At Sun Valley retreat, Tim Cook tells reporter to upgrade her Samsung phone

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
Apple's chief executive Tim Cook quipped to a journalist that she should "get a new phone" as she posed questions during the exclusive gathering of tech and media executives at Sun Valley, Idaho.

Apple CEO @tim_cook talks to @Jessicalessin (bottom right), tells another reporter using @Samsung: 'get a new phone' pic.twitter.com/woBcicHtaB

-- Amir Efrati (@amir)

The annual Sun Valley event, which has been held by investment bank Allen & Co. since 1983, brings together executives to discuss industry issues and talk deals. It was reportedly the birthplace of Comcast's 2011 acquisition of NBC Universal, for example.

Hoping to get a scoop on the next big deal, reporters are swarming the event, where Cook has been joined by Apple's head of iTunes and Internet service Eddy Cue, as Amazon chief Jeff Bezos, Google chairman Eric Schmidt, News Corp chief Rupert Murdoch and lots of other billionaires including Warren Buffett, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg.

Bloomberg's "Hollywood reporter" Anousha Sakoui tweeted "Ok Apple's Tim cook just told me to upgrade my phone. It's a Samsung. I don't think I redeemed myself by saying I also had an iPhone," followed later by, "For the record Tim Cook is one of the nicest people I've met."

Ok Apple's Tim cook just told me to upgrade my phone. It's a Samsung. I dont think I redeemed myself by saying I also had an iPhone

-- Anousha (@anoushasakoui)

Getting more than upgrade advice out of the events attendees proved to be a much more difficult task. New York Post reporter Kaja Whitehouse tweeted, "Asked Harvey Weinstein to talk about his plans to sell his TV division. "You know we're under seal here," he replied. #sunvalley blues."

She did get a paparazzi photo of Apple's Cook walking in with Cue, however.

The belles of the #sunvalley ball. @tim_cook walks in with Eddy Cue. I took this photo with my iPad pic.twitter.com/YDF0oFOJ0S

-- Kaja Whitehouse (@kajawhitehouse)

Wall Street Journal reporter Doug MacMillan tweeted out a picture of Cook being "chased" by CNN Money correspondent Cristina Alesci, noting "no watch on that wrist." The photo was retweeted by Wall Street Journal writer Daisuke Wakabayashi and Re/Code editor Arik Hesseldahl.

And then Tim Cook appears, prompting @CristinaAlesci to give chase. No watch on that wrist #SunValley pic.twitter.com/SBcsZ4bd28

-- Doug MacMillan (@dmac1)

BusinessInsider's Jay Yarrow also cited the tweet in an all caps update, "TIM COOK IS AT SUN VALLEY," which prompted journalist Jason Del Rey of Re/Code to add "AND HIS BICEPS LOOK GREAT."

Invited attendees have also been warned about drones in the air trying to snoop out a story, according to a report by Bloomberg.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The belles of the #sunvalley ball. @tim_cook walks in with Eddy Cue. I took this photo with my iPad pic.twitter.com/YDF0oFOJ0S

-- Kaja Whitehouse (@kajawhitehouse)

When will people realize that their iPhone camera is significantly better than their iPad camera?

Forget the fact you look like a douche parent at a dance recital...

• Reply 2 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ok Apple's Tim cook just told me to upgrade my phone. It's a Samsung. I dont think I redeemed myself by saying I also had an iPhone

-- Anousha (@anoushasakoui)

Then you should have also told Tim Cook you keep that Samcrap phone to remind you of how bad it is on the other side of the smartphone spectrum.

• Reply 3 of 58
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

When will people realize that their iPhone camera is significantly better than their iPad camera?

Oh, don't be a snob, there's nothing wrong with using an iPad to take a video, for one it's much easier to edit your videos with iMovie and then upload them to the web. Since videos are shrunked down most of time anyway the 5MP camera is more then acceptable.

• Reply 4 of 58
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    relic wrote: »
    Oh, don't be a snob, there's nothing wrong with using an iPad to take a video, for one it's much easier to edit your videos with iMovie and then upload them to the web. Since videos are shrunked down most of time anyway the 5MP camera is more then acceptable.

Correct, easier to edit, and if it's the one you have in your hand at a good moment, well then . . . who cares what you look like? You got the shot.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Sorry, but as much as I love iPad's, I look down upon people who try to use it as a Point-and-Shoot camera, as it makes them look like total tools. If the iPad is mounted in a pro mount and used for video capture, it at least looks more at place for that role.

I really wish Apple would eliminate the rear camera from iPad's. And as Andysol pointed out, the iPhone 5C/S camera is far superior, and far more pocketable / portable, so no reason to use an inferior product for such an important event.

• Reply 6 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Then you should have also told Tim Cook you keep that Samcrap phone to remind you of how bad it is on the other side of the smartphone spectrum.

Nah, I would have had some fun with it by politely saying I was waiting for the expiration of my contract so I could upgrade to the new Samsung S5 and then continue by saying how intuitive Samsung was for inventing things like the built-in thumb reader and then ask if Apple will come out with a similar solution. Then sit back and watch Tim have a conniption fit, would have made a better story then just simply telling Mr. Cook, oh, I also have an iPhone, if your going to lie go all in.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Nah, I would have had some fun with it by politely saying I was waiting for the expiration of my contract so I could upgrade to the new Samsung S5 and then continue by saying how intuitive Samsung was for inventing things like the built-in thumb reader and then ask if Apple will come out with a similar solution. Then sit back and watch Tim have a conniption fit, would have made a better story then just simply telling Mr. Cook, oh, I also have an iPhone, if your going to lie go all in.

