Misfit wearables rolls out new sleep tracking device in partnership with Beddit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2014
Misfit wearables, makers of the Shine activity monitor, announced on Thursday a partnership with Beddit, an ultra-sensitive sleep tracking system that slips under a user's sheets to measure everything from respiration to movement.

Billed as one of the least intrusive sleep sensors available, the Misfit Beddit Sleep System is a "paper-thin" device that can be placed on a bed's mattress just below the sheets to measure a wide spectrum of sleep metrics.

As the user is sleeping on Beddit, it measures sleep cycles by using physiological data like respiration, heart rate, movement, snoring and ambient sound. The raw information is automatically transmitted to Misfit's app for processing and storage, granting quick access to sleep habits, statistics and visualizations can be accessed.

One of the advantages of having a semi-permanently installed tracking system is that users don't have to wear wristbands or other paraphernalia that can inhibit a sound night's sleep. Additionally, with sensitive sensors and specialized algorithms, Beddit can generate information on a per-user basis even if two people are sleeping in the same bed. Each person needs their own device for accurate readings.

While Misfit's own Shine wearable device tracks sleep habits, it still needs to be worn on the wrist to work.

"Shine delivered on the important function of activity tracking, but we saw that sleep tracking was one of the most engaging features because Shine does it automatically, unlike other activity monitors," said Misfit CEO Sonny Vu. "With Beddit, we're making our sleep tracking functionality even more robust. Not only are we able to measure more, but even less is required of the user - a frictionless experience."

The Beddit Sleep Monitor can be purchased from Misfit's online store for $149.99, while the Misfit app is a free download from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Great value... IF:

[1] Accurate.

[2] Private (no transmission of data off-site).

Oh, how times are changing. :\ 

• Reply 2 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    So, once you know you sleep terribly ... what next? Personally I've found it's all about getting the exact right amount of alcohol into your system. Too much bad sleep, too little bad sleep ... Just right, sleep like a baby all night :D
  • Reply 3 of 6
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Sleep tracking strikes me as the height of self obsession. I hope there is useful purpose beyond gathering data to support you sneaking suspicion that you just aren't getting enough sleep.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    paxman wrote: »
    Sleep tracking strikes me as the height of self obsession. I hope there is useful purpose beyond gathering data to support you sneaking suspicion that you just aren't getting enough sleep.

I was thinking, one it determines you are wasting your time in bed, it could via WiFi, set your Nest to a different temperature, switch on the Apple TV and tell your robot to fetch your slippers and make you a martini ...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

For those of us that suffer(ed) for sleep apnea it is a nice tool. Does not replace a proper sleep study which must be conducted at a physician run  facility. That of course will give you much more info. For myself I used a BiPAP (similar to a CPAP) machine which involved stopping on a mask the was tune to what I was supposed to be breathing and forced air in and out. It is not the most comfortable of devices and worse for me (and others) it just no longer did the job correctly after about 18 months. I had surgery to remove my other set of tonsils and, re-hung my hyoid bone an c couple of other small things -- felt like someone made me swallow glass and then use a wire brush to open er up a bit for about 10 days. My point is though that after the surgery (and recovery) everything has been great but it would be nice to have a device like this to give me some info to let me know if I am stopping breathing during my sleep, etc... I say good deal and at the price it is well worth it. My BiPAP, which is medical grade and FDA certified etc..., was a bit over $2500.00 with a mask that needed to be replaced every 6-12 months at a cost of $150.00 but it did come with a nifty backpack to carry it in for traveling. I am not suggesting that Misfit device replaces the functionality of a BiPAP  or CPAP but it would make me and my family more comfortable.

It looks like another device to add to the home medical cabinet along with the digital thermometer (forehead arterial), automated blood pressure device, an Oximeter, etc.

• Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I was thinking, one it determines you are wasting your time in bed, it could via WiFi, set your Nest to a different temperature, switch on the Apple TV and tell your robot to fetch your slippers and make you a martini ...

Nice; a butler for those not blessed with wives.