Apple's second secret eBay store launches with certified refurbished, unlocked GSM iPhone ...

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2022
For the second time in as many years, Apple appears to have teamed with eBay on a low-profile Factory Outlet store to market Apple Certified Refurbished products -- such as iPhones and iPads -- alongside full one-year Apple warranties at aggressive price points.

The eBay.com store front, discovered by AppleInsider over the weekend (1, 2, 3 -- thanks, Max), is dubbed the "Factory Outlet eBay Store" and currently lists about half dozen factory restored and unlocked GSM iPhone 5 models for between $449 and $499.

Although there's no direct language on the eBay storefront to suggest Apple's involvement, it displays many of the hallmarks of the iPhone maker's earlier partnership with eBay to sell refurbished iPads. In particular, the "Apple Certified" iPhone 5s currently on sale are billed as being "exclusive" to the eBay Factory store, they each come with a full one-year Apple Warranty, and they each have been completely restored, burn-in tested and professionally repackaged with a "final quality inspection performed by Apple."

Current Factory Outlet eBay Store Listings:
64GB White iPhone 5 (Factory Unlocked for GSM) for $499 $350 off MSRP at eBay.com
64GB Black iPhone 5 (Factory Unlocked for GSM) for $499 $350 off MSRP at eBay.com
32GB White iPhone 5 (Factory Unlocked for GSM) for $479 $270 off MSRP at eBay.com
32GB Black iPhone 5 (Factory Unlocked for GSM) for $479 $270 off MSRP at eBay.com
16GB White iPhone 5 (Factory Unlocked for GSM) for $449 $200 off MSRP at eBay.com
16GB Black iPhone 5 (Factory Unlocked for GSM) for $449 $200 off MSRP at eBay.com

The move is likely an effort on Apple's part to diversify its inventory distribution of existing devices in the months leading up to this Septembers annual iOS device product launches. Apple made a similar move back in March of last year when it launched a Apple Certified Refurbished Products Store that sold refurbished iPads at $100 less than on Apple's own online store.

All traces of that original storefront ultimately disappeared from eBay before the 2013 iPad launches. AppleInsider later learned that the effort was part of a 3-month pilot program that Apple chose not to renew. Thus far, this year's store has only listed Apple Certified refurbished iPhone 5 models. AppleInsider will be tracking the store's listings in its Price Guides (under the Certified Refurb & Closeouts tab) and on its Deals site.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    These are iPhone 5, not 5s.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

These are iPhone 5, not 5s.

That's what the article says. 5s as in multiple models, not 5S as in the latest model. We will try and further clarify the title. Thanks. 

• Reply 3 of 32

Ships from Georgia... Looks like Californians may even be able to skip paying the sales tax, too. Of course, they will make sure to report the purchase on their CA tax return later.

At these prices, I'm not sure why anybody would buy the 16GB or 32GB model, the price difference with the 64GB is really not much.

• Reply 4 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

That's what the article says. 5s as in multiple models, not 5S as in the latest model. We will try and further clarify the title. Thanks. 

The phone after the 5 has a small s not a capital S. It's 5's not 5s. I'm assuming it has been altered since we commented.

• Reply 5 of 32
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

The phone after the 5 has a small s not a capital S. It's 5's not 5s. I'm assuming it has been altered since we commented.

Right and wrong. The s is lower case in the model number, but 5's is possessive, not plural. Referring to multiple iPhone 5 units as "iPhone 5s," despite being confusing, is correct.

• Reply 6 of 32
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

[...]The move is likely an effort on Apple's part to diversify its inventory distribution of existing devices in the months leading up to this Septembers annual iOS device product launches.[...]

Read:  The iPhone 5 inventory needs to be reduced, as supply exceeds projected demand.

Apple doesn't even sell the 5.  This is just it's AppleCare/Repair Depot inventory. My guess this time next year, if you bring in a 5 for repair under warranty, you'll get a 5s.

It sort of begs the question of what will be retained as the low end iPhone in September/October..   5s (all phones sold will be TouchID), or 5c (lower cost/high margin).

At this point, I think buying a device without a TouchID has to be a very tactical purchase.

• Reply 7 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

Ships from Georgia... Looks like Californians may even be able to skip paying the sales tax, too. Of course, they will make sure to report the purchase on their CA tax return later.

At these prices, I'm not sure why anybody would buy the 16GB or 32GB model, the price difference with the 64GB is really not much.

