Microsoft may announce biggest round of layoffs in company history this week - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

I would be panicking if I still hold MS stocks at this point. I don't see this company long term growth at all. Their pipelines are horrible. Their mobile business is nothing more than just playing catch up: phone, tablet, smartwatch...? Really? Windows 8 is a failure just like Vista...I would say: MS is doomed.

• Reply 42 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    I would be panicking if I still hold MS stocks at this point. I don't see this company long term growth at all. Their pipelines are horrible. Their mobile business is nothing more than just playing catch up: phone, tablet, smartwatch...? Really? Windows 8 is a failure just like Vista...I would say: MS is doomed.

Oddly enough you could have made a killing this year on the stock of a company in even worse shape than MS...

Blackberry. It's stock has performed better than Apple as a matter of fact. :err:
  • Reply 43 of 84
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member

It was an easy choice for me to make 25 years ago. I jumped to Apple products, and they just work for me. I have never lost data to an Apple product. Yes, there's been some rough spots (cough newton cough clones cough) but I appreciate the "it just works" concept.

I can't say that about anything from MS. They have never made a single product that I like or would personally select to buy. I was rather forced to buy Office for my Mac; but now I have many better options, and don't use it. I am forced to use MS products by my employer - mostly because I work for a government, and they have little sense of efficiency or vision.

A cow-orker told me she swore off Apple because "I had to buy a whole new iPod because I couldn't replace the battery." You know..some people just have preferences. I've just never understood some people's...particularly wrt MS design and execution.

• Reply 44 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The slow but inexorable slide into oblivion accelerates ...
  • Reply 45 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Oddly enough you could have made a killing this year on the stock of a company in even worse shape than MS...

Blackberry. It's stock has performed better than Apple as a matter of fact. image

You're talking about the last 2-3 months? The whole year looks pretty flat.

• Reply 46 of 84
    eightzero wrote: »

... A co worker told me she swore off Apple because "I had to buy a whole new iPod because I couldn't replace the battery." You know..some people just have preferences. .....

People that say stuff like that make you wonder if they even knew it was rechargeable! :D
  • Reply 47 of 84

And I'd say you'd be correct. :smokey:
  • Reply 48 of 84
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    Could be interesting. Finland isn't Washington state.

European / Scandinavian countries have much greater protection for employees. You have to at least "pay them out" based on years of service when you lay them off.

I'm seeing a big hit to Mr Softie's next quarter earnings...
  • Reply 49 of 84
    gatorguy wrote: »

Blackberry. It's stock has performed better than Apple as a matter of fact. :err:

Really?

I'll grant you, the Five Year graphs of BB & Apple are remarkably similarly shaped .... except in the reverse direction. :D
  • Reply 50 of 84
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    eightzero wrote: »

A cow-orker told me she swore off Apple

Hey! have some respect! she's just big boned!!
  • Reply 51 of 84
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Microsofts best bet IMO is to ditch their OS and go UNIX. Apple figured this one out in the early nineties. Hard pill to swallow, and no-one at MS will ever have the balls to do it.

• Reply 52 of 84
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I just visited the Verge and didn't see one story about Microsoft's potential layoffs. There was however a story about senator Cory Booker taking selfies with other senators. Wow is that site going downhill.

What does Cory Booker have to do with this article?

• Reply 53 of 84
    You're talking about the last 2-3 months? The whole year looks pretty flat.

Their stock started the year at $7.44, Today Blackberry is at $11.30 so do the math. That's around a 50% gain.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    Really?
    I'll grant you, the Five Year graphs of BB & Apple are remarkably similarly shaped .... except in the reverse direction. :D

... THIS year. :\
  • Reply 55 of 84
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Their stock started the year at $7.44, Today Blackberry is at $11.30 so do the math. That's around a 50% gain.

You picked the low point and the high point. Just a coincidence that the low point was at the beginning of the year.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

I don't really follow company's internal workings or politics anymore, I have to much happening in my life then to worry what some company does behind closed doors. I just care about the products they release. I like Microsoft now, I actually never really used Windows for personal use until recently. I always disliked the interface, specifically the command line as I spend most of the time there. Though after the release of Windows 8 I was curios so I bought a ThinkPad Tablet II and I liked it, actually really liked it. It was fast, intuitive despite the complaints to the crontray and it looked neat. Like anything, the first release had it's problems but they've been worked out for the most part. Now I have a shiny new Surface Pro 3, it's actually a very cool piece of gadgetry, again despite the negative comments.

