Apple's new PR chief may be former White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
A report on Monday revealed former White House press secretary Jay Carney is not only in the running to take on a job for a communications and public relations expert at Uber, but also for a similar role at Apple.

Former White House press secretary Jay Carney. | Source: WhiteHouse.gov

With Apple's longtime PR chief Katie Cotton now in retirement, Apple is on the prowl for a replacement and Carney is in the running for the position, reports Re/code.

According to the report, Carney is also being considered for a position at Uber, which is currently seeking a communications expert with political chops to help in its fight against the deeply entrenched taxi industry. During an interview earlier in May, Uber CEO Travis Kalanick infamously called the company's opponent "an asshole named Taxi."

Kalanick is now reportedly talking with high-profile political figures with a strong background in government to fill the communications role, which will apparently be key in uprooting the taxi industry and replacing it with upstart Uber.

As for Carney, the former Time Washington bureau chief recently stepped down as President Barack Obama's press secretary in June after having served three years in office. Prior to his time as press secretary, Carney served as head of communications for Vice President Joe Biden.

Apple has been without a head of PR since Cotton left the company in May after announcing her retirement earlier that month. At the time, it was speculated that either Steve Dowling or Natalie Kerris -- both of whom have been at Apple for more ten years -- would be Cotton's successor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 123
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    It's funny that I watched his face during his press briefings and I said he was going to retire soon. His face just could not hide his lying. I just hope Apple doesn't hire this putz.
  • Reply 2 of 123
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

(deleted)

• Reply 3 of 123
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    [QUOTE]whose name is also being bandied about for the other big job opening in tech PR, at Apple[/QUOTE]
    I hope this is just rumor mill BS and not something Cook is seriously thinking about. Presidential spokespersons are just political hacks. Those are the last kind of people Apple needs to be hiring.
  • Reply 4 of 123
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Holy F*cking Shit!

That damn liar?

I think that he truly sucks. The amount of lies and BS that he spewed every single day was unbelievable.

Why doesn't Apple just hire the former Iraqi propaganda minister? He was at least more funny to watch.

• Reply 5 of 123
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    This would not be a great hire...they should avoid even the inference of political affiliation (yeah, I get Gore is on the Board, but the board members are essentially invisible)
  • Reply 6 of 123
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    I certainly hope Apple is smart enough not to hire Jay Carney. He would be a terrible choice and it would be a negative for Apple. I would think he was lying every time he did a release.
  • Reply 7 of 123
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I was waiting for the ODS trolls to come out of the woodwork. Didn't take long.
  • Reply 8 of 123
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,843member
    No No No
  • Reply 9 of 123
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Tim must be drinking tap water. Even the fu**ing guy's name is CARNEY.

• Reply 10 of 123
    what do y'all know about if he would be a good or bad hire for Apple? Silly boys and girls. He was just doing his job at the white house and he actually did it well.. whether you are for or against the white house... if he does his job well, he may do a great job for Apple..

cast aside your biases and look at the experience he has and the CONNECTIONS...
  • Reply 11 of 123
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Holy F*cking Shit!

That damn liar?

At least I'm glad that he's white, so no dipshits here will be able to pull the race card, because I think that he truly sucks. The amount of lies and BS that he spewed every single day was unbelievable.

Why doesn't Apple just hire the former Iraqi propaganda minister? He was at least more funny to watch.

Right (no pun intended) on cue. Pavlov's dog comes to mind.

• Reply 12 of 123
    apple ][ wrote: »

+1 for Baghdad Bob. Though he seems more apt as a Samsung spokesman. "There are no iPhones being sold. Don't believe them."

But in reality, Carney is a terrible choice.
  • Reply 13 of 123
    But but but nobody else will take the job because of what Dr. Dre's music stands for. /s
  • Reply 14 of 123
    Apple might as well hire DED. ;)
  • Reply 15 of 123
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Castillo View Post

what do y'all know about if he would be a good or bad hire for Apple? Silly boys and girls. He was just doing his job at the white house and he actually did it well.. whether you are for or against the white house... if he does his job well, he may do a great job for Apple..

cast aside your biases and look at the experience he has and the CONNECTIONS...

I'm HOPING that's all sarcasm. The man helped cover up Benghazi. He got caught = he sucks at his job.

• Reply 16 of 123
    Please not this man-child twerp. How old is he? 12? He lies like a 12 year old, too.
  • Reply 17 of 123
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I vote for Baghdad Bob. He'd have more credibility than Jay Carney. :D
  • Reply 18 of 123
    Well, if Apple wants to go the spin and disingenuous schtick route, Carney is the perfect man for the job. However, if they want to continue doing business as an open and honest company that makes itself readily available to its customers, they need to look elsewhere.

Ray Castillo: Silly boy. Is that an admission that "the most transparent administration in history" was incapable of engaging the public without smokescreen and subterfuge?
  • Reply 19 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm HOPING that's all sarcasm. The man helped cover up Benghazi. He got caught = he sucks at his job.

Because there is nothing there. We've already had numerous investigations.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/06/opinion/kohn-benghazi-gop/

I remember when Reagan was President & 241 Marines were killed in Lebanon. Congress investigated more on the grounds of how can we stop this from happening again. Reagan decided to get out of Lebanon or cut & run in your vernacular. What's sad is how funding is cut to the Secretary of States budget by a certain party & then they try to place blame when the emabassy's lack the funding for the kind of security that may be needed.

• Reply 20 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I vote for Baghdad Bob. He'd have more credibility than Jay Carney. image

Maybe they should ask Dick Cheney he's an honest guy. /s :err: