Apple says working toward 'net zero energy' and green products in Environmental Responsibility Repor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2015
Apple on Wednesday published an Environmental Responsibility Report covering fiscal 2013, outlining steps the company has taken to reduce impact on climate change, use green materials in its products and conserve resources.

Apple's Maiden, N.C. solar farm. | Source: Apple

As noted in the document (PDF link) posted to the company's updated Environmental Responsibility webpage, Apple placed high priority on three key areas in 2013: reducing impact on climate change by using renewable energy sources and driving energy efficiency in its products; pioneering the use of greener materials in products and processes; and conserving precious resources.

A large chunk of Apple's environmental efforts are spent on achieving "net zero energy," which involves efficient energy use, generation of energy using renewable resources and purchasing renewable energy from appropriate providers.

More than 140 Apple Stores in the U.S. -- and all 21 Australian locations -- are now running off 100 percent renewable energy.The iCloud data center in Maiden, N.C. is used as an example of this net zero philosophy. With the nation's largest privately-owned solar array generating anywhere from 60 percent to 100 percent of daily energy requirements, and remaining needs purchased in the form of biogas, Maiden is 100 percent renewable. The solar array itself produces 167 million kilowatt-hours of renewable energy onsite per year, enough to power 13,837 homes.

A report on Tuesday revealed the company is planning to build a third solar array near the Maiden property, a move that may be intended to cope with future expansions to the data center. The company already purchased 200-acres of land nearby to build out a second solar array.

Under new Environemental Initiative chief Lisa Jackson, Apple has also been able to convert more than 140 U.S. Apple Stores, as well as all 21 Australian stores, to 100 percent renewable energy. To achieve this feat, Apple either purchases green energy from a third-party provider or participates in utility green tariff programs that ensure electricity comes from a renewable energy source.

The upcoming Apple Campus 2, which was designed from the ground up to be environmentally friendly, was also brought into focus. Apple says the campus will be powered by 100 percent renewable energy with one of the largest corporate solar energy installations in the world, while advanced architecture allows air to flow through specially designed vents to cut down on HVAC costs.

Late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs inspecting a model of Campus 2's specially designed free-flow venting system.

In addition to large-scale thinking, Apple also looks at the details and will have more than 1,000 shared bicycles available to Campus 2 employees. Other transport measures include ride sharing, carpooling and incentives to use eco-friendly forms of transportation.

Apple also addresses shuttle buses, a hot topic for many Bay Area residents who feel San Francisco is being gentrified by high-salary tech workers. For some critics, the coaches have become symbols of economic inequality.

For its part, Apple says that more than 2,100 employees use the free, biodiesel-powered buses per day to commute from corporate offices in Cupertino and Sunnyvale, Calif., avoiding 6,377 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions. In addition, the company promotes ride sharing and provides more than 300 charging points for electric cars.

On the topic of efficient product design, Apple points to energy saving features built into OS X and iOS, saying that the average total power consumed by its devices are 57 percent less than they were in 2008. The company also points out continuing efforts to shrink packaging size to cut down on material waste and transportation costs.

Source: Apple

In addition to the energy going into making and using Apple products, the company is also working on post-use scenarios through recycling programs. By partnering with local recyclers, Apple avoids transporting material to out-of-region plants, thus saving on greenhouse emission costs.

On the efficacy of its recycling initiative, Apple's Jackson said in May that -- by weight -- incoming material accounts for "well over 80 percent" of product the company put out seven years ago. With the decreasing size of devices like the iPhone and Mac, that statistic suggests a good incoming mix, she said.

The entire 29-page report can be viewed on Apple's Environmental Responsibility website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    I find it quite ironic, that going into an article such as this regarding renewable energy and green energy, gives me the Google ad banner at the top that it did...[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/45585/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 2 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I wonder if they are going to take into account all the other energy costs in sourcing of 3rd-party components to 3rd-party manufacturing to 3rd-party shipping. If they are creating a surplus at their farms I suppose that wouldn't be a difficult goal to achieve if they can get the other.
  • Reply 3 of 70
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    Every government building should have solar roofing. Drive the price down when competition meets demand then popularize it in the private sector. Just me ranting...
  • Reply 4 of 70
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Yeah, Ad Sense is serving up ads about energy saving products in this article.
  • Reply 5 of 70
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Great job Apple, you have always stayed the course on good environmental stewardship!!  I don't buy into the Global Warming Climate Change (supported equally by  Warming or Cooling, Droughting or Flooding), but I do believe in stewardship. 

