Google and Samsung escalate hostilities over watches, Tizen and Android's openness

Comments

• Reply 81 of 141
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Nothing beats watching a p*ss*ng contest between skunks.

At a safe distance, that is.

• Reply 82 of 141
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Whatever happened to Google ditching Android?

appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/google-appears-ready-to-ditch-android-over-its-intellectual-property-issues

That story was just a silly observation which turned into rumor, especially when it was based on a 30 dollar accessory. Oh my gosh it doesn't have Dalvik so Google must be ditching Android all together. People have bee speculating that Chrome OS will overtake Android as Google's next mobile platform for a while now, again it's just rumors with absolutely no solid information to back it up. In fact it's Chromium OS (Chrome OS's development build) that has been receiving many Android additions, not the other way around, if anything Google will merge the two platforms but that is a long way off. 

I don't know if you had a chance to play with the new L release but it's really nice, the best Android version released to date, fast, extremely fast on a Nexus 5 with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, 2GB of Ram. First time I've seen Android without so much as single hiccup, as fast as iOS(honestly is, very impressive for something that's still development). A real test is actually visiting this site and posting a comment, previously when scrolling through a heavy comment laden thread, Chrome would jerk more then a 13 year old who found his daddy's vintage Playboy collection in the attic. Now it scrollssmmmmoooottthh...ly. 

So I say screw Samsung, their take on Android is, archaic (they still use menu elements from Android 2.x), heavily skinned, memory hogging (seriously a big problem here, my sisters husband had a Tab 3 10.1, Intel x86 CPU, 1GB RAM, upon a fresh reboot the system only left 320 MB for apps), laggy as all hell (their new 12" model is actually a pretty powerful tablet but because of TouchWiz's bloated ass it feels like it's running on a 3 year old CPU, llllaaaaggggyyyy), TouchWiz's UI is ugly as sin and the worst part about their Android version, updates, Samsung has one of the worst track records when it comes to keeping their Android devices current. Seriously, using the Tab 3 again as an example, I just checked for giggles, yep it's till stuck at version 4.2.2, where talking an entire year on the same version, inexcusable, what do they expect, people to update to the new Tab 4 after only a year of owning the Tab 3 just so they can have the latest version of Android. Funny they updated the 7" version to KitKat because it's their most popular model from that series. By the way it baffles me to no end that people would rather save 50 to 60 dollars by purchasing a Samsung Tab 3 7" or Tab 4 7" then go for something a lot more superior like the Nexus 7 v2 or even a EVGA's Note 7 (that even has an active digitizer pen, HDMI port, and Nvidias Tegra 4, with regular updates), just for kicks, using AnTuTu benchmark on the Tab 3 7"  resulted in a score of 9877, the EVGA Note 7, a whopping 34365. Sorry, I got a little side tracked, it's just something that bothers me about some people, do they just don't care, don't research, just plain dumb. what is it? 

Google is on the right path, take Android back, third party manufactures would have to be crazy not to utilize an unmolested L release. I personally will only buy an Android devices that is either a Nexus device or is a Google Play Addition as it's the best performing, updates come in a timely matter, really clean interface and no bloat. 

By the way, I am not saying people on this forum should buy an Android device. I am just commenting with the point of view as a person who just happens to have an Android phone, it's a toy for me top play with, that's all. So please Marvin the Martian don't disintegrate me

Oh, one more thing, have you guys seen the new Logitech Fabricskin Keyboard Folio for the iPad Air or Mini, so beautiful, thin, I wonder how it is to type on, whatever I want it.

• Reply 83 of 141
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    My unsolicited advice to Apple? Release no new iPhones, no new iPads and no new watches or health bands in the next year. Just sit on everything and jump right to the next generation a year from now.

With nothing to copy and no clue about what to release, Samsung will market and sell bomb after bomb and they will implode on their own.

It'll be beautiful.
  • Reply 84 of 141
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Funny thing about Tizen: fandroids never, ever look at it and say: "Google needs competition." Their meme is: "Apple needs competition."

I'm a fandroid.  I'm all for Tizen.

I think it has quite a few challenges.  Starting up an ecosystem from scratch was tough even when the market was just taking off.  Once established it is nearly impossible to get traction on a new one (see: Microsoft).  Microsoft has an out because it can port its desktop base (or attempt to) onto the phone.  Tizen doesn't have that, and like Windows, is opting for the 'use Android compatability' lever for its ecosystem.  The problem with that is if Android runs Android, Windows runs Android, and Tizen runs Android- developers will just develop for Android.  So you get the opposite of the 'developers, developers, developers' you were hoping to attract.

