U share sheet option that sends over content from Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Content from third-party apps can also be shared with iTunes U if supported.

Finally, teachers affiliated with "qualified institutions" can publish their created courses to the iTunes U Catalog, a free resource for educators.

iTunes U version 2.0 is available as a free 22.4MB download from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Wasn't Coca-Cola the company that aimed their marketing at people upto 18 years old? And in doing so, once hooked, they'd have them 'for life'?

Seems to me Apple is doing just that; creating an incentive for youngsters to appreciate Apple products and services so they will continue to use them once out of college.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Wasn't Coca-Cola the company that aimed their marketing at people upto 18 years old? And in doing so, once hooked, they'd have them 'for life'?

Seems to me Apple is doing just that; creating an incentive for youngsters to appreciate Apple products and services so they will continue to use them once out of college.

Yea something like that.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/avidan/2013/10/07/just-how-does-coca-cola-reinvent-itself-in-a-changed-world/

This paragraph stood out in particular.
    Part of Coke’s engagement strategy, he explains, is to move away from being a brand that promotes happiness, to a brand that provokes happiness.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    ^ post

Wow, insightful article! Thanks much.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    "In addition, teachers can not tap into the iPad's camera%u2026"

Did you mean "can now tap"?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I remember the bad old days when parents stormed into school board meetings demanding that their children be taught to use ‘REAL’ computers instead of Apple products. If the board was even considering Apple this was the response they heard. I also remember one particular father in our group on parent orientation day at the University of Illinois at Champaign/Urbana (where Andreessen invented Mosaic) We walked into the freshman computer science lab and there were Macs all over the place, wall-to-wall Macs. The look of befuddlement on that guy’s face was priceless. He could not believe his eyes. Why would a university famous for its National Center for Supercomputing Applications and its computer engineering program (which his son was entering) not have ‘REAL’ computers instead of Apple? His son wound up demanding a Mac laptop.

• Reply 6 of 14
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

At the biggest university in my state the Freshman are given iPads as part of enrollment.  Of course their tuition fees are paying for it, but it's "free".  The first one's always free, right?  ;)

Phillip Morris and McDonald's have also been known to target kids in the hopes of hooking them for life.  It's a popular strategy for many corporations.

• Reply 7 of 14
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

Another killer App for iOS.  Especially for the iPad.

A big incentive for schools to chose the iPad.

• Reply 8 of 14
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Soft drink, fast food, and junk food companies do aim at young people. Same with tobacco companies (like the Joe Camel marketing drive) and electronic cigarette companies.

However, this is a slightly different situation. Apple is trying to persuade colleges and universities that their solution is the best. It's the university that will say, "hey students, you need to buy an iPad" (or "tuition fees include the iPad as undergraduate/graduate studies equipment"). Apple is trying to influence the people who create the course curriculum, not the consumers (students).

It's really a continuation of the Apple ecosystem immersion. Apple really wants kids to enjoy iPods, etc. as teens, then continue to use those devices, Macs, iPhones throughout secondary school. Note that there is no credible competitor to the iPod touch at this time (which Steve Jobs referred to as "training wheels for the iPhone").

Apple is working top down with iTunes U, trying to get schools to make iDevice ownership required equipment. Make it easier for the content creators.

• Reply 9 of 14

You're welcome. The world, especially the tech world would be a much better place if everyone followed this advice.
    Dare to try big ideas, and if they fail, try another one. Eventually, you will prevail.

I just may put that as my signature.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    "In addition, teachers can not tap into the iPad's camera%u2026"

Did you mean "can now tap"?

Expect many more of these typos. Also errors in calculations. And then there are the many many, many flaws when the copy stuff over from Quiller Media, Inc (main website) to Huddler Lifestyle (forums) like repeating paragraphs, videos get chopped of and "In addition, "%u2026" instead of an apostrophe.

Welcome to the forum.
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I remember the bad old days when parents stormed into school board meetings demanding that their children be taught to use ‘REAL’ computers instead of Apple products. If the board was even considering Apple this was the response they heard. I also remember one particular father in our group on parent orientation day at the University of Illinois at Champaign/Urbana (where Andreessen invented Mosaic) We walked into the freshman computer science lab and there were Macs all over the place, wall-to-wall Macs. The look of befuddlement on that guy’s face was priceless. He could not believe his eyes. Why would a university famous for its National Center for Supercomputing Applications and its computer engineering program (which his son was entering) not have ‘REAL’ computers instead of Apple? His son wound up demanding a Mac laptop.

So many times things look funny, in hindsight.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    lkrupp wrote: »

I guess these days, he would wind up asking for an iWatch. ????
  • Reply 12 of 14

You're welcome. The world, especially the tech world would be a much better place if everyone followed this advice.
    Dare to try big ideas, and if they fail, try another one. Eventually, you will prevail.

I just may put that as my signature.

Good quote; I would modify it thus:

Dare to try big ideas, and if they fail, try another one. Eventually, you will or will not prevail, one way or the other.
  • Reply 13 of 14

Dare to try big ideas, and if they fail, try another one. Eventually, you will or will not prevail, one way or the other.

You're ever the optimist.
  • Reply 14 of 14

You're ever the optimist.

I try not to go overboard with my exuberance.