Sorry, but Tim Cook didn't get to be CEO of the world's best company by being stupid. Had you said that, he'd have just scuffed you off and walked away, as I would've done.

• Reply 8 of 58
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    andysol wrote: »

As a person who does videography for dance recitals... I agree wholeheartedly!

Luckily... no one is allowed to video at my recitals on recital day... but they can stand up front and video during rehearsal days.

On a side note... I've seen many people record video at a dance competitions. The nice thing is that you can watch it immediately on the iPad on the larger screen. I'll give those people a pass :)

But they still look kinda silly :D
  • Reply 9 of 58
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

I think that Apple should have equal cameras in the top iPhone model and the top iPad model.

I also don't see any problems with taking a picture with an iPad, if it had an equally as good camera. The screen is much, much bigger and is more enjoyable and easier to frame a good picture with.

• Reply 10 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Sorry, but as much as I love iPad's, I look down upon people who try to use it as a Point-and-Shoot camera, as it makes them look like total tools. If the iPad is mounted in a pro mount and used for video capture, it at least looks more at place for that role.

I really wish Apple would eliminate the rear camera from iPad's. And as Andysol pointed out, the iPhone 5C/S camera is far superior, and far more pocketable / portable, so no reason to use an inferior product for such an important event.

The artists paint brush is just the tool that's used to save ones imaginative ideas onto a format that they can share with others. The iPad, though not as powerful as say an iPhone or as compact, is still more then capable of producing incredible memories, art, entertainment, whatever ones imagination can think of. No one cares if they look like a tool when using an iPad to take videos and why should they as it's a ridiculous notion reserved for the insecure among us, are you saying you're insecure, are you afraid that someone might not think you cool. We're not using this type of technology to win any popularity contests or even too make as feel pretty, we use it, like the artist with his or hers paint brush, to make our thoughts and fantasies become reality. So, who cares what others think about us or what you may think about them, stop being that person, it's ugly.

Here is a beautiful preview of a short film that was shot entirely using an iPad. After you watch it and you should, do you still consider the people behind this wonderful little film as tools.

....and the full movie is here.

• Reply 11 of 58
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

I really wish Apple would eliminate the rear camera from iPad's.

No way!

Sometimes when I am video chatting with somebody, I flip from the front camera to the back camera if I need to show them something. The back camera is definitely useful, but as I said in a previous reply, I'd like to see Apple upgrade the camera quality to match the iPhone camera quality, at least on the top models.

• Reply 12 of 58
    Quote:

Sorry, but Tim Cook didn't get to be CEO of the world's best company by being stupid. Had you said that, he'd have just scuffed you off and walked away, as I would've done.

It's a joke silly, you know funny, funny, haha, what did the Joker say in the Dark Knight, oh yea, "why so serious".

• Reply 13 of 58
    Went from snapping a photo with an iPad to an all out stupidfest about video of recitals...

Blah

Whats the difference in using an iPad to take a photo and using a phone with a 5.5 to 6" phone?

Who cares?
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Silvy View Post

Went from snapping a photo with an iPad to an all out stupidfest about video of recitals...

Blah

Whats the difference in using an iPad to take a photo and using a phone with a 5.5 to 6" phone?

Who cares?

I have to agree, especially now that I use my iPad Mini as a "phone" (I don't talk on the phone a lot and one is required to either use it in speakerphone mode or via a headset, I at least don't have to hold it up to my head :P ).

• Reply 15 of 58
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    grey silvy wrote: »

Blah

Who cares?

That's the nature of internet forum comments :D
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grey Silvy View Post

Blah

Who cares?

Apparently the Justin Bieber generation does as it's not swag. What people have forgotten is that this is what we used to use to take videos with.

Sex tapes were a lot more difficult to make back then as it was almost impossible to hide the damn things. Wow, even your pubic hair has side burns.

• Reply 17 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    magman1979 wrote: »

You 'look down'? Really? :no: Some of us switch between iPads, iPhones, and many thousands of dollars worth of Canons with L lenses and Sony Pro 4 K video cameras. It's about the right tool at the time or whatever you have on hand. Then it's up to talent. Looking down at others is pretty silly IMHO, it could be you are looking down at a pro that happens to want to use an iPad for his or her own reasons.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Quote:

... you look like a douche parent at a dance recital ...

Quote:

... I look down upon people who try to use it as a Point-and-Shoot camera, as it makes them look like total tools. ...

People say this all the time, but no one ever gives a reason why.  It's always "I don't like it." or "you look stupid" or some other pejorative, personal and highly subjective remark.  

You know who really comes across as a "douche" or a "tool"???  The kind who call people names for no reason at all.  

One really good reason to use the iPad as a camera?  It has the biggest, nicest viewfinder of any camera available today.  Before the iPhone and iPad came out manufacturers of cameras crawled all over themselves trying to be the one with the biggest, clearest viewfinder on the back.  Now all of a sudden a camera that has the biggest, clearest viewfinder of all is a joke?  Why?  

No f*cking reason at all, that's why. 

• Reply 19 of 58

Using an iPad to video/photo and blocking sight lines when others are behind you - that's being a tool.  I really like the person that doesn't allow cameras at performances.

• Reply 20 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    As a person who does videography for dance recitals... I agree wholeheartedly!

Luckily... no one is allowed to video at my recitals on recital day... but they can stand up front and video during rehearsal days.

On a side note... I've seen many people record video at a dance competitions. The nice thing is that you can watch it immediately on the iPad on the larger screen. I'll give those people a pass :)

But they still look kinda silly :D

Yep, a tablet really doesn't belong at a video shoot ... I can see why so many are 'looking down' and laughing at people that use tablets in video situations .... /s