At Sun Valley retreat, Tim Cook tells reporter to upgrade her Samsung phone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

She should have quipped "The Galaxy S6 isn't out yet"

Then sent samesung an invoice for services rendered.

• Reply 42 of 58
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Yep, a tablet really doesn't belong at a video shoot ... I can see why so many are 'looking down' and laughing at people that use tablets in video situations .... /s

I don't see a tablet in that picture.

I see a field monitor.

And a studio environment is very different than standing in front of people at a public event holding up a huge slab of glass.

(BTW... I wasn't the one who "looked down upon" people for using a tablet to shoot video...)
  • Reply 43 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

When will people realize that their iPhone camera is significantly better than their iPad camera?

And the 5s has a better camera than the 5. Every time I see snaps taken on my wife's 5s and compare them with the ones taken on my 5, I feel like crying! God knows how I survived taking pics on the 3G and 3GS!

• Reply 44 of 58

This thread has actually been derailed, so back on topic, Tim seems to be getting a certain swagger! He seems so confident about what comes next.

This Fall is going to be very interesting and very expensive!

• Reply 45 of 58
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

This thread has actually been derailed, so back on topic, Tim seems to be getting a certain swagger! He seems so confident about what comes next.

This Fall is going to be very interesting and very expensive!

There was never any track to this story too derail in the first place.

• Reply 46 of 58
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member
    Next up in the news%u2026 Apple Insider has been acquired by E News Network and will now report on everything as if all the staff is part of the paparazzi.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

Funny. Everybody records all those dumb concerts, recitals, plays etc. and I'd bet nobody ever watches them again.

• Reply 48 of 58
    mike1 wrote: »
    Funny. Everybody records all those dumb concerts, recitals, plays etc. and I'd bet nobody ever watches them again.

How can you say that, kids spend 18 years of their lives making ours a living hell. Showing videos of them to their spouses pooping in the neighbors pool is one of the only tools of revenge we have as parents, well that and telling them how and where they were conceived using very descriptive adjectives.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

How can you say that, kids spend 18 years of their lives making ours a living hell. Showing videos of them to their spouses pooping in the neighbors pool is one of the only tools of revenge we have as parents, well that and telling them how and where they were conceived using very descriptive adjectives.

There’s a video of me wearing only Snoopy slippers and singing somewhere on my parents’ computer, I think.

• Reply 50 of 58
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    There’s a video of me wearing only Snoopy slippers and singing somewhere on my parents’ computer, I think.

Was that your Red Hot Chili Peppers audition tape? :lol:
  • Reply 51 of 58
    mike1 wrote: »

On a more serious note, every picture, every video your mother has of you has been viewed at least a half dozen times by her. If not, send some of your baby pictures to me and I'll add them to my weekly viewing slide show. Your parents might not show it all the time but they love you and miss you very much, especially when your not around. These recorded memories are very important to them especially when time is a factor. Why do you think I jumped all over those who would criticize those parents for using an iPad to make these memories, calling someone a douche, tool, whatever for taking pictures or videos of their loved ones is not only reprehensible but shows just how apathetic our society has become.

It is no big secret around here that I am on borrowed time, so every minute, second I have with my children is a blessing and a gift. I checked into the hospital today for an operation that takes place on Monday, on my night stand right now is my Nokia 2520 connected to One Drive, looping through the hundreds of pictures I have of my little family. Though I think I need to start forcing them to wear more clothing, those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated. I blame my sister and her hippie ways for that dilemma.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    I jumped all over those who would criticize those parents for using an iPad to make these memories, calling someone a douche, tool, whatever for taking pictures or videos of their loved ones is not only reprehensible but shows just how apathetic our society has become.

I think the point anyone makes about using the camera on an iPad is simply because it looks odd. The more mainstream it becomes the less odd it becomes and people will get used to it. Over 20 years ago when we got the digital camera it was weird to see someone look at the photo they just took, now people are in awe when I use my analogue camera.

Obviously your point is about parents creating a digital archive of their over ones, and you make an excellent point about it.
    It is no big secret around here that I am on borrowed time, so every minute, second I have with my children is a blessing and a gift. I checked into the hospital today for an operation that takes place on Monday, on my night stand right now is my Nokia 2520 connected to One Drive, looping through the hundreds of pictures I have of my little family. Though I think I need to start forcing them to wear more clothing, those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated. I blame my sister and her hippie ways for that dilemma.

Your 'intertwining' of humour with the stone cold truth is commendable. I laugh and shed a tear when reading about your personal life. Hope the helicopter flight was a nice experience. I very much hope the operation will succeed and we all can read many more posts to come from you, while you are back home. Please do keep us informed on your progress; perhaps your husband can post info as many of us here weren't in the 'greatest state' while you were offline the last time.

Take care. Good luck. Best wishes. Enjoy your loved ones. Here's to many of your future posts.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnyblitz View Post

Using an iPad to video/photo and blocking sight lines when others are behind you - that's being a tool.  I really like the person that doesn't allow cameras at performances.

Now that's a different story, and I agree, but a smart phone held up is just as obnoxious in certain situations. At an Eagles concert recently I could hardly see the stage for a Samsung held up to video by a moron in the seat in front of me. It wasn't the size but the fully bright screen blinding me that was the problem. On there other hand, I was in front of the Mendenhall glacier the other day and I saw every type of recoding device being used and plenty of room. There were many iPads and iPhones as well as high end Canons etc.. It's all good in such situations.

I disagree. Better to enjoy the moment and not take any pictures or video.

What's the point of capturing a memory if there was no memory there in the first place?

• Reply 54 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnnyblitz View Post

Using an iPad to video/photo and blocking sight lines when others are behind you - that's being a tool.  I really like the person that doesn't allow cameras at performances.

It all depends. An iPad is merely a tool to capture video with or take pictures with, and it has a wonderful large display, so why wouldn't people want to use it. And what if that's all that they have?

Screw the other people in the crowd. Everybody is annoying in their own way. Some women have huge, ridiculous looking hair that blocks the view. Some people talk too much. Some people smell. Some people are just naturally tall and block the vertical view. Some people are fat and they block the horizontal view. 

So what if somebody is using an iPad? Who says that cameras have to be small or have small view finders? A large display is perfectly suited for photography.

I completely disagree. People using any camera at performances are being selfish. Just enjoy the frigging concert.

• Reply 55 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I would have attributed such direct commentary to Steve. Way to go, Tim.

He first started taking some of those leaves out of Steve's book in the WWDC keynote, at least, publicly. It's great!

• Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Precisely. A concert is put on to be savoured in the moment, not to be dissected over in agonising detail.

• Reply 57 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I had a Snoopy pillow.