G5 will not run classic at all...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Apple will only do this once ALL major apps get Carbonized. Photoshop better be done by then, but QuarkXPress might not be.

[quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>

I disagree -- by early next year I wouldn't be surprised if Apple was building machines and not updating the OS 9 drivers for them. The G5's will be compatible with older processors at the application level, but all new processors require some system software changes to support them. This means that the G5 machines will probably not boot OS9, but will be able to run classic under OSX (since its just another application in that environment). This fits well with a previous thread about versions 9.4+ of classic being non-bootable (thus OSX only).</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 22 of 24
    No way would Apple be that stupid. If the G5 is here within a year (and I think MWNY is when we'll see it), it will boot into OS 9. It MUST. There is a whole world of Mac users that cannot use OS X yet: Audio professionals. So far only Peak DV has been ported to OS X, neither Cubase, nor Protools have been ported. It would be like killing OS 9 support on G5s when Photoshop isn't carbonized yet.

Apple and their stupid I/O frameworks, or lack thereof...if it wasn't for that OS X would be much further along now...
  • Reply 23 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>No way would Apple be that stupid. If the G5 is here within a year (and I think MWNY is when we'll see it), it will boot into OS 9. It MUST. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree with this statement. If the G5 doesn't arrive until 2003, however, the equation changes.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>That's just stupid.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Really? As long as OS9 can be installed on a mac, OSX offers NO security. What good is it having passwords, if someone just needs to carry around an OS9 cd to take a look at your files? Hell, they don't even need to install the OS, just use it to boot up the machine and voila ... access to everything.

Of course, OS9 is currently being used as a safety net, but one day, it has to come down. We can only hope OSX will then be ready to go it alone.