Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo: Apple's 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' faces production issues, launch may be pushed to 2

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

He also predicted a wearable device with a range of price points going over $1000 at the high end. Do you see that happening?

I think his information comes from supply chain sources in East Asia. So when he claims knowledge of production delays I tend to believe him but when he claims knowledge of retail prices, not so much.

But quite apart from him, do I think Apple could release a > $1000 watch? Yes. It's no fun selling low margin products, it's much better to go after the top end of the market where you as a designer have the freedom to use expensive materials and make a no-compromises design.

• Reply 102 of 128
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I hope this is not true because the 5.5" is the one I want.
  • Reply 103 of 128
    Quote:

He also predicted a wearable device with a range of price points going over $1000 at the high end. Do you see that happening?

I dont think apple will be able to get away with anything above $500. Even at $500 is very expensive and better have some medical "want to have" function.

I ask around with people over the age of 50 and lots of folks would be interested in a watch with medical features.
  • Reply 104 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I hope this is not true because the 5.5" is the one I want.

Not sure why you’d get your hopes up for something that doesn’t exist.

• Reply 105 of 128
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe because he'd like an iPhone with a larger screen?

• Reply 106 of 128
    Quote:

Well technically the 4.7" doesnt exist either, both are rumors. But from my experience when parts start to leak around this time of year we have a good idea of whats coming. If they dont accounced a 5.5" at the event I could settle for the 4.7" but thats not my first choice.

A surprise that could happen because its impossible to predict with leak parts is Apple could announce 3 iphones models if they upgrade the 4" screen model with the lastest A8 chip and new features. in fact I would rather have them upgrade the 4" and cancel the iphone 5s and keep the 5c has the low cost model and be more aggressive with pricing on the 5C, something around the same price has the Nexus phone.
  • Reply 107 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Maybe because he'd like an iPhone with a larger screen?

Yeah, but there’s wanting and there’s expecting.

• Reply 108 of 128
    Quote:

I am expecting I will want... :p
  • Reply 109 of 128
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:

Apple releasing new hardware outside of September and October? image

If it's delayed into (early) 2015, why wait till Sep/Oct 2015? I say release it prior to Galaxy S6 announcement.

• Reply 110 of 128
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    Every year it's always the same BS rumors about delays. And every year sites post this nonsense.:lol:
  • Reply 111 of 128
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

[...] it makes no difference at all to me if it has Gorila Glass or Sapphire or some sort of lamination of the two. It simply isn't a check point with regards to my willingness to buy a iPhone this year.

Right. Check points:

Will it shatter if (when) I drop it? I care.

Will the screen be scratched by contact with objects and/or surfaces? I care.

Will the screen exhibit high brightness and contrast? I care.

Will colours have a natural appearance? I care.

Will the screen last several years before decaying? I care.

Will the screen be made of sapphire? Don't care. Why would I if the previous conditions are met? What matters is the quality of the product. HOW that quality is achieved is irrelevant.

• Reply 112 of 128
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ascii wrote: »
    I think his information comes from supply chain sources in East Asia. So when he claims knowledge of production delays I tend to believe him but when he claims knowledge of retail prices, not so much.

But quite apart from him, do I think Apple could release a > $1000 watch? Yes. It's no fun selling low margin products, it's much better to go after the top end of the market where you as a designer have the freedom to use expensive materials and make a no-compromises design.
    I'm curious what supply chain sources would leak stuff like this to an analyst. I'm assuming a suppliers relationship with Apple would cease to exist or at least not be very pleasant if Apple discovered they were leaking.
  • Reply 113 of 128
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    formosa wrote: »

If it's delayed into (early) 2015, why wait till Sep/Oct 2015? I say release it prior to Galaxy S6 announcement.
    You get no argument from me. I think Apple should try and have new hardware every quarter.
  • Reply 114 of 128
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slicksim View Post

There is a huge population of the world who use script based languages, which could use the extra space more effectively? Anyone got experience of this?

Is this why most of the people I see using giant phones are Asian? Is there a benefit to a larger screen when working with certain languages? I wouldn't know, being barely monolingual myself.

• Reply 115 of 128
    Quote:

Where does "hoping" fit in? The eyes squeezed shut, head tucked into shoulders, fists held tight to the point of shaking kind of hoping? The "Oh please oh please oh please!" kind of hoping? The it's Christmas Eve and I've been dropping hints about that Lego race car for months kind of hoping?

