1,800 mAh battery for Apple's 'iPhone 6' purportedly shown off in new photos

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MartinRead View Post

I was really hopeful that Apple would respond to this problem. ...built-in obsolescence...

Thanks for the FUD.

...any thinner than the current 5 and the typical headphone jack will be thicker than the phone, for **** sake.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/06/lightning-enabled-headphones-could-let-apple-ditch-the-headphone-jack-on-future-iphones

• Reply 22 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Unfortuantely people think that is a big conspiracy now that they own Beats.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Unfortunately people think that is a big conspiracy now that they own Beats.

Huh; I hadn’t thought of that. I don’t know why they’d be stupid enough to think it was a good idea for Apple to artificially limit its headphone user base by requiring Lightning to Lightning (or Lightning to USB) cables, but whatever.

Heck, if Lightning to Lightning can make for better quality, I’m for it. Throw a Lightning port on each Mac in place of 3.5mm, too. I have a Harmon/Kardon set that uses 2.5-3.5; you don’t see anyone complaining about that.

If Thunderbolt 3 is thin enough, a single Lightning port on each Mac to supplement three Thunderbolt and do what USB can’t might be a good idea if they want to keep making the computers thinner.

• Reply 24 of 58
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Your handset is clearly defective. Please contact Apple for a replacement.

Quote:

Maybe not. When the cell reception is low the antenna is boosted in the device in an attempt to compensate. This can and will drain a battery much faster. Regardless, worth having checked out if one is or will be bear an Apple Store.

My iP5's battery has a problem where it will drop from 30% to 7% and then shut down the phone all in a course of 3 minutes. When I first brought it to the Apple store, a genius performed a test on it and they said the battery was failing and I need a new one. At that time I was three months out of warranty and they told me they could replace the battery for $80. Even when I complained about only being 3 months out of warranty they said corporate were being pretty hard-nosed about it so they couldn't budge. Now I need to charge at least 3 times a day to get me through to the next release in a few months. Every time I plug in to charge, it really bugs me that they wouldn't budge. Their policies certainly have become less liberal with things like this.

Edited to add a word, making a sentence make sense.

• Reply 25 of 58
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    A 4.7 inch screen with a 1,800 mAh battery will really give Apple an opportunity to let their OS efficiency shine in terms of battery usage. My current phone is 2 years old and has similar specs and the battery lasts a full day with normal usage. It's running Android 4.3 and at the end of the day I have 20-30% battery left. It'll be interesting to see how iOS does in comparison.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

"... the battery lasts a full day with normal usage."

"Normal" usage is extremely subjective in when speaking about mobile smartphones.

• Reply 27 of 58
    My iP5's battery has a problem where it will drop from 30% to 7% and then shut down the phone all in a course of 3 minutes. When I first brought it to the Apple store, a genius performed a test on it they said the battery was failing and I need a new one. At that time I was three months out of warranty and they told me they could replace the battery for $80. Even when I complained about only being 3 months out of warranty they said corporate were being pretty hard-nosed about it so they couldn't budge. Now I need to charge at least 3 times a day to get me through to the next release in a few months. Every time I plug in to charge, it really bugs me that they wouldn't budge. Their policies certainly have become less liberal with things like this.

That seems wrong to me. A defective battery with relatively few full charges should not fall under the standard "bumper-to-bumper" warranty. I would try again and explain the issue as well as look irritated, be a little louder than normal and use aggravated hand gestures while also trying to get them to empathizes with you. Also, you may want to not wear nice clothes when you go in. :D
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:

That seems wrong to me. The battery should not fall under the standard "bumper-to-bumper" warranty. I would try again and explain the issue as well as look irritated, be a little louder than normal and use aggravated hand gestures while also trying to get them to empathizes with you. Also, you may want to not wear nice clothes when you go in. image

LOL, I always dress like a slob and I had a rather heated exchange that even attracted another Genius to join in. At this point in time, almost 8 months out of warranty, I doubt they would be more likely to budge with a new release being so near in the future.

• Reply 29 of 58
    LOL, I always dress like a slob and I had a rather heated exchange that even attracted another Genius to join in. At this point in time, almost 8 months out of warranty, I doubt they would be more likely to budge with a new release being so near in the future.

Next time, on the day you buy it put in a Calendar reminder a year from then, minus a few weeks so you can analyze the device before the warranty is up. I will do the same after your story of their consumer-unfriendly policy change.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    "Normal" usage is extremely subjective in when speaking about mobile smartphones.
    You're right, but there will still be countless battery tests performed to see how their new setup compares to the competition. That will be Apple's time to shine, not by some forum posters' anecdotal experience. People have long claimed (and rightly so) that comparing an iPhone to an Android phone in terms of battery is not comparing apples to apples. Android phones usually have larger screens and larger batteries. If the rumors are to be believed, the gap will narrow significantly this Fall.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:

Next time, on the day you buy it put in a Calendar reminder a year from then, minus a few weeks so you can analyze the device before the warranty is up. I will do the same after your story of their consumer-unfriendly policy change.

