Apple and IBM join forces in landmark push for iOS in enterprise

Comments

• Reply 101 of 249
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Did any of these so-called analysts see this coming?

When the man said he was doubling down on secrecy, he meant it.

NYT reports Apple and IBM have been "working together on the venture for several months, and they are jointly working on more than 100 business software programs developed exclusively for Apple's iOS operating system."

Maybe Eddy Cue wasn't exaggerating when he said the biggest product roll outs in 25 years.  Is Tim Cook setting exciting new directions and putting his stamp on this company or what?  Wonder what we'll be hearing from the Tim-Cook-has-no-vision crowd.

• Reply 102 of 249
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

The announcement does not mean much to the 'sub-average Joe' because it only directly impacts IBM employees including those who do business within the enterprise space, like myself.

IBM then creates consumer version of their enterprise apps. Apple uses enterprise knowledge to add features to iOS

• Reply 103 of 249
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member

What has been true? You didn't answer my kuestion. I'm still confused. Pardon my spelling but my K-(Kwerty) key is broken.

• Reply 104 of 249
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    gtr wrote: »
    At their first collaborative meeting IBM turned up to the boardroom at 1 Infinite Drive to find welcome pamphlets laid out on the table:

"Welcome, IBM. Seriously."

;)

Ha! I wonder how many, here, know the origin of that!
  • Reply 105 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I still say a partnership with IBM on their Watson A.I. to bolster (or replace) Siri would make a lot of sense.

You know Watson can only answer you in the form of a question, right? ;) 

• Reply 106 of 249
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You know Watson can only answer you in the form of a question, right? ;)  

How could that ever get annoying?¡

PS: I had an issue with Watson on Jeopardy. It was impressive but the human contestants had to firat visually read or listen to the answers before they could process the data whereas as Watson has neither a microphone nor camera. Instead Watson got the answers directly loaded into it. I'd like to see a rematch when Watson can use the same "senses" as the human contestants to play.
  • Reply 107 of 249
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

IBM then creates consumer version of their enterprise apps. Apple uses enterprise knowledge to add features to iOS

Do you honestly believe the consumer market will want or even care about Maximo, LSF and the ops related tools for SoftLayer and OpenStack? I don't see how the stuff I have used with/for IBM has mass appeal outside the IT enterprise space.

• Reply 108 of 249
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Douglas View Post

It's huge. I mean HUGE

HUGE

• Reply 109 of 249
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I couldn't be any more disappointed.  Dumping Aperture and joining up with IBM in the same month?  Is this why TBWA had to go? 

This will do nothing except tarnish the brand Apple worked so hard for so many years to build. 

:smh:

• Reply 110 of 249
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Probably not a coincidence that this was announced in the middle of Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference http://www.digitalwpc.com/Pages/Home.aspx

This will likely be the talk of that conference tomorrow.

• Reply 111 of 249
    rogifan wrote: »
    WOW.

This is a BIG deal. iOS already dominates enterprise use (for mobile) over Android, BB and MS. Now they're adding an 800lb gorilla to fill in the gaps and round out their enterprise offerings.

I'm also surprised that IBM is going to exclusively sell iOS devices to their enterprise customers.

I'm curious to know who all inside Apple has been involved with this. From what I saw on IBM's website a lot of these applications were co-designed by Apple and IBM. Plus it sounds like some of this stuff will be announced this fall. Maybe we will hear about it at an Apple event announcing an "iPad Pro". Hmm...

Likely, one of the early extensions to Swift will be a CICS integration.

When I worked at IBM providing maket support for CICS installations ... Some, at the time, said CICS stood for: Consistantly Ignore Customer Satisfaction :D
  • Reply 112 of 249
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I figured it out: Mac OS/2¡

(not gonna read all the posts so sorry if someone already posted that)
  • Reply 113 of 249
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Nah… but Apple will change their Lightning cables to Token Ring.

I think you forgot the sarcasm tag on that...
  • Reply 114 of 249
    071514071514 Posts: 1member
    Goodbye, Mr Gates. See if there is a glass shop that could fix your broken windows. You have finally painted yourself into a corner; how sad...
  • Reply 116 of 249
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    deegee48 wrote: »
    About that pipeline....Now we KNOW that there WILL BE an iPad Pro!

IOS has so much potential I don't think people grasp why more devices would be successful. Given that the biggest issue Apple has to address is included RAM in iOS devices, more RAM will make professional apps that much better and in some cases feasible. More flash wouldn't hurt either.
  • Reply 118 of 249
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I figured it out: Mac OS/2¡

(not gonna read all the posts so sorry if someone already posted that)

That's iOS/2 ... LOL

• Reply 119 of 249
    rogifan wrote: »
    WOW.

This is a BIG deal. iOS already dominates enterprise use (for mobile) over Android, BB and MS. Now they're adding an 800lb gorilla to fill in the gaps and round out their enterprise offerings.

I'm also surprised that IBM is going to exclusively sell iOS devices to their enterprise customers.

I'm curious to know who all inside Apple has been involved with this. From what I saw on IBM's website a lot of these applications were co-designed by Apple and IBM. Plus it sounds like some of this stuff will be announced this fall. Maybe we will hear about it at an Apple event announcing an "iPad Pro". Hmm...

One of the early extensions to Swift could be a CICS interface!

When I worked for IBM providing technical market support for CICS, some said that CICS (Customer Information and Control System) was, in reality an acronym for Consistently Ignore Customer Satisfaction :D

Ben Riggins is BALR 13ing in his grave :D :D
  • Reply 120 of 249
    solipsismx wrote: »
    gqb wrote: »
    Please, god... don't let there be Lotus Notes on the iPad.

Nah… but Apple will change their Lightning cables to Token Ring.

Boo, hiss