Tizen is offering some interesting perks, C base should speed things up but Android ART is worlds better than Java.  Not sure if it is still there, but at one point Tizen was going for the write once run anywhere principle.  Write for Tizen and it automatically ports to Android and iOS.  Its great on paper if they can pull it off well, but nobody has to date- the apps just end up bland and feeling non-native.

Android is robust and well established.  Tizen will serve to accelerate Androids improvement, and if Tizen is better it could win.

Win/win from my perspective.

• Reply 85 of 141
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    512ke wrote: »
    Samsung has no choice but to develop tizen.

What else are they supposed to do? Sell exactly the same watch in terms of capabilities as its competitors?

That's what Google wants. They're saying, here, do exactly what everyone else is doing. May the cheapest version win.

Every company wants to be Apple and charge a premium for being unique valuable and different.

Manufacturers can offer different features and capabilities. Google hasn't said they shouldn't AFAIK. What they don't want is any change to the UX. If a person buys one Android Wear device then adds or changes to another Google wants the same familiar interface used. Makes complete sense from a consumer standpoint doesn't it, yet still allows Samsung or LG or Moto to create their own unique wearable.
  • Reply 86 of 141
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That's a good policy and how I typically spent my life. I love cars, I love luxury and I love new, but it's really hard for me to think that spending 6 figures on a car makes any sense for my needs because it's new, stylish, well built, and comes with many features. Last year I bought a new car for the peace of mind of a warranty to try that out. The only feature I cared about was handsfree calls. Outside of that I really didn't care. That said, I may sell it for a car that comes with CarPlay within the next year if a dealership demo preforms well. I also could use a vehicle with a permanent rack on top for my surf board. Getting annoyed with the ones I need to install that fit into the door jams.

Excuse off topic folks .. I don't disagree ... I always leased for this reason and it was a business write -off, but at the end of my last lease on my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited the buyout of the lease was 10K less that Kelly's Blue Book. In all the years I leased I never saw one worth buying before, but this time I was amazed. I suspect as I leased the V8 during the gas price scares and the residual was ludicrously low, hence the anomaly and also why I was given a massive discount at the start so the payments were low too .. a win win for me:). So I bought it and was able to also get an additional life time factory warranty (which is transferable if I ever sold!) as I live in Florida (apparently only Hawaii and Florida can offer this on a 3 year old car ... so i was told anyway) . I have had one repair so far, an entirely new AC system that cost me $100, the deductible on the warranty. Glad to say no salt on the roads here means the body work looks like new as does the interior. Semi retied and doing around 6,000 miles a year she should out last me so i am very happy as I love my Jeep to bits. I'm off to put the kayaks on top now ... see ya :)
  • Reply 87 of 141
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Manufacturers can offer different features and capabilities. Google hasn't said they shouldn't AFAIK. What they don't want is any change to the UX. If a person buys one Android Wear device then adds or changes to another Google wants the same familiar interface used. Makes complete sense from a consumer standpoint doesn't it, yet still allows Samsung or LG or Moto to create their own unique wearable.

It would only make sense if a person wanted a wearable that reported to WTFK, there whereabouts at all times and fed data to sales companies and marketing people so as to bombard them with new sales ads based on their patterns of movement. I'd pass on that thanks and use Apple's wearables should they ever exist as at least i know I am using an OS from a company with integrity.

If Scammy has any sense they will simply release their own OS having ripped off what ever IP they can from Google that they can get away with. Then start an ad agency model and offer their OS for free to any company that wants to make cheap crap and get fat off all the data their OS feeds back to them by selling it to others. Now that would be an original concept for Scammy wouldn't it? :D

Heck Scammy could go one step better than Google, they could even offer to make the cheap crap for them AND give them a free OS.

Trust me bro' the buyers of Android crap don't care or probably even know what an OS is, they'd buy Galaxy or whatever junk Scammy makes like hot cakes because of advertising and price. Look on the bright side all your posts defending Scammy can continue, I am sure the Apple v Scamsung articles will continue so plenty of opportunity to post links to evidence of how righteous Scammy is with their look a-likes and rounded corners and all ... Perhaps AI will even post articles about Scammy v Google and you can do the same ... oh wait a minute ... :D
  • Reply 88 of 141
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

…something, something "no honor among thieves" something, something...

