1,800 mAh battery for Apple's 'iPhone 6' purportedly shown off in new photos

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Batteries said to be destined for Apple's next-generation. 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" appeared on the internet Thursday, seemingly lending credence to recent whispers that the company would bump the handset's battery capacity to 1,800 mAh from the iPhone 5s's 1,500 mAh unit.

The pictured parts bear a capacity rating of 1,810 mAh and appear to be manufactured by Desay Battery, a supplier previously rumored to have been certified by Apple for the iPhone 6. French blog nowhereelse.fr was first to publish the snapshots, which appear to come from sources in China.

Not clear from the photos is the batteries' physical dimensions, which is said to have caused a great deal of pain for Apple in the run-up to manufacturing. The company is thought to have had trouble when attempting to slim the parts down by some 30 percent, a reduction reportedly required for the design of Apple's next-generation handsets.

At least one report from earlier this week suggested that Apple may have solved that dilemma, though the company said to have come through with the solution is Taiwan-based Simplo Technology.

If legitimate, the 1,810 mAh battery in the iPhone 6 would give the handset one of the smallest power reserves in its class. Motorola's own 4.7-inch Moto X, in comparison, packs a 2,200 mAh battery.

A corresponding part for the anticipated 5.5-inch "phablet" iPhone variant was not pictured, though that device is expected to sport a 2,500 mAh unit. Both models are likely to bring upgraded internals, possibly including additional

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    Somebody on the inside is feeding that French blog exclusives.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    A corresponding part for the anticipated 5.5-inch "phablet" iPhone variant was not pictured, though that device is expected to sport a 2,500 mAh unit.
    Because it doesn't freakin' exist!
  • Reply 3 of 58
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    Given the larger size this new battery should be good enough to make it till noon if one stays off YouTube.

And I'm sure Apple will brag about having the thinnest phone in its class.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    We all know that iOS devices are more energy efficient than their Android counterparts (leaner OS, custom chip design, etc). So it's not necessarily a bad thing that the battery is smaller. My minivan has a 20 gallon tank and my VW GTI has a 15 gallon tank. Both can go the same distance. It's just that one is a whole lot more fun to drive :)
  • Reply 5 of 58
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Somebody on the inside is feeding that French blog exclusives.

Supply chain leaks are notoriously unreliable. The French blog has posted some accurate images before, but they have also posted misses. There's no way to tell until the product comes out.

We have ample history on supply chain leaks. There is no single reliable individual for leaking parts; that would likely draw eventual suspicion anyhow. 

In this case, there's nothing that directly ties this battery to the next-generation iPhone. It's just a battery. It could easily be destined for a competitor's device.

Saying that "somebody on the inside is feeding ___ exclusives" is meaningless when it comes to supply chain rumors because by definition, they are all on the inside. We just don't know which inside and for what product. Even a shot of a running iDevice is highly suspect since iOS screens can be easily faked.

Do not take supply chain leaks as a reliable source of information.

• Reply 6 of 58
    shevshev Posts: 84member
  • Reply 7 of 58
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Comparing batteries between mobile devices is problematic. Even on a single platform such as Android the same battery capacity leads to various models having quite different runtimes.

Indeed we can't even estimate that there will be a 20% lengthening in battery time overall, as cellular and cpu chipsets become more efficient with each iphone revision we could see more than a 20% leap in standby time. Plus apple have done wonders on the software side with the new efficiencies afforded by swift and metal. The real unknown is the screen, larger screens do draw more power, but there are newer efficiencies and good software strategies for addressing that concern as well.

In short, we can't really say much about the new iPhone's various battery metrics until the battery is in situ.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

Given the larger size this new battery should be good enough to make it till noon if one stays off YouTube.

Or three days for people that are employed.

• Reply 9 of 58
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shev View Post

More of the same it seems, oh joy

What the hell do you do? I'm at 95% capacity with 1 hr 1 min of usage

• Reply 10 of 58
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

This is worrying, there are phones out there which is as slim as the iPhone 6 ( if it is 7mm ) and offers even larger battery capacity. I know it depends on software etc... But purely on technical spec, this doesn't sounds good.

• Reply 11 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

What the hell do you do? I'm at 95% capacity with 1 hr 1 min of usage

93%, 36 minutes usage, 3:01 hours standby. Low-Moderate cell reception, solid WiFi, Bluetooth enabled. Email, web surfing, maps and traffic and weather...

iPhone 5s

• Reply 12 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

This is worrying, there are phones out there which is as slim as the iPhone 6 ( if it is 7mm ) and offers even larger battery capacity. I know it depends on software etc... But purely on technical spec, this doesn't sounds good.

"Slim" is hardly the only variable: it also depends on the length and height: all components of the volume, which is what the available interior space for components is about.

OTOH better, larger, screen, faster processors and overall higher performance at the same, multi-day battery life and I'd be satisfied.

ETA: Which other phones are 7 mm thick?

• Reply 13 of 58
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Or three days for people that are employed.

Ouch!

• Reply 14 of 58
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

93%, 36 minutes usage, 3:01 hours standby. Low-Moderate cell reception, solid WiFi, Bluetooth enabled. Email, web surfing, maps and traffic and weather...

iPhone 5s

Your handset is clearly defective. Please contact Apple for a replacement.

• Reply 15 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mpantone wrote: »
    Your handset is defective. You should contact Apple for a replacement.

Maybe not. When the cell reception is low the antenna is boosted in the device in an attempt to compensate. This can and will drain a battery much faster. Regardless, worth having checked out if one is or will be bear an Apple Store.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Purely on tech specs, The Samsung S5 has a fingerprint scanner, just as the iPhone 5s does... do they provide the same experience?

As someone else has posted, you cannot compare battery drain without taking into consideration radio signals, which have to "power up" when the signal is weak. If you have Bluetooth, WiFi, and cell radios all on and any one of them is struggling to maintain a connection, then your battery will drain much faster.

• Reply 17 of 58
    FedGoatFedGoat Posts: 54member

you are on 3G, turn off LTE in settings. The phone is constantly looking for LTE/4G network. But, I think you have a defective phone or, you are playing a 3D game for the whole time. 

This is with solid LTE in the area and i use wi-fi when possible.  

I have been using it for Facebook, weather, texting (a lot), web browsing, and I have logged into Clash of Clans at least 5 times today for a few minutes at a time. 

This was charged last night before bed, used as an alarm clock.  I will easily make it another 8 hours doing the same thing I have been doing with it all day long. 

BTW that 2 hours 27 minutes is Screen ON time. Not simply 2 hours 27 minutes since it was pulled off the charger. 

• Reply 18 of 58
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    yet another reason to get the 5.5" model.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Shev View Post

More of the same it seems, oh joy

Stop the FUD; I want to get off.

• Reply 20 of 58
    Apple may yet surprise us, but I cannot think of a single new feature other than significantly enhanced battery life that will get me interested in buying a 6. And I do mean significantly enhanced. Bigger screen size is welcome, but first and foremost I want to be able to use the bloody thing. I was really hopeful that Apple would respond to this problem.

The fashion for thinness over practicality is preposterous - any thinner than the current 5 and the typical headphone jack will be thicker than the phone, for **** sake.

Now of course, if they can pull it off and the battery life is up by at least 30 per cent -and sustained for the duration of a two year contract - then all well and good.

But alas, the continuing 'coolness' factor provided by thinness is also a wonderful tool in disguising the built-in obsolescence necessary to sustain a two-year upgrade cycle.