Former White House Press Secretary Carney still considering Apple PR role, Bloomberg says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 230
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Being a Press Secretary in such contentious times is a tough gig, and Carney I suspect did no worst then others would have. He essentially is asked to provide to the press information that the White House wants him to provide even when he himself is without all the information. Nonetheless, I highly doubt Apple would select such a high profile controversial public official with baggage to fill such a public position for it. 

Moreover, what makes the story bogus to me is what would there for Carney to consider if he in fact was offered the job? From his perspective, there wouldn't be a better gig to cash in on his former successes. 

• Reply 22 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't get that either. He is just a press secretary. He doesn't represent any policies. He sounds like a good replacement for Cotton. He keeps his cool and doesn't say anything he is not supposed to. Nobody can dodge a question better than Jay.

Agreed, he would be a good PR person for Apple. He certainly is qualified. Nonetheless, to appease the brainwashed politics is a sporting event crowd who far outnumbers the common sense crowd it probably is best Apple not put a controversial figure in such a position. 

• Reply 23 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If Tim Cook hires him then he loses me as a customer.

I'm curious though....has Jim Dalrymple ever said "nope" to something and been wrong?

I wonder what forums you would post in? 

• Reply 24 of 230
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    I'm fairly sure the tens of millions of other Apple customers will be enough to console him over losing one.

That's not the point. A PR chief is supposed to help Apple win over customers, not drive them away. If there is someone else out there that will do the job without all the political controversy, I bet Apple will go after that person instead.

Some nobody friend of Carney talking to the news as if all Carney has to do to get the job is ask for it sounds more like Carney trying to stir up interest or save face than reality to me.
  • Reply 25 of 230
    bllpapabllpapa Posts: 1member
    No to Carney
  • Reply 26 of 230
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    jmz101 wrote: »
    If Carney is appointed PR director for Apple - I will literally puke.

How do you figuratively puke?
  • Reply 27 of 230
    Ah, the far right wing crawling out of the woodworks again.... Sigh....

You guys are relentless.
  • Reply 28 of 230
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ah, the far right wing crawling out of the woodworks again.... Sigh....

You guys are relentless.
    Name calling, just what I would expect from liberals.
  • Reply 29 of 230
    rogifan wrote: »
    Name calling, just what I would expect from liberals.

Ah, the irony..... :lol:
  • Reply 30 of 230
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

What name calling?

• Reply 31 of 230
    Jay Carney is not a credible spokesperson for any organization, given the extensive "laundry list" of untruths he frequently told the American people. Almost daily, he took to the press podium and passed along information that was demonstrably untrue, and no reasonable person could believe Carney did not know he was lying. The man has no honor, so why would Apple want him as the public "face" of the Company?
  • Reply 32 of 230
    Ah, the irony..... :lol:
    Calling Carney a liar and a political hack is just telling the truth. :smokey:
  • Reply 33 of 230
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Traits that are very suitable for a career in PR.

• Reply 34 of 230
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

I'm curious though....has Jim Dalrymple ever said "nope" to something and been wrong?

I don't recall it.

"Yup" and "nope" is probably his code words for saying, "Apple has disclosed to me certain highly specific information which I am allowed to confirm (or deny)."

These pinpoint yup/nope answers are highly specific yet generally insignificant questions, none of which disclose much information in the big picture (stuff like media event dates). I believe he says "nope" more often, simply because refuting a possibility doesn't give the actual answer (which he likely is not privileged to).

Saying "nope" to the Jay Carney question doesn't reveal who will be the next head of Apple PR. I just confirms that there is one person on this planet who will not be taking that role. It says nothing since there are hundreds of other viable candidates.

The fact that Jim also added "Tim Cook has never met Jay Carney" is information that could only be provided by Apple since Jim doesn't keep Tim's appointment calendar. Clearly Jim was fed highly specific information by someone at Apple (basically with Tim's direct approval). Jim isn't stupid enough to make such declarations on his own.

My guess is that Jim takes a certain perverse delight in getting a lot of attention from saying so little. 

• Reply 35 of 230
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Ahh! More Tea-bagger click bait.

Good Sunday morning, all!

• Reply 36 of 230
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, the irony..... image

Calling Carney a liar and a political hack is just telling the truth. image

Oh boy... just as I suspected: you don't get it, do you? :err:

• Reply 37 of 230
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...a new report saying he is still considering the position.

Good for him. I’m considering the position of US president. That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the possibility of getting it, however.

• Reply 38 of 230
    mpantone wrote: »
    I don't recall it.

"Yup" and "nope" is probably his code words for saying, "Apple has disclosed to me certain highly specific information which I am allowed to confirm (or deny)."

These pinpoint yup/nope answers are highly specific yet generally insignificant questions, none of which disclose much information in the big picture (stuff like media event dates). I believe he says "nope" more often, simply because refuting a possibility doesn't give the actual answer (which he likely is not privileged to).

Saying "nope" to the Jay Carney question doesn't reveal who will be the next head of Apple PR. I just confirms that there is one person on this planet who will not be taking that role. It says nothing since there are hundreds of other viable candidates.

The fact that Jim also added "Tim Cook has never met Jay Carney" is information that could only be provided by Apple since Jim doesn't keep Tim's appointment calendar. Clearly Jim was fed highly specific information by someone at Apple (basically with Tim's direct approval). Jim isn't stupid enough to make such declarations on his own.
    Yeah, I figured a little birdie at Apple feeds Jim his yep's and nope's. Wasn't he the one to break the news on Aperture?
  • Reply 39 of 230
    Oh boy... just as I suspected: you don't get it, do you? :err:
    I get that Apple hiring this hack would be a PR disaster.
  • Reply 40 of 230
    jafujafu Posts: 9member
    Apple sees this as a smart move. By having a White House insider like Carney on staff, Apple would join the "friends of Barack" rank of corporations like General Electric that enjoy exclusions from Obama's punitive tax policies.