NFL Sunday Ticket coming to iOS, Mac for 2014 season with no satellite subscription needed

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    AppleTV isn't listed and I really hope they add it, it would be foolish not to
  • Reply 42 of 74
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

That's about $12.44 per week, and even less if the package includes all playoff games.  (Not sure about that.)  That's really not too much if you are a fan.  You aren't a fan, so of course it sounds like a waste of $$$ to you.  Anyhow...

Die-hard NFL fans are going to get their games one way or another.  This means die-hard NFL fans (who don't have satellite TV) don't have to go to a sports bar to watch all their games, where they invariably spend upwards of $50 per week on expensive beer and food they don't need.  Beer and food at home are much cheaper.  For some people, such as myself, this would absolutely be a good deal.

Thompson

This will not include playoff games because they are nationally televised and considered "in market" games. And since the NFL runs for 17 weeks it's actually 11.76 per week.

• Reply 43 of 74
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

This will not include playoff games because they are nationally televised and considered "in market" games. And since the NFL runs for 17 weeks it's actually 11.76 per week.

Thanks for the clarification.

Still a reasonable price to pay if one is a big fan of the game.

Thompson

• Reply 44 of 74
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    mike1 wrote: »
    huddle around an iPad.

NFL team's future play book.
    (sorry blackberry)
  • Reply 45 of 74
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

currently the app supports airplay... at least as it stands now you can play highlights from last year's games. 

Using safari I am unable to click on the "check my eligibility" button - its always grayed out.  Anyone else have this problem?  Chrome will let me click it.

• Reply 46 of 74
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Absolutely no interest in this but I do like to see anything being sold unbundled to cable/sat. Now if we could just get a few channels like AMC/HBO/Sho to be sold that way.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I don't have a cable subscription but I add Uverse to my internet package during the 4-5 months of football season. So $199 isn't bad. Also curious what the student discount will be.

The unfortunate thing; however, is it blacks out local teams. That's the only reason I don't subscribe to MLBTV.

And this is why this whole thing is DOA for me and I suspect most other people. The 'out-of-market' clause ensures that nobody who lives in the same city or region where their team is located will not be able to use the service. $200.- for watching other teams when all I'm really interested in is my local team? Yeah right.

• Reply 48 of 74
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    j1h15233 wrote: »
    Yea the free education, free room and board, free food, free tutoring, free workouts and medical attention, free per diem pocketed money on road trips and the free gifts at bowl games are such a rip off! Not to mention, these guys don't have student loans and make more connections than any other normal student for post football careers. They sure are being taken advantage of!

college gymnastics players get all of that too, and bring no money in to the school and NCAA. football and basketball allow the NCAA billions of dollars in profit.
    the college athletic system is broken, and it is the NCAA's fault

and players don't get gifts - it is against NCAA rules, and will cause them to lose "amateur" status.

NCAA, like FIFA, is a corrupt organization that needs a brighter light shone on it.

...did you know the average life expectancy of an NFL player is 55?
  • Reply 49 of 74
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    sandor wrote: »
    college gymnastics players get all of that too, and bring no money in to the school and NCAA. football and basketball allow the NCAA billions of dollars in profit.
    the college athletic system is broken, and it is the NCAA's fault

and players don't get gifts - it is against NCAA rules, and will cause them to lose "amateur" status.

NCAA, like FIFA, is a corrupt organization that needs a brighter light shone on it.

...did you know the average life expectancy of an NFL player is 55?

Haha to they don't get gifts. Do a quick google search on that one. Every bowl game gives the players some kind of gift.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Not sure why everyone is acting like this is brand new -- this was available last year (I had it with the Madden package you could purchase off of Amazon). There was a big problem with the product, as the "live" stream of the games was a solid minute behind real time. Not a huge deal, but when the app has a score ticker that pops up whenever a team scores, it would basically spoil every score. Hopefully they fix this.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

I distinctly remember trying to mirror from my MBA to the AppleTV to watch an iTunes Extra clip. I bought a movie with "extras" and it just wouldn't mirror or play on the AppleTV no matter what I did (short of plugging in with a HDMI adaptor and cord into the TV.) I think this was fixed within the last few days. Haven't tried it.