• Reply 89 of 141
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    ...extremely fast on a Nexus 5 with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, 2GB of Ram. First time I've seen Android without so much as single hiccup, as fast as iOS(honestly is, very impressive for something that's still development)

That I have to see for myself; so far all Android devices suffered from lag, the slow response / scrolling has always been an excruciating experience - for me.
    Chrome would jerk more then a 13 year old who found his daddy's vintage Playboy collection in the attic. Now it scrolls...

It just never stops with you, does it? Rock on, Relic!
    Google is on the right path, take Android back, third party manufactures would have to be crazy not to utilize an unmolested L release. I personally will only buy an Android devices that is either a Nexus device or is a Google Play Addition as it's the best performing, updates come in a timely matter, really clean interface and no bloat.

Well, that is the way Apple does it. And if Google had indeed copied the iPhone they should have copied every aspect, and it now seems to me they did do this. Not that it matters anyway.
    By the way, I am not saying people on this forum should buy an Android device. I am just commenting with the point of view as a person who just happens to have an Android phone, it's a toy for me top play with, that's all. So please Marvin the Martian don't disintegrate me

I like reading up on your view on tech stuff and Marvin simply had a point to make. I'm sure he agrees with you on many topics, and probably learns something from your posts to boot.
    Oh, one more thing, have you guys seen the new Logitech Fabricskin Keyboard Folio for the iPad Air or Mini, so beautiful, thin, I wonder how it is to type on, whatever I want it.

Some will appreciate that, it's similar to the kickstand on the MS Surface:
    iPad-Schutzcover, das sich Ihnen anpasst.
    Hinge unterstützt jede Betrachterposition innerhalb eines Neigungswinkels von 50°. Auch Ihre.
  • Reply 90 of 141
    For sure, Google can no longer claim with a straight face that Android is 'open'... That was Andy Rubin's vision, and Google went along to sign up new OEMs and grow adoption, but now that they have market share, Larry is clamping down...

What a mess Android has become...

And the inevitable Google pushback is starting to appear from many directions...

Ironic how fandroids used to claim how "customization" was a reason they wanted to use Android (and some kind of advantage), yet increasingly, Google doesn't want the ironically named Open Handset Alliance members to do that with Android. Keep Android pure, fall in line, do not challenge Google because Google doesn't need competition.
  • Reply 91 of 141
    larry9larry9 Posts: 15member
    In the smartphone/tablet arena, Samsung needs Google far more than Google needs Samsung. Manufacturers are a dime a dozen. The latest and greatest Android will draw in other manufacturers willing to agree to "Not F it up". I agree with previous post about buying only Nexus or Google Play Editions. This is where Android is going and there will be a wealth of choices of great hardware to run this ever improving mobile OS.
    Does anybody seriously think Apple needs to build its own hardware to sell IOS? They would be even more successful if they licensed it and let others sell iphone clones with a variety of features, form factors, and prices. It is the sameness of product choices that is keeping Apple from owning the market. Their own manufacturing arm is denying Apple a complete takeover of the smartphone market.
  • Reply 92 of 141
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Excuse off topic folks .. I don't disagree ... I always leased for this reason and it was a business right -off, but at the end of my last lease on my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited the buyout of the lease was 10K less that Kelly's Blue Book. In all the years I leased I never saw one worth buying before, but this time I was amazed. I suspect as I leased the V8 during the gas price scares and the residual was ludicrously low, hence the anomaly. So I bought it and was able to also get an additional life time factory warranty (which is transferable if I ever sold!) as I live in Florida (apparently only Hawaii and Florida can offer this on a 3 year old car ... so i was told anyway) . I have had one repair so far, an entirely new AC system that cost me $100, the deductible on the warranty. Glad to say no salt on the roads here means the body work looks like new as does the interior. Semi retied and doing around 6,000 miles a year she should out last me so i am very happy as I love my Jeep to bits. I'm off to put the kayaks on top now ... see ya image

