No new powermacs!!

Comments

• Reply 19 of 124
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    They have no choice but update the Powermacs soon. I am surprised they did not lower the prices on them. That bottom model is going to be a tough sell - and it won't be much better for the other ones.

If Steve was ready to put an 800Mhz G4 in an iMac, I would expect great things are coming for the Pro lineup.
  • Reply 19 of 124
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    [quote]While Apple was busy hyping this expo, AMD released the XP 2000+ and Intel released the P4 2.2 For the first time ever, I find myself considering buying an Athlon based PC.<hr></blockquote>

Please go. Go now! I will show you the doorway to hell.

[quote]I would take a 1GHz G4 TODAY over a 1.4GHz G5 in 4 months!<hr></blockquote>

I have no doubt that you would. what do you have now, a 867?

I say new PM's sooner than latter.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Cobra ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 124
    [quote]Originally posted by PookJP:

<strong>I'm suprised, very suprised. But let's not undermine the significance of the new iMac. That machine is unbelievable! And it has the power of a pro machine! I'm amazed Apple came out with it, and I firmly believe we will see new Pro machines within the next 2 months.

Please, people. Let's show some restraint on the whining front.

- Pook</strong><hr></blockquote>

restraint hmmm interesting concept but yeah, ok, i can do that
  • Reply 24 of 124
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>

That's a good point.

With an 800 MHz G4 in the new iMac, it won't be long before the PowerMacs are updated. I just thought for sure with the hype and excitement Apple was building, they were planning on doing both here.

A little disappointed, but since I just ordered my SuperDrive equipped iMac, I'm not TOO disappointed.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey Murbot, maybe in February when you are tired of your new iMac, you can sell it to me for a special "AI Pride" discount.
  • Reply 25 of 124
    vr6vr6 Posts: 77member
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>Apple just screwed itself</strong><hr></blockquote>

Screw you!

Today, for $1799, Apple will sell you a flat screen computer with an 800MHz G4 that can:

1) organize all of your music and let you burn it onto CDs or synch with an iPod

2) edit movies from your digital camcorder

3) burn those movies onto DVDs that will play on any DVD player in the world

4) organize all of your photos and create amazing web sites, movies or hardcover books out of them.

5) everything else that PCs do.

This computer has the stability of OSX, looks more beautiful than any other consumer computer ever, and is smaller than the cube was.

I say apple just sold another 6 million computers over the next three years.

This same capability cost more than twice this last year and didn't feature iPhoto by the way.

Today was a huge day for Apple. If they don't have a strong consumer market, they don't have a business. The pros will get their thrills at the next event.
  • Reply 26 of 124
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Uh, no. Apple's charging up the entire market by segmenting its announcements along into a chain of events instead of one huge event. The last time Apple had a blow-out mass of announcements in one expo was July 2000 for the Cube.

Apple's trying to keep life in the PC market by keeping something fresh at any point in the year instead of having all the products on the same cycle.
  • Reply 27 of 124
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    It looks like they kept 3 models of the old iMacs.

Indigo $799 500Mhz-CD Rom

Graphite/Snow $999 600Mhz-CDRW
  • Reply 28 of 124
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Isn't Apple doing the keynote tomorrow too? Maybe they are spreading the announcements over 2 days to pace themselves.
  • Reply 28 of 124
    I must admit I was pretty disapointed with no new power macs, but im still hopeful for a G5 in the future.

After all the hype I was expecting something better that MWSF last year. Last year- new g4s, Tibook, superdrive, itunes, idvd, osX, etc. This is year- a new imac and iphoto....

In all fairness the new iMac is pretty sweet. So good that nobody will buy a PM g4 I think. For about the same price as the cheapes g4 you get a faster processor, a 15" display and a superdrive...
  • Reply 30 of 124
    naderbynaderby Posts: 131member
    Things aren't all that bad with the Pro line? maybe we get the new 'white' keyboard & mouse with the Quicksilver Power Macs!
  • Reply 31 of 124
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I don't buy it. They would have released the PowerMac if they had it. It's probably a G5 then, whenever it's available.

It seems silly to release new iApps, but not new hardware, at Macworld. They're preaching to the choir as the saying goes. We already know the wonderful things Macs can do, we just want it faster and cheaper.