Nope. It doesn't matter where it's shipped. If the company presents in California, we have to pay tax. All new iPhones are shipped from China...but tax's still applied.

• Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Nope. It doesn't matter where it's shipped. If the company presents in California, we have to pay tax. All new iPhones are shipped from China...but tax's still applied.

But if it's sold by a third party company, which it is, and that company has no business nexus in California, they don't have to collect tax.

It has nothing to do with where the product ships from, but which business is doing the transaction.

You still have to pay tax, though. It's just not collected by the seller on Sacramento's behalf.

• Reply 9 of 32
    All prices I see are always "points", so let's drop the points part of "price points" and just say "price".

That way the header could read "alongside full one-year Apple warranties at aggressive prices". Sounds way better to my ear.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    kasper wrote: »

iPhones 5 would be a less confusing plural.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Yes, they're refurbished and guaranteed by Apple, but they're about twice what a used iPhone 5 is going for where I live. Used prices will drop even more when the iPhone 6 comes out.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Yes, they're refurbished and guaranteed by Apple, but they're about twice what a used iPhone 5 is going for where I live. Used prices will drop even more when the iPhone 6 comes out.

A used LOCKED iPhone 5 64GB goes for $350/$385 (less for Sprint or Virgin phones because they're not unlockable). a used UNLOCKED iPhone 5 64GB goes for $500 (check out Craigslist and ebay). So, these are great prices for what is essentially a brand new phone with a full 1 year warranty. However, the prices for the lesser models are much less interesting.

• Reply 13 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Right and wrong. The s is lower case in the model number, but 5's is possessive, not plural. Referring to multiple iPhone 5 units as "iPhone 5s," despite being confusing, is correct.

You can add an apostrophe to prevent this exact issue from occurring.

From the New Oxford American Dictionary 3rd edition: "usage: 1) An apostrophe may be used to form the plural of letters (r's) and numbers (7's), as well as single words referred to themselves (four the's in one sentence)."
  • Reply 14 of 32
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Read:  The iPhone 5 inventory needs to be reduced, as supply exceeds projected demand.

Apple doesn't even sell the 5.  This is just it's AppleCare/Repair Depot inventory. My guess this time next year, if you bring in a 5 for repair under warranty, you'll get a 5s.

It sort of begs the question of what will be retained as the low end iPhone in September/October..   5s (all phones sold will be TouchID), or 5c (lower cost/high margin).

At this point, I think buying a device without a TouchID has to be a very tactical purchase.

Yes, the iPhone 5 isn't a currently sold iPhone. These are returns.  The 5C now has the 5 inside a plastic case.

Nope I expect a returned 5 may get you a 5C.

Unfortunately the bottom end after the iPhone6 comes out, will likely be a very storage limited (useless) 8GB iPhone 5C.

TouchID is nice, but not necessary for me. The logon password is adaquate for my iPhone, which doesn't contain any sensitive data.

IMO it's a great deal, if you don't mind a used iPhone. The deal becomes even better as you go to 32GB and 64GB.

• Reply 15 of 32
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You can add an apostrophe to prevent this exact issue from occurring.

From the New Oxford American Dictionary 3rd edition: "usage: 1) An apostrophe may be used to form the plural of letters (r's) and numbers (7's), as well as single words referred to themselves (four the's in one sentence)."

Thank you! I didn't know that. My apologies to @Ireland. I stand corrected.

• Reply 16 of 32
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    I would like a 64GB Black iPhone 5 (Factory Unlocked for GSM) for $499. Out of stock! Wonder if they will selling more tomorrow?
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

I would like a 64GB Black iPhone 5 (Factory Unlocked for GSM) for $499. Out of stock! Wonder if they will selling more tomorrow?

Computer says... YES!

• Reply 18 of 32
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member

Omg everything is already out of stock. I just paid 15mn ago for what remained (black 16go) but the transaction doesn't show up on paypal website, i dont see anything on my item purchased ebay profile. No email either. Will I get it or am I too late?

• Reply 19 of 32
    lambertlambert Posts: 1member
    Just looked up the store and they are not listing anything. did they sell out?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member

Thought about it and was tempted to buy it but for another $400 more, I get a new iPhone 6 with A8, AC, LTE 6, improved touch ID, bigger screen size, etc....  It worth for me to shell out the $900 to get the iPhone 6.   The iPhone 5 is two years old and the new form factor is more attractive to me anyways.