Rumor: Apple's 4.7-inch 'iPhone 6' to enter mass production next week, 5.5-inch model in August

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    I friggen LOVE apple iphones, I lost mine 2 weeks ago and iam so lost wiyhout it, right now I am using a donated samsung gallezy and I HATE it
  • Reply 22 of 41
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ingela wrote: »
    Where do I begin. The Phone is getting thinner and thinner and more complex. There have been many items posted on tech sites regarding possible delays do suppliers inability to put the parts out. The battery supposedly so difficult they are using a new vendor. The chip is a!so using a new vendor and a new shrunken process. The screen is also using a new material in sapphire while the LCD display is also using a new thinner process.
    And the "S" model won't have new parts nor another process shrink. In fact if the S model does go with a process shrink (14nm) then you should be highly concerned with that as it will be a major change in technology building that chip.
    I'm not saying there will be problems, but the possibility is always greater on the brand new version with all the new technologies that go inside it.
    Frankly I will be surprised if there is no glitch of any kind this time out. Ths is going to be one heck of a device.

Certainly possible but consider this, don't buy a new device the first day it comes out! Shocking I know but you don't have to buy on day one. You can wait a month or two for customer feedback.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Huh? There have been at least a display and casing "leak." There was also word of the battery capacity for the rumoured 5.5" model.
    When did we get a legit display leak that was 5.5"?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    rogifan wrote: »
    http://goo.gl/04pW3T

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2014/06/14/latest-iphone-6-pictures-reveal-4-7-inch-and-5-5-inch-models/
    Sonny Dickson seems to be considered fairly reliable
  • Reply 25 of 41
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    ingela wrote: »
    Of course an S puts you in a better position as it is mostly an upgrade. And as far as reviews, that's not what I'm taking about. Glitches are things often missed by reviewers in the rush to get the first reviews out. They are often things not seen until the product is out in the wild in real use by real cash paying customers.

How long have you followed apple? No one ever gets an iPhone before they are released to "review". Outside of a "hands on" review during the announcement- just wait 2 weeks after it's released.

Solip also clearly mentioned the 4S having an issue- but the 5- with a totally new design- had none. However the 5S had a Touch ID software issue. So your "S won't have problems" statement is incorrect based on the previous iterations. Bottom line- you won't have to wait a year for the S to know of there are bugs or not. :)

Solip- if there was going to be a 4"- the casing would be worthy of a leak. That and the screens are usually the first leaks. I understand a 4" screen slipping through, but not the casing. 4" is a thing of the past, I'm afraid.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    tailstootailstoo Posts: 44member
    So not a single part has surfaced for 5.5" model, but production is starting in a few weeks?

I don't think we will be seeing a 5.5" iphone anytime soon.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Here you go: 5.5" version without a single part leak...so believable huh? 

That could just means its not in production yet, while obviously the 4.7" is in production right now. This supports the delayed rumors. imo it will come and we should see parts by the end of august.

That being said, despite the needs I have for a new phone this year, the Apple TV update and the iWatch are devices I am lot more exited about.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Most of the leaks have been the 4.7" size. Also the most recent leaks (including that video) show the 4.7" display with narrower side bezels than what's posted in that Forbes link. I have a hard time believing a 5.5 model is going to have smaller bezels than the 4.7" one.

But, as I've said before IF Apple makes a 5.5" model a "premium" model compared to the 4.7" it will piss off a lot of people. They should follow the iPad where the only consideration is screen size and price. I wouldn't buy a phablet, but I would buy the 4.7" model so long as Apple didn't purposely make it a less premium product to try and upsell people to the phablet. If they do that I'll keep my 5S.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

They lost me at "100,000" workers. These rumors aren't even fun to read anymore, now they're just silly.