The new iMac is a good machine, even though I wouldn't care for one. They just almost completely erraticate the need for a PowerMac at this point in time. That, combined with the fact that they won't be shipping for two months, means that Apple can't sell very many machines for a while. That's bad business. All powermac sales just went out the window.

Disappointing show I'd say.
  • Reply 32 of 124
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>Isn't Apple doing the keynote tomorrow too? Maybe they are spreading the announcements over 2 days to pace themselves.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope. No keynote tomorrow.
  • Reply 33 of 124
    The reason why this keynote was such a big dissapointment was because of apples own hype. If they wouldn't have hyped this expo then it would been ok for me. But still.... I don't care about any iMacs, I want my PM. But with the current prices/specs it just doesn't cut it compared to the iMac. I am VERY dissapointed!!
  • Reply 33 of 124
    I must admit I was pretty disapointed with no new power macs, but im still hopeful for a G5 in the future.

After all the hype I was expecting something better that MWSF last year. Last year- new g4s, Tibook, superdrive, itunes, idvd, osX, etc. This is year- a new imac and iphoto....

In all fairness the new iMac is pretty sweet. So good that nobody will buy a PM g4 I think. For about the same price as the cheapes g4 you get a faster processor, a 15" display and a superdrive...
  • Reply 35 of 124
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    Just like Outsider said, just wait until tomorrow, perhaps another BIG surprise for the towers.
  • Reply 36 of 124
    [quote]Originally posted by vr6:

<strong>

Screw you!

Today, for $1799, Apple will sell you a flat screen computer with an 800MHz G4 that can:

1) organize all of your music and let you burn it onto CDs or synch with an iPod

2) edit movies from your digital camcorder

3) burn those movies onto DVDs that will play on any DVD player in the world

4) organize all of your photos and create amazing web sites, movies or hardcover books out of them.

5) everything else that PCs do.

This computer has the stability of OSX, looks more beautiful than any other consumer computer ever, and is smaller than the cube was.

I say apple just sold another 6 million computers over the next three years.

This same capability cost more than twice this last year and didn't feature iPhoto by the way.

Today was a huge day for Apple. If they don't have a strong consumer market, they don't have a business. The pros will get their thrills at the next event.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Get out of the moonshine. It's been 6 months since an update, that's pathetic. Apple's current powermac offerings SUCK. I love Apple too, but I'm not going to be mislead into buying a computer not worth the money.

I have $2250 to buy a computer in July. Now I can get a slow (Yes, slow. No DDR, no increased bus speed, no expansion, no software, no ghz) powermac or I can go out and build myself a pc.

The only thing that Apple has is looks and ease of use, I'd give those up for access to good hardware. And so would every other realistic computer buyer. That's why Apple's shooting itself in the foot.

The new imac is crap. Sure, it looks good and would be a good terminal computer but it wont be available until march (All models available then) it's speeds are still pathetic, no new technology, no expansion. Again, all it has is looks and ease of use.

Apple needs to wake up because at their current trend they will lose their 5% of the market just like they've been doing up to this point.

Apple needs powerusers to buy into their hardware, they show the average consumer what to buy. They work at the computer stores, they run the review sites, they're everywhere influencing the average consumer's purchases. If a poweruser like me sees that Apple's offerings are a bad deal then it wont help apple whatsoever.

I'm not a zealot, I'm realistic.
  • Reply 37 of 124
    I'd say that AMD's 2.2 ghz jumbo jet has just collided into Apple 867 mhz tower, and it's crumbling fast...
  • Reply 37 of 124
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    No new PMacs until the LCD rebate expires at the end of January.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: scottiB ]</p>
  • Reply 39 of 124
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    This has nothing to do with "spreading out the announcements." If they had it, they would release it.

We were hoping for a G5, apparently the Apollo isn't even ready yet. Looks to me like the new iMac has the same chip as the PowerBook (7441).

In a couple months the Sahara should be getting up in speed for the iBooks, and the Apollo should do the same for everything else. The G5 can't come soon enough.
  • Reply 39 of 124
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I'd venture to say that Apple's current professional line is in disarray. The new iBook pretty much makes the TiBook too expensive unless you desperately need FCP on the road. The new iMac makes two of the three PowerMacs pretty much obsolete.

As a matter of fact, both the portable and desktop lines are pretty much seperated by screen size and nothing else.

I'm not going to whine and say that I'm switching to Windows, but there's almost no reason to buy a professional machine right now. Why offer them then?