$200 is a bit steep. But, I might buy it just to support this kind of thing. The Holy Grail of content is the ala carte options. I want to see more choices, more options, more bang for my buck. Shocking hunh?

• Reply 52 of 74
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Without Airplay this does not interest me. Also it would be nice to be able to buy individual games or weeks. As a Bronco fan many of the Bronco games will be national or west coast broadcast games. I would rather pay for just those that are not. I guess if you are a Raiders or Jaguars fan this could be a good deal. I find the tone of the article humorous, like this is the best thing since sliced bread.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    thompr wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification.

Still a reasonable price to pay if one is a big fan of the game.

Thompson

The ones that will most certainly get this are the fantasy football players.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Haha to they don't get gifts. Do a quick google search on that one. Every bowl game gives the players some kind of gift.

you miss the point entirely. 

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

billions of dollars. ($10 billion a year just in advertising)

tens to hundreds of millions of dollars per school

every year.

• Reply 55 of 74
    This is a little misleading....

"Now you can stream live, out-of-market NFL games on your favorite device without a DIRECTV satellite TV subscription if you live in an apartment building where DIRECTV service is not available, attend one of these universities, or live in the following metro areas: New York City, Philadelphia, or San Francisco. Check your eligibility."

I bet most will not qualify for this.
  • Reply 56 of 74

the article left out one important part about this deal. This was copied from the website.

Introducing NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV

Now you can stream live, out-of-market NFL games on your favorite device without a DIRECTV satellite TV subscription if you live in an apartment building where DIRECTV service is not available, attend one of these universities, or live in the following metro areas: New York City, Philadelphia, or San Francisco. Check your eligibility.

Couldn't find anything about these terms changing.

• Reply 57 of 74
    go4d1go4d1 Posts: 34member

Ballmer  bought the Clippers Basketball team ... Is he going to try & prove something? The Motley Fool think Cable is history.  Quality programming is going to the internet.

flyoutmenu.com

• Reply 58 of 74
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The ones that will most certainly get this are the fantasy football players.
    Exactly.
    And those of us who don't live "in market" for our teams.
    Someone said they wish there were single game options--I expect that will happen eventually. But it will be so expensive that it will seem ridiculous. Personally, not being a fantasy guy, I would love a single team option--it doesn't have to be 1/32nd of the price, I would happily pay half for just 14 games (2 in market when they play the locally).
  • Reply 59 of 74
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

And this is why this whole thing is DOA for me and I suspect most other people. The 'out-of-market' clause ensures that nobody who lives in the same city or region where their team is located will not be able to use the service. $200.- for watching other teams when all I'm really interested in is my local team? Yeah right.

I know.  Its the one "flaw" in this cutting the cord mess.  These little independent stations of big companies buy up all the exclusive rights.

Fox Sports Southwest has 3 of the 4 major Dallas teams exclusivity- the Mavericks, Stars, and Rangers.  Fox/CBS/NBC/NFL/ESPN have NFL.  TNT has playoffs for NBA.  NBC has Soccer (futbol), etc, etc.  Unless they get their own app (they won't)- I'm screwed with my sports watching.  Luckily, the Rangers have sucked so bad this year, I'm not missing anything ;)

I'd actually pay $300-400 for just my 4 local sports teams- But I can't get that option.  You suck television!

• Reply 60 of 74
    robrobrobrob Posts: 2member
    Read it again. You left out this part, just below the fold:

"Now you can stream live, out-of-market NFL games on your favorite device without a DIRECTV satellite TV subscription if you live in an apartment building where DIRECTV service is not available, attend one of these universities, or live in the following metro areas: New York City, Philadelphia, or San Francisco."

This means that, excluding the locations above, if DirecTV is available in your area then nflsundayticket.tv is only available WITH a satellite subscription. I entered my own address to check my eligibility (I've had DirecTV service at my house before) and I can't get this service without an additional DirecTV subscription.