Former White House Press Secretary Carney still considering Apple PR role, Bloomberg says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2014
A rumor claiming former White House Secretary Jay Carney is in the running to head up public relations at Apple -- thought to have been put to bed last week -- was resurrected on Saturday, with a new report saying he is still considering the position.

Former White House press secretary Jay Carney. | Source: WhiteHouse.gov

In a report citing a friend of Carney's, Bloomberg claims the former press secretary has indeed talked with Apple over taking over former PR chief Katie Cotton's seat, but has not yet decided on the matter.

When the publication reached out for comment, Carney was cagey about his future job prospects and declined to clear up the Apple rumor.

"I'm talking to a lot of different people about a variety of potential opportunities," he said.

Last week, Re/Code reported that Carney was in talks to become Apple's next vice president of corporate communications, but the rumor was refuted the next day by well-connected journalist Jim Dalrymple, who said, "Nope. Tim Cook has never even met Jay Carney."

It was reported in June that Apple CEO Tim Cook was personally on the hunt for "high-profile external candidates" to replace Cotton after the PR vet retired from the company in May. Speculation at the time pegged longtime Apple spokespeople Steve Dowling or Natalie Kerris as top candidates to fill the still-vacant position.

Carney, Time Magazine's former Washington bureau chief, stepped down as President Barack Obama's press secretary in June after three years in office. Prior to his time with Obama, Carney served as head of communications for Vice President Joe Biden.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 230
    jmz101jmz101 Posts: 9member
    If Carney is appointed PR director for Apple - I will literally puke.
  • Reply 2 of 230
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Former Time Magazine Washington Bureau Chief sounds like someone who could handle a press job. Less political than the Uber job I expect as that company has a lot of unions coming after it in every town it operates in.
  • Reply 3 of 230
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jmz101 wrote: »
    If Tim Cook hires him then he loses me as a customer.

I'm curious though....has Jim Dalrymple ever said "nope" to something and been wrong?
  • Reply 4 of 230
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    Gross. I will sell my stock. If Tim Cook chooses Carney, then he is delusional.
  • Reply 5 of 230
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member

Can he perform other government facing role in Apple ?

They can choose someone else for the PR Chief.

• Reply 6 of 230
    rogifan wrote: »
    If Tim Cook hires him then he loses me as a customer

I'm fairly sure the tens of millions of other Apple customers will be enough to console him over losing one.
  • Reply 7 of 230
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm curious though....has Jim Dalrymple ever said "nope" to something and been wrong?

Not that I can recall. When he says "nope" that's pretty much the end of the story.

• Reply 8 of 230
    pigybank wrote: »
    Gross. I will sell my stock. If Tim Cook chooses Carney, then he is delusional.
    Can you expound on that statement? Even if you are for a different political party than the one Carney was working for, how does that affect his role at Apple? It it is a liberal/conservative issue keep in mind that Apple is one of the most liberal large corporation there is.

I'm honestly curious about why there is the Carney hate. Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 9 of 230
    jmz101 wrote: »

Looking forward to you informing us that you literally puked.
  • Reply 10 of 230

Does this mean you will discontinue expressing your opinion on this Web site as well?

You will not be missed as a contributor nor as an Apple customer.

I doubt you will follow through though..
  • Reply 11 of 230
    I'm fairly sure the tens of millions of other Apple customers will be enough to console him over losing one.
    I'm sure Cook couldn't care less but I doubt I'd be the only one. That Bloomberg article have over 200 comments most of them negative. I can't remember the last time a Bloomberg article on Apple generated over 200 comments.
  • Reply 12 of 230
    Does this mean you will discontinue expressing your opinion on this Web site as well?

You will not be missed as a contributor nor as an Apple customer.

I doubt you will follow through though..
    Believe me I wouldn't miss some people here who can be real jackasses. But I thought you all had me on ignore anyway. ;)
  • Reply 13 of 230
    sessamoid wrote: »
    Not that I can recall. When he says "nope" that's pretty much the end of the story.
    At this point I trust Dalrymple over an unnamed friend of Jay. Carney blabbing to Bloomberg.
  • Reply 14 of 230
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

He's in the running, he's not in the running, he's in the running.

Man, Apple needs some kind of PR person or something to get their story straight.

• Reply 15 of 230
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    Samsung will be a better place for Mr. Carney.
    With so many against Mr Carney & so many vowing to sell their stock and not buy Apple Products; a Samsung placement would be great for Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 230
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    So both Carney and Bloomberg are liars... sounds about right.
  • Reply 17 of 230
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fruitstandninja View Post

I'm honestly curious about why there is the Carney hate..

I don't get that either. He is just a press secretary. He doesn't represent any policies. He sounds like a good replacement for Cotton. He keeps his cool and doesn't say anything he is not supposed to. Nobody can dodge a question better than Jay.

• Reply 18 of 230
    Believe me I wouldn't miss some people here who can be real jackasses. But I thought you all had me on ignore anyway. ;)

Oh man, I just wanted you to see how stupid your remark was. You are not going to leave Apple nor this Web site if the guy is hired. You did not leave with the Beats purchase, which you very vocal about, you will not leave with this hire.

Please prove me wrong if the guy is hired. Please.
  • Reply 19 of 230
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

What's that old saying ... 'don't let the door ...' ;)

Seriously I am getting pretty tired of folks saying crap like this or 'If .... I'll leave the country ...'

The slightest hint of anything remotely related to politics in the US and out come the pre conditioned water cooler comments they are fed by their chosen media to spout.

If one guy's job hiring can make you start using another platform rather than Apple then I'd suggest therapy.

If you do I hope you change to one of that platform's blog too.
  • Reply 20 of 230
    quansterquanster Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm sure Cook couldn't care less but I doubt I'd be the only one. That Bloomberg article have over 200 comments most of them negative. I can't remember the last time a Bloomberg article on Apple generated over 200 comments.

If you never seen a Bloomberg article on Apple generated over 200 comments then isn't it obvious that it's the Obama haters that are commenting.  They always seem to have the loudest voice.  Hating Apple has nothing to do with Jay Carney and his qualification as a PR.  So much noise for no good reason.  As if the average customer heard a lot from Katie Cotton.