Rumor: Apple solves alleged 'iPhone 6' battery issues with new supplier

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
Alleged problems plaguing the construction of ultra-thin batteries for Apple's next-generation iPhones have apparently been solved after the company brought a new manufacturing partner in Taiwan on board, according to a Tuesday report from Asia.

"iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" concepts by Martin Hajek.

Hsin Chu, Taiwan-based Simplo Technologies is said to have been able to craft batteries thin and flexible enough for the so-called "iPhone 6," a feat apparently not able to be matched by current suppliers Samsung and LG Chemical. The report comes via Taiwan's Economic Daily News and was noted by GforGames.

Reports that Apple's new 5.5-inch "phablet" may be delayed first surfaced in April. The device's design is said to call for a battery less than 2 millimeters tall, a significant reduction from the current generation.

Apple is widely expected to debut two new iPhone models this fall, both with displays larger than the current 4-inch unit found on the iPhone 5 series. The new handsets are also rumored to bring an "A8" application processor and a sapphire-covered display, though the latter is a hotly-debated prediction.

Initially thought to launch together, numerous reports have suggested that the 5.5-inch variant may face delays. Most recently, a report from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggested that the larger device could be pushed back to 2015 thanks to problems with the manufacturing of its metal casing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    chrisnhchrisnh Posts: 41member
    Why do they show a robins-egg blue iPhone 6 when no one has said anything about colors?
  • Reply 2 of 43

So an alleged problem has allegedly been solved?  Lets see how many more pitfalls we can drop the iPhone 6 in and pull it out the next day all without any real evidence of a problem or solution.  What a fun game we can all play!

As long as the phone releases in September as expected we'll never know if there even was a problem with the battery in the first place (or any of the other alleged issues).  

• Reply 3 of 43
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisNH View Post

Why do they show a robins-egg blue iPhone 6 when no one has said anything about colors?

Why not? After all, this is all rumor and conjecture, no one knows anything about the dimensions, construction or appearance of the next-generation handsets.

This photo is an artist's rendition and may be wildly incorrect with what actually ships. We have seen enough of these artist's renditions over the years and we shouldn't be assuming anything from one of these concoctions.

It's not like AppleInsider has a "better" iPhone 6 photo than this one.

Besides that, there is a robins-egg blue iPhone 5c, the one pictured about is a hypothetical  "iPhone 6c" if Apple continued with the same color offerings.

• Reply 4 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So an alleged problem has allegedly been solved?  Lets see how many more pitfalls we can drop the iPhone 6 in and pull it out the next day all without any real evidence of a problem or solution.  What a fun game we can all play!

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">As long as the phone releases in September as expected we'll never know if there even was a problem with the battery in the first place (or any of the other alleged issues).  </span>
    Pretty soon we'll get a rumor that the rumored delay of the rumored 5.5" model has been resolved. :D
  • Reply 5 of 43
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    The alleged problem with an allegedly forthcoming Apple product has allegedly been resolved, alleges AI.

Glad we've got that clarified.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Wouldn't this be three models ? If there showing renderings of a 6 and 6c but also talking about a 5.5 phablet , widely expected to debut 2 new models this fall seems like everything has been saying 2 sizes and 3 models if they continue the c line of phones
  • Reply 7 of 43

What does it really matter? There are multiple theories of what Apple is going to announce, how many different products, what colors, materials, construction, dimensions, time frame, et cetera ad nauseam. 

No single artist's rendition of vaporware is going to neatly encompass all existing theories of Apple next-generation mobile hardware.

Until Apple actually announces product, it's all rather silly guessing.

Just because some guy fires up Photoshop and cobbles up a pretty visual doesn't make it gospel.

The point is not to take these concocted images as anything to make a case for or against.

• Reply 8 of 43
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Regarding batteries would be nice if they could double battery life.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member

Simplo was able to solve a problem that Samsung and LG couldn't?

Since I don't know anything about manufacturing I don't know who any of the players are, but I've never heard of Simplo while Samsung and LG are obviously household names. Of course, the only reason I recognize the latter two names is because of their large selection of consumer products, so that may explain why I've never heard of Simplo, but it seems hard to imagine that the heavyweights, with their huge pools of resources, couldn't solve a battery issue while a company an average Joe like me has never heard of could.

Is this just a case of my ignorance of manufacturers skewing my perception, or does it seem implausible? Is Simplo especially well-equipped for battery manufacturing?

• Reply 10 of 43
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

This rumor was originally delayed by an alleged glitch in an algorithm used by a Taiwanese rumor generation firm, but the problem was rectified so this rumor was ultimately delivered on schedule.

• Reply 11 of 43
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Since I don't know anything about manufacturing I don't know who any of the players are, but I've never heard of Simplo while Samsung and LG are obviously household names. Of course, the only reason I recognize the latter two names is because of their large selection of consumer products, so that may explain why I've never heard of Simplo, but it seems hard to imagine that the heavyweights, with their huge pools of resources, couldn't solve a battery issue while a company an average Joe like me has never heard of could.

Is this just a case of my ignorance of manufacturers skewing my perception, or does it seem implausible? Is Simplo especially well-equipped for battery manufacturing?

It could just be that they've hit upon something new - a lot of the time small companies come up with something the larger ones haven't thought of (which is why Apple, Google et al buy them up).

• Reply 12 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Less than 2mm? Ambitious!

• Reply 13 of 43
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    herbapou wrote: »

Easy, double the thickness. Sacré bleu!
  • Reply 14 of 43
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Apple goes to more trouble than any other company on the planet to make its smartphones look beautiful. Then it makes them so thin, that the woeful battery life has become Samsung commercial. As a result, customers are forced to pay upwards of $150 for a useful but bland battery case like this one:

http://www.mophie.com/shop/iphone-5/space-pack-iphone-5s

I like Mophie cases. I used to have several of them. But why should I have to buy one to get the battery life I need on the go?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    My iPhone lasts 3 hours (usage) on iOS 7. Wouldn't it be great if they can double that so I might get to the end of the afternoon. Wouldn't that be innovation at its best?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Don't tell me about the pain, just show me the baby.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

The ability to innovate is not related to the size of the corporation. Small companies are often more nimble and are willing to take greater risks and make more ambitious designs in order to compete with industry stalwarts. Large companies are frequently hobbled by internal politics, complacency, over-aggressive bean counting, and bureaucratic bloat.

That's why we have startups. That's basically the true spirit of Silicon Valley, the belief that the IBMs, Fairchild Semis, Intels, and HPs of this world aren't able to come up with bold new ideas like little startups.

The main question here is whether or not Simplo has enough manufacturing capacity to supply its customers' needs.

I'm not sure if anyone here knows enough about the battery industry to make a informed opinion on the matter.

• Reply 18 of 43
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member

Hsin Chu, Taiwan-based Simplo Technologies is said to have been able to craft batteries thin and flexible enough....

Assuming any of this is correct, are batteries normally flexible? I've always thought they were pretty rigid components.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Any port in a storm...and just to be clear, I'm referring to this story, not Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Sure they could create a brick that was super thick and heavy. Then people would complain about Apple making their products thicker and heavier (like they did with the 3rd gen iPad).