It is already established that Foxconn has hundreds of thousands of workers in their factories. I'll grant that hiring 100k more does sound like a lot, but it is possible that some of the meaning was lost in translation. Perhaps they need 100k workers total for a particular site or production line.  It's also possible that when they say they want to "hire" workers, they would include re-assigned workers in the figure, and it's also possible that they've got 20k or more currently laid-off, and ready to return to duty, which they might also include.  But really, as you said, these are RUMORS, and all to be taken with a grain of NaCl.  

• Reply 30 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »

When were any of these leaks considered legit? Is Apple saying, "Yep, that's one of ours."
  • Reply 31 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

How long have you followed apple? No one ever gets an iPhone before they are released to "review". Outside of a "hands on" review during the announcement- just wait 2 weeks after it's released.

Mossberg and Pogue usually get an advance unit to review 2 weeks ahead of launch but I don't think they would make any bug reports back to Apple.

• Reply 32 of 41
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mstone wrote: »
    Mossberg and Pogue usually get an advance unit to review 2 weeks ahead of launch but I don't think they would make any bug reports back to Apple.

so does Gruber. he's published his preview review thoughts (after public launch) -- so yes, apple definitely seeds pre-releases.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Too late, Goophone beat Apple to market!
  • Reply 34 of 41
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Solip also clearly mentioned the 4S having an issue- but the 5- with a totally new design- had none. However the 5S had a Touch ID software issue. So your "S won't have problems" statement is incorrect based on the previous iterations. Bottom line- you won't have to wait a year for the S to know of there are bugs or not. image

And those reviews come out before the phones are actually released. In the case of the 5s, the review embargo was lifted on Sept. 17 -- three days before the device went on sale. And in my case, reading the Anandtech review confirmed that I should go with the 5s over the 5c.

The choice of whether to buy or wait just comes down to timing, and whether there are any remaining issues to sort out. Last summer at this time I was deciding between buying an iPhone 5 or waiting until the new model(s) comes out. Obviously, waiting means that you will have the choice between an improved model or the older model for $100 less.

But, another issue that tilted me towards waiting was the LTE support for T-Mobile's network. The early production GSM iPhone 5 did not fully support the LTE bands on T-Mobile's network, and this was not immediately addressed even after T-Mobile began selling the iPhone 5. Later on, the iPhone 5 GSM models did add that LTE band, but I read about customers buying phones still in inventory that did not fully support T-Mobile's LTE bands.

Given that T-Mobile had not yet deployed LTE in my area at that time, I did not want to find out later on, after LTE service goes live, that I had purchased one of the earlier incompatible phones. Going with the 5s just ensured some added measure of futureproofing. (And in my area, it did turn out that T-Mobile's LTE service used the band not supported by the early production iPhone 5 models)

• Reply 35 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    Solip- if there was going to be a 4"- the casing would be worthy of a leak. That and the screens are usually the first leaks. I understand a 4" screen slipping through, but not the casing. 4" is a thing of the past, I'm afraid.

Not if the internals get updated but not the casing. That said, I think the cost of metal casing on the 5S means it will probably not stick around even though there is a question of the 5C not selling as well as Apple would like. The 5S is the number phone but the 5C is number 5, according to the latest numbers crunch I read. I think the "last year's components" iPhones were holding much higher in previous years.
  • Reply 36 of 41

We haven't seen any 4" parts leaks yet.

Nor any 5.5" parts leaks.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Here you go: 5.5" version without a single part leak...so believable huh? 

You calling Ming-chi Kuo a liar? ;)
  • Reply 38 of 41
    iretardiretard Posts: 2member
    I just joined to say that iPhone 5 DID have a problem, recently there was a product recall to fix faulty power buttons, I know because mine was affected, it was only iPhones made in the first 2 or 3 months of production which were affected I think, so yes it does pay to wait, that's why I've got a 5c now 9 months after it was first released.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    iretardiretard Posts: 2member
  • Reply 40 of 41
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    My guess is that the iPhone 6 4.7" and 5.5" will be announced in the usual period of time and I think the 4.7" model will come out in September ten the 5.5" in Ocarina over along side the iPad's.