Apple could make a much bigger impact on the Global environment if they improved solar cells of greater efficiency (high end consumer is 27%) so the whole world could easily and affordably use renewable energy. 

Kudos Apple! 

• Reply 6 of 70
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Apple proves there is a business case to invest in green energy.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm not too interested in liberal green policies, global warming scams, or whatever they're calling it today, I think the latest meme is climate change, but I'm very happy with solar stocks, and I've been trading some of them this year, like SCTY and FSLR. They have some nice action going on, both up and down.

• Reply 8 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Every government building should have solar roofing.

Well… no. Not at all.

Every government building should use American power.

• Reply 9 of 70
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Keep in mind that 'energy neutral', 'carbon neutral', etc. is not the same as "cheaper" or without great cost.
  • Reply 10 of 70
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well… no. Not at all.

Every government building should use American power.

Seriously, why do something good for economics and the environment, when you can just be a jingoistic prick.  Burn some good 'Merican coal there...

• Reply 11 of 70
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Seriously, why do something good for economics and the environment, when you can just be a jingoistic prick.  Burn some good ‘Merican coal there...

That’s the most strawmen I’ve seen in a post in a while. Why not try again when you’re capable of reading first?

• Reply 12 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not too interested in liberal green policies, global warming scams, or whatever they're calling it today, I think the latest meme is climate change, but I'm very happy with solar stocks, and I've been trading some of them this year, like SCTY and FSLR. They have some nice action going on, both up and down.

Good point, why trust an overwhelming majority of climate scientists about some warming scam when a plucky under funded group of oil billionaires has exposed the evil government plot to stop invading the middle east for energy...

• Reply 13 of 70

I don't suppose you care to explain what is "straw man" that.  Or did you just hear the term and thought you would try it out?

• Reply 14 of 70

an overwhelming majority of climate scientists

*cough*/*cough*

Take a step back before replying in yet another thread.

• Reply 15 of 70
    Quote:

*cough*/*cough*

I am well aware of what they are.  You are failing to explain how my suggesting that your stance is jingoistic is a straw man.  Try again.

• Reply 16 of 70

I am well aware of what they are.  You are failing to explain how my suggesting that your stance is jingoistic is a straw man.  Try again.

Why not reply where it belongs instead? Actually, why not just not make up things that other people didn’t say? Sounds like a better idea.

• Reply 17 of 70
    Quote:

*cough*/*cough*

BTW, stating that a majority of climate scientists have come by scientific consensus to a conclusion, is not the same as "popularity" unless you fail to understand what the scientific method is.  Nor is it an appeal to authority, but a suggestion that expertise has weight.  

You don't, or at least I hope you wouldn't, go to a plumber to fix a cavity.  Expertise matters.

And generally speaking, if 97/100 doctors state that you are risk for a heart attack, if you claim that is an appeal to popularity, we can just shake our heads at your ignorance and wait for the cardiac arrest.

Why is the climate any different?

• Reply 18 of 70

Why is the climate any different?

Just seems to me that you could show some actual proof to him to tear his argument apart instead of repeating tag lines.

You know, since the doctors would be able to show me proof of heart attack, after all.

• Reply 19 of 70
    Quote:

Actually, why not just not make up things that other people didn’t say? Sounds like a better idea.

I agree.  So when you state that something is a straw man without proof, how about you realize that is just making things up?

Back to the topic, how much more "American" would you like government power to be than made right there on the roof of that American building?  Is the sun too foreign for you?

• Reply 20 of 70

So when you state that something is a straw man without proof

Read my post. Read your post. There’s your proof. This isn’t a difficult concept to grasp.