Amazon launches iOS-compatible Kindle Unlimited, a $10/mo. all-you-can-read ebook plan

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    saarek wrote: »
    What a shame it's not out for the UK, I'd subscribe immediately if it was!

Is oysterbooks available in the UK? They offer the same thing.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Too bad the Kindle Reader sucks.

Apple should match this and the iBooks reader is much better on iOS and Mac OS.

eInk readers are far superior for reading than multi function tablets.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member

I think we see the writing on the wall why Amazon purchased Audible.com and Comixology.com.   I can see similar offering in the future.

• Reply 24 of 45
    bryandbryand Posts: 78member
    I wonder about the number of titles available. I enjoy reading books, but if the selection is limited to whats available on their lending library, I may still have to purchase many of the books I want to read which makes the $10 per month seem a bit expensive.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Is there a way to know in advance what titles are part of the program? The ebooks that I read tend not to be less than $10 USD - much more in some cases. I guess I will try it for a month and see whether it's worth it for me. I'm surprised to see negative comments about the Kindle App. It's worked pretty well for me for the most part. There have been a few instances where I had to re-download all of my purchases but from a readability and synchronization standpoint it's pretty decent. By default I always start with iBooks and only go with Amazon if iBooks is missing the title.

From a philosophical perspective I think it's a good idea to have ebooks curated outside of any device vendor's ecosystem just to spur innovation in the ebook (and app) domain. At some point there is going to be a throttling effect by having content captive inside all these silos. Nobody is excellent at everything and separation of concerns is a sound architectural principle when dealing with scalability. The problem is that the horses have already left the barn and the current megastore owners like Amazon have locked up the content in their own silos. My preference would be having online shopping malls that provide alternative ways to sell digital media. When you have millions of single type of content stuffed into a single store like iTunes or GooglePlay it's nearly impossible for the vast majority of content owners to get their work in front of customers on virtual store shelves for customers to purchase. As much as I love the App Store I think that it has long been in a state of denial about being the right model to really serve the needs of what it claims to serve. It has nothing to do with anyone making boneheaded decisions or being malicious, it's simply that we don't know any better so we're mapping the model to what we do know. What we have today is the equivalent of early airplane designs that had flapping wings - because that's what our reference model (birds) used. Once we figured out aerodynamics the flapping wings went away. We've yet to find the "aerodynamics" for the mass digitalization of human generated and initiated content.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

According to press reports, Amazon is paying the publishers the regular wholesale price for each downloaded ebook...

If that's true, this could be a great way to funnel money from Amazon to authors and publishers.  Pay $10 and then download 600,000 books.  Hmm.

• Reply 27 of 45
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member

A quick look at the selection of books in the Unlimited section leaves me underwhelmed. I'm sure it's a great deal for someone - else.

• Reply 28 of 45
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by McDavies View Post

It would be nice to see Audible books under this plan.   All you can listen to for $120 a year.

Less than 8,000 titles that are "whispersync" (aka including audio) for Kindle Unlimited.

Audible itself has 40k (based on investor site) to 150k (from wikipedia) titles, which pretty much dwarfs the KU selection.  Of course, at Audible I pay $180/yr for 12 credits - some of which give an immense amount of value (Cryptonomicon was 47h for 1 credit, very nice).

Though I'd like Whispersync, my audiobook usage is pretty limited to commutes so not useful for me, so I'll stick with Audible for now (usually use up all my credits and not much more aside from the BOGO specials).

• Reply 29 of 45

By the way, you can read Kindle eBooks on any Mac, iPhone or iPad with Amazon's free software at http://amzn.to/1irka2c

• Reply 30 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Unlimited books to read, that's like my dream product. US only, *sigh*.

• Reply 31 of 45
    ascii wrote: »
    Unlimited books to read, that's like my dream product. US only, *sigh*.

I guess I'll say it again, have you tried oysterbooks?
  • Reply 32 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I guess I'll say it again, have you tried oysterbooks?

Their website looks good. I'll check it out, thanks.

Edit: Oh, it also appears to be US only.

• Reply 33 of 45
    ascii wrote: »
    Their website looks good. I'll check it out, thanks.

Edit: Oh, it also appears to be US only.

Sorry then, I wasn't sure. Got to admit that over 500,000 titles is pretty impressive for a little known company.
  • Reply 34 of 45

By the way, you can read Amazon (Kindle) eBooks on any iPhone, iPad or PC/Mac with Amazon's free software:  http://amzn.to/1irka2c

• Reply 35 of 45
    FYI Kindle eBooks and Kindle Unlimited are fully supported on any iPhone, iPad or PC/Mac with Amazon's free software: http://amzn.to/1irka2c
  • Reply 36 of 45
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Too bad the Kindle Reader sucks.

Apple should match this and the iBooks reader is much better on iOS and Mac OS.

eInk readers are far superior for reading than multi function tablets.

Until you go inside.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Until you go inside.

Even indoors
  • Reply 38 of 45
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Until you go inside.

Even indoors

No. Indoors, you can easily read on an iPad under any lighting conditions. Eink? You need to have a strong light to read comfortably.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No. Indoors, you can easily read on an iPad under any lighting conditions. Eink? You need to have a strong light to read comfortably.

Yes, you can read the iPad indoors, but it provides far more eyestrain than an e-ink reader.    Unless I started traveling constantly as I used to, I would never buy a Kindle because I don't want to carry so many different devices, but I have to admit that the Kindle is far easier to read if all I care about is reading books.   You have to give credit where credit is due.

An ideal device would somehow enable both e-ink and a retina display in the same physical device.    

• Reply 40 of 45
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    At least with the Kindle and Kindle app you have a choice to read on your phone, iPad, computer, or Kindle device.

When is Apple going to release an app for Android or Windows? It would seem to make sense because they could sell books to people who don't have an iOS device.