I always wanted a Jeep, in fact before I husband brought home a Rang Rover I was pushing for one of those big 4 door Wranglers,  I think it was the Sahara addition, I would have even chosen the Dune color. My husband is kind of fruity when it comes to his cars, like when we went to the LandRover dealership I gravitated towards the Defender, four door series with all of the outdoorsy accessories and he to the RangRover that had the special picnic and bar kit in the back from Spirito DiVino. Geesh honey, I'm the chick, anyway I always pictured my self pushing away the cars from those stupid mothers who always park in front of the pickup zone, just gossiping away. Did your hear want Linda did, no, she and her husband adapted a child from Kenya, oh my gosh no, yeah can you believe it, I hope they don't enroll him hear. F***k you and you, and F***k Linda, pick up your special needs offspring , get in your car you racist bitch's,  and mmmooooovvvveeee it or I will drive over your pansy ass Prius with my Godzilla truck. Yeah, rock on!:smokey:

• Reply 93 of 141
    Look on the bright side all your posts defending Scammy can continue, I am sure the Apple v Scamsung articles will continue so plenty of opportunity to post links to evidence of how righteous Scammy is with their look a-likes and rounded corners and all ... Perhaps AI will even post articles about Scammy v Google and you can do the same ... oh wait a minute ... :D

Apparently you desperately want me to be a Samsung fan so as to have a windmill to flail at? Imagine what you wish sir, but the factual record from my posting history will plainly show I'm no Sammy fan. Feel free to continue with your own version tho as I can't do anything about someone else's vivid imagination.

As you were. . . :rolleyes:
  • Reply 94 of 141
    The suspense is killing me! I hope it will last.
  • Reply 95 of 141
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Apparently you desperately want me to be a Samsung fan so as to have a windmill to flail at? Imagine what you wish sir, but the factual record from my posting history will plainly show I'm no Sammy fan. Feel free to continue with your own version tho as I can't do anything about someone else's vivid imagination.

As you were. . . :rolleyes:

You may claim to be no friend of Samsung but you were, and continue to be, even less of a friend of Apple.

Now would be an appropriate time to remember the ancient saying:

"The enemy of mine enemy is mine friend...until, of course, he begin to taketh my lunch money and causeth me to weep for lost advertising revenue."

;)
  • Reply 96 of 141
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Amazing to see that the same fandroids who called me a sheeple because I used the walled garden iOS and told me to shift to the open Android, because no one company could lock me in software or hardware, are now defending Google's attempts to lock people into their idea of Android.

And I am not just talking about Internet trolls but friends IRL.
  • Reply 97 of 141
    gtr wrote: »

Now would be an appropriate time to remember the ancient saying:

"The enemy of mine enemy is mine friend...until, of course, he begin to taketh my lunch money and causeth me to weep for lost advertising revenue."

;)

I view Apple a whole lot more favorably than Samsung, a company that's never had any qualms about shamelessly mimicking and even copying other techs successes. So viewing Apple favorably and disliking the way Samsung conducts business makes me your friend then. Cool. :smokey:
  • Reply 98 of 141
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I view Apple a whole lot more favorably than Samsung, a company that's never had any qualms about shamelessly mimicking and even copying other techs successes. So viewing Apple favorably and disliking the way Samsung conducts business makes me your friend then. Cool. :smokey:

Sorry, not interested.

As Steve Jobs once said, "People who work for Google make pretty schmidty friends".
  • Reply 99 of 141
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ironic how fandroids used to claim how "customization" was a reason they wanted to use Android (and some kind of advantage), yet increasingly, Google doesn't want the ironically named Open Handset Alliance members to do that with Android. Keep Android pure, fall in line, do not challenge Google because Google doesn't need competition.

There's a Grand Canyon of difference between sort of the customization users want, and the sort the manufacturers want.

Users: setting a home screen wallpaper, organizing apps into folders or other preferred layouts, choosing default applications, installing any application they want, having the ability to replace things like the app launcher or the lock screen, etc.

Manufacturers and carriers: sideloading own-brand copies of all default apps, self-made UIs (invariably with horrible performance and memory usage), and in Samsung's case the ability to put an iOS skin on top of everything. 

Google's push to exert more control over the OS doesn't seem to be going in a direction that will harm users. The people writing garbage like TouchWiz, on the other hand...

• Reply 100 of 141
    gtr wrote: »
    Sorry, not interested.

As Steve Jobs once said, "People who work for Google make pretty schmidty friends".

LOL. You are absolutely one of the wittiest posters here., and can be one of the most enjoyable. :D