Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo: Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' faces production issues, launch may be pushed to 2

Comments

• Reply 81 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

It's called medical marijuana for a reason...

Yes, it creates medical problems.

• Reply 82 of 128
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Breaking news: Apple has delayed iTV and iWatch were delayed until next year due my cat, Miss Kitty Whiskers, having kittens yesterday.

Also, I bring information that Apple is developing an iLawnMower. It will be released Q3 2015. No wait -- I just received word production was delayed by six month due to diamond-based tires not being available in time.
  • Reply 83 of 128
    That is how Ming-Chi Kuo gets away with wrong analysis! Boom!
  • Reply 84 of 128
    jonl wrote: »
    Standard rumor, part of the Apple product cycle rumor algorithm, which has been accepted as an ISO Standard, BTW. Move along, nothing to see here.

Steve may be dead but his Reality Distortion Field has been left drifting around the world like a weather balloon caught in the jet stream... lost spotted hovering over some Chinese dude.
  • Reply 85 of 128
    tom2517tom2517 Posts: 1member

The reason this analyst is more accurate than others is because he is based in Taiwan, and practically all Apple products are made by Taiwanese companies (with manufacturing in China). All this guy does is wine and dine Foxconn executives and parts supplier executives trying to get some inside information. 

I am sure the analysts in the US also have some connections, but Kuo is right where the action is.

• Reply 86 of 128
    tailstootailstoo Posts: 44member
    I'm sorry to say, but there is no 5.5" model. Lots of people want one, but if it exists then some parts should have already shown up. I haven't seem a part that wasn't from a 4.7"

When Tim Cook leaves the stage in Sept, there will be a lot of cranky people.
  • Reply 87 of 128
    slicksimslicksim Posts: 52member
    You forgot 4. There is no 5.5” model: it’s an iPod touch. They’re repositioning the device for gaming, both handheld and via the Apple TV.

The A8 is going to have the last generation of console gaming devices running for the hills and this generation’s looking uneasily over their shoulders.

By the A10, there will be no contest, and this generation of consoles will still have 3-4 years on their cycles.
    I agree, option 4 stacks up better: not a phone (too big) so two handed use which fits with everything Apple have ever said on the issue. The new iPod touch could be a beast: killer game playing (two handed sideways on) , music, WiFi and telecom connectivity for those who are looking for a single mobile device that is great for text and messaging (as that is all they ever use it for) oh and FaceTime on the weekends. There is a huge population of the world who use script based languages, which could use the extra space more effectively? Anyone got experience of this?
  • Reply 88 of 128
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Furthermore, in the note he identified three areas of concern. One, the irregular color of the metal, the touch sensitivity near the edges and the screen drop test. All seem to be fairly specific as if he does have some inside connection in the manufacturing team. He is from the region where that could be entirely possible.

I agree. It's not some random analyst making vague claims. It's an analyst with a good track record (the last being the prediction of the low cost iMac) making very specific claims. Of course no one can see the future, and Apple may very well have a breakthrough and solve these problems and launch both models in quantity. But I believe that, as of right now, he is in all likelihood correct.

• Reply 89 of 128
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Ming-Chi Kuo has had some accurate timelines and rumors but more and more he pads out his well-sourced info with wild speculation. He suggests investors shouldn't expect a television set until 2015-2016:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/12/apple-television-set-not-expected-until-2015-or-later-but-a7-apple-tv-could-come-in-2014/

Rumors that turn out to be false are always delayed until they stop mentioning them and hope everyone forgets they brought it up.
    tailstoo wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say, but there is no 5.5" model. Lots of people want one, but if it exists then some parts should have already shown up. I haven't seem a part that wasn't from a 4.7"

When Tim Cook leaves the stage in Sept, there will be a lot of cranky people.

I didn't think there were many people who wanted a 5.5" iPhone and the few who did said they'd buy it if it was available but otherwise the smaller one would be ok. The phablet market is only a fraction of the size of the ~5" or less smartphones. Most people on the forum after a bigger screen wanted something in the upper 4" range. There was a poll done here:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/01/21/poll-iphone-6-screen-size/

It's not clear how many people voted in it but it had to be over 400 for the percentages to turn out that way. 4.7" was voted highest and 5.5" came out less than even 4". The polls don't reflect real-world buying trends but they would be representative of people's opinions.

A phablet goes against everything Apple stands for because it hinders usability, design and it conflicts with its purpose of being a pocket device and a phone.
  • Reply 90 of 128
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Analyst quickly learn to dance around predictions based on past experience. It provides cover up and also keep excitement going in market place. Most large corporations, future product's design and logistic are defined many quarters in advanced. You think Apple would screw up couple of months before their typical product announcement that they have problems with their design ? If Apple plan to release 5.x inch iphone in 2014, than they will. If Apple plans to release in 2015, than that is how it will go. This one analyst may know bits and pieces but only Apple knows whole story and Apple have said nothing yet.
  • Reply 91 of 128
    Analysts everywhere for all companies behave the same way. Those for Apple, because they keep tight control over information about forthcoming products, must continue to report something. Analysts are in the business of making money buying and selling stock; no transaction, no money.

