Developer adoption of OS X Yosemite beta nearly 4x that of Mavericks

Posted:
in macOS edited July 2014
Fresh data gathered by ad network Chitika shows Macs running Apple's OS X 10.10 Yosemite beta accounted for 0.2 percent of all OS X-based ad impressions in North America one month after release, nearly four times that of its predecessor OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

Chitika's research arm Chitika Insights published the new data on Wednesday, showing the relative adoption rates between Apple's upcoming Yosemite and the previous Mavericks.

As seen in the chart above, Macs running the first OS X Yosemite Developer Preview accounted for 0.15 percent of all U.S. and Canadian OS X Web traffic just three days after the beta build's release on June 2. That figure jumped to 0.2 percent after a full 30 days in the wild. By contrast, Apple's Mavericks preview only managed to accumulate a 0.05 percent share of Web traffic after 30 days.

The research firm believes Yosemite's long list of new features, continuity with iOS devices and a new iOS-inspired design fueled faster adoption. In particular, Safari feature additions and integration with Spotlight search could have fueled higher Web usage.

Another possibility is Apple's OS X Beta Program, which lets members of the public join developers in testing pre-release builds of the next-gen operating system.

Chitika notes the second bump in adoption, starting from day 15, was likely a result of Apple's second Developer Preview release, which brought a number of bug fixes to the operating system's so-called "continuity features." A third beta was issued on Monday, but falls outside of the study's purview.

The cause of Yosemite's third rise in share seen toward the end of June is less clear, though the date corresponds with Apple's announcement that it has halted development of Aperture and iPhoto, effectively retiring the first-party photo editing software. The company plans to combine features from Aperture and iPhoto into a new "prosumer" title called OS X Photos, though the app won't be available until 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Beta 3 has been great for me so far. A few things that aren't complete but definitely more stable than I would have expected this early on.

2) Has anyone that signed up for the non-developer betas been given a download code yet?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    Re your question 2) a very big NUP !!!.

They offer us mere plebs access and then leave us hangin'.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    prokip wrote: »
    Re your question 2) a very big NUP !!!.

They offer us mere plebs access and then leave us hangin'.

I noticed they still have that beta page up and saying that the first million will be selected. I assume if they had reached their quota they would have removed the sign up.

Perhaps they want to get all the features in place and major bugs ironed out before they let it out.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Perhaps they want to get all the features in place and major bugs ironed out before they let it out.

I think that is known as the final release. Perhaps they don't let anyone have it *until* they get one million signed up.

• Reply 5 of 14
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member

Hate to burst peoples bubbles... its not really 4x more developer interest in the beta....

This is the first time that the OS X beta and the iOS beta were available to iOS only developers under just the iOS developer program.  That had to do it this way, this time, to allow developers to get their act together through the whole ecosystem stack.

Before Yosemite and iOS 8 betas, you had to be an iOS and OS X developer ($198/year) to get into both developer releases for iOS and OS X.

• Reply 6 of 14
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    For some reason I thought they were supposed to release the public version on June 30. I must have been mistaken.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Odd considering this is definitely worse, even at DP3, than all of Mavericks development. Basic, basic functions are incredibly slow, totally broken, or otherwise very unresponsive.

Kernel panics galore through all 3 DP's so far.

• Reply 8 of 14
    pmz wrote: »
    Odd considering this is definitely worse, even at DP3, than all of Mavericks development. Basic, basic functions are incredibly slow, totally broken, or otherwise very unresponsive.

Zero kernel panics for me. Only issues are what they stated.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Has anyone that signed up for the non-developer betas been given a download code yet?

I’m to understand they haven’t gone out.

Originally Posted by cashxx View Post

For some reason I thought they were supposed to release the public version on June 30. I must have been mistaken.

They gave no date. “Summer” means “any day before September 21”.

• Reply 10 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Really? Its been very smooth for me. My friend is a programmer and he's using it as his main OS now. 

• Reply 11 of 14
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No issues here.  You might want to start from a fresh install and try again.

• Reply 12 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    pmz wrote: »

Wipe and start over. I had similar issues on a new Mac Pro, it was horrible after the upgrade . Soli mentioned how good it was, even FCPro X working for him and mine wasn't after updating to v3, so ... I started over from scratch. Now running on a new Mac mini and seems very solid and indeed FCPro X is fine. I am now also running Yosemite Server beta v4 and that seems to be ok too, although the FTP is still primitive (still no multiple accounts). CrushFTP doesn't seem to run at all, trying again later today.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

... and that's only in the northern hemisphere ... ;)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

... and that's only in the northern hemisphere ... image

The only hemisphere that counts. ????