I also think their cloud solutions are pretty fantastic, OneCloud and Office online are two things that I always have up. In fact I don't even use the installed version of Office anymore, I just have the web app icons from Google's app launcher to start them. It's actually a really neat thing, this Google app launcher, when it starts a web app it doesn't bring up the whole browser just a wrapper that looks like any other desktop app, so Office looks like it's installed, I know little things. I would say 80 percent of my apps are now web based, something I learned from my ChromeBook, there are some incredible apps online now. In fact if it wasn't for my music apps I would be completely cloud dependent.

I also use Windows 8.1 mobile on my Nokia 1020, it does everything that I want a phone to do, it's very fast, secure and stable, plus has one of the best integrated cloud functionality I have seen as of yet. Now that BBM has finally been released for it I'm complete. Ooooh talking about RIM, have you guys seen the new BlackBerry Passport, I must have it but I'm a sucker for a phone with a keyboard.

Microsoft might not be for everyone or specifically anyone from this forum but as a person who buys more tech in a year then most do in a life time, I know that their stuff isn't bad especially when compared to the sea of crap that's out there. I think sometimes you guys are just a little to on the snobby snide when it comes to none Apple company's or products.:p

BlackBerry Passport:

• Reply 57 of 84
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Microsofts best bet IMO is to ditch their OS and go UNIX. Apple figured this one out in the early nineties. Hard pill to swallow, and no-one at MS will ever have the balls to do it.

How would going with UNIX change anything, outside of Apple no one uses Unix in consumer products and Apple does everything it can to hide those underpinnings. The only reason why Apple went the direction they did was they were basically desperate, remember the whole Copeland debacle, using Next was a move of connivance. If Steve Jobs had sold Next before coming back to Apple, OSX would probably be of BeOS design, which it almost was despite Steve owning Next but Jean-Louis Gassée greed put a stop to that.

• Reply 58 of 84
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    bugsnw wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to be at MS right now. The low hanging fruit is a shiny, new OS that apparently looks and functions like Windows XP. If MS accomplishes this with Windows 9, they look like they are running towards yesterday. But they hang on to the enterprise market and can move a few more Office products.

It's hard to believe how they could have miscalculated so badly on mobile. A whole slew of nerds with no vision.

I just can't believe how bad Windows 8 is! Sure, like most I always thought it was probably a bad idea to mix tablet and laptop functionality, blah, blah, blah, but I had never actually tried to use it. That is, until my brother in-law bought his parents a Windows 8.1 laptop and my wife and I became their help desk.

It's an unfinished product! It reminds me of Windows Mobile 6.5 - a thin coat of touch-sensitive paint on all the same old stuff. Drill down past the top layer of settings and you're back in Control Panel applets. Certain web sites force IE into desktop mode because the new GUI doesn't support everything, and the Deaktop IE looks completely different. Half of the GUI controls don't provide mouse-over help. The mail client doesn't support gmail (more of a policy decision, I guess). I can't believe they bet their future on this, and I feel sorry for the engineers losing their jobs because of it - they didn't make this call.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra View Post

MS should start writing software for Apple or go back to it's ill-gotten roots MS-DOS.

Actually, MS has its roots in writing software for Apple, long before MS-DOS came into the picture.

• Reply 60 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

You may not know Microsoft already sold Unix, long before Apple/NeXT.

Quote:

Microsoft, which expected that Unix would be its operating system of the future when personal computers became powerful enough,[3] purchased a license for Version 7 Unix from AT&T in 1978,[4] and announced on August 25, 1980 that it would make it available for the 16-bit microcomputer market.[5]Because Microsoft was not able to license the "UNIX" name itself,[6] the company gave it an original name. Microsoft, in turn, did not sell Xenix directly to end users; instead, they licensed it to OEMs such as IBM,[7] Intel,[8] Tandy, Altos, SCO, and Siemens (SINIX) who then ported it to their own proprietary computer architectures.

The article goes on say Microsoft bailed on Xenix because eventually AT&T began selling Unix licenses directly, so Microsoft sent the Xenix development team to work on OS/2 with IBM. Microsoft started selling Xenix before MS-DOS, so they never really competed because they served different purposes. DOS was created for IBM's first PC.