Transactions are executed among brokers and brokers and the public who hold Apple stock. Each broker manages transactions between their clients making fees coming and going. Clients are all different, each are biased, and each will buy or sell based on the same information, interpreting that information according to their biases. It's that differential between biases that accounts for transactions. Those who buy and hold don't listen.

But all these rumors are ultimately good for Apple. Continuous advertising without Apple having to spend a dime.

I wonder how these rumors effect apple competitors? They must monitor each other and must be prepared to react to each other, while continuing to execute their own plan and do R&D.

Apple under Jobs publically had said they only focus on executing their plan and are not driven by what the others are doing. Apples theme of only wanting to make great products, seems to me, reflects this approach and why Apple seems late to the game when competitors market a feature and Apple doesn't seem to play oneupmanship games -- it's not in there plans.

For brokers covering other companies, and sectors, there are differentials that cause transactions which make them money. It recently was suggested that a relatively new company had developed a new medical test, and was going through the hoops of getting approval to market it. The experimental trials showed certain results. That is all public knowledge. Each analyst has a different opinion as how the tests compare to existing tests on the market, what the regulatory agencies will do at each step of the approval process, and how medical insurance companies will cover or not cover the procedure, and whether a doctor will order this test or a competitors. All these different perceptions affect transactions and stock price. Uncertainty generates money.

No one knows what will happen until it happens. Only then will we be able to separate the winners from the losers.
  • Reply 92 of 128
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mpantone wrote: »
    It's about page views, not the accuracy of the news source nor the veracity of the declaration. Basically anything here at AI can be "breaking."

You seem to not understand that this is the way 21st century online media works.

Have you been using the Internet very long?
    Most of my questions are rhetorical, tbh. But it would be nice to see a rumor site buck the trend once in a while.
  • Reply 93 of 128
    wizard69 wrote: »
    A lot of possible reasons come to mind:
    1. they may want to try out new manufacturing methods before risking the entire product line.
    2. weight may be an issue even with aluminum.
    3. they may want to integrate technologies into the case rear that are substantially different than what they have planned for the smaller machine.
    4. the May be using additional RF bands that require different materials to implement additional antennas
    5. because.
    When I see things like this I really question the mental state of the person writing it. You assume that people choosing a smaller iPhone would see it as a compromise. As it is I already am seeing signs that the desire for massive cell phones is cooling rapidly, many would see a large phone as a compromise in and of itself. Let's face it the cell industry spent years shrinking cell phones from brick size to something that fits into the palm of your hand so I don't believe demand is what people think it is for these massive phones.
    Huh! IPAds are nicely appointed right now. I would expect better performance out of Air simply due to its size.
    My point about compromise was IF the 5.5" model has hardware or features not present in the 4.7" model. Then people who preferred the smaller device WOULD be forced to compromise, if, for example, the 4.7" screen wasn't sapphire, or the camera technology was better in the 5.5" model. That is something Apple did away with last year with the iPad. With the iPads now all one needs to care about is screen size. That's how I think it should be with iPhones. Only distinction I would make is specific software features that are better suited to a larger display or are more power hungry and would require a larger battery.

IF there is a 5.5" phone and it's the only one to get sapphire this year I hope it's because Apple is using that model as a test of new materials/manufacturing processes and NOT Apple using it as differentiation or to try and upsell people to that device. If they follow the iPad model, screen size should be the only differentiation. I have no interest in a phablet so if Apple makes the 4.7" model a lesser device I'll just keep my 5S and see what they do next year.
  • Reply 94 of 128
    ascii wrote: »
    I agree. It's not some random analyst making vague claims. It's an analyst with a good track record (the last being the prediction of the low cost iMac) making very specific claims. Of course no one can see the future, and Apple may very well have a breakthrough and solve these problems and launch both models in quantity. But I believe that, as of right now, he is in all likelihood correct.
    He also predicted a wearable device with a range of price points going over $1000 at the high end. Do you see that happening?
  • Reply 95 of 128
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Heh - "ANALyst" is getting almost as irritating as "First!"

Analysts reports are the stockmarket equiv of FIRST!

• Reply 96 of 128
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    If you disagree with me or with other posters, I'm cool with you.

If you rant on about how Samsung is great and Apple sucks, I'll tolerate you.

But if you fail to read, or totally misread, other poster's comments and then write your own that misrepresent what the other poster has communicated and go on to make nonsensical arguments, well, I simply have no patience for setting you straight and therefore must block you.

And the very first poster I feel compelled to block is... Wizard69. Sorry Wiz, you're out of the conversation.
  • Reply 97 of 128
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member

The clue is in their job title - Anal List

• Reply 98 of 128
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member

Is there a college course we can attend to become 'analysts' - just talk out your ass to the people, or is that politicians?

• Reply 99 of 128
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'm with you on #3, where Apple provides various size models and the 5.5 phased in after the initial roll out of the 4.7.

How about Apple take a page out of Samsung's playbook and introduce the 5.5" model one week before the Galaxy S6 announcement? (sometime around April 2015)

• Reply 100 of 128
    formosa wrote: »
    How about Apple take a page out of Samsung's playbook and introduce the 5.5" model one week before the Galaxy S6 announcement? (sometime around April 2015)
    Apple releasing new hardware outside of September and October? :wow: