NFL Sunday Ticket coming to iOS, Mac for 2014 season with no satellite subscription needed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    yuniverseyuniverse Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

News flash: OSX isn't iOS

There is nothing you can't mirror from a Mac.  Of course you wouldn't mention that you can mirror from Mac to ATV- Both devices he has currently.  Instead, you'll spout off Chromecast as a "cheap" alternative- as if anyone wants that garbage on this forum.

Shoo Fly- don't bother us.

Also, you can mirror anything from any iOS devices if you also have AppleTV.  It's not a "pure" Airplay, but it works just the same.  Just turn on the "mirroring" on Airplay setting and you're good to go.

• Reply 22 of 74
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    andysol wrote: »
    News flash: OSX isn't iOS
    There is nothing you can't mirror from a Mac.  Of course you wouldn't mention that you can mirror from Mac to ATV- Both devices he has currently.  Instead, you'll spout off Chromecast as a "cheap" alternative- as if anyone wants that garbage on this forum.
    Shoo Fly- don't bother us.

Do you get bonus points for every insult you deliver? If so you're making a killing. If you had bothered to read my post at all before spouting off you would have seen these as the first 5 words:
    "If it's not Airplay compatible".

You get your dander up much too easily.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    yuniverse wrote: »
    Also, you can mirror anything from any iOS devices if you also have AppleTV.  It's not a "pure" Airplay, but it works just the same.  Just turn on the "mirroring" on Airplay setting and you're good to go.

The articles author was unsure on that point.

"There is no word yet on whether subscribers will be able to use Apple's AirPlay technology to stream games on their television from an iOS device. Current versions of the Sunday Ticket app are not AirPlay-enabled, but it is possible that the new subscription packages will change that."
  • Reply 24 of 74
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    As usual the deal breaker is the 'out-of-market' clause. 
  • Reply 25 of 74
    yuniverseyuniverse Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The articles author was unsure on that point.

"There is no word yet on whether subscribers will be able to use Apple's AirPlay technology to stream games on their television from an iOS device. Current versions of the Sunday Ticket app are not AirPlay-enabled, but it is possible that the new subscription packages will change that."

Actually, even if the app isn't Airplay compatible, you can "force" mirroring (which means anything on your iOS screen is displayed on your TV through AppleTV) on your TV.  The resolution is usually not as good as pure AirPlay, but you get the idea.

• Reply 26 of 74
    eightzero wrote: »
    Sweet mother of god. Never thought I'd live to see the day.

Yes, airplay most important; and/or a AppleTV app. The list of supported devices link isn't accessible. I wonder if AppleTV is behind there?

Clicking on the 'supported devices" link gives this.

iPad
    iPad (iOS v5.1.1 or higher)
    iPad 2 (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
    iPad 2 3G (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
    iPad 3 (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
    iPad 3 3G (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
    iPad 4 (iOS v7 or higher)
    iPad Mini (iOS v6.1.3 or higher)
    iPhone
    iPhone 3GS (iOS v5 and above)
    iPhone 4 (iOS v5.1and above)
    iPhone 4S (iOS v6.1.3 and above)
    iPhone 5 (iOS v6.0.2 and above)
    iPod (iOS v5.0.1 and above)

Kindle
    Kindle Fire HD 7", 8.9" and 10"
    Kindle Fire HDX
    Microsoft XBOX Microsoft XBOX 360
    Microsoft XBOX One
    Sony Playstation
    Sony PS3
    Sony PS4

System Requirements for PC For the optimal NFL SUNDAY TICKET Online experience, you will need the following: Computer operating system: Windows 2000, XP, Vista or Mac OS X v.10.4.10 or v.10.5 or later.

Computer hardware:
    Windows: Intel® Pentium® 2.0 GHz or faster processor, 512 MB of RAM; 32 MB video RAM, 16 bit sound card and speakers; 65k video display card; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or Windows XP SP2 or Vista

Macintosh: PowerPC® G4 1.8GHz GHz or faster processor or Intel Core" Duo 1.33GHz or faster processor; 256 MB RAM; 32 MB video RAM; Mac OS X v.10.4.10 or v.10.5 (Intel or PowerPC)

Internet connection: at least 360 kbps

Additional software:
    Download and install Adobe's Flash Player 10
  • Reply 27 of 74
    yuniverse wrote: »
    Actually, even if the app isn't Airplay compatible, you can "force" mirroring (which means anything on your iOS screen is displayed on your TV through AppleTV) on your TV.  The resolution is usually not as good as pure AirPlay, but you get the idea.

