Samsung brings premium 'Level' headphone and speaker lineup stateside to battle Apple's Beats

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member

You're kidding right?

• Reply 42 of 102
    tastowe wrote: »
    Oh good grief samsung. I am not agree with Samsung did. I think the samsung are spying to United States by their samsung smartphone because the North Korea. So I am not to buy samsung products that is final.

Quit it with the bad "Engrish" grammar: you're not fooling anyone.
  • Reply 43 of 102
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    freediverx wrote: »
    Look at the wide, flat plastic headband.

Only the top of it as the padded and textured bottom side has no resemblance whatsoever to any Beats headphone IMO. No fan of Samsung myself but I don't see the design as a rip-off of Beats. The market focus and model line-up? Yeah, maybe.
  • Reply 44 of 102
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    My gosh, they're not even -attempting- to look original this time.
  • Reply 45 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    When I read about this earlier today I thought it was a new "copycat" product that Samsung brought out after the Apple/Beats deal. I was mistaken. The Level series was introduced back in April, prior to any Beats purchase rumor. The news today was simply that the product will now be available in the US too. My bad.

From an April review:
    "The Level Over is clearly the flagship: big, cushiony over-the-ear cans with a padded headband. I found them very comfortable. The outside faces of the headphones are touchpads; you stroke them to change the volume or pause the music. They pair with other devices by NFC (tap to pair), they have active noise cancellation, and they work in Bluetooth lossless Apt-X or wired modes. The headphones have 30 hours of Bluetooth battery life with noise cancellation off.
    Samsung made a big deal about its 50mm neodymium driver, which it says provides "more natural" sound. The sound was rich, absorbing, and didn't overly play up the bass. My notes include the words "bell-like" and "crystalline." Are these nice headphones? You bet. Price will be very relevant."

You are sooooo transparent!
  • Reply 46 of 102
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    bwana_dik wrote: »
    Samsung and Beats are both fashion accessories. Neither is about "premium sound." They're just designed to make the wearer look cool.

The iPhone was a crappy phone* until iPhone 5.

Didn't stop people from buying them, did it? It sure made them look cool...

*(I owned 3GS, 4 & 5. 5 is a great phone. The others were nice miniature computers and music players)
  • Reply 47 of 102
    chandrachandra Posts: 26member
    Reacting willy nilly to everything Apple does is not a good strategy in the long run. Microsoft made the same mistake.
  • Reply 48 of 102
    They are just too funny, never an original idea from those guys. I'm not holding my breath for Scammy to copy Apple's energy strategy but I am waiting for them to announce they are partnering with a major database and server company since the Apple /IBM deal. I guess they could cozy up to Oracle .... oh ... then again perhaps not.
  • Reply 49 of 102
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    I won't consider Beats an Apple product till Jony Ive designs a set.
  • Reply 50 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Look at the wide, flat plastic headband.

Good point, it does look similar. The padding on the speaker housing looks similar as well. I was focusing more on the outer speaker housing part of the headphones. I guess it has copied some aspects but not others, do we know where they copied the outer speaker housing from?

edit: forgot the quote

• Reply 51 of 102
    chandra wrote: »
    Reacting willy nilly to everything Apple does is not a good strategy in the long run. Microsoft made the same mistake.

True that, it served them well for thirty years. it was only when they finally tried to go it alone and be original in Mobile did Microsoft fall flat on their faces
  • Reply 52 of 102
    arlor wrote: »

I bet he is already working on that. Not that Apple bought Beats for their head phones but luckily Scamsung reads AI and came to believe they did. :D
  • Reply 53 of 102
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    vaporland wrote: »

*(I owned 3GS, 4 & 5. 5 is a great phone. The others were nice miniature computers and music players)

Everyone copied the iPhone for a reason. I'm still waiting for a good droid.
  • Reply 55 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cpsro wrote: »
    The original Beats designs were (IMHO) ugly and obnoxious, but the latest models look and sound good. Critics are loath to give the company a second glance, preferring instead to continue the old carp.

There is a huge divide between the original Beats and their latest offerings. They've had many years of classy designs. I posted many examples back when this the acquisition was just a rumour. As for sound, I have only read a few reviews. Certainly not from all the dozens of headphone models they offer. I read that the new Beats Solo 2 have reduced the bass considerably but I have neither tested them nor read an extensive review.
  • Reply 56 of 102

OMG!

Samsung SO copied Apple because Apple got Beats and then Samsung copied them because Samsung never would have made headphones until Apple bought Beats.

Beats headphones are SOOOO much better than Samsung Headphones cause Dr Dre is awesome and they are SOOO COOL cause Apple is COOOL.

Samsung just copied Apple and Dre and Beats and would have NEVER made headphones of the high Dre Quality.

I'm SOOO happy I'm an Apple buyer!  If I was a Samsung nerd I'd feel SOOO loser now!

HAHAHAH  APPLE RULES YOU SAMSUNG LOSERS!

• Reply 57 of 102

Weren't these shown months ago? Why is it news now?

Personally I think they look over the top, but I'm not a fan of the look of Beats headphones either - both look like cans only kids who dream about growing up to be rappers or in the UFC wear.

Hopefully Apple can help Beats actually make decent headphones - their newest ones seem notable only for not sucking for the price. I recently was looking for new headphones for work and was able to buy a set of Sennheiser Momentums in ivory for $220. I  compared them against a bunch of headphones - IMO sounded way better than the Beats and I much preferred the toned down look.

• Reply 58 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    arlor wrote: »
    I wonder if he's thinking "Jesus Christ Tim do I really have to do this?" :lol:
  • Reply 59 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

That's strange. My original iPhone, 3 and 3G were all great phones as far as phones go. I think the later phones are worse.

• Reply 60 of 102
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    freediverx wrote: »
    No no... they'd call it the GMW i328. Then they'd make a higher performance variant called the 3M.

As a car enthusiast, I got your rather clever joke. ;)

Kudos!