Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 hits 90% ahead of next-gen iOS 8 release

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
After being available for ten months, Apple's iOS 7 is still growing and is now running on 90 percent of iPhones, iPads and iPods visiting the App Store, up from 87 percent in April.

Source: Apple

In an update to its developer webpage, Apple revealed 90 percent of devices visiting the iOS App Store over the seven-day period ending on July 13 were running a version of the latest iOS 7 mobile operating system.

The figures compare positively to results from April, with the uptick from 87 percent representing gains of about one percent per month.

The boost in iOS 7 adoption came at the expense of devices running Apple's last-generation iOS 6, the share of which dropped from 11 percent to 9 percent. As with April's results, iOS versions equal to or older than iOS 5 accounted for two percent of total devices in use.

While iOS 7's adoption rate has slowed since December, which saw 78 percent of active iPhones, iPads and iPods using the "flattened" OS, any growth is impressive considering the company is scheduled to release the next-generation iOS 8 this fall.

The updated OS comes with a number of improvements as well as new additions like smart home support via HomeKit, fitness framework HealthKit and integrated Health app, open APIs, app extensions and continuity features that support high-level interaction with Apple's upcoming OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

Apple is expected to debut iOS 8 alongside a redesigned iPhone lineup sometime in September with bigger 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch form factor handsets. According to KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the larger 5.5-inch version may not be ready to launch with the 4.7-inch variant due to complications with in-cell touch panels and the smartphones' metal casing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    New versions OS X adoption is pretty phenomenal too. I can just imagine the folks at Microsoft looking at the numbers for Windows XP users and banging their beds on the desk and asking, how does Apple do this?
  • Reply 2 of 64
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

New versions OS X adoption is pretty phenomenal too. I can just imagine the folks at Microsoft looking at the numbers for Windows XP users and banging their beds on the desk and asking, how does Apple do this?

It's a wee bit late for MS to be wondering about that, thanks mainly to Mr. Ballmer!

• Reply 3 of 64
    This is excellent. I was just starting to feel bad about myself again because I'm such a loser, but then this comes out and as a iPhone owner, I can feel superior for another night! Its going to be okay, I'm better than those Android people and their different versions! Yeah!
  • Reply 4 of 64
    jmz101jmz101 Posts: 9member
    I feel the same way!
  • Reply 5 of 64
    I'm a bit confused at the pie chart. Is it incorrectly displaying 101% total or just me?
  • Reply 6 of 64

I'm a bit confused at the pie chart. Is it incorrectly displaying 101% total or just me?

• Reply 7 of 64
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Says some analyst regarding 5.5" iPhone. We'll wait and see.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Now fix iOS 7.1.2. It's buggy as all get out. Not just me that's noticed either.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Wouldn't be the way they update and price would it(or the fact Xperia is preferred over 8).

As android is can someone name 10 devices that even support kitkat, or 10% of users? I like the idea that with android L users haft to wait 1-3 year after announcement of android L(or lollipop of what users will already call it) and buy a new device to use it.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Are there still any concern trolls left saying they (and everyone they know) is refusing to update to iOS 7?

2) I'd wager that remaining ?10% is from almost entirely from perfectly, but older devices that aren't able to be upgraded the 7th generation of iOS.

That's a different beast altogether so I don't think their adoption rates can be really be measured the same way just as MS' Windows OS sales can't be measured against Mac HW sales.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Great! Yep, looks like the overwhelming majority have embraced the "modern" Jony Ives design.

Unlike some of the "wet newspapers" (posters) who populate Ai! :)

As advanced as iOS6 was, (and it was wonderful) it looks like windows XP now compared to iOS7! :)

Best.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    As advanced as iOS6 was, (and it was wonderful) it looks like windows XP now compared to iOS7! :)

It didn't take long after moving to iOS 7 that iOS 6 looked archaic in comparison. It was definitely long overdue and despite MS' completely failure in making WinMo a viable option before Android was able to settle in they did do some great things, like moving to a cleaner UI once high-res displays were commonplace.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Meanwhile in Googleland – KitKat can't even hit 11% penetration...

While Android fans may think it's funny that Apple fans mock them on this number, it's not a superiority complex... it's a very real problem for developers. Why would I build the next best, cutting edge app if only 5-10% of the population can run it? Economically that doesn't make sense. Developers are then forced to code for the lowest common denominator which means less elegant code, more time testing and less time making cool stuff. This is precisely why many devs choose iOS first and then back into Android.

• Reply 14 of 64
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It didn't take long after moving to iOS 7 that iOS 6 looked archaic in comparison. It was definitely long overdue and despite MS' completely failure in making WinMo a viable option before Android was able to settle in they did do some great things, like moving to a cleaner UI once high-res displays were commonplace.

Yep, Solip, (I know u know this) Ives' rational was at the inception of the "touch" interface, the goal was to make the buttons look like tactile buttons, gloss, 3D, shadow, etc. But with mass adoption of iOS it was no longer necessary to "bring everyone along" as it were.

Anyway, best regards, bro! :)

P.S. I may have that apostrophe wrong. I just put them anywhere I feel like! :)
  • Reply 15 of 64
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Every time iOS receives a facelift, there are the rabid posters who claim they are going to buy Dells and Androids and burn their Apple gear. Why? Because of such extreme changes as an OS font change. Or...messages has a new Send button. It's crazy. Then I read that 90%+ are converted less than a year later. Obviously these haters don't actually do what they say they are going to do and probably secretly adapt and love the new changes.......

• Reply 16 of 64
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

As android is can someone name 10 devices that even support kitkat, or 10% of users?

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

KitKat is a .x release. If you look at version 4.x or higher, the adoption rate is pretty high at just over 85%.

-kpluck

• Reply 17 of 64
    kpluck wrote: »
    http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

KitKat is a .x release. If you look at version 4.x or higher, the adoption rate is pretty high at just over 85%.

-kpluck

The version numbers for Android are, unsurprisingly, less organized and structured as they are with iOS. Each new set of APIs is where the demarcation point should be, not the primary version number as Google doesn't seem to want to step their OS in a more reasonable fashion.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

The very first release of OS 7 was noticeably slower and not as smooth as OS 6, but that issue was rectified, and I like OS 7, though I am course looking forward to iOS 8.

• Reply 19 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Look at this damn mess. How many percent are on the latest 4.2, I can't make it out exactly from this chart, but it looks like 4 or 5 percent. How ridiculous.

• Reply 20 of 64
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    The fact that it is free and easy to get might have some role in high adoption rates.