Thanks. Both a helpful and polite response.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    theaudtheaud Posts: 3member
    I'm not so sure this is really available to everyone. From their FAQ:

At this time, NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV is available to people in select areas, residence types, and enrolled in select universities. To find out if you're eligible to purchase it, visit NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV and click Get Started.

I put in a few addresses and none are eligible.

This seems to be the same as its been the past few years.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I don't have a cable subscription but I add Uverse to my internet package during the 4-5 months of football season. So $199 isn't bad. Also curious what the student discount will be.

The unfortunate thing; however, is it blacks out local teams. That's the only reason I don't subscribe to MLBTV.

For $200 you should have access to every sport under the sun.

• Reply 30 of 74
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

Without either AirPlay or an Apple TV "channel", this is dead in the water. Imagine inviting your friends over to watch the games and then having to huddle around an iPad.

• Reply 31 of 74
    bucknbnbucknbn Posts: 6member
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    I don't watch much sports so excuse the ignorance but is this a good deal? $199 sounds like a lot for just one section of tv watching.

I don't like it either, but now people are going to start understanding why "a-la-carte" cable TV is a bag of hurt. I never watch most of the channels in my cable package, but the people who do are subsidizing the channels I watch. And vice versa. Again, there's got to be a better way, but for all the people claiming to want to "only pay for the channels I watch," well, be careful what you wish for.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

What is a difference between World Cup Final and Super Bowl?

One is watched for the game, the other - for commercials :)

• Reply 33 of 74
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

Ok….Why isn't airplay allowed to work with some apps? What is the big deal? Why, why, why would it be any different watching content on my 4 inch iPhone screen or beaming it to my 70" TV ?

• Reply 34 of 74
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    What a racket the NFL's got going, but people just keep forking the money over.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    theaudtheaud Posts: 3member

I don't think this is anything new.  In past years, Sunday Ticket has been available online to those who cannot get satellite service.

From their FAQ on this page:

"At this time, NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV is available to people in select areas, residence types, and enrolled in select universities. To find out if you're eligible to purchase it, visit NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV and click Get Started."

I put in my address and a few others and none are eligible.  Unfortunately, it appears nothing has changed.

• Reply 36 of 74
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Consider that ESPN adds over $6 per month per cable subscriber (so $72 a year) and EPSN only carries 18 or so games.

$4/game

NFL Season Ticket: $199 (basic package) 256 games - blacked out locals = 240

$0.83/game

decent savings, no?

Personally, i don't care about sports enough to get more than is available OTA (except for MotoGP, which already allows me to purchase the season) but for someone who loves the NFL, it is not too shabby.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alex101 View Post

...Good to be a non-US citizen I guess. 

yes it is.

negotiations between the NFL and the likes of Comcast and Time Warner cable are always interesting - behemoth corporations with too much profits fighting to control content and competitors.

• Reply 38 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

What a racket the NFL's got going, but people just keep forking the money over.

At least the NFL pays the athletes they make billions off of.

Imagine what it is like to be your average college football player who is required to practice/train 40+ hours a week and receive a yearly scholarship worth < $50,000 a year (at most schools) while the NCAA makes billions off you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/opinion/nocera-unionized-college-athletes.html

• Reply 39 of 74
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sandor View Post

At least the NFL pays the athletes they make billions off of.

Imagine what it is like to be your average college football player who is required to practice/train 40+ hours a week and receive a yearly scholarship worth < $50,000 a year (at most schools) while the NCAA makes billions off you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/opinion/nocera-unionized-college-athletes.html

Yea the free education, free room and board, free food, free tutoring, free workouts and medical attention, free per diem pocketed money on road trips and the free gifts at bowl games are such a rip off! Not to mention, these guys don't have student loans and make more connections than any other normal student for post football careers. They sure are being taken advantage of!

• Reply 40 of 74
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I don't watch much sports so excuse the ignorance but is this a good deal? $199 sounds like a lot for just one section of tv watching.

That's about $12.44 per week, and even less if the package includes all playoff games.  (Not sure about that.)  That's really not too much if you are a fan.  You aren't a fan, so of course it sounds like a waste of $$$ to you.  Anyhow...

Die-hard NFL fans are going to get their games one way or another.  This means die-hard NFL fans (who don't have satellite TV) don't have to go to a sports bar to watch all their games, where they invariably spend upwards of $50 per week on expensive beer and food they don't need.  Beer and food at home are much cheaper.  For some people, such as myself, this would absolutely be a good deal.

Thompson