China's state-owned media calls iOS location tracking a 'national security concern'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In a country where any political system but communism is a national security concern, I don’t think we should care much about whatever else they have to say.

You don't know all US government documents are confidential and classified? 

• Reply 42 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

Forgive my ignorance, but why the concern over vulnerability of "state secrets"? Is this about eavesdropping on gov't officials' phones (like the Merkel case) or that people will keep sensitive info in their iPhones?

There was one interesting news when Chinese President Xi and his wife were visiting US a couple years ago.  His wife was photographed of using an iPhone to take a picture of interesting place. 

• Reply 43 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

You don't know all US government documents are confidential and classified? 

Is there any word in this sentence other than ‘government’ which is relevant to the quoted text?

• Reply 44 of 66
    Quote:

Is there any word in this sentence other than ‘government’ which is relevant to the quoted text?

Yes, you have a biased view.  I point out the fact to you. 

• Reply 45 of 66

Yes, you have a biased view.  I point out the fact to you. 

Still nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.

• Reply 46 of 66
    Quote:

Still nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.

We should care because Chinese government may take actions against Apple based on irrational understanding of location services. 

• Reply 47 of 66
    For once I think Apple is wrong on location tracking. The privacy concern is real. It tracks my phone in Public Area//Cinema/Friend's Home as system service function rather than an third-party app.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member

Now that's the "pot calling the kettle black"!!!

• Reply 49 of 66

We should care because Chinese government may take actions against Apple based on irrational understanding of location services. 

How hard was that to post initially?!

• Reply 50 of 66
    techguy911 wrote: »
    Between this and the recent court case loss, it sounds like Apple missed a protection payment to the CCP.  Once the Chinese politicians have been paid, everything bad will go away.

I would agree. Apple was not allowed to SELL THE IPHONE IN CHINA until they sealed up its ability to anonymously surf sel-made wifi and allow the government to track all types of social media that might be posted. The Chinese Govt DEMANDED more accurate tracking features than Apple was putting in American phones for the longest time.

Somebody didn't realize Apple was just letting the tracking be PUBLIC... And that capitalists were using it. Big Brother Apple and the phone company track ALL Chinese iPhones the same. It's illegal to turn it off there. That applies to all the Commrades... Oops
  • Reply 51 of 66
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    tzeshan wrote: »

There was one interesting news when Chinese President Xi and his wife were visiting US a couple years ago.  His wife was photographed of using an iPhone to take a picture of interesting place. 

Yes, interesting. Sorry, but it has nothing to do with my question.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Man how awesome would it be if we didn't need China for manufacturing. Or if the US government didn't need China to finance it's massive debt. Would be so nice to be able to give a big middle finger to the Chinese government.

Yup. It would be awesome to be able to fck China over and tell them to go to hell...lol

• Reply 53 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I find it interesting that the far greater threat to Chinese security (Android) goes unremarked upon.

• Reply 54 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

China is right on, Apps that want your location are a privacy invasion. Most of those Apps don't need that location info.

It's become a pain continually refusing App requests for my location. 

Some Apps I delete rather than turn on location for them.

Just turn locations services entirely off then.

• Reply 55 of 66
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I find it interesting that the far greater threat to Chinese security (Android) goes unremarked upon.

Google knows who to pay and how much to pay them.

• Reply 56 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Google knows who to pay and how much to pay them.

Hardly unless they know and just refuse to take part in it. If it were true Google and every one of their services would not be blocked in China. :\ Turkey, Iran and Pakistan are the other three bastions of personal freedom blocking at least some Google services. Any other big tech have a problem selling/shipping product to those countries? Any of them? If anything it's some of the others that have figured out where the grease gets applied. (pssst, Microsoft)

http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/
    http://blogs.seattletimes.com/microsoftpri0/2013/08/22/report-u-s-government-widens-investigation-into-foreign-bribery-allegations-against-microsoft-and-partners/
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/20/technology/us-said-to-look-into-microsoft-bribery-allegations.html?_r=0

Try this: Use whatever search provider you like and request "(insert tech name) accused of bribery". See what comes up.

Sidenote: DuckDuckGo results look like mirror images of Bing search results. Even the same order. :err:
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Hardly unless they know and just refuse to take part in it.

They’re selling their products in the country. They are taking part in it.

• Reply 58 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Hmmm. . . taking part in "it". What is "it", bribery? Something else? If so what?
  • Reply 59 of 66

C'mon, China!  Why so grumpy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Man how awesome would it be if we didn't need China for manufacturing.

I'm thinking the recent story on the FoxConn bots.  If Apple can run their own factories with robots in the US, we may actually get there.  Which will make China even more grumpy.

Imagine the strategic advantage if Samsung's devices are still partially or largely hand-assembled and Apple has it's little secretive Willy Wonka factories that no one ever goes into or comes out of - just shiny product. :)

• Reply 60 of 66
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

cant help the irony of the whole press release... a commie state is complaining about the privacy "issue" in iPhone? !?!?!