Funny, that is exactly what the Genius told me. He said to come in and have the phone benchmarked a few weeks before the warranty expires so if there is an issue after the warranty expires, they have a record of it. If, after a year of use, the battery shows signs of less capacity than normal, they would replace it.......no matter when it fails, no questions asked.

• Reply 32 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I always buy Apple care +

• Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Just pay the $80 for  new battery.

If $80 is such a hardship you should have purchased an Android.  Batteries die.  It happens.  Deal with it

Apple ][, is that you? No? Great, another one who categorizes Android users as cheap, low income dregs of society. :no:

My battery has only gotten this bad a few weeks ago. The reason why I went in to see a Genius was because my battery started showing signs that it was not quite right, but, at the time, it wasn't a huge issue because it still had pretty good capacity. My complaint is based on principle, not because I'm too cheap to buy a replacement battery. If my battery was showing signs of going bad only 3 months out of warranty, then it makes sense that it was a little wonky to begin with and I feel they should've been a little more empathetic, like I'm used to them being. My point is the liberal replacement policy that once made Apple stand out from the crowd and gave them such high satisfaction ratings is showing signs of going away. Now it's almost necessary to buy AppleCare for this very reason. Maybe that's Apple's grand plan. As a sizable AAPL shareholder (yes, I can certainly afford the 80 bucks) I'm kind of on the fence about that. AppleCare contracts add to Apple's bottom line in a big way but my big-picture thinking believes tremendous customer satisfaction keeps customers coming back....which sells a lot more phones. 

If I feel there was clearly a problem with my hardware, I'm not going to roll over and kick out $80 without a fight. I haven't amassed my wealth by pissing away my money; rather, quite the contrary. I made the decision not to waste $80 on my phone a couple of months before I upgrade because it's really not a big deal to have my phone plugged in while sitting at my desk or in my car. If you want to piss away your money like that, knock yourself out.

BTW, your short, harsh, nonconstructive answer made you sound like a really...nice...guy. :rolleyes: 

• Reply 34 of 58
    mstone wrote: »
    I always buy Apple care +

I didn't even think of that. I do, too, but that's mostly for insurance against accidental damage. Although it's definitely as good of a deal as it was before I'm sure I'll still buy it.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Your handset is clearly defective. Please contact Apple for a replacement.

That works out to 8.57 hours of use, 7% consumed at 36 minutes of usage... So I appreciate the sarcasm.

;)

• Reply 36 of 58
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

This is worrying, there are phones out there which is as slim as the iPhone 6 ( if it is 7mm ) and offers even larger battery capacity. I know it depends on software etc... But purely on technical spec, this doesn't sounds good.

Neither does your use of the english language but that still tells me nothing more than one spec. Specs are meaningless, performance counts & we won't know that until it is real.

• Reply 37 of 58
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Or three days for people that are employed.

If you used your phone more than you pick your nose you would probably find that the battery doesn't last all day.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

My iP5's battery has a problem where it will drop from 30% to 7%… time I plug in to charge, it really bugs me that they wouldn't budge. Their policies certainly have become less liberal with things like this.

Not sure if any of the following suggestions will help you, but it sure has helped a few of my clients keep their sanity.  

In particular, 

Quote:

Stop freaking out and enjoy your life. There are more important things to worry about than your device's battery life. The control freak inside you might freak out the first few days you do this, but you'll get used to it." 

Maintaining battery power was always a problem even when I bought my first Nokia in 1984. And today, the more functions/apps and calls I make, will guarantee my iPhone battery will need a boost before someone with a Samsung simply because they don't (can't) use their smartphone as much as I do.

Note that one thing that I know the author should have covered was GPS mapping. If there is one thing that will drain a battery faster it is using GPS and it is virtually integrated in every app/function the iPhone has.

Keep in mind that enabling Location Services, your GPS can hog battery life without you knowing it, even when you take a picture or when your Date & Time is Set Automatically.

A must read, "How to use the iPhone as a GPS mapping device for backpacking", in particular the sections on Battery Drain and Different Modes of iPhones, as well as "Battery Conservation Settings for Backcountry use of your iPhone."

• Reply 39 of 58
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    martinread wrote: »
    Apple may yet surprise us, but I cannot think of a single new feature other than significantly enhanced battery life that will get me interested in buying a 6. And I do mean significantly enhanced. Bigger screen size is welcome, but first and foremost I want to be able to use the bloody thing. I was really hopeful that Apple would respond to this problem.

The fashion for thinness over practicality is preposterous - any thinner than the current 5 and the typical headphone jack will be thicker than the phone, for **** sake.

Now of course, if they can pull it off and the battery life is up by at least 30 per cent -and sustained for the duration of a two year contract - then all well and good.

But alas, the continuing 'coolness' factor provided by thinness is also a wonderful tool in disguising the built-in obsolescence necessary to sustain a two-year upgrade cycle.

Give it a rest oh clueless one! All of my iPhones back to the 3G are still in use by family members - 3G, 4, 4S, 5, 5S.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Neither does your use of the english language but that still tells me nothing more than one spec. Specs are meaningless, performance counts & we won't know that until it is real.

You are put off with an extra s typo?

Battery capacity will be the talking point once the Samsung release their rumoured 6mm thin Galaxy Alpha.