If I get up tomorrow and there's no 5.5" iPhone under the tree, I'm gonna be really disappointed. The "Tallest Grinch says there is no Santa Claus" kind of disappointed.

• Reply 116 of 128
    jamieljamiel Posts: 20member
    He's an analyst for a securities company making guesses like everybody else, so why does AI insist on calling him an "insider"?
  • Reply 117 of 128
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Maybe the thing is with these analysts...and where I can maybe give them a break...is they keep throwing a line out there expecting Apple to ACTUALLY RELEASE SOMETHING.

Apple is the one really falling short. More cash, more expertise, more capability than any other tech company, and come July of 2014 they've announced and released zero new products for the year. That which is expected TBA is the bare minimum.

AppleTV?

Mac mini?

iWatch?

What on other is going on? The better they do, the more they pull out. I don't understand it.

• Reply 118 of 128
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonl View Post

Standard rumor, part of the Apple product cycle rumor algorithm, which has been accepted as an ISO Standard, BTW. Move along, nothing to see here.

Steve may be dead but his Reality Distortion Field has been left drifting around the world like a weather balloon caught in the jet stream... lost spotted hovering over some Chinese dude.

So maybe the RDF wasn't actually his...or are you suggesting a ghost writer now? /s

• Reply 119 of 128
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Okay, let's just consider the past couple months. We've seen a stream of rumors, pictures, and even videos highlighting the front panel in the 4.7" size, with the credibility and realism growing steadily over time. When you see this type of progression it's a good sign of the existence of the underlying product and its pending release. It would not be a stretch to have high confidence at this point that a 4.7" iPhone is in production with the usual Sept introduction event and ship date. But throughout the last couple of months of building credibility in a 4.7" model, we've only heard peripheral noise about a 5.5" model. This suggests one of three possibilities, I'll list in order from least probable to most probable:

1. Apple is planning a 5.5" iPhone 6 and, unlike the 4.7" model which would use the same screen technology, the same metal and color process in its case, and the same sapphire technology in its front panel, Apple is inexplicably having difficulties with these on one model but not the other. I conjecture that the same basic technology would be used in both because that is simply what would make sense. Just as Apple added the A7 to the iPad mini and gave it the same pixel count as the Air (even though that means the less expensive mini is just as capable and has a higher pixel density than its larger, more expensive cousin). So this is the least probable scenario.

2. A more probable scenario, but still in my opinion not very probable, is that the 5.5" model is nothing but a rumor. Something that got added on by over zealous sources once evidence surfaced of the 4.7" model. The rumors traveled together and the growing validity of one carried the other along for the ride. But no concrete evidence has been shown, from my monitoring of the news, that a 5.5" model has been coming along in the production phases we have seen evidence for of a 4.7" model. It may simply be a rumor that found life in the shadow of validity the the 4.7" model has exhibited.

3. In my opinion, the most probable scenario is that there will be a 5.5" model but Apple always planned to phase it into production and into its release schedule following the 4.7" model. I believe Apple will introduce both at the same time, in September, then announce availability of the 4.7" model the following week and availability of the 5.5" model 'later in the calendar year' or 'by Christmas' for example. This would make a great deal of sense to me because Apple will need time to get to supply/demand balance on the 4.7" model (which will be the more popular of the two) but will want to avoid any potential backlash from customers that would occur if they didn't also announce that another model/choice were coming on the near horizon. (A customer who would prefer a phablet model should know one is coming so that he doesn't lock himself into a two-year contract with a 4.7" model having thought that was the only new model available.) This course of action may also capture some potential Samsung customers who will wait a few more months to get an iPhone phablet rather than purchasing the expected Galaxy Note 4 when it arrives in the fall. Apple will deliver a one-two punch to Samsung with this approach without fear of not being able to deliver on huge initial demand of two new iPhone models at the same time.

And this is a freaking seriously long message. Yup, an assay to be correct.

• Reply 120 of 128
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    **** these criminal analysts.

"Apple releasing 5.5" phone for this fall"

Apple has no plans to release 5.5" phone this fall, and never did.

"Apple 5.5" phone pushed back because of "production issues".

Assholes.

Also, I'm sure the new iPhone went through THOUSANDS of production issues- just like every iPhone. Thats what happens when you're pushing the envelope and building a much more complex phone than anyone else using new manufacturing techniques. As always, when it comes to launch, Apple tends to have these issues worked out. Thats how this shit works, no product development goes complete smoothly.